What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

Pippen94

First Grade
A few months ago.

I've said plenty about the QRL over the years.

This is the second time you've incorrectly referred to Logan as a "suburb".

Logan is a city with 70 suburbs and 363,301 people. It is twice the size of Townsville.

Don't take my word for it:

On 1 January 1981, Logan was declared a city. Our administration building in Wembley Road was opened in February 1981. Extensions to the building were completed in 1984 and 1993.​

You really have no idea about the geography and history of the Greater Brisbane area.

If you're going to say that the City of Logan's 363,301 permanent residents shouldn't have a Queensland Cup team or one at NRL level, then why do you want tiny cities like Cairns and Townsville to have one?

Cronulla is a suburb in a shire that has 231,723 people.

Parramatta is a city that has 259,878 people.

On the one hand you're happy with Cronulla and Parramatta having teams in the NRL. On the other hand, you reckon Logan shouldn't have a team at any level, despite the fact it's much larger than Cronulla and Parramatta. It's an insane double standard and it makes no sense.

Parramatta is one of largest cbd's in Australia. Population figure u give in not representative of catchment.

Pippen94

First Grade
When did I chuck a tantrum about the Blackhawks?

I don't want anyone to introduce a team in Logan, I was making the point that you seem to blame the Broncos for the Scorpions demise, but not the QRL?

It's mental that you see one suburb in Brisbane as being a higher priority in any expansion discussion.

Ipswich - Logan is priority area for all major codes. Many articles exist where nrl officials mention this

Pippen94

First Grade
Can’t speak for others but yes the perth club will become my main club, I’ll still cheer for Storm as my second club.

difference is brisbane has had a team for years to follow and now has two and rl is the main sport. If you want to be an nrl fan it’s easy to be so. In Perth we dont have that opportunity to get more people following the game. So yes there will be existing rl fans like me who will become fans of the new club bit the aim is through greater coverage of the game and a team to follow we will attract new fans to the nrl.

Most EPL fans live outside of england. There's 17 nrl teams already. Plenty of options for fans regardless which city they reside

The Great Dane

First Grade
When did I chuck a tantrum about the Blackhawks?

I don't want anyone to introduce a team in Logan, I was making the point that you seem to blame the Broncos for the Scorpions demise, but not the QRL?

It's mental that you see one suburb in Brisbane as being a higher priority in any expansion discussion.
You're going to have to get used to it because this myopic, parochial, suburban attitude is the standard modus operandi of Sydney and Brisbane RL fans and the RL establishment in both.

More often than no the people from Brisbane tend to be worse than the Sydneysiders as well. They'll happily complain about the amount of teams in Sydney only to end up proposing, or even demanding, that they're replaced by old BRL sides...

MugaB

Coach
Parramatta is one of largest cbd's in Australia. Population figure u give in not representative of catchment.
I know this coz i live there... bumfk logaite googles every population base and assumes that the area is only of the city pop... he doesn't factor in holroyd, baulkham hills, blacktown, Ryde all areas that surround parramatta... this makes them a very big pressence in western sydney

Canard

Immortal
A few months ago.

I've said plenty about the QRL over the years.

This is the second time you've incorrectly referred to Logan as a "suburb".

Logan is a city with 70 suburbs and 363,301 people. It is twice the size of Townsville.

Don't take my word for it:

On 1 January 1981, Logan was declared a city. Our administration building in Wembley Road was opened in February 1981. Extensions to the building were completed in 1984 and 1993.

You really have no idea about the geography and history of the Greater Brisbane area.

If you're going to say that the City of Logan's 363,301 permanent residents shouldn't have a Queensland Cup team or one at NRL level, then why do you want tiny cities like Cairns and Townsville to have one?

Cronulla is a suburb in a shire that has 231,723 people.

Parramatta is a city that has 259,878 people.

On the one hand you're happy with Cronulla and Parramatta having teams in the NRL. On the other hand, you reckon Logan shouldn't have a team at any level, despite the fact it's much larger than Cronulla and Parramatta. It's an insane double standard and it makes no sense.

My point is that Logan is already well served by NRL teams, with 3 in close proximity. All the rest of your post is deflection.

You're the one that's whined for years about Sydney being over saturated with clubs, but yet you're pushing for more clubs in Brisbane at the expense of real expansion.

Pippen94

First Grade
My point is that Logan is already well served by NRL teams, with 3 in close proximity. All the rest of your post is deflection.

You're the one that's whined for years about Sydney being over saturated with clubs, but yet you're pushing for more clubs in Brisbane at the expense of real expansion.

3rd team there could be very lucrative. That's most important thing

MugaB

Coach

Real expansion like PNG

You don't have a point. You don't even know the difference between a suburb and a city.

If you believed what you're saying then you wouldn't have cracked up about the move to reserve grade weakening the Pride and Cutters. Using your logic, Mackay and Cairns are already serviced by the Cowboys.

Canard

Immortal
You don't have a point. You don't even know the difference between a suburb and a city.

If you believed what you're saying then you wouldn't have cracked up about the move to reserve grade weakening the Pride and Cutters. Using your logic, Mackay and Cairns are already serviced by the Cowboys.
That's 100% my logic, thanks for reiterating my point.

They are already serviced by the Cowboys, and therefore don't need another NRL team, same goes for Brisbane (for the foreseeable future).

I've got no issue with anyone trying to see if they can push for another team in the State League whether it's Logan, Beaudesert or f**king Nimbin.

NRL is what is being discussed here, though, you seem to just conflate this or deflect onto another tangent constantly.

You're going to have to get used to it because this myopic, parochial, suburban attitude is the standard modus operandi of Sydney and Brisbane RL fans and the RL establishment in both.

More often than no the people from Brisbane tend to be worse than the Sydneysiders as well. They'll happily complain about the amount of teams in Sydney only to end up proposing, or even demanding, that they're replaced by old BRL sides...

Broncos and Dolphins draw more revenue from sponsorship than the Sydney clubs. Their TV ratings and attendances are also strong.

If Sydney's clubs were as financially strong and drew similar attendances then there wouldn't be any talk of rationalisation. It's not just the Brisbane RL community that has spoken about rationalisation of Sydney. The Sydney media and NRL have spoken about it at various stages.

There's enough corporate interest in Brisbane to sustain a third team.

Last edited:
That's 100% my logic, thanks for reiterating my point.

They are already serviced by the Cowboys, and therefore don't need another NRL team, same goes for Brisbane (for the foreseeable future).

I've got no issue with anyone trying to see if they can push for another team in the State League whether it's Logan, Beaudesert or f**king Nimbin.

NRL is what is being discussed here, though, you seem to just conflate this or deflect onto another tangent constantly.

You said you're against Logan having a Queensland Cup team a few posts ago. Now you're for it. Make up your mind.

You carried on about the move to reserve grade killing the Pride and Cutters. Before you went irate about the Cowboys' allocating all of their fringe players to the Blackhawks, you said there's no demand in Australia for a professional second-tier competition.

So why the tantrum about the Pride and Cutters?

You chip and change your position to suit your biases.

You're against Brisbane having three teams, yet you want Sydney to have nine. A third Brisbane team is not the same as having nine in Sydney. Anyone who pretends it's the same is either lying or is very ignorant. If the Dolphins were as financially weak as Sydney's smaller clubs then you would have a point, but they're not so your argument is invalid. Dolphins provide more content to the broadcasters in the lucrative but under serviced Brisbane market. A third team offers more to the broadcasters. That's a win for the game because it will lead to more money from broadcast deals going forward.

You laugh at the idea of expansion into southeast Asia, yet you promote Adelaide. The ARLC has shown zero interest in setting up and funding a club in a non-heartland area. There is no interest from the private sector in Adelaide for an NRL team. When some one came on here to talk about expanding into Adelaide you mocked him, proving you're only interested in being combative and don’t believe the shit you say.

Canard

Immortal
You said you're against Logan having a Queensland Cup team a few posts ago. Now you're for it. Make up your mind.

You carried on about the move to reserve grade killing the Pride and Cutters. Before you went irate about the Cowboys' allocating all of their fringe players to the Blackhawks, you said there's no demand in Australia for a professional second-tier competition.

You're against Brisbane having three teams, yet you want Sydney to have nine. A third Brisbane team is not the same as having nine in Sydney. Anyone who pretends it's the same is either lying or is very ignorant. If the Dolphins were as financially weak as Sydney's smaller clubs then you would have a point, but they're not so your argument is invalid. Dolphins provide more content to the broadcasters in the lucrative but under serviced Brisbane market. A third team offers more to the broadcasters. That's a win for the game because it will lead to more money from broadcast deals going forward.

You laugh at the idea of expansion into southeast Asia, yet you promote Adelaide. The ARLC has shown zero interest in setting up and funding a club in a non-heartland area. There is no interest from the private sector in Adelaide for an NRL team. When some one came on here to talk about expanding into Adelaide you mocked him, proving you're only interested in being combative and don’t believe the shit you say.
Can you point to where I said I'm AGAINST Logan having a QCup team?

I'll rephrase my post to make sure my view is clear.

I'm against a third NRL Brisbane team, so soon after the Dolphins. That point I'm clear on.

Yes,I'm also pissed off that the Cowboys are essentially going to kill off QCup in Cairns and Mackay. I don't understand what part of that is at odds with this discussion.

Adelaide is well behind Perth for mine, but would certainly be well ahead of Singapore, which is just a poorly thought out brain fart of an idea.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

I'll rephrase my post to make sure my view is clear.

I'm against a third NRL Brisbane team, so soon after the Dolphins. That point I'm clear on.

Yes,I'm also pissed off that the Cowboys are essentially going to kill off QCup in Cairns and Mackay. I don't understand that part of that is at odds with this discussion.

Adelaide is well behind Perth for mine, but would certainly be well ahead of Singapore, which is just a poorly thought out brain fart of an idea.
You're arguing with a guy who counts using potatos
1 potato, 2 potato, 3 potato, 4....

This is a fanbase that already catered for though.

The Scorpions have no IP worth any value or history in the BRL like the Dolphins, Valleys or Brothers.

The minor issues you mentioned have no resonance with the people of Brisbane or Logan (they just don't care that a short lived unsuccessful BRL ceased to exist almost 2 decades ago). In simple terms, no one gives two f**ks about the Scorpions.

Many a QRL team has failed or ceased to exist since the Broncos came into being in 88, what makes Logan so important that they deserved any special treatment? And anyway wouldn't this be the role of the ARLC, via the QRL?

m against a third NRL Brisbane team, so soon after the Dolphins. That point I'm clear on.

Why?

The Dolphins are generating more revenue from sponsorship than 14 to 15 other clubs. Their attendances and television ratings have been very strong. They've been an overwhelming success on all fronts, despite all of the death riding from people on here. I'll admit that I had some reservations about them due to the size of Dolphin Oval and its distance from Lang Park, but they've proven me and everyone else wrong.

The Brisbane Tigers have a stronger bid than anyone else. They've got the infrastructure and financial backing to survive and thrive in the NRL. They'll be based out of Lang Park and represent the more populated side of Brisbane. They'll also be combating the Lions in eastern Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich. The broadcasters are already talking up Brisbane 3. Whether you like it or not, the Brisbane Tigers tick all the boxes for everything the ARLC and broadcasters want. That puts them at the top of the queue for the 18th licence because the ARLC, QRL and NSWRL is reactive and conservative. They don't give "two f**ks" about expanding into new markets.

Yes,I'm also pissed off that the Cowboys are essentially going to kill off QCup in Cairns and Mackay. I don't understand what part of that is at odds with this discussion.

You said the Scorpions shouldn't have gotten any assistance from the Broncos. You want the Cowboys to allocate their fringe players to the Pride and Cutters. The Cowboys still work with the Cutters and Pride.

See the hypocrisy?

I've seen you advocate Adelaide ahead of Brisbane 3. That's a "brain fart of an idea" if ever there was one and highly unlikely to happen.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why can’t fans south of the river choose to support anyone of the three current seq nrl clubs that do exist? you are using the same arguments that people who justify the need for 9 clubs in sydney use.
inhave no doubts the tigers could be a successful nrl club, but With big markets with no club and seq with 3 already it seems they really aren’t a priority, or shouldn’t be.

Why can’t fans south of the river choose to support anyone of the three current seq nrl clubs that do exist? you are using the same arguments that people who justify the need for 9 clubs in sydney use.
inhave no doubts the tigers could be a successful nrl club, but With big markets with no club and seq with 3 already it seems they really aren’t a priority, or shouldn’t be.

I hate the northern side of Brisbane. Too many snobby yuppies live up that way.

Redcliffe and Gold Coast are too far away from Logan. You're looking at an hour and 20 minutes from Logan Central to Dolphin Oval or Robina Stadium. That's via car. Add on more time if you're catching the train.

I'd be happy with the Magpies relocating permanently to Logan and playing out of Cronulla Park or Heritage Park as the Logan Magpies in the Queensland Cup.

Brisbane Tigers are not going to quit in their pursuit to be an NRL club. Abdo told them they're a chance of getting the 18th licence. Whether it be as team 18, 19 or 20 they're going to get in at some stage. People don't have to like it or agree with it.

MugaB

Coach
I hate the northern side of Brisbane. Too many snobby yuppies live up that way.

Redcliffe and Gold Coast are too far away from Logan. You're looking at an hour and 20 minutes from Logan Central to Dolphin Oval or Robina Stadium. That's via car. Add on more time if you're catching the train.

I'd be happy with the Magpies relocating permanently to Logan and playing out of Cronulla Park or Heritage Park as the Logan Magpies in the Queensland Cup.

Brisbane Tigers are not going to quit in their pursuit to be an NRL club. Abdo told them they're a chance of getting the 18th licence. Whether it be as team 18, 19 or 20 they're going to get in at some stage. People don't have to like it or agree with it.
ComfortableIncompatibleAstarte-size_restricted.gif
Its all about me and logan

Pneuma

First Grade

Potato

Pippen94

First Grade

Perth has 17 teams to choose from

Latest posts