What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
This might seem extreme to judge on one crowd but to me the fact Dolphins vs Titans so two Queensland teams only drew 22k is a definite sign we shouldn’t have another QLD team.

Before the Dolphins Queenslanders always said “we would have 30,000 plus if there was a game at Suncorp every week.” Dolphins have been successful, I’m not debating that but another QLD team over a new area seems very shortsighted. It’s the NRL we are talking about so they will probably be the next new team.
But the Dolphins have averaged 30k at Suncorp this year

Canard

Immortal

Why?

The Dolphins are generating more revenue from sponsorship than 14 to 15 other clubs. Their attendances and television ratings have been very strong. They've been an overwhelming success on all fronts, despite all of the death riding from people on here. I'll admit that I had some reservations about them due to the size of Dolphin Oval and its distance from Lang Park, but they've proven me and everyone else wrong.

The Brisbane Tigers have a stronger bid than anyone else. They've got the infrastructure and financial backing to survive and thrive in the NRL. They'll be based out of Lang Park and represent the more populated side of Brisbane. They'll also be combating the Lions in eastern Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich. The broadcasters are already talking up Brisbane 3. Whether you like it or not, the Brisbane Tigers tick all the boxes for everything the ARLC and broadcasters want. That puts them at the top of the queue for the 18th licence because the ARLC, QRL and NSWRL is reactive and conservative. They don't give "two f**ks" about expanding into new markets.

You said the Scorpions shouldn't have gotten any assistance from the Broncos. You want the Cowboys to allocate their fringe players to the Pride and Cutters. The Cowboys still work with the Cutters and Pride.

See the hypocrisy?

I've seen you advocate Adelaide ahead of Brisbane 3. That's a "brain fart of an idea" if ever there was one and highly unlikely to happen.

When I said a fanbase that's already catered for, it was in terms of NRL teams (surely that's obvious?)

You can't judge the Dolphins as success or failure after half a season in the top grade, it's classic RL recency bias. They need several seasons to truly establish there brand.

Lastly, do you think the Tigers being admitted as team 18 is what's best for RL, or just what you think the ARLC will do? There are not the same thing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I hate the northern side of Brisbane. Too many snobby yuppies live up that way.

Redcliffe and Gold Coast are too far away from Logan. You're looking at an hour and 20 minutes from Logan Central to Dolphin Oval or Robina Stadium. That's via car. Add on more time if you're catching the train.

I'd be happy with the Magpies relocating permanently to Logan and playing out of Cronulla Park or Heritage Park as the Logan Magpies in the Queensland Cup.

Brisbane Tigers are not going to quit in their pursuit to be an NRL club. Abdo told them they're a chance of getting the 18th licence. Whether it be as team 18, 19 or 20 they're going to get in at some stage. People don't have to like it or agree with it.
Must say i do find it a very weird context to “hate” a part of the city I call home Lol
why can’t rl fans in logan support broncos or dolphins and go to Suncorp to watch games?

Pippen94

First Grade
Must say i do find it a very weird context to “hate” a part of the city I call home Lol
why can’t rl fans in logan support broncos or dolphins and go to Suncorp to watch games?

Perth ppl should just pick an existing nrl team to follow. Would be cheaper for NRL

When I said a fanbase that's already catered for, it was in terms of NRL teams (surely that's obvious?)

You can't judge the Dolphins as success or failure after half a season in the top grade, it's classic RL recency bias. They need several seasons to truly establish there brand.

Lastly, do you think the Tigers being admitted as team 18 is what's best for RL, or just what you think the ARLC will do? There are not the same thing.

It would be best for RL to expand into Adelaide, Perth, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Indonesia. Of all those locations, only Perth is a realistic option without funding from the ARLC. The ARLC isn't going to fund expansion into any of these places.

Rationisation of Sydney would also be in the best interests of the game. Four teams in Sydney and 2 in Brisbane would probably be best so we can expand across southeast Asia, New Zealand and the South Pacific. The odds of it happening are very low.

When I talk about expansion into new areas like Singapore I get mocked, despite never saying it's likely to happen. On the other hand, there's plenty of people advocating for expansion into Adelaide, Melbourne 2, PNG and Hawaii despite the odds of it happening being extremely low. It's total hypocrisy by the people who've clogged up this thread with anti-Brisbane 3 rhetoric. This is a thread about the Brisbane Tigers, yet you wouldn't know it with the likes of @Colk and you attacking anyone who dares to support the bid. You and @Colk are entitled to your opinion, but when you smear people who don't think the way you do then you're out of line.

I'm yet to hear any reason for not adding the Brisbane Tigers.

This is what we know:

• The Australian media has expressed their desire to add a third team in Brisbane to boost ratings in SEQ.

They are completely indifferent to Adelaide.

They have a lot of sway over the ARLC's decision making because they provide the bulk of the game's revenue. When the ARLC doesn't toe the line the CEO gets punted.
  • New Zealand 2 might appeal to Foxtel as it will open up more options for the Fri 6pm game. Perth might appeal to Foxtel because it will add a fortnightly 6pm Sunday game.
  • NZ2 and Perth do not offer anything to the News Ltd print media. Brisbane 3 does.
  • The ARLC is reactive and conservative. They're not going to create a team from scratch and fund it for 10 to 15 years -- which is what News Ltd did with the Storm.
  • The Queensland teams will be against Brisbane 3. 12 NRL clubs were against the Dolphins. They still got in.
  • The WA Gov has the opportunity to win the 18th licence by upgrading Perth Oval, building a high performance training centre and sponsoring rugby league in Perth for at least 10 or 15 years.
  • Brisbane Tigers are NRL ready with a high performance training centre and a plan to play all of their matches out of Lang Park.

The club has a strong business model that cannot fail.

They will truly take the fight to the Brisbane Lions in south-east Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich. The NRL is worried about the AFL, so don't underestimate the pull this could have when the 18th licence is awarded.
  • Albanese a PNG/Cairns plan is the worst proposal in the history of Australian sports/politics.

Based on this, the only contenders with a chance are the Brisbane Tigers and a WA Gov-supported bid.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
It would be best for RL to expand into Adelaide, Perth, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji and Indonesia. Of all those locations, only Perth is a realistic option without funding from the ARLC. The ARLC isn't going to fund expansion into any of these places.

Rationisation of Sydney would also be in the best interests of the game. Four teams in Sydney and 2 in Brisbane would probably be best so we can expand across southeast Asia, New Zealand and the South Pacific. The odds of it happening are very low.

When I talk about expansion into new areas like Singapore I get mocked, despite never saying it's likely to happen. On the other hand, there's plenty of people advocating for expansion into Adelaide, Melbourne 2, PNG and Hawaii despite the odds of it happening being extremely low. It's total hypocrisy by the people who've clogged up this thread with anti-Brisbane 3 rhetoric. This is a thread about the Brisbane Tigers, yet you wouldn't know it with the likes of @Colk and you attacking anyone who dares to support the bid. You and @Colk are entitled to your opinion, but when you smear people who don't think the way you do then you're out of line.

This is what we know:

• The Australian media has expressed their desire to add a third team in Brisbane to boost ratings in SEQ.

They have a lot of sway over the ARLC's decision making because they provide the bulk of the game's revenue. When the ARLC doesn't toe the line the CEO gets punted.
  • New Zealand 2 might appeal to Foxtel as it will open up more options for the Fri 6pm game. Perth might appeal to Foxtel because it will add a fortnightly 6pm Sunday game.
  • NZ2 and Perth do not offer anything to the News Ltd print media. Brisbane 3 does.
  • The ARLC is reactive and conservative. They're not going to create a team from scratch and fund it for 10 to 15 years -- which is what News Ltd did with the Storm.
  • The Queensland teams will be against Brisbane 3. 12 NRL clubs were against the Dolphins. They still got in.
  • The WA Gov has the opportunity to win the 18th licence by upgrading Perth Oval, building a high performance training centre and sponsoring rugby league in Perth for at least 10 or 15 years.
  • Brisbane Tigers are NRL ready with a high performance training centre and a plan to play all of their matches out of Lang Park.

They will truly take the fight to the Brisbane Lions in south-east Brisbane, Logan and Ipswich. The NRL is worried about the AFL, so don't underestimate the pull this could have when the 18th licence is awarded.
  • Albanese a PNG/Cairns plan is the worst proposal in the history of Australian sports/politics.

Based on this, the only contenders with a chance are the Brisbane Tigers and a WA Gov-supported bid.
POTATO!!!

mongoose

Coach
Why can’t fans south of the river choose to support anyone of the three current seq nrl clubs that do exist? you are using the same arguments that people who justify the need for 9 clubs in sydney use.
inhave no doubts the tigers could be a successful nrl club, but With big markets with no club and seq with 3 already it seems they really aren’t a priority, or shouldn’t be.
they do, he is very much in the minority.

Colk

First Grade

This is what we know:

Firstly, stop being petulant. People can disagree with the idea of having another QLD team straight away. If they want another side in QLD after all other viable options have been looked at, then fine, but the idea of another side straight away in either NSW or QLD is not a good one in my opinion. You can disagree with that but that’s your opinion and I’ll have mine

Secondly, you have attacked me for being biased, so don’t suggest that you haven’t gone personal as well. It’s also quite ironic considering you mark every post with what about NSW and having nine teams in Sydney etc. I don’t care about what happened with the BRL and NSWRL 30 odd years ago. It is in the past and I don’t see the point of making a decision for the future based on that. You are essentially justifying a decision, as well as inconsistencies thereto to consolidate a market that you wouldn’t consider if the shoe was on the other foot.

Also, this goes back to your previous post directed at me. I agree that RL is incredibly conservative, nevertheless, I don’t see the point of making definitive statements about the future. It is all up in the air considering the expansion has gone from a definite second NZ team around two years ago, to Perth, to PNG and now talking about another Brisbane side. Based on reports one could say PNG is going to come in but essentially it is all guesswork. We’ll know when we know. All I’m saying is that we shouldn’t do another Brisbane side straight away; I’m definitely not saying that they won’t as nobody knows.

Wb1234

Referee
Norths or Brisbane tigers a chance to link with png

I must say either has money so the bid gets even stronger

i probably prefer that tigers tbh but the issue is they could swallow the whole team with their strength

how many games will the tigers want at Suncorp ? 6 ?

with the govt backing and the tigers behind them png will be up there with the broncos or dolphins

Firstly, stop being petulant. People can disagree with the idea of having another QLD team straight away. If they want another side in QLD after all other viable options have been looked at, then fine, but the idea of another side straight away in either NSW or QLD is not a good one in my opinion. You can disagree with that but that’s your opinion and I’ll have mine

Secondly, you have attacked me for being biased, so don’t suggest that you haven’t gone personal as well. It’s also quite ironic considering you mark every post with what about NSW and having nine teams in Sydney etc. I don’t care about what happened with the BRL and NSWRL 30 odd years ago. It is in the past and I don’t see the point of making a decision for the future based on that. You are essentially justifying a decision, as well as inconsistencies thereto to consolidate a market that you wouldn’t consider if the shoe was on the other foot.

Also, this goes back to your previous post directed at me. I agree that RL is incredibly conservative, nevertheless, I don’t see the point of making definitive statements about the future. It is all up in the air considering the expansion has gone from a definite second NZ team around two years ago, to Perth, to PNG and now talking about another Brisbane side. Based on reports one could say PNG is going to come in but essentially it is all guesswork. We’ll know when we know. All I’m saying is that we shouldn’t do another Brisbane side straight away; I’m definitely not saying that they won’t as nobody knows.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I just get sick and tired of people playing the man instead of the ball because they have a different mindset.

I'm not against idea of giving the 18th licence to Perth or NZ 2. If they get it then I'll be happy for them.

My stance on Sydney is justified based on what happened to the BRL, Cowboys, Crushers, Chargers and Reds. The Cowboys and Reds were humstrung from day one by having to cover the flight and accommodation of all away teams that played in Townsville. It bankrupted the club. The stipulation was put in place at the behest of Sydney clubs. You cannot expect me to have any love for Sydney's over saturated RL market when it's the reason we're squabbling over three licences to right the wrongs they created around 30-35 years ago. As a Brisbane RL fan I'm sick of waiting for this wrong to be corrected.

@mongoose, you're not a passionate fan of Brisbane RL. You're just a Raiders fan who lives in Brisbane. Based on the posts you've made about Brisbane over the years I'm convinced you don't even like the place. You most definitely do not represent RL fans who were born and raised in Brisbane.

Perth Red

Post Whore

This is what we know:

Not sure how you've missed the arguments against a Brisbane3 club for club 18.

Basically to summarise whats been said:

1. Its too soon. Dolphins need a few years to make sure they are as solid as they currently look longer term
2. Its not a priority. With limited licenses the NRL should be looking to grow new markets, not just keep adding clubs to existing ones
3. Its not needed. With 3 SEQ teams already there is already choice for local RL fans of clubs to follow

I dont think anyones argued a Tigers owned club in the NRL wouldn't be sustainable or even successful. But the big question is are they needed?

mongoose

Coach
I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I just get sick and tired of people playing the man instead of the ball because they have a different mindset.

I'm not against idea of giving the 18th licence to Perth or NZ 2. If they get it then I'll be happy for them.

My stance on Sydney is justified based on what happened to the BRL, Cowboys, Crushers, Chargers and Reds. The Cowboys and Reds were humstrung from day one by having to cover the flight and accommodation of all away teams that played in Townsville. It bankrupted the club. The stipulation was put in place at the behest of Sydney clubs. You cannot expect me to have any love for Sydney's over saturated RL market when it's the reason we're squabbling over three licences to right the wrongs they created around 30-35 years ago. As a Brisbane RL fan I'm sick of waiting for this wrong to be corrected.

@mongoose, you're not a passionate fan of Brisbane RL. You're just a Raiders fan who lives in Brisbane. Based on the posts you've made about Brisbane over the years I'm convinced you don't even like the place. You most definitely do not represent RL fans who were born and raised in Brisbane.

I know one thing for sure, the Broncos are not a northside club and never have been. They have support from all over the state including Logan. Anyone who argues otherwise doesn't have a clue what they are talking about, they've just looked at Broncos Leagues club on a map and come to a misinformed conclusion.

Pippen94

First Grade

That's just ur opinion. Nothing more. We know u have super league ideals too

Pippen94

First Grade
I know one thing for sure, the Broncos are not a northside club and never have been. They have support from all over the state including Logan. Anyone who argues otherwise doesn't have a clue what they are talking about, they've just looked at Broncos Leagues club on a map and come to a misinformed conclusion.

Morton Bay had broncos, but have their own team which is one of the most successful off field already. South Brisbane can do same with next expansion

Latest posts