What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane Tigers make their bid to be 18th team

MugaB

Coach
In the right circumstance's totally agree, but Bears incalcitrance on their non negotiables means we shouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

Bears relocation does mitigate potential risk options for NRL I suppose in regards to potential for club 21 and 22 in somewhere like Adelaide, Melbourne2 or Gosford, if the Bears last that long.
Hey its not that bad, the whole license issue was the major factor, should be a 50/50split, or at least 40/60 towards WA just to ensure their is the team playing in perth regularly, colors are fine, mascot is strong and they had history with the Nswrl, and are a foundation club... brand overall is pretty strong, even Adelaide couldn't f**k that up...but there aint no players there to groom, Perth got them, just needs more elite coaching, coaching that comes with a NRL team and funding for all that

Perth Red

Post Whore
Most certainly has. Now channeling dolphins bid with connection to history & also focus on specific region.

Firehawks were crushers 2.0
So Dolphins arent like Titans but the Easts back bid was like Crushers? How?

They werent region specific as Firehawks because a genuine Brisbane2 should be at Suncorp attracting fans from all compass points of Brisbane.
They've only now focussed on South side as the NRL in its wisdom is doing whats its done in Sydney and carving the city up into smaller regions for clubs to appeal to

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hey its not that bad, the whole license issue was the major factor, should be a 50/50split, or at least 40/60 towards WA just to ensure their is the team playing in perth regularly, colors are fine, mascot is strong and they had history with the Nswrl, and are a foundation club... brand overall is pretty strong, even Adelaide couldn't f**k that up...but there aint no players there to groom, Perth got them, just needs more elite coaching, coaching that comes with a NRL team and funding for all that
The first point is the one why it will never happen. They want to own the license, remain fundamentally a NSW based club and play some games elsewhere. Whilst that is the case it wont, and shouldn't, happen in Perth. All we need from Bears is the Sydney pathway system. We've got everything else.
Adelaide doesn't have much and unlikely to ever be invested in enough by NRL to be ready to bid alone, which is why a NS owned license in Adelaide might work, though I still reckon they will eventually do everything in their power to get the club back to NSW one day.

Pippen94

First Grade
So Dolphins arent like Titans but the Easts back bid was like Crushers? How?

I don't know what ur talking about with titans.

Firehawks bid was for team representing all of Brisbane & ignored tigers history with new branding. Now singing from dolphins playbook

MugaB

Coach
The first point is the one why it will never happen. They want to own the license, remain fundamentally a NSW based club and play some games elsewhere. Whilst that is the case it wont, and shouldn't, happen in Perth. All we need from Bears is the Sydney pathway system. We've got everything else.
Adelaide doesn't have much and unlikely to ever be invested in enough by NRL to be ready to bid alone, which is why a NS owned license in Adelaide might work, though I still reckon they will eventually do everything in their power to get the club back to NSW one day.
Yeah i don't think they are as slimey as the east tigers crew, yea they pull some of the same media tricks, but generally they are open with their plans, not spouting "the AFL is coming" doom and gloom,
Every bears expansion article i read generally speaks the same line, will go anywhere as long as its bears and colors... usually positive, cant get anymore positive than billy moore

Perth Red

Post Whore
I don't know what ur talking about with titans.

Firehawks bid was for team representing all of Brisbane & ignored tigers history with new branding. Now singing from dolphins playbook
You do understand they cant use Tigers as its already taken dont you? Do you think the new bid is going to be called Brisbane Tigers??? They used the clubs orange colour in the brand along with the Brisbane city colours, so not true that it didn't relate in anyway to the Easts club.

MugaB

Coach
You do understand they cant use Tigers as its already taken dont you? Do you think the new bid is going to be called Brisbane Tigers??? They used the clubs orange colour in the brand along with the Brisbane city colours, so not true that it didn't relate in anyway to the Easts club.
They could be derivative, i used brisbane sabres as a potential logo... nothing needs to change then, keep your colors add one more to be different to wests, just a different type of tiger, a more older prehistoric and larger one...

Hell if they really wanted to gain any traction, they should join with the bears, 10 games at suncorp, 2 in syd

Pippen94

First Grade

Thanks captain obvious. What ur saying is revisionist. In fact I remember you saying dolphins would alienate fans of other brl teams, but firehawks brand wouldn't. Now they were just extension of east tigers..sure

Perth Red

Post Whore
Thanks captain obvious. What ur saying is revisionist. In fact I remember you saying dolphins would alienate fans of other brl teams, but firehawks brand wouldn't. Now they were just extension of east tigers..sure
eh? You said they didnt use any of their history. 1. They cant use the name 2. They brought in their club colour into the brand. Whatever they call themselves isnt going to be Tigers so you arent going to be happy?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They could be derivative, i used brisbane sabres as a potential logo... nothing needs to change then, keep your colors add one more to be different to wests, just a different type of tiger, a more older prehistoric and larger one...

Hell if they really wanted to gain any traction, they should join with the bears, 10 games at suncorp, 2 in syd
They could but some would just say they are a Wests Tigers rip off. One thing about branding is you cant please all the people all the time!
I didnt mind Firehawks, unique, some local history to it, colours were ok and if they'd have used predominantly orange on the jersey not blue then even better. Whatever a club calls itself some wont like it. It wasnt the reason they didnt win the bid, location and Brisbane wide model leading to competition with News ltd owned Broncos saw to that.
Broncos already coming out and saying no more Brisbane teams, good luck getting them in as club 18 against News ltd wishes.

Pippen94

First Grade
eh? You said they didnt use any of their history. 1. They cant use the name 2. They brought in their club colour into the brand. Whatever they call themselves isnt going to be Tigers so you arent going to be happy?

What Shane Richardson is saying now is different to back then.

Personally, Jets brand is a winner so a merger between these groups would be ideal. If not then it's up to tigers to get branding right & find connection to Logan & south.

Pippen94

First Grade
They could but some would just say they are a Wests Tigers rip off. One thing about branding is you cant please all the people all the time!
I didnt mind Firehawks, unique, some local history to it, colours were ok and if they'd have used predominantly orange on the jersey not blue then even better. Whatever a club calls itself some wont like it. It wasnt the reason they didnt win the bid, location and Brisbane wide model leading to competition with News ltd owned Broncos saw to that.
Broncos already coming out and saying no more Brisbane teams, good luck getting them in as club 18 against News ltd wishes.

Yeah but news also own fox so they probably want extra brissie team

Perth Red

Post Whore
What Shane Richardson is saying now is different to back then.

Personally, Jets brand is a winner so a merger between these groups would be ideal. If not then it's up to tigers to get branding right & find connection to Logan & south.
Ive explained that, Brisbane Firehawks were being sold as a club for all of Brisbane, a genuine Brisbane2 club. Not a regional club.
Broncos/News ltd understandably didn't like that and preferred the idea of a northern regional team instead, for obvious reasons. Now having seen that the Easts bid are understandably targeting a smaller portion of Brisbane they think will be less threatening to Broncos. Shame really.

Pippen94

First Grade
Ive explained that, Brisbane Firehawks were being sold as a club for all of Brisbane, a genuine Brisbane2 club. Not a regional club.
Broncos/News ltd understandably didn't like that and preferred the idea of a northern regional team instead, for obvious reasons. Now having seen that the Easts bid are understandably targeting a smaller portion of Brisbane they think will be less threatening to Broncos. Shame really.

Different philosophy; crushers & Melbourne city model vs Fremantle dockers & wanderers approach.