What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

Quidgybo

Bench
How anyone can argue Central Queensland, Port Moresby, or the Central Coast is good for the long term future of the game is beyond me.
Central Queensland probably is a long term target for the game, but it's nowhere near ready yet. The Sunshine Coast is the more likely prospect for a fifth team in Queensland if Brisbane2 or Ipswich get in this time. Port Moresby would be great if it wasn't in a third world country.

Leigh

How anyone can argue Central Queensland, Port Moresby, or the Central Coast is good for the long term future of the game is beyond me.

So plonking teams in growing area's which have no representation and keep producing junior talent year in, year out. Which love their footy, which have the resources, which have the support and have the corporate support backing it isn't good for the long term future? Yet plonking a team in a city which already has a team and it would only succeed in draining that team's resources is good for the future??:lol:

BTW is this bid leaving all the exclusive news to rumours and forums? Or will they get off their arse and start initiatives? Alot of huff and puff but no houses are being blown down.

For anyone to talk down Central Coast, Central Queensland yet talk up Brisbane when concerning rugby league proves you don't know anything about the games nurseries, the game in the rural areas and just how much people in these regions will appreciate a team in comparison to people in the big smoke. Shows a lack of knowledge, lack of investigation and over all lack of smarts. The funny thing is these rural bids have already established key corporate support and general fan support.. where as the big smoke bid has nothing, zero, nil, 0. unless you consider 10 dudes on the net as overwhelming support.:roll:

I think i'll stick to my 28,000 fans and 6800 members and I'm sure Central Queensland supporters will stick to their 25,000 signed petition and the fact 90% of their population breathe, eat and live rugby league.

Last edited:

Quidgybo

Bench
So plonking teams in growing area's which have no representation and keep producing junior talent year in, year out. Which love their footy, which have the resources, which have the support and have the corporate support backing it isn't good for the long term future? Yet plonking a team in a city which already has a team and it would only succeed in draining that team's resources is good for the future??:lol:
With at least seven existing teams based within a 70km radius of Bluetongue Stadium, the Bears bid is in no position to play that card. Fans on the Central Coast have a wide choice of accessible existing teams to support. Fans in SE Queensland have a choice of two, some parts realistically still only have a choice of one.

Leigh

Last edited:
With at least seven existing teams based within a 70km radius of Bluetongue Stadium, the Bears bid is in no position to play that card. Fans on the Central Coast have a wide choice of accessible existing teams to support. Fans in SE Queensland have a choice of two, some parts realistically have a choice of one.

Leigh

Have you ever travelled to and from the Central Coast to Sydney? 70kms turns into 2 hours, 4 hours round trip to watch a 80minute game. I think we are in a position to pull that card, especially if Gallop himself has expressed the difficulty of a large population going from point a) to point b) every weekend. It ends up being costly, long trip for young families especially and therefore puts young families off due to that reason.

SE.Queensland have one team smack bang in the middle of the city of Brisbane and another 40 minutes away by train, which stops right on the door steps of Skilled Park. If that isn't easy or convenient then I don't know what is. Furthermore Central Queensland is a good 4-5+ hour trip one way to either SE.QLD or North QLD.

But like I said previously, these 2 area's have achieved more and much more actually in any regard then Brisbane 2. When we talk about bids and measure them to each other, when concerning Brisbane 2 it's always about what might happen.. with Central Coast it's what IS happening. Don't take getting on the front foot and working for what you want for granted. No bid is going to get a license on a platter though I would assume most of you think Brisbane will all due to geography. Please, Perth is more assured of getting a license then any current bid and they too are putting in hardwork and working for that license. The NRL want to see active work being done in the communities, such was the importance when the Gold Coast Titans won their license. Fans are the one's who buy Foxtel subscriptions, turn up to games, buy memberships, buy merchandise etc.. only a couple of bids have the fan support to already be actively doing this. Can you have a guess who?

People claim that the Bulldogs taking a game to Brisbane is fishing where the fish are? Well out of all the bids, the Central Coast get the most games taken there. Obviously fishing where the fish are. Not only that but we aren't impacting on anyone's supporter group. Who do you think Brisbane 2 will target? The large asian communities of south Brisbane? No, they will target the 10% Brisbane based Bulldogs members, the 25% Brisbane based Titans members, the 10% Brisbane based Dragons members and so on and so forth. In other words dilution. Prove to me otherwise and I'll happily retract the comment and admit I am wrong in this regard.

Goddo

Bench
How many people live within 30km of Bluetongue Stadium?
How many live within 30km of Suncorp?

Give yourself a tripple R&B.

Goddo

Bench
I think i'll stick to my 28,000 fans and 6800 members and I'm sure Central Queensland supporters will stick to their 25,000 signed petition and the fact 90% of their population breathe, eat and live rugby league.

How many of those $20 members are fans of other NRL clubs, but that support the "bring back NSWRL" brigade?

Its the contempory equivelant of the Souths gay pride march of 2001.

Probably half won't follow the Bears. Of the other half, how many will commit to season tickets?
I'd guess the Facebook fan numbers is even more skewed. Takes no commitment to click "like".

Stop spruiking the membership numbers like they are some sort of licence for re-admission.

Goddo

Bench
look, you are obsessed with your ex-NRL club, I get it.

But the game has moved on. Its time you did too.

How many of those $20 members are fans of other NRL clubs, but that support the "bring back NSWRL" brigade?

Its the contempory equivelant of the Souths gay pride march of 2001.

Probably half won't follow the Bears. Of the other half, how many will commit to season tickets?
I'd guess the Facebook fan numbers is even more skewed. Takes no commitment to click "like".

Stop spruiking the membership numbers like they are some sort of licence for re-admission.

Here you go again.. probably.. maybe.. one day...

$20 bare minimum for a team that doesn't exist. Though the mean average is $40 x 6800 and that's before we go into the 80 x $5500. I've been through this on more then 3 occassions in the Central Coast Bears thread already. Look it up. At the end of the day it's more revenue and money in the bank.

If it takes no commitment to click LIKE on a facebook page then why is Brisbane 2 only have 470 fans????????

Memberships are important to any bid, it shows actual financial commitment for a team. It trumps anything to do with petitions, internet polls etc. We have ran a survey in regards to season tickets once if we get a license and an overwhemling 95% of members replied with name your price, take our money because we'll definitely be members. We are running our line almost directly to that of the Titans but it's far more developed and has more financial clout then the Titans did at the same stage.

If memberships aren't important, call up St.George Illawarra up right now and ask them just how UN-important memberships really are.;-)

look, you are obsessed with your ex-NRL club, I get it.

But the game has moved on. Its time you did too.

My ex-NRL team is gone, the North Sydney Bears aren't coming back. My new potential NRL team is the Central Coast Bears and i'll fight tooth and nail for the regions right to have their own team. EVEN though I'm a Brisbane boy and Queenslander through and through.. This isn't about states, this isn't about geography, this is about a rapidly growing, rugby league region finally getting the team they deserved through hardwork, commitment and resources. When all is said and done, people like myself, Beowulf and the hundreds of volunteers will have done more for the game of rugby league then any one of the cynical people who sit on their arse and think their opinion is king.. without ever putting in a day's hardwork for the game or for their team. We don't expect anything on a platter, all the numbers and figures I constantly post up are a result of hardwork. We'll work for everything we get and have achieved. Which will be further proof of sustainability, support and commitment.

Last edited:
I can see why the North Sydney crowd would only want to go up against the Central Qld bid. It's the only one they can beat.

Heaps of people who don't have a team to turn up to the stadium and support.

They do have teams. The Sydney teams. And it's a easy train trip to see any one of them on any given weekend. Not to mention that several games are played there anyway.

Heaps of people who can watch the Broncos at almost any time or can take an easy, hassle free 40mins train ride to the Gold Coast.

Heaps of them don't support the Broncos and unless the trains have sped up recently it's more than 40mins to Robina from anywhere other than Logan.

Quidgybo

Bench
Have you ever travelled to and from the Central Coast to Sydney?
Yes I have. I've also travelled Central Coast to Newcastle, Redcliffe to the Gold Coast, Gympie to Suncorp, Toowoomba to Suncorp and the Gold Coast, Cairns to Townsville, Rockhampton to Townsville, East Ham to Wembley, San Jose to San Francisco. All several to many times. Amongst other places. One and a half to two hours each way? Easy. Not even a day trip.

Leigh

I can see why the North Sydney crowd would only want to go up against the Central Qld bid. It's the only one they can beat.
I'm not trying go up against Central Queensland, if you could read properly, you would see I'm actually giving Central Queensland praise. We have most of the other bids beat, it's common knowledge.. unless equity, support, memberships, sponsors, corporate support suddenly has NOTHING to do with the game...

They do have teams. The Sydney teams. And it's a easy train trip to see any one of them on any given weekend. Not to mention that several games are played there anyway.
No, it's not. Unless you have a private plane/helicopter and a runway outside every Sydney stadium.

Heaps of them don't support the Broncos and unless the trains have sped up recently it's more than 40mins to Robina from anywhere other than Logan.
BS. I live smack bang in between the Gold Coast and Brisbane, it's 20 mins either way by train. Max. being 25mins each way.

Quidgybo said:
Yes I have. I've also travelled Central Coast to Newcastle, Redcliffe to the Gold Coast, Gympie to Suncorp, Toowoomba to Suncorp and the Gold Coast, Cairns to Townsville, Rockhampton to Townsville, East Ham to Wembley, San Jose to San Francisco. All several to many times. Amongst other places. One and a half to two hours each way? Easy. Not even a day trip.

Leigh
One and a half to two hours easy when it's you and a few mates, not so when it's a young family.

Just a question out of curiosity, how many people here on this forum would become fully fledged supporters of Brisbane 2 and/or members? I'm sure most of you guys already support an existing team..

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
^ I would support them as my second team (provided their brand isn't too lame), but I personally prefer the Western Corridor bid to the Brisbane II bid.

But I am of the firm belief that the next 2 expansion clubs have to, you know, expand the competition to new and underutilized markets.

Unless a Sydney licence becomes available, the Central Coast Commets are where they belong - the NSW Cup.

Quidgybo

Bench
One and a half to two hours easy when it's you and a few mates, not so when it's a young family.
Some of the best memories of my childhood were the big trips out to the football with my Dad. Most of them were at least a couple of days drive each way. We did that about once a year. A big match (tour, Panasonic Cup or NSWRL) came to town every two or three years. They were maybe forty minutes each way from home. With the early match we were probably out for four to five hours. Even though the trip was shorter, I still loved the time with my Dad. The rest of the time we had to settle for what we could get on the ABC.

Thank you for raising those memories. I love football.

Leigh.

^ I would support them as my second team (provided their brand isn't too lame), but I personally prefer the Western Corridor bid to the Brisbane II bid.

But I am of the firm belief that the next 2 expansion clubs have to, you know, expand the competition to new and underutilized markets.

Unless a Sydney licence becomes available, the Central Coast Commets are where they belong - the NSW Cup.

Exactly, your SECOND team. This isn't good enough, a new team will need people who will support them as their FIRST team. Because people will spend more on their first team then a second team. However considering even Crag Davison came out from day one and said he was a Broncos man first, Brisbane 2 second.. that really sums it up. Being seconds means less commitment, less passion, less initiative. People who support the Central Coast bid, support them as their FIRST team ditto with W.A. Reds supporters and Central Queensland supporters. You can't expect to accomplish grand things with one eye and half your heart dedicated to another organization.

I didn't realize that the Central Coast Bears were a NSW Cup bid.. could have sworn they were an NRL bid therefore their comments belong in the NRL.

Some of the best memories of my childhood were the big trips out to the football with my Dad. Most of them were at least a couple of days drive each way. We did that about once a year. A big match (tour, Panasonic Cup or NSWRL) came to town every two or three years. They were maybe forty minutes each way from home. With the early match we were probably out for four to five hours. Even though the trip was shorter, I still loved the time with my Dad. The rest of the time we had to settle for what we could get on the ABC.

Thank you for raising those memories. I love football.

Leigh.

No problem. However lets give the kids on the coast a chance to support their home team with their dad's/mom's too. Especially families with 2, 3 or 4 children.

Last edited:

clarency

Juniors
CCB will never be as strong as a second Bris team. They have the resources to make it but nowhere near enough to match what BrisII could be if they get in. You can say they don't have it at this point in time, but just see how many people jump on the wagon over the next couple of years if they get accepted.

Passion is easily reversible... Weren't a bunch of diehard Raiders fans burning their jerseys and vandalising the teams' cars a while ago? You have to ensure viability through success or failure, which helps if you have a giant population like Brisbane.

CCB will be average.

BS. I live smack bang in between the Gold Coast and Brisbane, it's 20 mins either way by train. Max. being 25mins each way.

You're full of sh:t.

It's 1 hour and 16 minutes from Central Station in Brisbane to Robina Station. More from anywhere except the stations on the Gold Coast line.

If you're going to make sh:t up at least have the sense to make up stuff that can't be very easily proven wrong.

http://translink.com.au/travel-information

Why do the North Sydney brigade have to troll on here AND lie as well? Their whole bid is based on smoke and mirrors.

Trying to claim they have a population are of 1.1m yet they aren't just another Sydney club.
Trying to claim they have 7000 members even though it only costs $15 to be a member which is nothing compared to an actual membership for an actual club.
Trying to claim their fans are diehard Bears supporters and not just fans of Sydney clubs while all Brisbane fans would only follow a second team as a "second team".

It's all bullshit. Deluded bullshit. They don't offer more in terms of crowds, fans or TV dollars and that's the crux of it. In fact the TV dollars would be enough on its own.

CCB will never be as strong as a second Bris team. They have the resources to make it but nowhere near enough to match what BrisII could be if they get in. You can say they don't have it at this point in time, but just see how many people jump on the wagon over the next couple of years if they get accepted.

Passion is easily reversible... Weren't a bunch of diehard Raiders fans burning their jerseys and vandalising the teams' cars a while ago? You have to ensure viability through success or failure, which helps if you have a giant population like Brisbane.

CCB will be average.

Central Coast Bears are stronger than a second Brisbane right now. We can only build on what we have accomplished. By the time Brisbane 2 catches up, we'll have kicked on again and be further in front. If people felt the need to jump on the wagon, why not do it right now? To give the bid the best possible opportunity at getting accepted? Why wait?

Raiders have nothing to do with the Central Coast Bears.

Central Coast Bears will prove to be anything but average. Hence the overwhelming support currently in a corporate aspect and a community aspect. Something average doesn't have all the support and resources that we do whilst still being in a bid stage.

Goddo

Bench
The Bears won't be back, and this will be the reason:

The Bears do not value ad to the TV rights deal (the main financial driver in our game).