What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane2 Bid News

Which Brisbane2 Team Name?

• Total voters

sheepbender

Juniors
For all those worried about the 15 names and how poor the choices are, this was posted by the Bid team on their facebook page :

Brisbane NRL Expansion Bid Hey guys - just an update....the top 15 are the most common suggestions we've received so far....nothing is set in concrete at all - the more feedback we get the better positioned it is for the right brand to cover all the checkpoints.

So if you dont like the names, get on their website and submit your team names and designs for consideration..

docbrown

Coach
For all those worried about the 15 names and how poor the choices are, this was posted by the Bid team on their facebook page :

Brisbane NRL Expansion Bid Hey guys - just an update....the top 15 are the most common suggestions we've received so far....nothing is set in concrete at all - the more feedback we get the better positioned it is for the right brand to cover all the checkpoints.

So if you dont like the names, get on their website and submit your team names and designs for consideration..

Likely because the shortlist is so ordinary and they've been getting feedback indicating as such.

I still think that Applesauce's griffin/royal/South Queensland Kings idea is the best of the other concepts posted on here.

BDGS

Bench

hahaha, nice cover.

smithie

Juniors
Queensland Reds and Wallabies star Quade Cooper re-signs with ARU for one more year

Queensland Reds and Wallabies playmaker Quade Cooper has re-signed with the Australian Rugby Union until the end of the 2012 season.

The in-form fly half confirmed the one-year deal at a press conference on Thursday morning, ending speculation he would switch to rugby league or take up a big-money offer in European rugby.

"It's an exciting time to be part of Australian rugby, with the Reds going so well and the World Cup coming up, so I'm glad everything is now squared away," the 23-year-old said.

"The vibe within the Reds team and the support we're getting from our fans is incredible and I'm proud to be part of it going forward.

"It's about focusing on football and moving forward. I just want to keep improving as a player and I felt that the Reds was the best place to do it."

But while the ARU has Cooper safely locked away next year, the one-year deal leaves the door open for a possible code switch in 2013.

Cooper was linked with Parramatta last year, and has been named as a target of the second Brisbane NRL team, should they get the nod to join the competition in 2013.

The second Brisbane team have also expressed an interest in All Blacks and Crusaders star Sonny Bill Williams.

"It's obviously a good option to have," Cooper said when asked whether teaming up with his good friend Williams was a genuine option.

"Sonny is one of the best centres in world rugby at the moment and the things he's doing on the field - a player like myself would love to play with a guy like that.

"To have that as an option would be great, but it's pretty far away in my mind at the moment.

"But it's something to think about and we'll see down the track when we get to that year."

One carrot that could see Cooper extend his contract again next year is the British and Irish Lions Tour to Australia in 2013.

This would be Cooper's only chance to face the famous Lions outfit, which along with playing at a World Cup, is one of the great honours of world rugby.

With Cooper's deal done, the attention will now shift to another of Australian rugby's brightest stars.

James O'Connor is weighing up the option of moving home to Queensland, with offers from Melbourne Rebels, the Brumbies and his current club, Western Force.

If O'Connor did decide to head home, the Reds would boast one of the most-dangerous backlines in Super Rugby.

Cooper admitted he'd love to have O'Connor playing alongside him, but stopped short of suggesting his signature would help draw his good mate home to Ballymore.

"If we can have a guy like him at the Reds for the next year or few years going forward, I'm sure that'll boost our playing stocks," Cooper said

"But I'm not about to put too much pressure on him, I was in that position not so long ago and it's pretty heavy when you've got teams pulling you each way.

"So we'll let him make his mind up and I'm sure he'll make the right decision for himself."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...or-one-more-year/story-e6frf55l-1226058798252

Brutus

Referee
I know I have said it before, but white, forest green and navy blue.

bne.jpg
bnw.jpg

That looks great

Goddo

Bench

Very interesting. With the second Brisbane side, the Qld Reds would have to be the team with the most to lose. By having only one team in Brissy, the NRL has given AFL and Super Rugby a leg up - we have left our second biggest market with as many sides as our rivals.

The Reds are getting 25-35k crowds at the moment, and the Lions are averaging 25k. Hopefully a one-two Broncos/Brisbane II combo would put a nice dent in that support. This second team would introduce an intra-city rivalry, something the one dimensional RU and AFL clubs would struggle with.

2 teams also mitigates the risk of form based interest - more likely to have teams in a competitive position on the ladder. You'd also get a general city wide bandwagon getting behind whichever team is performing, and almighty clashes if both are firing (ala Man U. Man City).

Then there is the potential to draw more of the overall corporate dollar in Brisbane to Rugby League - potentially harming the sponsorships of the Lions and Reds. Then there is the crowd factor - A second Brisbane side could reasonably expect to average somewhere around 25k, and would generate derby interest with the Titans and Broncos. Hopefully this would see a coresponding drop in support for the Lions and Reds.

... and theres the TV ratings potential - a metro Brisbane team in the 3rd largest OzTam city... more NSW vs Qld clashes to maximise ratings in both states, and across pay TV games.

Also, having two teams competing for juniors, coaches, controvercies, et cetera it generates more media stories and interest, possibly reducing the exposure AFL and RU get.

In that light, if this bid gets the nod, it must chase Quade Cooper, one or two Broncos or Titans players, and any notable Queenslanders playing for NSW clubs, like Boyd (but he will be at Newcastle till 2015). SBW would be nice too. Priority signings would be something like:

1. Boyd
6. Cooper
11. Myles
12. SB Williams

Last edited:

smithie

Juniors
Very interesting. With the second Brisbane side, the Qld Reds would have to be the team with the most to lose. By having only one team in Brissy, the NRL has given AFL and Super Rugby a leg up - we have left our second biggest market with as many sides as our rivals.

The Reds are getting 25-35k crowds at the moment, and the Lions are averaging 25k. Hopefully a one-two Broncos/Brisbane II combo would put a nice dent in that support. This second team would introduce an intra-city rivalry, something the one dimensional RU and AFL clubs would struggle with.

2 teams also mitigates the risk of form based interest - more likely to have teams in a competitive position on the ladder. You'd also get a general city wide bandwagon getting behind whichever team is performing, and almighty clashes if both are firing (ala Man U. Man City).

Then there is the potential to draw more of the overall corporate dollar in Brisbane to Rugby League - potentially harming the sponsorships of the Lions and Reds. Then there is the crowd factor - A second Brisbane side could reasonably expect to average somewhere around 25k, and would generate derby interest with the Titans and Broncos. Hopefully this would see a coresponding drop in support for the Lions and Reds.

... and theres the TV ratings potential - a metro Brisbane team in the 3rd largest OzTam city... more NSW vs Qld clashes to maximise ratings in both states, and across pay TV games.

Also, having two teams competing for juniors, coaches, controvercies, et cetera it generates more media stories and interest, possibly reducing the exposure AFL and RU get.

In that light, if this bid gets the nod, it must chase Quade Cooper, one or two Broncos or Titans players, and any notable Queenslanders playing for NSW clubs, like Boyd (but he will be at Newcastle till 2015). SBW would be nice too. Priority signings would be something like:

1. Boyd
6. Cooper
11. Myles
12. SB Williams

Cooper Cronk has shown some interest in playing for a second Brisbane team. A Quade Cooper Cronk combo would be great.

Goddo

Bench
Interesting that Canterbury and Manly are taking their home games away to Suncorp against the Titans and Broncos repsectively.

Clearly an indicator that some Sydney clubs think that Brisbane is an under-utilised NRL market.

Suncorp hosts 12 Broncos home games,

smithie

Juniors
not sure about manly - but i think dogs have bee doing it for at least 3 years

Correct. Apparently over 10% of the Bulldogs members are in South-East QLD. Due to the Dogs success with the Suncorp Doubleheader up to five Sydney clubs are now trying to get a piece of the action. Don't know how Manly got over the line.

Goddo

Bench
^ how about we maybe put a second NRL side in Brisbane? That way the NRL can tap into that support?

2 Brisbane games hosting each popular Sydney team.

Maybe? Fish where the fish are? Rather than plonking a team in Gosford which will at best add another 13k averaging side to the already crowded Sydney market.

We need more strong teams, not more of the same.

johns_reds

First Grade
^ how about we maybe put a second NRL side in Brisbane? That way the NRL can tap into that support?

2 Brisbane games hosting each popular Sydney team.

Maybe? Fish where the fish are? Rather than plonking a team in Gosford which will at best add another 13k averaging side to the already crowded Sydney market.

We need more strong teams, not more of the same.

Agree 100%, I would love to see a second team in Brisbane, would be the start of a great rivalry

Goddo

Bench
There seem to be so many "lets bring back the NSWRL" karmichaels around, when what the game needs is growth in a national footprint and to exploit our second biggest market, SE Queensland.

How anyone can argue Central Queensland, Port Moresby, or the Central Coast is good for the long term future of the game is beyond me.

Latest posts