What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brisbane3 - What is needed to make it a successful bid?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Jets partnering with Bombers last time and now Newtown sorta says to me one or both parties aren’t interested.

Shane Richardson in an interview a year or more ago was spruiking all the benefits of the Western corridor, at the time he was leading the Tigers/Firehawks. I guess Easts’ plan is to bid and say they’re a team for the West, kinda like Dolphins said they were going to represent the Sunshine Coast.
Yep you're right, if they were going to get married you'd think it would have already happened.

Easts do believe they can go it alone (they can certainly afford to). All I'd have to say to them is good luck with gaining traction with your brand out west, not impossible, but you've started with an uphill battle to climb.

Vee

First Grade
Jets partnering with Bombers last time and now Newtown sorta says to me one or both parties aren’t interested.

Shane Richardson in an interview a year or more ago was spruiking all the benefits of the Western corridor, at the time he was leading the Tigers/Firehawks. I guess Easts’ plan is to bid and say they’re a team for the West, kinda like Dolphins said they were going to represent the Sunshine Coast.
Or North Sydney and anywhere that will have them.

flippikat

Bench
Yep you're right, if they were going to get married you'd think it would have already happened.

Easts do believe they can go it alone (they can certainly afford to). All I'd have to say to them is good luck with gaining traction with your brand out west, not impossible, but you've started with an uphill battle to climb.
I always thought that a Brisbane Jets.. colors - Green with orange & white trim - as a joint venture between Brisbane Easts & Ipswich (probably majority Easts as they're the money here) was an idea worth fostering.

While it's a shame that's passed, the next best thing is this Jets hookup. It's just sad that it leaves such a financial powerhouse as Brisbane Easts on the sideline unless Brisbane can accommodate 2 more NRL teams.

flippikat

Bench
21 Fiji
22 Jets
23 NZ3
24 Adelaide

No room for Brisbane tigers
Fiji is an interesting one - they seem to have infrastructure & security somewhat better than PNG, but the financial aspect is still a question mark on the idea.

If it can be self-sustaining, it would basically be a "hub" for a Pacific Island presence - and somewhere Samoan & Tongan talent could feed into.

jim_57

Staff member
They do represent the Sunshine Coast. Saw plenty of supporter gear for the Dolphins on the streets last time I was there.

They stopped playing there after one year, if they start again once the new stadium is built then maybe. Of course they’ll have some fans up there as they’re the closest team. FWIW though I didn’t see much Dolphins gear when I was up there last month.

Edit: They did play a trial there this year actually.

Sunshine Coast is supposed to be 540k by 2046, which at best is around when teams 23-24 will be looked at (if ever), hopefully they bid for their own team down the line.

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Easts might have to do a Bears and relocate to Sunshine Coast if they don’t get Brisbane 3. 3 teams in Brisbane is heaps, even if one is based out of Ipswich.
Fair point, and that's the kind of creative thinking that might be needed to get Brisbane Easts "over the line" as far as NRL status goes.

It does setup a potential battle (again) with the Dolphins over who best caters to that region, but I dare say that if Easts- or at least an Easts-owned club - becomes the NRL's Sunshine Coast team, then it means the Dolphins can refocus to being the NRL club that largely serves Brisbane's northern suburbs

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I always thought that a Brisbane Jets.. colors - Green with orange & white trim - as a joint venture between Brisbane Easts & Ipswich (probably majority Easts as they're the money here) was an idea worth fostering.

While it's a shame that's passed, the next best thing is this Jets hookup. It's just sad that it leaves such a financial powerhouse as Brisbane Easts on the sideline unless Brisbane can accommodate 2 more NRL teams.
If say Easts miss out to The Jets (which I think would be unlikely, I think Easts would be the favourite), they still have the option of buying a stake in the publicly traded Broncos to gain their NRL franchise. Broncos don't have their own pathways and Easts can't use the Tiger. If Easts bought into the Broncos, They get an NRL brand that is already the biggest in the game and the Broncos get a footy club setup with pathways in the QLD system without any messy 'The Broncos' stipulations from the QRL.

flippikat

Bench
If say Easts miss out to The Jets (which I think would be unlikely, I think Easts would be the favourite), they still have the option of buying a stake in the publicly traded Broncos to gain their NRL franchise. Broncos don't have their own pathways and Easts can't use the Tiger. If Easts bought into the Broncos, They get an NRL brand that is already the biggest in the game and the Broncos get a footy club setup with pathways in the QLD system without any messy 'The Broncos' stipulations from the QRL.
That's an interesting scenario, and could be a way forward - especially if the Jets bridge the financial gap between their bid & Easts bid and manage to execute the "appeal to nostalgia" play that seems to be getting the Bears over the line.

An Easts takeover of the Broncos (hell even a solid minority share) solves their branding dilemma too - as you say, they get a huge & already established brand right from the get-go.

flippikat

Bench
18 - Western Bears
19 - PNG
20 - NZ 2 (Christchurch)
21 - Jets (Ipswich/Newtown- based in West Brisbane)
22 - Adelaide
23 - NZ 3 (Wellington?)
24 - Fiji

With Brisbane Easts investing in the Broncos (partial or full share)

There we go?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder when the NRL will get to 24 teams ?

2050?
who knows. it took 16 years to get to 17, looking like 4 years from then to get to 18, possibly much shorter to get to 20. After that it could be a 15 year wait or it could be sooner before we get to 22.
End of day its about how much revenue new clubs can generate for the NRL. At some point you'd think tv reaches saturation as we run out of stand alone game slots. It costs NRL around $18-20mill to add a club. possibly more if the clubs keep getting their begging bowls out every time there is a whiff of expansion.

BuffaloRules

Coach
who knows. it took 16 years to get to 17, looking like 4 years from then to get to 18, possibly much shorter to get to 20. After that it could be a 15 year wait or it could be sooner before we get to 22.
End of day its about how much revenue new clubs can generate for the NRL. At some point you'd think tv reaches saturation as we run out of stand alone game slots. It costs NRL around $18-20mill to add a club. possibly more if the clubs keep getting their begging bowls out every time there is a whiff of expansion.

I hear you .. but you can’t assume what has happened in the past to be the same in the future …

They need to make sure the players that make the NRL level are kept happy and incentivised to play our game

Latest posts