What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos shopping Gillette and Nikorima to Dragons

BRONCOS stars have appealed for Wayne Bennett to keep Matt Gillett and Kodi Nikorima as it emerged the off-contract duo have been shopped to the Dragons.

The in-form Gillett and supersub Nikorima have a chance to increase their bargaining power when they confront the Dragons on Thursday night at Suncorp Stadium.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Gillett will have to sacrifice $200,000 to stay at the Broncos, while Nikorima is testing his value on the open market after his sizzling solo try against the Titans last week.

The Dragons are one NRL rival desperate for firepower. The joint venture club has the worst attack in the league after five rounds, having scored just 40 points, and would relish the offensive punch offered by Gillett and Nikorima.

The Broncos are battling salary cap pressures as they look to broker an extension for skipper Corey Parker and if Gillett opts to stay, there is a fear the club could lose Nikorima.

Coach Bennett has privately spoken to Gillett and Nikorima about their futures at the club. Broncos fullback Darius Boyd won a title alongside Bennett at the Dragons in 2010, but hopes the duo shun the Red V to chase a premiership ring at Red Hill.

Now this is what the doctor ordered !

A top half and a gun forward to strengthen the pack.

Lets hope the recruitment team manage to snag Nikorima and Gillett. Plenty of cap space available for 2017.

Would love to see it happen effective immediately.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Nikorima would be cheaper than Keary, Brooks or Moses.

Not sure about Gillett, if we sign him, it probably means Joel Thompson is heading back to the raiders.

duck

Juniors
Oh f***ing great. Now watch this pair tear us a new arsehole trying to impress their new club.

BigBoss

Juniors
Big yes for Nikorima from me. He hardly gets any game time but I liked what I saw over in england when he played at halfback. Only 22 and also a kiwi to boot. Would probably be much cheaper then all the other options too.

Not sure on Gillett tbh, he'll probably be after some big coin if he leaves broncos. Depends if someone leaves.

Last edited:

RED73V

Juniors
:thumb:thumbJust saw the article on zero tackle F£#K Benji's $300,000 offer go after Gillette & Nikorima problem solved. Nikorima has age on his side especially for a half & it would be great to repay Bennett for the mess he left us in:thumb:thumb

Coffs dragon

Bench
Won't happen as Nikorima is too quick and Gillette too skillful with an off load. Mary would coach this skill out of them and turn them into more stockpiled duds on big dollars. Too many points in this duo to be wasted playing the grind of Dragons Footy. Easier solution might be change our coach first, then these players would be great buys for the club.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Sorry to be 'that' guy but why would anyway want to sign with us at the moment?

I totally agree, it needs to be like the Eels where the coach attracted a big name player like Foran & then a few established rep stars like Jennings & Scott will follow.

BennyV

Referee
Nikorima would be a good signing as halfback, or even as hooker.

Gillette would be a waste. Cost massive dollars and we'd just end up underutilising his strengths anyway.

Da Doctor

Juniors
Qld halves are a cut above at the moment due to their junior league rules which encourage to play what you see in front of you, not structure at all costs. For that reason, Kodi will be worth a punt and half or hooker (bye, bye Rein).

Gillett, powerful back rower and a perfect compliment to Frizell. Imagine our starting pack with that back row and Packer, Masoe and man-bun at lock! Destructive!!!

As far as coin goes, we may have to pay overs and lighten our depth a little, but if that brings success, then we become more attractive to players in the future.

Any thoughts?

BrissyRedV

Bench
Throw everything we have at kodi and Cherrington and that is our halfback and hooker combo for the next 10 years.

Yes to both. Gillette is excellent and Nikorima has real potential.

But how will that translate into Dragon's footy?

Straight Shooter

mobels

Juniors
Would love for the Dragons to sign Nikorima as a utility, whilst eventually transitioning into a full time halfback/hooker. Not to sure on signing Gillete as we have Thompson and Frizzell which are great players who would be on much less compared to what Gillette would be looking for.

blacksafake

First Grade
We're all dreaming.Would love it to happen but can't see it,the thought of friz & gillett in the backrow is salivating but as previously mentioned mary would coach the bejesus out of them with gillett turing into another one of our battering rams whose sole job would be to run at the defence not through a hole & do not, repeat do not even think about offloading to somebody unless they are standing still with defenders around them.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Would love both these palyers to be in the redV. But they would be wasted within our current attack. No single player will fix the attack while they are playing to poorly "coached" structures :(
We need to fix that rubbish up!

Dragonscales

Juniors
We don't need Gillett, but i won't be complaining if we poach him. I will be if we paid overs though... i do like the look of a Frizell, de Belin and Gillett back row.

I wouldn't mind taking the Gamble on Niko at 6 or 7 for us in 2017, huge potential, could be a masterstroke signing, he'll come cheaper than any other half we'll sign and could turn out a gun but could also turn out to be a dud.

BigBoss

Juniors
Just hope we act fast enough though, it's not like we have a good record; or any kind of record for bringing in new players.

Latest posts