What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Broncos V St Helens match thread

Shorty

Staff member
eelavation said:
yes...well played that game in April and at Suncorp and you lap them. The poms use the WCC as a councelling session to make them feel good.
It's just about the only thing they can win:lol:

Big Pete

Referee
Yeah, I have to agree with the comments on Lockyer, some terrible passes but I wouldn't say his worse performance, just his usual bad game in 04-06 form IMO.

I agree with the majority of the board most of our players looked pretty rusty. I only watched the second half but Boyd was granted no favours playing outside Tate who's known for running the ball not passing. Tate too, was fairly ordinary apart from that run he made early in the first half...although he then got pushed into touch by Sean Long of all people!

Michaels continues to impress me, made some great runs and came up with some good plays too. Seems like a very smart, safe player. He will be in the line up come Round 1.

Hodges was good but not as good as he can be, possibly playing at the left centre could be apart of that reason. However, he did some good things, especially that kick and chase he put on late in the second half.

Same can be said about Lockyer in terms of that it was certainly not his best performance, certainly wasn't his worse though. Perry played one of the worst games I've seen him play, will really need to step it up a notch.

As for the forwards, I thought Eastwood was good for the time he played, Parker was good too, apart from that miss. Very solid - Above solid pack IMO, Carroll made some good hits but didn't notice too much in terms of hit ups. I thought Berrigan played much better than Ennis, Ennis seems like a hooker that plays the whole 80, while Berrigan should just play his Origin role of quick darts out of dummy half and fast play the balls to put his team on the front foot. Actually Berrigan impressed me again today.

Overall, it was a good way to spend some time, this is footy right, better than watching say Kerri-Anne in the morning or Family Feud all week long. Shame my team didn't get up but glad to of watched a decent game of footy.

Bring on Round 1!

simon says

First Grade
simon says said:
If by class you mean the ability to rake the ball out of a players hand after he is tackled without the ref catching him, then yes he is an EXTREMELY classy player.

Oooooh,and I nearly forgot the CLASSY spear tackle he put on Thaiday......cant believe that didnt even get a penalty......looked a cut and dried lifting spear to me

Leek UK

Juniors
Captain_Fred said:
No-one said you shouldn't. You certainly are...I see you've found the emoticons
im by no way a saints fan fred but the game was a credit to RL,i hope the game is in ozz next year .

Leek UK

Juniors
simon says said:
Oooooh,and I nearly forgot the CLASSY spear tackle he put on Thaiday......cant believe that didnt even get a penalty......looked a cut and dried lifting spear to me
agree that was bad,hope thaiday is ok.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Leek UK said:
a moderator swearing,naughty naughty.
u must be upset

not really, i don't really care...the fact remains that any pom side wouldn't be able to handle the week to week rigours of the NRL comp, it's a no brainer isn't it?

Ice777

Bench
fourplay said:
We can keep pretending the NRL is so far ahead.. but 6 of the last 7 World Club Challenges? Excuses are running out.

I think that's drawing a long bow. For one i'd lay any money you'd like that if the games were played over here instead of the UK the win loss table between the 2 leagues would be pretty much the same, but the only difference would be is that it'd favour Australian sides. Or if the game alternated between countries every year then i'm sure you'd see a much more even table. If you think the travel factor doesn't have anything to do with it then you're dreaming.

Secondly, you can't compare how close the English league as opposed to the NRL by how many times their top side has beaten our top side. You can't only judge the two tope teams, you have to look at all teams from both leagues as a whole. Yes the top few sides might be comparable, but go down the list and i think you'll find that the NRL goes alot deeper than the English league.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Cowgirl86 said:
It's just about the only thing they can win:lol:

the only way I'll take it seriously if we have 8 teams [the top 4 sides from each comp] compete for the prize, in a knockout style tournamount that lasts 4 weeks.

you'll see the poms true clours shining through there.;-)

Bicey_18

Bench
One of the only things I agree with Gus on refers to England and the WCC

Every year Gus says that this match means more to England and the game over there then it does to Australia. The game needs to stay in England as if it was ever played in Australia then soon enough it would be dead and buried as the Aussie sides would smash em each time, at least if its played in England the game is kind of competitive.

To the Aussie public this game is just another game, like a trial for the NRL season ahead. To England its huge, the ESL even changed around the fixtures to suit the game so it must mean alot to them.

It gives England something to cheer about for a while and good on them... Saints played well and deserved the win, great effort.

But to say they could win in the NRL is really a ridiculous comment

Stagger eel

Staff member
Bicey_18 said:
One of the only things I agree with Gus on refers to England and the WCC

Every year Gus says that this match means more to England and the game over there then it does to Australia. The game needs to stay in England as if it was ever played in Australia then soon enough it would be dead and buried as the Aussie sides would smash em each time, at least if its played in England the game is kind of competitive.

To the Aussie public this game is just another game, like a trial for the NRL season ahead. To England its huge, the ESL even changed around the fixtures to suit the game so it must mean alot to them.

It gives England something to cheer about for a while and good on them... Saints played well and deserved the win, great effort.

But to say they could win in the NRL is really a ridiculous comment

mate the Charity shield has more meaning to Australians than that game.

Shorty

Staff member
eelavation said:
the only way I'll take it seriously if we have 8 teams [the top 4 sides from each comp] compete for the prize, in a knockout style tournamount that lasts 4 weeks.

you'll see the poms true clours shining through there.;-)
Exactly...I'm not taking anything away from the Saints they deserved that win.
But it was a game being played after the start of their season and quite a time before ours.
Bring WCC over to Aus next year around April and then we'll see..
If they can't be a decent contender in Tri-Nations which includes the likes of a Rep team,they will never be taken seriously.

Leek UK

Juniors
eelavation said:
mate the Charity shield has more meaning to Australians than that game.

i dont think so pal,did you see lockyers face in the changing rooms afterwards? He wanted to win this game badly.

Mr Saab

Referee
Leek UK said:
i dont think so pal,did you see lockyers face in the changing rooms afterwards? He wanted to win this game badly.

What would you expect him to do? Dance around the rooms?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Leek UK said:

well, i never suggested that they played to lose the game did I, I want to ask when will you drag your sorry white arses down under to play this game?

JasonE

Bench
The majority of the SL season is played in summer in the uk which would be fairly similiar to playing in an Aussie winter so playing out here wouldn't make a great deal of difference as has been shown by their youth teams who have toured out here in recent seasons with great success.

Shorty

Staff member
Leek UK said:
Did you not follow last year....he had everything,he wanted to win this and top it off.
Bit slow...eh:crazy:

Leek UK

Juniors
eelavation said:
well, i never suggested that they played to lose the game did I, I want to ask when will you drag your sorry white arses down under to play this game?

Like wigan did in 1994 and beat brisbane????????????:D

Latest posts