What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buderus To Quit Knights

Frederick

Staff member
Rhinos come hunting for Buderus
space.gif

http://static.yourguide.com.au/images/viewimages/?image=423059&size=2
NEWCASTLE Knights skipper Danny Buderus is poised to sign a two-year deal with Leeds Rhinos that would mean the 2008 NRL season is his last in the blue and red.

Speculation has been rife for months that Buderus would opt out of the final season of his Knights contract to join an English Super League outfit in 2009, and Leeds and Wigan were leading the chase for the champion hooker's signature.

Buderus was unable to be contacted yesterday but his manager, Darryl Mather, confirmed last night that the 30-year-old had recently fielded an offer from a northern-hemisphere club.

Mather said he "couldn't confirm or deny" if a deal had been struck.

But Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington flew into Sydney yesterday, apparently intent on recruiting players, and there seems little doubt that Buderus is at the top of his hit list.

Mather and Buderus have both previously been tight-lipped about a possible move to England, but Mather confirmed last night that the NSW Origin captain had received a concrete offer "literally in the last week".

"Things have moved along to the stage where Danny needs to make a decision about whether he sees himself playing out his career with the Knights, or whether he sees himself perhaps duplicating what guys like Matt Gidley have done and having a stint in England," Mather said.

"Danny's aware that there is something crystallising, and he really needs to firm that up in his own mind, what he'd like to do, going forward."

"The last few days have been about getting Kurt Gidley wrapped up, and I now need to speak to Danny and see what he's thinking.

"Danny is probably at the point where he needs to weigh up a Plan B."

Mather said the 24-Test veteran would be seeking a two-year tenure if he decided to continue his career abroad.

"If he goes, there would have to be something that overhangs the current deal he has with Newcastle, which goes to the end of 2009 if he decides to stay," Mather said.

"We'd expect the position would have to be better for him than it is at the moment, for him to look at it."

NSW and Australian selector Bob McCarthy has reassured Buderus that his future plans would have no bearing on his representative prospects this season.

McCarthy said yesterday that NSW selectors would have no hesitation in picking Buderus, who is eager to play Origin again this season and challenge incumbent Test hooker Cameron Smith for a World Cup berth.

"He's still available, and while ever he's playing in Australia, he'll be considered," McCarthy said.

"There's no way the selectors would be letting a player of his ability go wasted.

"He's still in the forefront of our minds."

McCarthy said there would be no urgency to blood Tigers dynamo Robbie Farah if Buderus announced this would be his last NRL season.

"Farah's coming along, but the way Danny plays, he picks himself," McCarthy said.

"Farah, a bit down the track when Danny's a bit long in the tooth, might get his chance then."

Leeds, who won last season's Super League title and beat Melbourne last month to claim world champion status, appear likely to have plenty of spending power with which to recruit players.

Star forward Gareth Ellis will join Wests Tigers at the end of the season and it is understood that Kiwi international Ali Lauitiiti is also coming off contract.

The Rhinos have also been linked to Melbourne enforcer Michael Crocker.

If Buderus does depart, it would free up more than $400,000 for the Knights to spend on new talent.

It is likely their main target would be a top-class outside back, rather than replacing Buderus with another high-profile hooker.
LINK

Johns Magic

Referee
"It is likely their main target would be a top-class outside back, rather than replacing Buderus with another high-profile hooker."

Very interesting

Yosh

Coach
Johns Magic said:
"It is likely their main target would be a top-class outside back, rather than replacing Buderus with another high-profile hooker."

Very interesting

Inglis interesting?:)

Karmawave

Bench
Anyone who thinks we will get Greg Inglis to Newcastle are delusional.

We'd need 600K a year to convince him to live in NSW.

Logic says we need to spend the big money on a class centre. We have 1000 backrowers and 1000 wingers, one backrower playing 5/8, a halfback who wants to play 5/8, no hookers behind Bedsy, and bugger all centres.

$100,000 has already been freed up from the Seu Seu sacking.

With the likelihood that this year is also Adam McDougalls last year, the Knights should have over $600,000 to spend in the free agent market at least.

Surely the Knights can attract a big name centre and solid hooker to the team for $300,000 a year each, or split $400,000 - $200,000 dependent on player quality.

I am concerned about the Knights ability to attract big names to our club. We have a coach that very few players want to play under, and a board and management who are reactive and not proactive in every other facet of running a business - so why would attracting free agents be any different? Their ineptness is coddled by the Newcastle Herald - who sponsors the club, and even on here when faced with criticism, comments are deleted like it is some police state. Fans need to accept that its not some rosy blue and red world, and that we should have higher expectations on a professional organisation who we are spending money on with tickets to the game, and merchandise, among other things. As members of the Knights club, we are entitled to expect the Knights to reach the heights of rival teams on and off the park. We already have an advantage of being a one city team. We need to use this advantage!

You never even hear of the Knights being mentioned in any player market hunting. It is a real positive that Kurt Gidley stayed with the Knights. I think that was more about his love of the city and his desire to want to play for the one team his entire career than anything else the Knights can put in a media release about the vision of the Knights future and his love of Brian Smith.

I'd be mighty p*ssed if the Knights cannot use the $600,000 to buy one or two world class players as opposed to the many borderline first graders like we signed in the last offseason with Andrew Johns money.
We cannot afford that to happen again with the Buderus money. We need to be a place that will attract a Greg Inglis - but in reality we aren't.

Karmawave

Bench
macavity said:
come back Tahu :(

Absolutely, while he isn't coming back, that is the type of player we need to attract to the Knights.

Anything less than a Greg Inglis, Matt Cooper type of player should be seen as a failure.

The Knights should be already targeting blokes like Michael Jennings from the Panthers, a Chris Lawrence from the Tigers. Future superstars of the game.

I really hope they are, instead of looking for 2008's Wes Naiqama to sign for 2009.

While we are at it, and even though we already have too many backrowers, the Knights should be putting aside some of that money and clearing out excess backrowers to make a play at Anthony Tupou as well.

He is from Newcastle, loves the area, and would be a logical target. He is a world class backrower with rare ball skills.

Johns Magic

Referee
Karmawave said:
Absolutely, while he isn't coming back, that is the type of player we need to attract to the Knights.

Anything less than a Greg Inglis, Matt Cooper type of player should be seen as a failure.

The Knights should be already targeting blokes like Michael Jennings from the Panthers, a Chris Lawrence from the Tigers. Future superstars of the game.

I really hope they are, instead of looking for 2008's Wes Naiqama to sign for 2009.

So if we think we can get Inglis we are delusional, but if we don't we have failed?

Make your mind up

Karmawave

Bench
Johns Magic said:
So if we think we can get Inglis we are delusional, but if we don't we have failed?

Make your mind up

My comment was a "Greg Inglis type of player " - that standard. Please don't take what I wrote out of context.

We won't get Inglis to Newcastle, but there are other standout options in centre that rank alongside him with upside and potential- Jennings, Lawrence - players like that. It shouldn't mean we aren't at least TRYING to get Inglis to Newcastle. Or Folau for that matter.

Junior Australian Kangaroos.

Players of that standard. Anything less than aiming for a player of that class will be deemed a failure in my eyes.

Things have to change at board / management level for any of this to occur anyway.

Matt Cooper is a world class centre on the downside of his career, but he would be an upgrade on what we already have.

With Brian Smith as head coach, we will be relying heavily on our juniors ( which isn't such a bad thing mind you ) , as I worry that Newcastle is second only to Canberra for unappealing free agent destinations.

bluesbreaker

Bench
Why wouldn't Gringlis come back to NSW? He's from f**king Taree right? He only plays origin for queensland because you only need to visit it for a holiday to be elidgeable.

macavity

Referee
bluesbreaker said:
Why wouldn't Gringlis come back to NSW? He's from f**king Taree right? He only plays origin for queensland because you only need to visit it for a holiday to be elidgeable.

i flew over there once.

had Ross Livermore on the phone the next day asking me to play prop...

Karmawave

Bench
Fair comment? :lol:

If people read the full sentence properly sometimes instead of taking out what they want to see - we wouldn't have as many issues.

Stating that we need to attract a " greg inglis type/standard of player " is very different to thinking Greg Inglis is going to come here himself. :lol:

Why not enter the bloody bidding though anyway I say.

otori

Juniors
Yeah but unlike Smith and Folau, he's not as likely to use it chase Bellamy to Brisbane.

I think we should be going after young centres with at least a year in first grade. Chase Stanley comes to mind, Fetuli Talanoa or maybe Will Chambers. Will Chambers would be an excellent buy if we could get him for under 250k.

Johns Magic

Referee
Karmawave said:
Fair comment? :lol:

If people read the full sentence properly sometimes instead of taking out what they want to see - we wouldn't have as many issues.

Stating that we need to attract a " greg inglis type/standard of player " is very different to thinking Greg Inglis is going to come here himself. :lol:

Why not enter the bloody bidding though anyway I say.

In my opinion Inglis is in a class of his own, but maybe that's just me.

Who else would you consider his standard?

Karmawave

Bench
Chase Stanley, now that would be a lad I'd love in Knights colours.

There aren't a huge number of superstar centres around really. Looking through this weeks team lineups, the outside backs look a bit thin. Apart from the Gasniers and Hodges who arent going anywhere, the young talent that stands out is Chase Stanley, Chris Lawrence, Michael Jennings , Folau...

Im sure not all are coming off contract this year, but they are worth going after with some big $.

We are in an unsual situation. The cost of living in Newcastle is less than Sydney, so you would assume we could get players at decent price levels. On the other hand, it seems Newcastle has to go higher than normal just to attract players to the Knights.

Apart from Ben Kennedy, I can't remember the last time a superstar considered coming here who wasn't already a Knights junior or familiar with the area.

And again, Brian Smith isn't going to help the attraction for players.

Latest posts