What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs = Chokers

typicalfan

Coach
I don't think so, I am of the opinion that finishing higher entitles you to an easier road to the big prize but I also think that you have to keep winning to stay on that road.

I don't like the idea of a side getting to coast to a Grand Final even if they lose their opening finals match

Jono1987

Juniors
Hahahahahahahhhaahahahahahahahah.

Nah Dogs didn't choke man.

Hahahahhahahaahahahhahahahahaaha.

Thank god those arseholes got enlimnated though seriously...

Mary

Juniors
Dragons and Dogs had similar seasons by any measure, both came from nowhere to dominate the comp, then had a disappointing finals series. Suggesting one team choked and not the other is geniused.

IMO neither choked, just victims of the harsh reality that this competition is so very, very close.

jk13

First Grade
the other arguement is that u deserve a loss in the finals and still remain at home because u finished near the top. the funny thing is, the amount of teams in sydney make this situation hard. para were at home all thru the finals thanks to the drawer of sydney teams

typicalfan

Coach
the other arguement is that u deserve a loss in the finals and still remain at home because u finished near the top. the funny thing is, the amount of teams in sydney make this situation hard. para were at home all thru the finals thanks to the drawer of sydney teams

Well what makes it more interesting is how little differences would be in other systems.

If we went with the AFL system for example. The Dragons would probably have been defeated at home by Melbourne on form week 1, the Eels then would have played Manly at Brookie week 1 most likely winning that, played the Dragons in Sydney again week 2 most likely win that and play the Bulldogs week 3 in Sydney and we know what happened there.

I would go out on a limb and say there would be minimal differences if at all otherwise apart from the actual clashes.

Southernsaint

Staff member
The Bulldogs didn't choke, but neither did Saints though...

What this has shown, though, is that the home-and-away rounds are utterly irrelivent - you just need to be the hot side for the last month of the season. The NRL Premiership is like pass the parcel, you just want to be holding the parcel when the music stops, like Wests in 2005.

jk13

First Grade
good, if para by some miracle win, then no one can say that they had the favourable run. you listening gaba?

league

Juniors
clear choke

1st and 3rd were eliminated.

playing at their actual home ground, leading 12-6 at half time, missed a field goal from in front 10 metres out in the 39th minute to give them a two try buffer, if that's not a choke then could someone please give me a definition??

Gaba

First Grade
gainst penrith bulldogs won the game but lost the 2 points and in round 10 the bulldogs fans and team cried they were robbed bulldogs were one game ahead in the last round for the minor premiership and lost to a team coming 10th/11th
bulldogs were favoured to get into the grand final with the dragons
so if the eels were classed as chokers in 2005 with the dragons so are the bulldogs

were leading at halftime against the 8 th team

if that was the dragons they would be call chokers, waiting for the explaination why the buldogs are different

karma has come back and bitten the dogs once again

Last edited:
WTF is it now that every time a team loses who is ranked higher than another team in the finals it is officially a "choke"...pretty pathetic really.

So I suppose if Storm lose then there will be the same sh&t posted tonight.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
You simply need to be the best team in the last two months of the comp.

Whoever is the best team in that period will win it.

Southernsaint

Staff member
thats why the afl system is better

it rewards consistency

I dunno, Taxi - my beef isn't with the system for Saints going out with two straight losses. My issue with the Macintyre System is that Saints busted their arses for 26 weeks to get first place on the ladder and off the back of one loss in the playoffs they are forced into an away trip to the team that is 6 places lower than them.

It's a glitch in the system.

Basically, you are playing a whole season for home advantage for one game in week one and after that you get home advantage for a solitary victory?? Odd.

The way we were playing, Brisbane could've beaten us at Jubilee, it's the principle of the thing and the integrity of the comp that's the issue...

grandorient

Bench
Another geniused "choke" thread, but one to be expected.

It didn't concern me who won last night, but commisserations to the Doggies fans, the Dragons know exactly how you feel.

No, it wasn't a choke, and neither were the Dragons, but I guess its good for a gee up.

GO

Gaba

First Grade
WTF is it now that every time a team loses who is ranked higher than another team in the finals it is officially a "choke"...pretty pathetic really.

So I suppose if Storm lose then there will be the same sh&t posted tonight.
:lol::lol:

voltron

Juniors
I dunno, Taxi - my beef isn't with the system for Saints going out with two straight losses. My issue with the Macintyre System is that Saints busted their arses for 26 weeks to get first place on the ladder and off the back of one loss in the playoffs they are forced into an away trip to the team that is 6 places lower than them.

It's a glitch in the system.

Basically, you are playing a whole season for home advantage for one game in week one and after that you get home advantage for a solitary victory?? Odd.

The way we were playing, Brisbane could've beaten us at Jubilee, it's the principle of the thing and the integrity of the comp that's the issue...

the reward is that they get the 'easiest' path into the GF
home final
win - straight into GF qualifier
lose - second chance

why should the finals series reward losers?
the point of the finals series is to be winners

BTW
i dont think the dragons choked, they started playing badly before the finals series
they just hit their bad form at the wrong time of year
the doggies?
for a team that had a week off, they looked like they had no energy what so ever
but it wasnt a choke
the parra's defense has been phenomenal for the last 10 weeks
besides the 37-0 drubbing, they havent leaked more than two tries in a game?
i think thats the stat

Last edited:

Southernsaint

Staff member
the reward is that they get the 'easiest' path into the GF
home final
win - straight into GF qualifier
lose - second chance

why should the finals series reward losers?
the point of the finals series is to be winners

BTW
i dont think the dragons choked, they started playing badly before the finals series
they just hit their bad form at the wrong time of year
the doggies?
for a team that had a week off, they looked like they had no energy what so ever
but it wasnt a choke
the parra's defense has been phenomenal for the last 10 weeks
besides the 37-0 drubbing, they havent leaked more than two tries in a game?
i think thats the stat

Next time reads my whole post before responding. Please.

Latest posts