What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulldogs may try to sign troubled Shark Greg Bird

gong_eagle

First Grade
Bulldogs may try to sign troubled Shark Greg Bird

Exclusive by Dean Ritchie
October 20, 2008 http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24521512-5001023,00.html

THE Bulldogs last night revealed an interest in troubled Cronulla star Greg Bird.
Bird may now have two NRL options when sacked - as is anticipated - by the Sharks.
The NSW and Australian player allegedly glassed his girlfriend, Katie Milligan, and is due to reappear in court on November 20.
Bird has told friends he has an interest in playing for the Sydney Roosters, and the Bulldogs last night refused to rule out making a bid for the Sharks lock.
"My mail is that even if he is found not guilty, the Sharks may not look to keep him," Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg told The Daily Telegraph. "I don't want to talk about whether they will or they won't (sack him) but we won't rule anyone out.
"I think (Sharks CEO) Tony Zappia has done a good job and Cronulla have done the right thing. We'll let the investigation take its course.
"But I have said in the past, players that come here have to tick two boxes - to be a quality player and quality person. I don't know Greg Bird but he'd need both boxes ticked if we were to consider him. There is still a long way to go - we'll see what happens."
Bird is in Los Angeles after spending time in New York. Before leaving, he told teammates he had explored linking with the Roosters.
Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan denied his club would look to negotiate with Bird but The Daily Telegraph has been told that club recruitment officer Peter O'Sullivan has spoken to Bird's manager Gaving Orr.
"No, never been mentioned," Canavan said.
"I think we are well placed in the positions where he plays, lock and five-eighth."
Zappia was angry at the informal approaches and told rival NRL clubs to back off trying to lure Bird from Toyota Stadium.
"It's disappointing," he said. "I would have thought they would have come through the front door. He is a contracted Cronulla player and at this point in time there has been no decision about his future."
English Super League club Hull may also make Bird an offer. Former Cronulla teammate Adam Dykes has been released from Hull and the club now has money to spend.
However, Bird has told Orr he would prefer to remain playing in Australia.

The NRL need to show some consistency here. Tevita Latu was banded for life from the NRL for breaking a woman's nose with his fist. This crime by Bird is as bad, if not worse than Latu's. At the time when Latu was banned I wondered what the NRL would do if it was an Australian player. I'm still waiting to find out. I say ban him for life from the NRL as the precedent has been set.

cb4

First Grade
he should at least get the todd carney treatment n be de registered for a little while

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The NRL need to show some consistency here. Tevita Latu was banded for life from the NRL for breaking a woman's nose with his fist. This crime by Bird is as bad, if not worse than Latu's. At the time when Latu was banned I wondered what the NRL would do if it was an Australian player. I'm still waiting to find out. I say ban him for life from the NRL as the precedent has been set.

If he's found innocent of the charges then what? There's no question he'll be sacked and de-registered if found guilty. None whatsoever.

Frailty

First Grade

Latu was also found guilty and admitted to the offence.

I think the best part is this:
Todd Greenberg said:
But I have said in the past, players that come here have to tick two boxes - to be a quality player and quality person

How long has this been the case? They haven't been applying it too well.

Inferno

Coach

Latu was never banned for life. He was sacked, de-registered and headed over to the ESL but I don't recall a life ban ever being thrown around.

As for Bird, he should play for the Sharks or no one IMO, but it kind of paints the sharks into a corner if he's found innocent, because while they could still fire him, it is unlikely he would be de-registered by the NRL and would be lining up against us next year.

macavity

Referee
come back to Newcastle Birdy, we will give you match payments and you can live with your mum.

Noa

First Grade
If he's found innocent of the charges then what? There's no question he'll be sacked and de-registered if found guilty. None whatsoever.

If, and when imo, he's found innocent he'll be snapped up by another team before you can say boo. Lying to your team and being a tool isnt enough to keep you from earning a living for a year.

Timmah

Staff member
How long has this been the case? They haven't been applying it too well.

Greenberg's been CEO for what, 7 or 8 months? In that time he's turfed one junior f*ck up and is about to terminate Roberts' contract as well. The message is clear - f*ck up and you're gone. None of Noad's softly-softly nonsense...

bulldog

Bench
Greenberg's been CEO for what, 7 or 8 months? In that time he's turfed one junior f*ck up and is about to terminate Roberts' contract as well. The message is clear - f*ck up and you're gone. None of Noad's softly-softly nonsense...

I thought the same until this morning Timmah, importing the d!ckheads dumped by other clubs is a bit hypocritical given that message. But it's the Telecrap so I won't read much into it until I hear we are actually negotiating with him, hopefully we won't.

Latu was never banned for life. He was sacked, de-registered and headed over to the ESL but I don't recall a life ban ever being thrown around.

Yes, I believe you're right. It was just a comment made by Gallop at the time that the NRL would never allow Latu to be re-registered again. I'm sure if a club tried to re-registered him in about 5 years time he may have a chance, if he's still playing.

I'm just looking for consistency from the NRL as they tend to over-react at times and other times they do nothing. All players should be treated equally no matter what the colour of their skin or their nationality.

Vossy

Bench
media beat up..typical garbage from the media, trying to get us to sack him, bird is innocent and he will be playing for us in 2009..

if he is sacked he needs to be de-registered so no other club can profit from another clubs decision..

Terry-Randal

Juniors
i think its a low act for a club like the dogs to buy someone the sharks had the courage to sack for what he did. Low life bulldogs shouldnt be taking advantage of the sharks moral show. If the dogs do it then they are even lower than sonny bill williams.

Frailty

First Grade
It is just media beat up. Apparently he was going to the Roosters yesterday, and today it is the Bulldogs. Tele is probably ringing CEO to ask whether they would take Bird - Greenberg did what any good CEO would do simply say they wouldn't rule it out.

Timmah

Staff member
Good old bunch of ignorant fools posting in this thread I see. Good to see someone like Frailty with a level head though.