What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bundaberg Red Cup 2009

Roland

Juniors
Players that appeared in the JBC in 2008 that alos played in the World Cup were:

Papua New Guinea
Jason Chan (Windsor)
James Nightingale (Windsor)
Kevin Pryor (Wenty)

Fiji
Seva Koroi (Campbelltown)

Tonga
Toshio Laiseni (Chester Hill)

Samoa
Terrence Seu Seu (Southern Sharks)

This is way down on the 2000 World Cup where about 2 dozen Metro Cup players appeared in the 16 team tournament.

Jason Chan had the distinction of scoring tries in both the JBC Grand Final and in the opening WC game against England.

Paul Gallen, a Wenty junior, played aginst his sister's boyfrien, Kevin Prior, when Australia played PNG. Gallen said in the sunday papers that he thought Prior played well and some NRL clubs should look at him. He will need to convince the Wenty coaches before he worries about the NRL. In the 4 seasons since he came to Wenty from the Qld Cup, Prior has picked up 4 premierships with the A Grade but rarely plays in the JBC side.

In addition to Gallen, Wenty had 2 juniors, Nathan Cayless and Dene Halatau, in the winning NZ team.

In the exhibition match between the NZ Maori, who played in the previous World, and the Indigenous side, the following played for the Maori:

Ben Ellis (Shellharbour)
Hep Cahill (Chester Hill)
Chance Bunce (Southern Sharks)

Karl Johnson was also in the side. He started the season with the Southern Sharks but returned to Qld where he was selected in the Qld Residents.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA Reds have announced they will be playing 3 games at MES and 6 games at suburban grounds this season. MES messed them about last year with not allowing them to play WARL games as curtain raisers. Personally I think it is a mistake and will cost them memberships and sponsors I reckon.

***MH***

Bench
Where's the Liverpool team coming from Roland? Liverpool Catholic Club, All Saints, or someone else? Not really any quality grounds available I would have thought.
Hammondville Oval could be an option for a Liverpool based team. I guess a Liverpool-Moorebank joint team may entice the current tennants the use of the former Metro Cup ground.

LimeTime

Juniors
Hammondville Oval could be an option for a Liverpool based team. I guess a Liverpool-Moorebank joint team may entice the current tennants the use of the former Metro Cup ground.
you think the Rams would be up for a joint venture?

***MH***

Bench
you think the Rams would be up for a joint venture?
Not really. I don't think the Rams would consider a joint venture, but perhaps would endorce becoming a feeder club and host matches at Hammondville.

The Rams are the sort of club that wont throw money at such a risk but would be happy to receive all the benefits with little or no effort attempted.

LimeTime

Juniors
Not really. I don't think the Rams would consider a joint venture, but perhaps would endorce becoming a feeder club and host matches at Hammondville.

The Rams are the sort of club that wont throw money at such a risk but would be happy to receive all the benefits with little or no effort attempted.
yes ,Iknow exactly what you mean

Roland

Juniors
The Reds will play the Bulls in a trial in Perth on 14 Feb. The game will precede the Dragons vs Roosters NRL trial.

100yearsRL

Juniors
The Reds will play the Bulls in a trial in Perth on 14 Feb. The game will precede the Dragons vs Roosters NRL trial.
I think the Bulls will destroy the comp this year. They will be smarting from their two runners ups in the last two years. They won't cop 3. Could be scary for the other sides.

Hey guys, I heard today that former Parra and Norths lower grader Daniel Russell who played with Mounties JBC in 2007 has returned from England and after fielding several offers from other clubs has signed with Mounties again for this season.

Does anyone know if they still have Dalton and Mostyn?

Roland

Juniors
New Immigration laws will force a lot of players below Super League to return to Australia.

Mounties will have to shed some players to fit Russell and Sua into the team. Is Sua a Mounties junior?

CABRA ROCKS

Juniors
New Immigration laws will force a lot of players below Super League to return to Australia.

Mounties will have to shed some players to fit Russell and Sua into the team. Is Sua a Mounties junior?
..I Know for a Fact Eddie Sua Played at Cabra Before Ricky Stuart Took Interest in him..Think he played a hand full of First Grade Games Then ended the Season With the Cronulla Cobras...

girvie

Staff member
..I Know for a Fact Eddie Sua Played at Cabra Before Ricky Stuart Took Interest in him..Think he played a hand full of First Grade Games Then ended the Season With the Cronulla Cobras...

Cronulla signed Eddie Sua from North Sydney.

Eddie played with Cabramatta the season(s) before joining the Bears.

Roland

Juniors
There have been quite a few ex North Sydney guys in the Mounties team - Sua, Russell, Galea, Ainnu, Saab. While Herekotukuku went the other way. Russell is the same as Sua - played for Cabra before he went to Norths.

Roland

Juniors
Windsor JBC forward Jason Chan has been rewarded for his great form for Papua New Guinea in the World Cup by securing a top 25 contract with the new Super League Club, Celtic Crusaders.

Roland

Juniors
Campbelltown centre Seva Koroi has signed with British National League 1 club Barrow. Koroi came to notice when playing for Fiji in the World Cup.

Koroi was also part of an Australian Fijians side that recently toured Britain and had a 26-26 draw with Barrow in its final game.

Koroi and Cronulla's James Storer were the only players from the World Cup squad on tour but it included Wes Naiqama and Suli Koroibulecka from the Sydney Bulls and former JBC players in Hamilton Hughes and Netani Suka (Newtown), Puna Rasaubale (Bulls) and Esala Vute (Wenty).

Roland

Juniors
A post on the State Cup thread indicates that Cronulla have signed Joe Falemaka (Shellharbour Marlins) and Atelea Vea (Southern Sharks).

Latest posts