What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burraston pours cold water on talk of inflated crowd figure

Serc

First Grade
Burraston pours cold water on talk of inflated crowd figure
BY BRETT KEEBLE
04 Aug, 2010 04:00 AM

KNIGHTS chief executive Steve Burraston has defended the club against suggestions they announced an inflated crowd figure for the 32-14 victory over Manly at EnergyAustralia Stadium on Monday night.Some patrons who have attended home games since the club's 1988 foundation season were in contact with the Newcastle Herald yesterday to question the authenticity of the official attendance of 14,267.
That took the total number of fans for nine home games this season to 120,368 at an average of 13,374 - almost 900 less than their all-time lowest average of 14,257 set in 1997.
The Knights will have to average at least 15,878 fans at their three remaining home games against the Bulldogs on Sunday, the Broncos (August 20) and Dragons (August 28) to avoid posting a sub-14,000 average home crowd for the first time in their history.
"It definitely was a 14,000 crowd. I've got the money in the pocket, and that's the main thing," Burraston said yesterday.
"If people are questioning whether it was 14,000 or not, that's exactly what it was . . . It was definitely 14,000, and ticket sales tracked that way all week.
". . . I'm not sure why people are questioning it because it certainly was a 14,000 crowd, and I thought a great crowd for a Monday night in wet conditions."
According to Knights sources, the Turton Rd carpark was full for the first time all season and hundreds of cars were turned away in the hour before the 7pm kick-off.
Burraston was pleased with the walk-up crowd on the night, given the chilly conditions and eventual rain, and said there were more than the usual number of patrons in the top deck of the Andrew Johns Stand.
The Knights received $40,000 from the NRL, which included a $10,000 Fox Sports advertising package, and enjoyed the same handout for the Eels game on June 21.
The NRL had introduced that incentive this year to help all host clubs promote Monday-night games and offset losses.
"But the disappointing thing there is that if that was Manly on a fine Sunday afternoon, we'd have probably got 18,000 in," he said.
Four of Newcastle's past five home games have been rain-affected - severely in the case of night matches against the Tigers (14,458), Eels (8474) and Sea Eagles - which Burraston believes is the main reason for below-average attendances this year.
Long-range weather forecasts predict more showers and a maximum of 16 degrees for Sunday, when the Knights host the Bulldogs in a game both teams must win to stay alive in the finals race.
Burraston anticipates a crowd of at least 16,000 if there is a change in the weather.
"The Bulldogs game has been selling well for us and we've had a lot of pre-sales for the last three or four weeks or so," he said.
"Given the form we were in last night, a fine day, the fact the Bulldogs have a good travelling crowd, it could even be more than 16,000."
http://www.theherald.com.au/news/lo...on-talk-of-inflated-crowd-figure/1903063.aspx

Not sure where they got that weather info from...but Sunday is looking pretty good at this (early) stage.

macavity

Referee
Herald are running an agenda - they want to drive the crowds down to make the current admin look pathetic.

macavity

Referee
There are very powerful people in this town who would have you think they are your friends, who want to take your club for themselves.

Those very powerful people have very powerful friends.

Thats about all I can say mate.

roopy

Referee
Burraston has been fantastic, but the other mob would be just as good, because they are in a better position to deliver both private sector and government money to the club.
It's a pity they can't work together though.

macavity

Referee
Nothing to do with B Smith - everything to do with greed.

The only thing holding us back is leftover debt. We will chip away at it as we go, but there are some trying very hard to back us into a corner so we don't get the chance.

Clear the debt and we are a profit generating entity - especially with a full stadium to play with and a new TV deal matching the cap.

Some "generous" fellow "saves" us with a $2mil investment to clear the debt now (before everything is in place), and a 20%+ pa return on an appreciating asset is easily achievable. Huge return, fantastic status (as our "saviour"), and a huge ego boost.

There are a few people in town who know this intimately... put two and two together, people.

Yosh

Coach
There are very powerful people in this town who would have you think they are your friends, who want to take your club for themselves.

Does Newcastle have a Batmanesque dude running around anywhere? Should I ask Jokers Wild instead?

macavity

Referee
Yosh, be quiet - adults are talking.

and to answer your question, yes.

39466_452974086030_718201030_6516865_6771459_n.jpg

Why can't you me them mate? I will if you want deniability!

If they want to be shytemerkins who are trying to steal our club out from under our noses and tell us that they are doing it for our own good, let their names be known. Let them answer to the court of public opinion.

cram

Bench
A question on crowd figures does it go purely on what passes through the gate or they count sold season passes as part of the crowd figure whether they attend or not.

Why I ask is because where I sit there would have been at least 12 regular season ticket holder seats empty.

otori

Juniors
A question on crowd figures does it go purely on what passes through the gate or they count sold season passes as part of the crowd figure whether they attend or not.

Why I ask is because where I sit there would have been at least 12 regular season ticket holder seats empty.

It's on actual people coming through the gates. They could give out 20,000 free tickets and the crowd would still read 20,000.

I would say that it goes on ACTUAL TICKETS SOLD, not necessarily how many come through the gate.

Tickets sold is what there figures are based on possibly.

cram

Bench
I would think it has to be tickets sold. Otherwise I do think Monday nights figures where a bit rubbery.

ClintDogg

Juniors
I was at thgis game, and theres NO WAY that there was 14,000 people there. When the figure was announced (thru the very poor quality speaqkers with garbage bags over them), just about every1 in the crowd said "14, ooo?, they got that wrong", or "no way theres 14,000 people at this game".

Figures were fudged.

Pika

Bench
I was at thgis game, and theres NO WAY that there was 14,000 people there. When the figure was announced (thru the very poor quality speaqkers with garbage bags over them), just about every1 in the crowd said "14, ooo?, they got that wrong", or "no way theres 14,000 people at this game".

Figures were fudged.

Start a pole, that would be the awesome.

Latest posts