What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Burt or Hayne

The Colonel

Immortal
Encona-Thai-Sweet-Chilli-Sauce-Big.gif

lingard

Coach
Personally I would prefer Burt at Fullback and Hayne on the Wing.

Hayne has played his best footy on the wing and Burt at fullback but Hayne has this dumb mentality that Wingers are not as important in a football side.
The importance of quality kick returns, work out of dummy half, slide VS up and in defence, and flying for defensive and attacking bombs to the wings are becoming some of the most critical components in league.
Good wingers are so often the difference between winning and losing a football game.

Absolutely! If he dedicated himself to the wing position, he could be an absolute sensation!! Nothin` wrong with being a winger.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Personally I would prefer Burt at Fullback and Hayne on the Wing.

Hayne has played his best footy on the wing and Burt at fullback but Hayne has this dumb mentality that Wingers are not as important in a football side.
The importance of quality kick returns, work out of dummy half, slide VS up and in defence, and flying for defensive and attacking bombs to the wings are becoming some of the most critical components in league.
Good wingers are so often the difference between winning and losing a football game.

I'd probably only have him on the wing if INU was inside him, they've worked particulary well together in the past and I can't see why they couldn't do it again, In saying that I still think 1 is the best position for him and the side.

WA Eel

Juniors
fair enough, sorry i used you as an example.
i just find it annoying that people are quick to hate hayne and burtt,
i see hayne and burt as two completely different playerss.
i see burt as a player of the past who has been run down by new improved backss such as hayne, inglis and folau. i can only see burt being in our top 17 if he is a utility off the bench or something?
i find it difficullt myself to leave him out of my top 17 because of his great persona.
i truely think its time to move on from players like luke burt in your backline..

I agree they are wonderful players in a completely different class to Burt. However, if that's what you want to measure your players against, you'd better be playing 7's because you'll be lucky to fit 10 players under your salary cap. A Ferarri is a much better car than a Hyundai, but not everyone can affort a Ferarri.

The Colonel

Immortal
Great reply...:lol: :lol: :lol:

No really, what is the source of that comment about the majority thought my view was wrong.. SOURCE Not sauce, big difference.

The majority disagreed with your opinion as opposed to truths..... no need for it to be qualified.

parra pete

Referee
The majority disagreed with your opinion as opposed to truths..... no need for it to be qualified.

as opposed to truths? What does that mean. Does it mean your so called majority are liars?
The majority of posters - or the majority of members?
You only assume you are right in that statement, I think you need to provide a SOURCE to back it up....Otherwise you could be looking at a red card....

The Colonel

Immortal
as opposed to truths? What does that mean. Does it mean your so called majority are liars?
The majority of posters - or the majority of members?
You only assume you are right in that statement, I think you need to provide a SOURCE to back it up....Otherwise you could be looking at a red card....

My suggestion would be to drop it pete.....

Fee

Juniors
I know this going to add a hell of alot more replies to this thread but, my husband thinks that they should give Grothe a go at fullback, I know I know. He can catch a ball , he can tackle (when he is in his position)he has pace and strength and he can break alot of tackles . He thinks half the reason he was not staying on his wing last year is because he wanted to be more involved in the action , he believes that fullback would give him that involvement and therefore that would bring his best out.(IT WASNT MY IDEA I SWEAR.:crazy:

parra pete

Referee
I know this going to add a hell of alot more replies to this thread but, my husband thinks that they should give Grothe a go at fullback, I know I know. He can catch a ball , he can tackle (when he is in his position)he has pace and strength and he can break alot of tackles . He thinks half the reason he was not staying on his wing last year is because he wanted to be more involved in the action , he believes that fullback would give him that involvement and therefore that would bring his best out.(IT WASNT MY IDEA I SWEAR.:crazy:

EGJ, from how I assess him, sometimes can catch a ball if it is kicked to him, but he does not have the ability to turn and chase and regather....

Stagger eel

Staff member

it's not his committment that was the issue it was his positional play, I don't think he's got the "know how" to make a fist of it at this time of his career.

when he's coached properly, he's a bloody good winger and that's where he should play out his days.

strider

Post Whore
eric is too slow at changing direction to be a fullback - they often need to dart across for kicks close to their line .... he's a winger who could maybe(?) make a go of 2nd row

Ron Jeremy

Coach
you tell me..

I can tell you he only played 1 gasme of reserve grade a couple of years ago when cam back from injury in 2006.

1999: 7 tries 23 goals.
2000: 5 tries 29 goals.
2001: 13 tries 20 goals
2002: 9 tries 39 goals
2003: 3 tries 5 goals (spent the majority of the year on the sideline with 2 serious injuries)
2004: 12 tries 43 goals
2005: 11 tries 85 goals
2006: 5 tries 28 goals (another injury raveged year)
2007: 9 tries 59 goals
2008: 12 tries 62 goals

what a disgusting career that is...:sarcasm:

I really dont know what's so good about the stats? Parramatta since 2001 have generally had a very high powered offense, even in 2003. Joel Reddy also scored many trys for us last year, should he be re-signed to a new three deal? yes he's a good player in his own right but deep down i think we all know he isn't the answer.

See those stats are very misleading, first of al take out 2001 and 2005 as anyone could've done the job in the sides we had those two years. Secondly, i have always stated Burt was a very good support player have i not? however the problem is whilst he can support a break he very rarley actually creates onetu Galbraith was also very good at backing up a break, but we all still knew he was crap ( well apart from HJ and Jeez away).

Now, looking at those stats ( and i don't even bother looking at how many goals he kicked because that's irrelevent) i'd like to think how trys opposition sides have scored because of Burt. When Burt was on the wing he was always the oppositions favourite to target because of his poor defense and read, i can still remember Gould harping on in 2002 about Parra's poor left to right defense ( Burt was playing a large amount of that year in that problem scenario ( i still remember Canterbury belting us at Parra stadium and Talau having a field day runing over Burt).

And don't even get me started on Burts ability at catching bombs, argurably the worst inthe league, he probaly has set countless records for letting bombs bounce.

What about Burts inability to run the ball back and immediately put us on the front foot? he invented the crab run, if Burt runs the ball back to the 20 he's immediately taken back more often then not back to the 13/14 metre line, this hs killed Parramatta since he was fullback, and as a consequence we're always forced to kick the ball from the 40 metre line, why should it be left to Tautai and Grothe to make the metres, if Burt runs back as hard ashe can, takes the ball on fly also ( which he rarley does also-positional play) then we start in great field position.

One thing on i will mention on Burt goal kicking, he may kick alot but very very rarley makes the pressure kicks, i can thik of 1 instance that he did and that was in i think 2000?

Burt is too small for anything in the backline, well size isn't the issue but he has very little natural strength to push off player, Wade has tremendous strength and not much taller, see the difference, actually i shouldn't even be comparing the two as it's insulting to Wade.

Whilst he has some good traits to his game we need a more complete player in the position, Burt goes well when the side is doing well but he will never be a game changing player, he's a follower not the leader.

And please stagger, Burt has played more then one game of reserve grade:lol: i'm pretty sure he even did in 2008, oh that's right, he had a mysterious injury :lol: he was dumped from firsts but Hages saved him the embarrasment.

Ron Jeremy

Coach

No.

Eric lacks attention to detail, agility and even his ability to take bombs can be questioned.

And i haven't even mentioned his awful defense.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
it's not his committment that was the issue it was his positional play, I don't think he's got the "know how" to make a fist of it at this time of his career.

when he's coached properly, he's a bloody good winger and that's where he should play out his days.

In attack, but imo he has never improved or gotten worse, he has always been defensively and positionally bad, just it took sides along time to catch onto it.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
eric is too slow at changing direction to be a fullback - they often need to dart across for kicks close to their line .... he's a winger who could maybe(?) make a go of 2nd row

I agree funnily enough, i think the same with Tautai too..

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I'd probably only have him on the wing if INU was inside him, they've worked particulary well together in the past and I can't see why they couldn't do it again, In saying that I still think 1 is the best position for him and the side.

Inu is not a centre, his form in 2008 at centre was worse then Haynes.

Inu on the wing, Hayne at fullback, worked well in 2007.

Last edited:

Latest posts