What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Mcinnes

denis preston

First Grade
I really feel for McInnes. He exhibits all the qualities you want in someone who wears the red v (playing against the enemy his old club and arch rival in Cook) and he is completely let down by the same capable players around him.

Deserves a statue in his honour for that play alone as it is the single best thing I've seen for years at our club.

Yes, through a diabolical year a shining light. Not since Ken Kearney in 1978 has a player played so well in a beaten team. WTF happened to the halfback Ken Kearney ?

Coffs dragon

Bench
The only positive for the year will be that Cam dominates the Dragons end of season awards night & win the lot, creating a short night!
He has been a shining light against some major overpaid duds.
They need to create some type of Raspberry awards for the rest:

Flop of the year : Tied between T.Sims & T.Lafai
Worst Signing : Tied between Pearson / Maranta / K.Sims in a strong field
Worst Defence : Tied between Aitken & Lafai
Worst Attack : No nominations due to zero attack found
Worst Coach in the NRL : Mary (nominated for the 6th year in a row)
Worst decision makers : CEO & Board of the Dragons
Worst playmakers: Tied between Norman & Hunt
The Anthony Mundine walkout award : Gaz Widdop for his vision & awareness to leave

TruSaint

Referee
f**k it. We lost. But this was f**kING. AWESOME.

I've gotta say looking at that again , even allowing for the loss, makes me smile.
I must sound like a broken record, but this kid is just pure heart..

One, to effect the charge down.
Two, he had NO right to get to the ball first , yet he squeezed in between the players and did so.
Three, to control the possession and not spill the ball in that mess.

All, after having tackled his fricken heart out...

Inspirational stuff. Sometimes having a "c" next to your name is based on longevity / or being a "talker", but he has earned the privilege based on leading by his actions.

I agree with a lot of the sentiments above about Cam. Love the fella.

TruSaint

Referee
One of the few shining lights for us this year. Week in, week out he tries his guts out not shirking his workload.
One thing I really like about him is you rarely see him smiling after a loss like some players. He takes a loss really hard.

In fact I was going to add that aspect and forgot.
Excellent point. He 'hurts" after a loss. There are a few that don't as is evident after the full time whistle. Granted, all players are mates nowadays, but those moments immediately after a loss, I personally want to see a player frustrated and disappointed.

getsmarty

Immortal
Cameron McInnes tipped to lead St George Illawarra to future success
Dragons Den
r0_58_5184_2984_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Future leader: Cameron McInnes has been tipped to lead the Dragons in the coming years. Picture: AAP Image/Steve Christo.
After watching Cameron McInnes pull off yet another try-saving tackle on Sunday, retiring Dragons forward Jeremy Latimore is confident the hooker is the man to lead the club back to the NRL finals in the coming years.

McInnes' drive to do everything he can for his team was on show in the loss to the Sharks, the hooker managing to stop a charging Bronson Xerri, who looked certain to score.

The tackle received wide praise from McInnes' Dragons teammates, with Latimore saying his efforts are inspiring to watch.

"He's one of the players who, just at training, he's always 100 per cent," Latimore said. "He cares so much, he works so hard and you can see that coming off in how he plays.

"There was the Rabbitohs game where he does the charge down and sprints 40 metres up the field after playing 70-odd minutes and beats two outside backs to the ball.

"Then on the weekend, I don't think you'd find many players in the NRL who could make that tackle.

"Cam, who's not trained to tackle like that, one-on-one on the line, it was an unbelievable effort. It's a shame we couldn't get the win and look back on that as a massive play in the game."

Read more: Dragons player Jack de Belin's rape trial to go ahead weeks before NRL season launch

While his Dragons teammates, and even Roosters halfback Cooper Cronk, were quick to shower the hooker with praise, McInnes has spent little time celebrating the tackle.

Instead, in his drive to continually improve his game, the 25-year-old has focused on the error he made shortly afterwards.

"I knew it was coming and I was lucky to get underneath the ball," McInnes said. "Unfortunately though, we worked our way back up the field, then I threw an offload on tackle two and they were straight back down there.

"That was the story of our night, coming up with plays for each other, then putting ourselves back under pressure. We need to be much better there."

"That's where I need to get better going forward, my footy smarts, making the right play at the right time. The best hookers do that, they don't put their sides back under pressure, that's what I need to be working towards."

Since his arrival at the club in 2017, McInnes has developed into a future captain.

Contracted until the end of 2021, the Dragons are planning on building their future around McInnes and the effort and commitment he brings to every match.

While McInnes simply shrugs off such efforts as a routine part of his job, Latimore said St George Illawarra will have a very bright future with the hooker leading the club throughout the next decade.

"He's a future captain," Latimore said. "He's all heart, someone everyone in the team looks to follow and he tries his hardest every week.

"Even after the game, you can see how devastated and frustrated he was with the way we played. He's definitely a leader, he's only 25 years of age, he's got another 10 years of doing this.

"With a player like him leading the club, the club's going to be in good stead."

Latimore's comments come as he prepares for his final game in Kogarah before he hangs up the boots at the end of the season.

Coach Paul McGregor named his 21-man squad for the clash against the Roosters on Saturday night, with both Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell listed to start, despite suffering head knocks on Sunday.

Jonus Pearson returns to the wing, with Mikaele Ravalawa moving to the reserves, while Jackson Ford will start in jumper No. 11.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...t-george-illawarra-to-future-success/?cs=3713

possm

Coach
The only positive for the year will be that Cam dominates the Dragons end of season awards night & win the lot, creating a short night!
He has been a shining light against some major overpaid duds.
They need to create some type of Raspberry awards for the rest:

Flop of the year : Tied between T.Sims & T.Lafai
Worst Signing : Tied between Pearson / Maranta / K.Sims in a strong field
Worst Defence : Tied between Aitken & Lafai
Worst Attack : No nominations due to zero attack found
Worst Coach in the NRL : Mary (nominated for the 6th year in a row)
Worst decision makers : CEO & Board of the Dragons
Worst playmakers: Tied between Norman & Hunt
The Anthony Mundine walkout award : Gaz Widdop for his vision & awareness to leave
Sims should never have been selected with an injured groin. He should have been sent to surgery and Leilua and Ford promoted.

BLM01

First Grade
Cameron McInnes tipped to lead St George Illawarra to future success
Dragons Den
r0_58_5184_2984_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Future leader: Cameron McInnes has been tipped to lead the Dragons in the coming years. Picture: AAP Image/Steve Christo.
After watching Cameron McInnes pull off yet another try-saving tackle on Sunday, retiring Dragons forward Jeremy Latimore is confident the hooker is the man to lead the club back to the NRL finals in the coming years.

McInnes' drive to do everything he can for his team was on show in the loss to the Sharks, the hooker managing to stop a charging Bronson Xerri, who looked certain to score.

The tackle received wide praise from McInnes' Dragons teammates, with Latimore saying his efforts are inspiring to watch.

"He's one of the players who, just at training, he's always 100 per cent," Latimore said. "He cares so much, he works so hard and you can see that coming off in how he plays.

"There was the Rabbitohs game where he does the charge down and sprints 40 metres up the field after playing 70-odd minutes and beats two outside backs to the ball.

"Then on the weekend, I don't think you'd find many players in the NRL who could make that tackle.

"Cam, who's not trained to tackle like that, one-on-one on the line, it was an unbelievable effort. It's a shame we couldn't get the win and look back on that as a massive play in the game."

Read more: Dragons player Jack de Belin's rape trial to go ahead weeks before NRL season launch

While his Dragons teammates, and even Roosters halfback Cooper Cronk, were quick to shower the hooker with praise, McInnes has spent little time celebrating the tackle.

Instead, in his drive to continually improve his game, the 25-year-old has focused on the error he made shortly afterwards.

"I knew it was coming and I was lucky to get underneath the ball," McInnes said. "Unfortunately though, we worked our way back up the field, then I threw an offload on tackle two and they were straight back down there.

"That was the story of our night, coming up with plays for each other, then putting ourselves back under pressure. We need to be much better there."

"That's where I need to get better going forward, my footy smarts, making the right play at the right time. The best hookers do that, they don't put their sides back under pressure, that's what I need to be working towards."

Since his arrival at the club in 2017, McInnes has developed into a future captain.

Contracted until the end of 2021, the Dragons are planning on building their future around McInnes and the effort and commitment he brings to every match.

While McInnes simply shrugs off such efforts as a routine part of his job, Latimore said St George Illawarra will have a very bright future with the hooker leading the club throughout the next decade.

"He's a future captain," Latimore said. "He's all heart, someone everyone in the team looks to follow and he tries his hardest every week.

"Even after the game, you can see how devastated and frustrated he was with the way we played. He's definitely a leader, he's only 25 years of age, he's got another 10 years of doing this.

"With a player like him leading the club, the club's going to be in good stead."

Latimore's comments come as he prepares for his final game in Kogarah before he hangs up the boots at the end of the season.

Coach Paul McGregor named his 21-man squad for the clash against the Roosters on Saturday night, with both Ben Hunt and Tyson Frizell listed to start, despite suffering head knocks on Sunday.

Jonus Pearson returns to the wing, with Mikaele Ravalawa moving to the reserves, while Jackson Ford will start in jumper No. 11.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...t-george-illawarra-to-future-success/?cs=3713
He has stepped up another notch this year IMO and is worthy of our stand alone captain from 2020 moving forward

Dragonsamy

Bench
Thank goodness for cam,
A true champion this year.
He has made more than 1000 tackles this year.
If only a few more of the players, the coach and the board showed as much heart,and as much love for our club as cam does.
We would not be in the situation we are in at the moment. Cam you are a bloody legend

hazzbeen

Bench
Sims should never have been selected with an injured groin. He should have been sent to surgery and Leilua and Ford promoted.
Sims has not been right for a long time said it before in other threads.... Now I know why his form had dropped off ....

Last edited:

Walpole

Juniors
McInnes is a leader and should be the captain from next year and beyond. He's still only 25 and I think he'll grow to be one of our finest captains. Ben Hornby only became the captain of the Dragons when Bennett took over because old Wayne knew a leader when he saw one. Hopefully our coach can see it, or better still someone like Toovey comes on board and he and McInnes can turn this mess around.

Dragsters

First Grade
In fact I was going to add that aspect and forgot.
Excellent point. He 'hurts" after a loss. There are a few that don't as is evident after the full time whistle. Granted, all players are mates nowadays, but those moments immediately after a loss, I personally want to see a player frustrated and disappointed.

Cam is the exception to the rule.

The fact is, most fans hate seeing their players joking with opposition players on field after a loss.

It may be a job for the players and they may play for many clubs across their careers, but the fans generally stick solid and therein lies the difference.

I don't believe clubs and coaches do enough to instil this understanding into young players and I reckon they should...

BLM01

First Grade
Cam is the exception to the rule.

The fact is, most fans hate seeing their players joking with opposition players on field after a loss.

It may be a job for the players and they may play for many clubs across their careers, but the fans generally stick solid and therein lies the difference.

I don't believe clubs and coaches do enough to instil this understanding into young players and I reckon they should...
The difference between Cam & Mary is clear right there in that interview today.
The journos expected Cam to toe the line and saying we look forward to be the giant killers stufiing up Top 8 teams etc etc...but no..not happy with that stating the fans and club deserve better and he is not satisfied with that..whereas
Mary iis salivating at the idea and talking up how much we have to play for..never once mentions the fans

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
The difference between Cam & Mary is clear right there in that interview today.
The journos expected Cam to toe the line and saying we look forward to be the giant killers stufiing up Top 8 teams etc etc...but no..not happy with that stating the fans and club deserve better and he is not satisfied with that..whereas
Mary iis salivating at the idea and talking up how much we have to play for..never once mentions the fans
That’s because he doesn’t have any fans

possm

Coach
He has stepped up another notch this year IMO and is worthy of our stand alone captain from 2020 moving forward
There is no doubt McInnes has stepped up as a player this season however, as a captain he falls short. His decision making is not good and aside from leading by example in defence, he has no influence on the team - our defence is terrible. McInnes does not have players trailing him when he makes those breaks up the middle, one would think he should have an arrangements in place for a few of his team mates to follow him.

Yes, you can blame the coach but on the field the captain should lead and show some authority. With regards to his relationship with referees, McInnes is a mouse. Graham was always the captain we need to have and maybe McInnes or T Sims the vice captain.

Latest posts