What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith

What will happen to Cam Smith?

• Charged - found guilty at judiciary and misses 1 or 2 matches

Votes: 131 61.8%
  • Charged - found guilty but downgraded, misses 0 matches

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Charged - found innocent

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Not Charged

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

Special K

Coach
Cam Smith is the goatse man :shock:
:lol:

he is a wrestling pervert that is for sure.

Next week - The tale of rowdy rowdy peeper the billy slater story!

Slater.jpg

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...just-18-minutes/2008/09/24/1222217331196.html

Smith's season over in just 18 minutes

Glenn Jackson | September 25, 2008

THE NRL's war on the grapple tackle claimed its most high-profile victim last night after Melbourne hooker Cam Smith was suspended for two matches - potentially becoming the first captain to be banned from a grand final in three decades.

Melbourne pioneer John Ribot last night led the chorus of discontent over the suspension, saying he was "embarrassed for the game" while claiming supporters would be turned off the NRL as a result of the most significant judiciary hearing in years.

The Storm late last night were believed to be preparing to appeal against the decision but, for now, will head into tomorrow night's clash with Cronulla without their skipper and hooker after the three-man judiciary panel of Darrell Williams, Darren Britt and Royce Ayliffe decided Smith's fate in 18 minutes.

Time, in fact, was the key to the Smith defence - along with the proclamation that Brisbane's Sam Thaiday contributed significantly to the tackle which resulted in Smith being charged with unnecessary contact with the head or neck.

His defence team, headed by Geoff Bellew, produced a video which showed the time lapse between the moment Smith made contact with Thaiday and when the tackle ended was three seconds. Rugby league might be a game of inches but Melbourne's premiership defence may come down to an issue of seconds.

The NRL believed this would be a test case, due to the significance of the suspension, and will now think it has taken huge steps towards eradicating the grapple tackle. If the Storm prevail against the Sharks, Smith would become the first captain to be suspended for a grand final since Cronulla's Greg Pierce in 1978.

Smith said the fact that Thaiday was a "known surrenderer" contributed to the ugly nature of the tackle last Saturday night.

"I tried to take Sam backwards onto his back," Smith said. "I had a hold of his facial area. I realised almost immediately - the contact with his head area was less than one second."

Asked whether he could have reacted any earlier, he said: "I don't think so. From the first contact, it was just over three seconds, and the contact of my hand to his facial area was a second at most. It's hard to react faster than that."

The biggest irony for the Storm is that wrestling was one of the key reasons Melbourne took out the premiership last season - but it may also cost them this year's title.

Smith denied it had been an intentional act. "I was setting myself for a ball-and-all tackle … the basic rule of us is to get his hips under their centre of gravity, get them off balance and drive them backwards," he said. "Never at any stage did I know that Jeremy had a hold of Sam's right arm. The only time I believe there was force on his head was when I stepped around. That's when I grabbed a hold of his chin. Before that I don't believe there was any force on his head."

But NRL prosecutor Peter Kite argued Smith should have pulled out of the tackle earlier and that "there's a real risk of serious injury".

"The head and neck are his whole point of leverage in this tackle," Kite said. "Does he let go? No. He uses that leverage. You see player Thaiday being pulled dramatically over his left shoulder. [The tackle] places enormous pressure on his head and neck."

Smith countered: "If you play that footage in real time, I'm not sure how fast you want me to release him … I feel, at that time, I was not bringing Sam any danger. I wasn't breaking any rules. It happens that fast. I know it's easy to point out in these still shots and slow mos … [but] the tackle was over like that."

Bellew said the slow-motion replay gave "an unrealistic view of the time that a player has to react to a particular circumstance". "The game is not played in slow motion," he said.

Smith hardly altered his own facial movement after the guilty verdict, and afterwards gave another staunch defence of himself.

"I'm very disappointed in the outcome," he said. "I still feel that when I play the game, the game that I love, I play with the utmost integrity."

Ribot described the judiciary as a "kangaroo court". "This smacks of inconsistency," he said. "It makes a mockery of the whole thing. I feel sorry for the game because they got it so wrong. "He's paid the ultimate price because some people are running around like drunken sailors making decisions when they feel like it.

"I feel embarrassed for the game."

Ribot, Smith, Bellamy, Waldron and co are an embarrassment to the game

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...p-the-bottletop/2008/09/24/1222217332594.html

Only the fans can flip the bottletop

Andrew Webster | September 25, 2008

EVER since a defender wrapped his forearm around the neck of a ball-carrier a few years ago and applied subtle pressure to his trachea, the game's obsession with grapple tackles has been only surpassed by an obsession to name them.

The choker. The crusher. The ripper. The pinner. The corkscrew. The chicken wing … After watching endless replays at the NRL judiciary last night of the moment when Cam Smith grabbed Sam Thaiday's third chin and tried to twist his ample head like so, it's clear a new term must be added to the vernacular.

Ladies and gentleman, please welcome … The Bottletop.

Smith was adamant he was attempting a classic "ball-and-all tackle" on his Maroons teammate during Saturday night's epic semi-final. He released as soon as he knew what the hell his right hand was doing. Yet no matter how Smith or his lawyer, Geoff Bellew, tried to spin it, his effort looked suspiciously like the sacred practice of screwing the top off a stubbie, placing one's feet on the coffee table and settling in for a night in front of the footy.

Smith will have plenty of time to do as much for the rest of the finals series after he failed to beat his grade-one contrary conduct charge. The Storm must defend it without him, unless they are granted leave to appeal and somehow overturn the ban.

When the verdict came down, Smith was motionless. When he fronted the cameras outside, all he would offer was: "I play the game, the game that I love, with the utmost integrity."

The Australian, Queensland and Melbourne captain's integrity has never been in dispute. It's just his tackling style that confounds. In the minds of rival coaches and players, he's the chief offender when it comes to the dirty science of the grapple; as much to do with a body type so unexceptional his teammates call him "the Accountant". His is a technique created out of necessity.

When the Broncos had the defending premiers on their knees on Saturday night, and the end of their title defence was imminent, they were frustrated and flustered into reverting to what they know best. Storm boss Brian Waldron reckons such notions are a "northern media conspiracy" - for a change, he had nothing to say after the hearing - and even yesterday big Storm prop Antonio Kaufusi was insisting his side did nothing wrong.

"We don't do wrestling drills," he said. As one NRL coach remarked upon reading the quotes: "And that's an outright lie."

Under heavy questioning from NRL prosecutor Peter Kite, the truth came out and it came from the skipper's lips.

"You're dragging him by his head," said Kite. "Would you agree that is the method you are using?"

"Yes," Smith replied. "But that wasn't my intention."

Time and time again, Kite asked Smith if had hold of Thaiday's head. Smith could do nothing but nod in agreement, providing little resistance. He effectively hung himself.

Does the verdict mean the grapple is forever dead? Unlikely. Dragons coach Nathan Brown was calling for mandatory two-match bans for the practice two years ago. Earlier this season, he was suggesting players lash out.

As Smith met his fate, those who have been around long enough might have cast their mind back to 1969 when Arthur Beetson was suspended for two matches for punching Souths lock Ron Coote in the major semi.

Beetson watched from the stands as Balmain won the preliminary final and then the grand final, against Souths, without him. "I was a bit of a sook afterwards," Beetson said. "But I didn't feel a part of it and it's something I regret … And it still hurts."

t1tan

Juniors
The first defensive set by melbourne in fridays game will be an interesting one to watch.
Will they grapple?
Will they tackle "normally"?
Or will they be on their best behaviour until the ref looks away or they get behind on the scoreboard..

bartman

Immortal
Suck sh*t Smith.
Suck sh*t Bellamy.

Attacking the head of an opponent was never legal, and they can whinge all they want to. I wish they had have clamped down on it for the past few seasons too, but there hasn't been as obvious a case as Smith's contribution to that "tackle". It has to start somewhere.

I hope Cronulla knock them out this week - the Sharks play hard, but without that obvious wrestling sh*t. And it would make it super sweet for the NRL's remaining virgin team to get snuffed in the Grand Final by the Warriors :lol:

Penance

Juniors
I Mean.. if sharks win.

People are saying "he misses one game of world cup"

but.. David Fa'alogo wasn't eligable for selection due to being suspended, why should cameron smith be any different?

David Fa'alogo missed the entire test matches.

ali

Bench
It's a stupid rule. NRL suspensions should be served in the NRL. If the Storm lose this weekend, he should miss round 1 in 2009.

We don't want farcical situations like when John Hopoate served a 3 match NRL ban in 2000 by not playing for Tonga in the World Cup!

Penance

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/nrl/story/0,27074,24396679-5016549,00.html

NRL judiciary clears Melbourne Storm's Cameron Smith to play

By Dean Ritchie | September 24, 2008 12:00am
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

0,,6267408,00.jpg
/ The Daily Telegraph

MELBOURNE Storm captain Cameron Smith has miraculously escaped suspension at an NRL judiciary hearing tonight. The decision has given Melbourne a massive boost in the club's bid for successive premierships.
Smith fronted the judiciary charged with a grapple tackle on Brisbane forward Sam Thaiday last weekend.
The Storm skipper pleaded not guilty.

Smith will now play in Friday night's grand final qualifier against Cronulla at the SFS.

He would also be available for the grand final, should Melbourne progress by beating the Sharks.