What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cameron Smith

What will happen to Cam Smith?

• Charged - found guilty at judiciary and misses 1 or 2 matches

Votes: 131 61.8%
  • Charged - found guilty but downgraded, misses 0 matches

Votes: 29 13.7%
  • Charged - found innocent

Votes: 23 10.8%
  • Not Charged

Votes: 29 13.7%

• Total voters

JoeD

First Grade
His 'it only lasted a second' defense obviously didn't work and with good reason. How many times have players been suspended for a high shot on someone who slipped right before contact? They would have fractions of a second to react yet still get suspended.

miccle

Bench
Ah but Ali, that rule sounds fine until you think of the consequences. That also means SOO and International suspensions only have to be served on those stages.

So someone gets found guilty of gouging in an Origin match and cops a six match suspension. They can't play at that level again for the next two years. Similarly someone has a brain explosion and belts someone in the world cup, does that mean they miss the next 8-12 internationals??

I hope Smith can play in the WC, but if the Storm don't make the GF, he should have to miss the first match.

On a side note, I don't know why so many people are referring to him as the Australian captain. FFS. Lockyer is injured for one test match and all of a sudden Smith is the incumbent? :roll:

This will hurt the Storm , Smith is an 80 min player and defends in the middle.

I hope the Storm win this weekend, so Smith misses the GF.
Will we see him head to ESL for a game to try and do the suspension over there.

no name

Coach
Ah but Ali, that rule sounds fine until you think of the consequences. That also means SOO and International suspensions only have to be served on those stages.

So someone gets found guilty of gouging in an Origin match and cops a six match suspension. They can't play at that level again for the next two years. Similarly someone has a brain explosion and belts someone in the world cup, does that mean they miss the next 8-12 internationals??

I hope Smith can play in the WC, but if the Storm don't make the GF, he should have to miss the first match.

On a side note, I don't know why so many people are referring to him as the Australian captain. FFS. Lockyer is injured for one test match and all of a sudden Smith is the incumbent? :roll:

Until Australia plays another test with another captain he is the incumbent captain.

no name

Coach
This will hurt the Storm , Smith is an 80 min player and defends in the middle.

I hope the Storm win this weekend, so Smith misses the GF.
Will we see him head to ESL for a game to try and do the suspension over there.

What, see him try to get selected for and miss out in the SL gf in order to play in the NRL gf? Not gonna happen. You'd have more chance of seeing the Melbourne Storm try and stage a trial match mid week

Bman26

Juniors
I Mean.. if sharks win.

People are saying "he misses one game of world cup"

but.. David Fa'alogo wasn't eligable for selection due to being suspended, why should cameron smith be any different?

David Fa'alogo missed the entire test matches.

I think you'll find Fa'alogo was suspended for somewhere in the area of like 8 weeks thats why he missed the whole test series...

imasharkie

Coach
Smiths suspension doesn't give Cronulla an advantage.
They have C.Smith, J.Smith & Hoffman out.
We have Bird and Seymour out and Gallen may not play as he has a groin strain.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
Dean Ritchie, the man with all the scoops :crazy:

Not really his fault. He would have been told to prepare a story covering both scenarios - guitly or not guilty. And with the assembled media not knowing exactly what time the hearing would finish and deadlines looming he needed to get something written.

It's the tool that let it out who needs a good talking too.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a stupid rule. NRL suspensions should be served in the NRL. If the Storm lose this weekend, he should miss round 1 in 2009.

We don't want farcical situations like when John Hopoate served a 3 match NRL ban in 2000 by not playing for Tonga in the World Cup!

It's not stupid. The Australian team has time to replace him before they even start training, he hasn't played in the World Cup. As far as the judiciary is concerned he cannot play any football until his two weeks suspension at club have been served.

Serves him right.

Farah will take the Hooker spot, Cameron will struggle to get it back lol

Rocky Rabbit

Juniors
I believe Souths asked the NZRL to pen a letter stating F'alogo would have been selected for the upcoming test matches and the NRL stated he could not serve his suspension due to him not being selected. If thats the case Smith should not be eligible to play till Round 2 of the 09 season

I know its unfortunate but we cant one rule for one and for another just because it doesnt suit our needs.

Shorty

Staff member
"You're dragging him by his head"
Spot on.
You have NO defence for that,learn your lesson Cam,and the others.

Mr Saab

Referee
I am sure i heard on foxtel channel 513 that the storm were going to clear him for surgery and he will miss the world cup???

yobbo84

Coach
It's a ridiculous rule. As others have said, because Fa'alogo had a 7 game suspension, and the tour was only 5 games, he couldn't be selected in the squad and therefore he couldn't count the tests towards his suspension.

Cameron Smith would have one game remaining if the Storm lose, therefore he can be selected, sit out the first game, and then play the rest of the tour.

It's all a joke. By their own rules, if a player got suspensed for 30 weeks in Round 26 of the competition, he wouldn't be able to count any of the next season's matches as he is ineligible to be selected all year?!

Latest posts