What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campese

watatank

Coach
That's the thing with Mullen, he is very good at directing sides around, as well as creating opportunities. Having another "director" there in Wallace takes the pressure off, but it is optional. Either way he needed to be there, at the expense of Campese or Wallace. Soward, well as I said, he was an optional addition, at least we would have had some variation in our kicking game, and wouldn't be finding Slater on the full every kick. The protection really is irrelevant to the discussion, you pick your halves and build the side around it... Cooper, Monaghan, Scott, Morris... There is a pretty good selection available of centers who could "protect" the playmakers. Bellamy's gameplan didn't allow for it at all, both halves made 25 tackles, it'll take it's toll.

I've held the opinion for quite some time, that Bellamy is just another Ricky Stuart incarnate, had a quality squad at his disposal, but when it's not handed on a silver platter, they aren't all that smart at developing intelligent gameplans.

I don't believe Mullen is that great at leading sides around, he gets a lot of support from his teammates. I know one of those players is the side's captain he struggled as well. I have not seen one great halfbacks game from him (irrespective of whether he wears the 7 or not) but I have been plenty of great five eighths games. Like I said, I am happy for him to come into the team at five eighth. Which ever way you look at it we're not picking him to lead the team around anyway, we're picking him as a playmaker.

The protection part is relevant to the discussion because it ties in with picking players that are in form.

Bellamy's a top coach. He built that team from the ground up, and turned talented individuals into superstars. Saying he was handed quality players has just about as much merit as saying the Broncos were only good because they have the whole of Queensland to pick from. As for Bellamy's plans in Origin, I think he had it right last year he just picked the wrong players to execute it.

Last edited:

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
That McMuffin bloke should never play origin again. Campese was sh*t, Creagh and Hayne were the best for NSW.
Campese, Wallace, McManus, were shocking, Farrar too slow for origing, wing showed how its done,
McManus looked very very slow as well, Morris would have mowed inglis down, but im selfish, leave Morris were he is.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Id rather campese there... coz soward is needed at the dragons. Soward in the origin doesnt help our cause any.

Call me selfish i dont care

agreed... as much as i want to see our boys rewarded with rep jerseys, i want us to win as a club...

soward in nsw = weaker dragons side + greater chance that queensland will get beaten, which is a lose lose scenario.

stick with campese. it makes our club job easier, and makes it all the more likely for qld to go 4 in a row.

Doug2234

First Grade
Im not so sure that Wallace can direct teams around the field. Club level Locky does the directing and he just plays off that. He can direct certain plays but his input in directing the team as a whole isnt much i imagine.

At times it looked like Wallace and Campese both wanted to direct the team at the same time and alowed for common courtesy and let the other go even thought he may have had the better option.

IF we keep both then Campese is to direct and Wallace is to play ad-hoc.

I dont know if Farrah was that fantastic either but thats another story. Dummy half never exploded until Wing came on.

Hayne and Jennings held there own.

MattYg1

Bench
PERSONAL preference for Game 2 line up

1.Gidley (c) - Will bounce back after bad second 40
2.Hayne - GREAT
3.Jennings - Needed more ball and a bit of space, Defence wasnt an issue
4.Cooper - Lyon is a Sh!tkicker... bring in Coops to handle Inglis, simple as that
5.Monaghan - McManus is not quite up to this level
6.Mullen - To lean and soft for Origin - MULLEN IS A MUST...
7.Wallace - give him another chance with someone like Mullen in the 6 it would make it easier for Wallace. Wallace needs space and time where as Mullen can think on his feet a lot better then Wallace can, its a much better balance i feel.
8.Poore - When he and Weyman were on they tightened the middle up significantly and not suprisingly either, plus better go fowared
9.Farah - Showed true danger after his 10 minute spell.
10.Weyman - See Poore
11.O'Donnel - Awesome
12.Creagh - Best in Blue
13.Gallen - A mug yes, a worker and deadset Origin player YES!!!

14.Wing - Needed more time but was awesome
15.Bailey- Workhorse and dependable but has always been better coming off the bench for NSW
16.Kite- Could say the same for him
17.Stewart - to be honest im getting a bit lazy and its busy at work so the bench isnt really on my mind at the moment

stg666

Juniors
if soward was to be picked at 5/8 i would have beau scott or coops right beside him for protection and defensive assistance.

stg666

Juniors
campese... no good. lyons.... no good. wallace, defended well but kicks were crap. bellamy doesnt seem to put to much pressure on storm players like smashing them consistantly......as for those 2 downright dumb mistakes by gidley.......

SET2JT

Juniors
PERSONAL preference for Game 2 line up

1.Gidley (c) - Will bounce back after bad second 40
2.Hayne - GREAT
3.Jennings - Needed more ball and a bit of space, Defence wasnt an issue
4.Cooper - Lyon is a Sh!tkicker... bring in Coops to handle Inglis, simple as that
5.Monaghan - McManus is not quite up to this level
6.Mullen - To lean and soft for Origin - MULLEN IS A MUST...
7.Wallace - give him another chance with someone like Mullen in the 6 it would make it easier for Wallace. Wallace needs space and time where as Mullen can think on his feet a lot better then Wallace can, its a much better balance i feel.
8.Poore - When he and Weyman were on they tightened the middle up significantly and not suprisingly either, plus better go fowared
9.Farah - Showed true danger after his 10 minute spell.
10.Weyman - See Poore
11.O'Donnel - Awesome
12.Creagh - Best in Blue
13.Gallen - A mug yes, a worker and deadset Origin player YES!!!

14.Wing - Needed more time but was awesome
15.Bailey- Workhorse and dependable but has always been better coming off the bench for NSW
16.Kite- Could say the same for him
17.Stewart - to be honest im getting a bit lazy and its busy at work so the bench isnt really on my mind at the moment
i like ur team but ill put b morris for monaghan and soward at 5/8. NSW had no kicking game last night and soward could change that

Doug2234

First Grade
With Jennings he got corked perfectly by Smith in the game. What better way to slow down the NSW speed man then to make it painful to sprint!

Goldthorpe

Bench
01. GIDLEY, Kurt [c]
02. HAYNE, Jarryd
03. JENNINGS, Michael
04. COOPER, Matt [Will be very important in shutting down Greg Inglis on our RHS]
05. WILLIAMS, David [Not much to choose form here but I think he is an Origin Winger]
06. CAMPESE, Terry
07. MULLEN, Jarrod [Been in great form, more of an organizer and X factor than Peter Wallace]
08. WEYMAN, Michael
09. FARAH, Robbie
10. POORE, Justin
11. O'DONNELL, Luke
12. CREAGH, Ben
13. GALLEN, Paul

14. WING, Craig
15. KITE, Brent
16. BAILEY, Luke
LAFFRANCHI, Anthony

In: Matt Cooper, David Williams and Jarrod Mullen
Out: Jamie Lyon, James McManus and Peter Wallace

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
Who is McManus anyway? I had to ask my Dad...Monaghan should have been there instead...

Which one?

01. GIDLEY, Kurt [c]
02. HAYNE, Jarryd
03. JENNINGS, Michael
04. COOPER, Matt [Will be very important in shutting down Greg Inglis on our RHS]
05. WILLIAMS, David [Not much to choose form here but I think he is an Origin Winger]
06. CAMPESE, Terry
07. MULLEN, Jarrod [Been in great form, more of an organizer and X factor than Peter Wallace]
08. WEYMAN, Michael
09. FARAH, Robbie
10. POORE, Justin
11. O'DONNELL, Luke
12. CREAGH, Ben
13. GALLEN, Paul

14. WING, Craig
15. KITE, Brent
16. BAILEY, Luke
LAFFRANCHI, Anthony

In: Matt Cooper, David Williams and Jarrod Mullen
Out: Jamie Lyon, James McManus and Peter Wallace

Campese is still in there :crazy:

big pat

Coach
i was hoping tomorrow we could put all this state of origin crap behind us, and talk about the decent stuff, like kicking some titan arse on monday night.

marty_dragon

Juniors
Unfortunately i can see Soward become the next Matt Orford. Win the Dally M Medal and be one of the best players in the comp and still not play for Australia or NSW.

Sorry forgot to mention Soward will be twice the player Orford is in a couple of years.

SerbDragon

Coach
and to think easts dumped him... now look at them lol. poetic

thanks for your stupidity rorters, i owe you all 1.