What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Campese

tevoro

First Grade
Players that should be gone after tonites horror of a game:
Campese - Did nothing at all, was quiet all night, kicks went straight to Slater for counter attacks.
McManus - Was he playing at all?

Players that should be gone after tonites horror of a game:
Campese - Did nothing at all, was quiet all night, kicks went straight to Slater for counter attacks.
McManus - Was he playing at all?

Who is McManus anyway? I had to ask my Dad...Monaghan should have been there instead...

watatank

Coach
Campese was far from inspiring IMO, although Wallace was worse.

If the side was picked on form it should have been
1. Gidley
2. Morris
3. Lyon
4. Jennings
5. Hayne
6. Soward
7. Mullen

But origin is never picked on form. The halves were woeful, Gidley had a shocker as well. Creagh and Hayne were the standouts by a mile and wing should have got more gametime.

This side was picked on form IMO. While it's arguable that McManus was in the top two wingers on form he was certainly in form and he had a great City/Country game. You could say exactly the same for Wallace. I don't agree Mullen's the form halfback, when he plays there the seven is just a number. I think he was probably the form five eighth though. As for Campese he's touch and go, he started the year well on the back of last year but both his form and worse the Raider's form dropped but then, you could say the same about Soward. The fact of the matter is NSW just got outplayed and outclassed by a formidable QLD lineup.

barry

Bench
How dumb are the NSW selectors...

They dont realise Campses only plays when he plays a dominant role with a sh*t team (raiders)... ofcourse he is going to stand out.

If i was selecting a team to play the sharks... campese would be my captain.

But were talking origin here... select a player that can play well behind a good forward pack, and field position is your key to success (ie dragons / soward)

Soward is better suited in a team like NSW and against QLD, if soward was there NSW wins tonight... every kick landed to a QLD back on the full.

I dont know what bellamy was thinking putting wing on with 25 to go.. and taking farah off... campese should of been hooked at half time with wing moving to 5/8.

If soward or mullen were there instead of campse NSW are up 1-0 tonight.

I don't understand why Bellamy waited so long to put Craig Wing on the field. It was obvious when they were down by 18 points that they could do with some experience on the field.

SerbDragon

Coach
You know whats amazing, morris hasnt been mentioned once all thread. Top try scorer and not a peep about him.

Origin can go to hell.
NSW Selectors can go to hell
Playing games in melbourne can go to hell
I hope Qld win the next 10 series so people start realising what a souless game the origin has become.

Origin used to be about hate. Origin used to be a war..without the killing. Origin is purely NSW and Queensland, has absolutely nothing to do with those hot pants wearing poofs down there in AFL land.

It's like the yanks asking hitler, ye sure we will go to war with you..but can we possibly have it ummm oh i dont know...in barbados? germany is just too cold for us.

My weekly tantrum is bought to you by the stupidity and greed of the NRL.

Long live the Dragons! To hell with everything else

Last edited:

big pat

Coach
You know whats amazing, morris hasnt been mentioned once all thread. Top try scorer and not a peep about him.

Origin can go to hell.
NSW Selectors can go to hell
Playing games in melbourne can go to hell
I hope Qld win the next 10 series so people start realising what a souless game the origin has become.

Origin used to be about hate. Origin used to be a war..without the killing. Origin is purely NSW and Queensland, has absolutely nothing to do with those hot pants wearing poofs down there in AFL land.

It's like the yanks asking hitler, ye sure we will go to war with you..but can we possibly have it ummm oh i dont know...in barbados? germany is just too cold for us.

My weekly tantrum is bought to you by the stupidity and greed of the NRL.

Long live the Dragons! To hell with everything else

well said mate, they can all go and get stuffed, bring on the real game mon 8/6 skilled stadium, go the dragons.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Campese was far from inspiring IMO, although Wallace was worse.

This side was picked on form IMO. While it's arguable that McManus was in the top two wingers on form he was certainly in form and he had a great City/Country game. You could say exactly the same for Wallace. I don't agree Mullen's the form halfback, when he plays there the seven is just a number. I think he was probably the form five eighth though. As for Campese he's touch and go, he started the year well on the back of last year but both his form and worse the Raider's form dropped but then, you could say the same about Soward. The fact of the matter is NSW just got outplayed and outclassed by a formidable QLD lineup.
Lack of a quality kicking game and some class in the halves cost us dearly near their goal line. Campese running into this game had only had 1 or 2 decent games in 2 months. Wallace while he's been solid, isn't a great playmaker, he just steers the ship. Mullen and Soward have been in great form over the last 2 months.

We offered absolutely nothing when we came close to their line, either through the hands or off the boot. Even our long kicking was ordinary. We may have been outclassed, but much of that was due to our pretty ordinary battle for field position even though we had a much better forward pack, none of our kicks hit the turf.

I admire the direction NSW took with this game, but unfortunately they still picked a few on reputation, not on form, and thats what cost us.

Agree with the comment that Wing should have come on for Campese earlier. Although Farah was much better after the 10min rest he had in the 2nd half. I'm sure Bellamy will work out a way to have Wing and Farah on the field together more next game.

Lewis provided some nice runs off the bench. Laffranchi was nothing special. I thought Bailey tried hard, Weyman did well (esp his 2nd stint in the 2nd half), Poore went missing for a little while before half time (apart from that he was very good, esp in defence). Kite was average at best. Creagh and O'Donnell were both excellent.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
the way Inglis fended off wing at the end to setup Boyd reminded me of what he did to Soward in round 1 - yet no one has said anything about Wing's defense. Inglis will do that to the best of them.
i think Jarrod Mullen would have been the better option.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Unfortunately the first picked player probably cost us the game and that was our captain Gidley.
He was heavily strapped and had a couple of really bad moments at crucial times which really left us in a hole too deep to exit
Picked on form post SO1 we should be looking at the following for SO2. They would IMO beat the Toads by 13+
1. Patten (if JMoz finds form I’d switch Hayne to FB and play JMoz at 5)
2. BMoz great to see him face to face with Astro
3. Idris (Lyon wasn’t too bad and tackled his heart out but this guy on Inglis would be pretty to watch and on the end of Sowie kicks would be sensational)
4. Cooper (still the best defensive centre in the game)
5. Hayne
6. Soward
7. Mullen
8. Poore
9. Farrar
10. Bailey
11. Stewart
12. Creagh
13. Gallen
14. O’Donnell
15. Wing
16. Gidley
17. Weyman
Our kicking game was a joke
Our halves looked confused. We lacked ball players in the pack and if we’re going to take them on up the middle we desperately need them so Stewart and Gallen come into their own
If I was Meninga I’d play big Dell in place of Hodges (frankly I’d switch him for Astro who was MIA until the last 13 seconds)

Cagey Mac

Bench
Not true. Made a big break (40-50m) earlier in the game on kick return, exposed McAnus with ease

Pedant! ;-)
I saw that Godzy but it was late and I know he had few opportunities but thought that someone like Dell would have looked for more when the Qld forwards were under the gun

watatank

Coach
Lack of a quality kicking game and some class in the halves cost us dearly near their goal line. Campese running into this game had only had 1 or 2 decent games in 2 months. Wallace while he's been solid, isn't a great playmaker, he just steers the ship. Mullen and Soward have been in great form over the last 2 months.

We offered absolutely nothing when we came close to their line, either through the hands or off the boot. Even our long kicking was ordinary. We may have been outclassed, but much of that was due to our pretty ordinary battle for field position even though we had a much better forward pack, none of our kicks hit the turf.

I admire the direction NSW took with this game, but unfortunately they still picked a few on reputation, not on form, and thats what cost us.

Whatever you may think of Wallace, he was in great form leading into Origin 1 and he was awesome in City/Country, he was the logical choice at halfback. As for Campese, it was between him and Mullen and while Mullen probably should have got the nod Campese wasn't a particularly bad choice either at the time. Both Wallace and Campese were terrible though, Wallace in particular. What killed us was a lack of experience, a lack of cohesion and most importantly a lack of desperation. That applies to the team as a whole, tbh.

Another thing that killed us was that we picked the team to fight fire with fire and all in all we got burned...why can't NSW take the approach that we're taking at the Dragons? Cooper and Scott are beasts, i'd would feel much safer with them two in the centres than Jennings and Lyon who QLD obviously had no respect for and it showed. Anyway the lack of continuity is killing us, we need to stick with the majority of this team, particularly Wallace and Farah; NSW selectors have been chopping and changing far too often, we haven't had a stable halves combination in years. I'm happy for Mullen to come in though

On another note, QLD would have a field day against that backline you named earlier. Do you think Jennings and Lyon are going to protect the halves? Soward and even Mullen will be exposed big time in defence and Inglis will be using him as a speed bump as he did in Round 1.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
Whatever you may think of Wallace, he was in great form leading into Origin 1 and he was awesome in City/Country, he was the logical choice at halfback. As for Campese, it was between him and Mullen and while Mullen probably should have got the nod Campese wasn't a particularly bad choice either at the time. Both Wallace and Campese were terrible though, Wallace in particular. What killed us was a lack of experience, a lack of cohesion and most importantly a lack of desperation. That applies to the team as a whole, tbh.

Another thing that killed us was that we picked the team to fight fire with fire and all in all we got burned...why can't NSW take the approach that we're taking at the Dragons? Cooper and Scott are beasts, i'd would feel much safer with them two in the centres than Jennings and Lyon who QLD obviously had no respect for and it showed. Anyway the lack of continuity is killing us, we need to stick with the majority of this team, particularly Wallace and Farah; NSW selectors have been chopping and changing far too often, we haven't had a stable halves combination in years. I'm happy for Mullen to come in though

On another note, QLD would have a field day against that backline you named earlier. Do you think Jennings and Lyon are going to protect the halves? Soward and even Mullen will be exposed big time in defence and Inglis will be using him as a speed bump as he did in Round 1.
I didn't say Wallace was in poor form. I said whilst he's solid, he isn't a great playmaker. He simply steers the troops around. He needs a lockyer alongside him to create many of his opportunities. It's not an indictment of him as a player, you need those guys, but neither he nor Campese have great kicking games, they struggle to be consistent throughout a game let alone a season. You can't go into origin with a poor kicking strategy or you get found out big time, just ask Anasta and Pearce.

Mullen needed to be there, Soward was optional. Mullen doesn't need protection in the halves, the guy can hold his own in defense. Soward, well I don't think he needs anywhere near as much protection as he used to, if he defends on the left with Creagh there'd be no issue.

You win the meters game, you win origin, it's that simple. We didn't have the kicking arsenal to compete.

watatank

Coach
I didn't say Wallace was in poor form. I said whilst he's solid, he isn't a great playmaker. He simply steers the troops around. He needs a lockyer alongside him to create many of his opportunities. It's not an indictment of him as a player, you need those guys, but neither he nor Campese have great kicking games, they struggle to be consistent throughout a game let alone a season. You can't go into origin with a poor kicking strategy or you get found out big time, just ask Anasta and Pearce.

Mullen needed to be there, Soward was optional. Mullen doesn't need protection in the halves, the guy can hold his own in defense. Soward, well I don't think he needs anywhere near as much protection as he used to, if he defends on the left with Creagh there'd be no issue.

You win the meters game, you win origin, it's that simple. We didn't have the kicking arsenal to compete.

I don't think there's much wrong with Wallace steering the troops around, tbh. You need one of those types of players although Wallace didn't really do that last night. Soward and Mullen may be more dangerous individually but the team will have even less direction which was another huge reason we were so bad in attack.

I still think while Soward doesn't need as much protection as he used to he still needs protection. Moving Beau Scott to centre had a lot to do with his confidence but so did Matt Prior and I think Soward will need a similar setup. Mullen's better in defence but he can still get caught out a couple of times.

Firey_Dragon

Coach
I don't think there's much wrong with Wallace steering the troops around, tbh. You need one of those types of players although Wallace didn't really do that last night. Soward and Mullen may be more dangerous individually but the team will have even less direction which was another huge reason we were so bad in attack.

I still think while Soward doesn't need as much protection as he used to he still needs protection. Moving Beau Scott to centre had a lot to do with his confidence but so did Matt Prior and I think Soward will need a similar setup. Mullen's better in defence but he can still get caught out a couple of times.
That's the thing with Mullen, he is very good at directing sides around, as well as creating opportunities. Having another "director" there in Wallace takes the pressure off, but it is optional. Either way he needed to be there, at the expense of Campese or Wallace. Soward, well as I said, he was an optional addition, at least we would have had some variation in our kicking game, and wouldn't be finding Slater on the full every kick. The protection really is irrelevant to the discussion, you pick your halves and build the side around it... Cooper, Monaghan, Scott, Morris... There is a pretty good selection available of centers who could "protect" the playmakers. Bellamy's gameplan didn't allow for it at all, both halves made 25 tackles, it'll take it's toll.

I've held the opinion for quite some time, that Bellamy is just another Ricky Stuart incarnate, had a quality squad at his disposal, but when it's not handed on a silver platter, they aren't all that smart at developing intelligent gameplans.