What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you imagine the media outrage if this was a rugby league story

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The time the Melbourne media ever bother to report in league is when there's a negative.

They all seem to know about the Greg Birds, Cronulla sex scandals down there.

Got it in one. Ask them about Bird and most know. Ask them about Albert Proud from the Brisbane Lions and they wouldn't know.

The standard question is "what's wrong with RL".

seanoff

Juniors
if 12 nrl players tested positive to recreational drugs of any kind, they would cop a massive suspension. just stop and think about how the media would report the story. if you cant see the difference, you are living in a dream world.

that's a problem with ridiculous senstationalist reporting by hypocritical arse wipes like Rothfield et al. and stupid rules by the NRL.

The AFL told the govt to get stuffed on the rec drugs issue and they treat it as a medical / societal problem not performance enhancing which it isn't.

I was watching an AFL program earlier and the panel were quite happy with the results as the doubled the number of tests and got less positive results. Also 12 out 700+ is way way under the average for the population in that age group.

The NRL need to grow a pair and do what's right, rather than bringing negative press upon themselves and pandering to hypocrites and gossip mongers. if someone was suspended and outed for smoking pot once, that would be ridiculous in the extreme.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25553090-2722,00.html

Players heeding AFL war on drugs

Greg Denham | May 29, 2009
Article from: The Australian

THE AFL has dramatically increased its illicit drug-testing this year despite a fall last year in the number of players who tested positive.

As promised by the league last year, the number of tests conducted this year will rise to 1500, with all players to be tested at least once during the season.

Holiday hair testing has also been introduced as a two-year trial. Results will be kept in house as statistical data.

The AFL's out-of-competition (non-match day) illicit drug policy testing for 2008 was released yesterday and revealed that the number of positive tests decreased by 76 per cent from the first year of testing under the present code in 2005.

In the 12-month period to February this year, a total of 12 failed tests were recorded from 1220, which increased from 1152 tests over the corresponding 12 months.

In 2005 from 472 tests, there were 19 failed tests, which represented 4 per cent of players.

The rate of positive results last year continued its downward trend, falling to 0.98 per cent of all tests carried out, the first time it has dropped below 1 per cent since the policy began in 2005.

Two players recorded a second failed test last year.

No player has recorded a third failed test to illicit drugs in the four years of the policy from more than 3330 tests.

Illicit drugs can be detected for up to three months in hair samples. Players who test positive in hair testing are then target-tested through the illicit drugs policy.

The AFL's general manager of football operations, Adrian Anderson, said yesterday the results provided a clear indication that the education programs and the policy of counselling and treatment was working and changing players' behaviour.

"When you compare it against society, this is an incredibly low number of people within the population the size of our player group to be taking illicit drugs," Anderson said. "With just about any workplace in the country, it would compare favourably. As a fact we know that these are remarkable numbers, but of course we'd rather see it zero."

He said the AFL and AFL Players' Association had developed the policy on the best advice of the country's leading medical and drug prevention experts.

"In 2008 we tested more than ever before," Anderson said.

"We target-tested players more than ever before and we tested more players post-season than in any previous year. And we have again recorded a significant drop in the number of failed tests recorded.

"Again this year, as with last year, we ramped up testing in the post-season period and recorded the majority of failed tests in the period immediately following the end of the season. The experience of the doctors was that alcohol was also again a significant factor in most of the failed tests recorded, reinforcing the importance of the AFL's Responsible Alcohol policy and team leadership groups in setting cultures of responsible drinking."

The AFL is one of only three sports in Australia that has an illicit drug code where players have volunteered for testing. And it is the only sport that publishes its results each year. Cricket Australia and the NRL also have illicit drug policies.

In 2007, 11 players tested positive to illicit drugs, including three who twice tested positive. That was a reduction in the 28 positive tests over the previous two years from 958 tests.

Of the 11 players who tested positive in 2007, the AFL revealed almost all failed tests were related to alcohol, and that three of the six players who have twice tested positive in the previous three years had a mental illness.

Players with first and second positive tests receive suspended sanctions, which will be enforced on a third strike.

A suspended fine of $5000 applies to a first failed test, while second offenders receive a suspended six-match ban.

Any player testing positive for a third time could receive a maximum ban of 18 games as well as a fine and will be named and forced to appear before the AFL Tribunal.

AFLPA president Joel Bowden said the results vindicated the players' support for out-of-competition testing.

"In 2005, AFL players made a bold and voluntary decision to sign up to a strong regime of testing for illicit drugs outside of competition," Bowden said. "The motivation for doing this was our genuine commitment to the health and wellbeing of our fellow players.

"And it's pleasing that the policy's focus on health, education, player welfare and rehabilitation is proving to be effective. The statistics released today provide clear and measurable proof that our policy approach is working."

Professor Jon Currie, the director of Addiction Medicine at St Vincent's Hospital and the chairman of the Victorian Drug and Alcohol Prevention Council, said the AFL policy was an example of a strong public health and welfare campaign in action.

:crazy:

full of druggies and nothing but praise from the media

Perth Red

Post Whore
Best thing the NRL could do is head hunt the AFL's media manager as he clearly knows how to handle the press!

MsStorm

Bench
The AwFuL will even find a way to turn this into a positive, 2 down from last year or something. But if it we're league the whole culture would be questioned and everyone would be saying our players are out of control.

Already turned the story into a positive one on SEN tonight.
"We should be thrilled with the results"!!!!!

MsStorm

Bench
Its a bit of a non story because of the AFL rules and because its a non story.

recreational drugs are on a 3 strikes policy, with 2 strikes having the players results given to the club doctor for counselling. seriously, smoking pot does nothing for your athletic performance

performance enhancing drugs, like league incur an immediate 2 yr ban.

I take no notice of drugs/alcohol stories unless the player does something stupid (see Stewart) or they are performance enhancing. FMD there are 700+ AFL player and close to that number imn the NRL, moslty under 30. let em have some fun.

Smoking dope is out of fashion now...ice, coke, esctacy, etc. will be the more likely ones to show up in results. They really do serious damage to your body and mental welfare...should be a no no for anyone.

Nuke

Staff member
I've only heard about this drugs thing on the radio as I'm not home to watch the news (and when I am, I don't watch it anyway!). One of the things they said was that the numbers caught has come down from previous years, so they're happy with this. As soon as I heard this, I shook my head as I knew that was going to be the gist of their case, and we'd not hear too much of this after this week and the next.

From a Perth perspective, the NRL has a very bad image over here as all that is reported in mainstream and 'prime-time' media is the negative stories. People remember John Hopoate and his tactics. People know of the drugs situation Andrew Johns was in. People remember the various alleged rape / gang sex stories, ect. Reni Maitua's drug story was one of the first items on Ch9 6pm news the day it came out. Admittedly, this was on the back of the other Cronulla dramas, but it was still a leading story in Perth regardless.

There was one of those readers letters in Perth's The Sunday Times newspaper last weekend which the woman wrote something like: 'I had always believed all NRL players to be meatheads. Recent events have only confirmed this.'
I no longer have a copy of the newspaper, so I can't quote her exactly, but it was something like that.
Unfortunately, this is the same kind of person over here that will believe the positive spin the aussie rules people have already begun putting on their drugs situation. This is the kind of person that would make up about 95% of the WA population, and I'd say it'd be moreso in places like Victoria. This would be the same kind of person who celebrates that Cousins druggie as an Australian hero as far too many people seem to do.

I agree with those who believe 1 NRL player testing positive to drugs ("NRL DRUGS CRISIS" headlines for weeks) will FAR outweigh 12+ aussie rules players testing positive in the media and hype stakes. However, I'm not talking just the Sydney/NSW markets, I'm talking across the country (but mostly in Perth as I'm more familiar with and to which is unfortunately very much an aussie rules state).

Brutus

Referee
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/

0,,6647741,00.jpg

Here's your front page of the Herald Sun Today (yes a melbourne paper).

Nothing on the AFL drug story and nothing on the news section of the website. An injury to a Carlton player is seen as more important it seems.

Now if this was a RL story can you imagine the front page of the DT today? We all know what it would be.

As David Penberthy pointed out in an article some weeks ago, the way the Sydney media deals with incidents in Rugby league is a world away from the way it's Melbourne counterparts deal with similar incidents in AFL... they should be taking notes on how to report with restraint and without resorting to hysterical headlines and ridiculous opinon pieces.

Having said that no journalists are yet to delve beyond the spin the AFL has put on this and it currently stands, remarkably, as a good news story.

It would all be funny if it wasn't so potentially destructive to our game...

Evenflow

Bench
The story is on the back page of the HS today, funnily enough in the sports section :sarcasm: It's under the big headline "Dirty Dozen"

Brutus

Referee
The story is on the back page of the HS today, funnily enough in the sports section :sarcasm: It's under the big headline "Dirty Dozen"

So no front page like Renui Maitua? No AFL DRUG CRISIS?

Be sure to send us a link of the back page so we can have a larf.

Also send us a link of the sports pages over next few days to see if there's a massive follow up from hungry Melbourne journos.

My guess is it will die an easy death. Reported then conveniently buried.

Aside from the headline it's a pretty positive, sensible, rational article about how successful the policy is and only quotes AFL and Players' Association people.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25553560-19742,00.html

It rightfully casts no negative light on the code as a whole for the practices of a handful of players.

Compare this to what was said about Reni Maitua when he tests positive...

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,25512085-952,00.html

"another black eye for the code..."

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=816041

"sure to be another black mark against the code"

Etc.

The difference is huge.

Parra

Referee
Do you want the Sydney media to tone it down? Or the Melbourne media to get more sensationalist? Can't have it both ways.

Do you want the Sydney media to tone it down? Or the Melbourne media to get more sensationalist? Can't have it both ways.

What I want is for the Sydney media to report on RL incidents in the same way their Melbourne counterparts do for AFL incidents - with rationality and sanity. That's the point.

You could have made the same points about Reni as the Herald Sun made about the AFL drug tests. Were they? No. Rationality was thrown out the window to make way for hysterical claims about an entire code.

The same for each code would be nice and even, God forbid, fair, don't you think?

Work out which are the worst of the 4 following, in order, then work out which code they belong to. Then cast your mind back to how they were handled by the media.

The 4 codes to choose from are;

1. AFL
2. Soccer
3. Rugby Union
4. Rugby League

1. A man who hasn't played for years but is a TV celebrity is found to have had consensual group sex 7 years ago.

2. 12 players have been found to have tested positive to illicit drugs in the past 18 months, four of whom are repeat offenders.

3. The captain of the national youth team is charged with having sex with an underage girl.

4. Nothing happened, no one cares.

I think all through this debate you and the actual point haven't gotten together at all.

Last edited:

rabbitohs

Juniors
What I want is for the Sydney media to report on RL incidents in the same way their Melbourne counterparts do for AFL incidents - with rationality and sanity. That's the point.

You could have made the same points about Reni as the Herald Sun made about the AFL drug tests. Were they? No. Rationality was thrown out the window to make way for hysterical claims about an entire code.

Unfortunately the media reflects what people want to read. It seems that in NSW sensationalist headlines about the main code sells newspapers. In Victoriania sensationalist headlines create a backlash. Who is to blame? The newspapers or the deathriders who love to read these articles??

It's all about supply and demand.

Latest posts