What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canterbury Bulldogs star Ben Roberts charged

Tiger_Tim

Juniors
Stupid decision at the very least to return to the scene of the incident. Especially because, as far as I'm aware, Roberts is the father of a couple of small children.

Red Bear

Referee
mean_maori_mean said:
Also occuring in Wollongong - we all know that there is most likely a racist element.

Even ask some of the kiwi's who play for or play against the dragons are wary of going out in wollongong.
piss off
occuring in glasshouse probly means its a racist thing tho. glasshouse is an absolute sh*thole, dont bother going there. In the last year or so there's been glasssings, fights and even a rape in the alley next to it. rubbish place

APRIL BELLE

Juniors
The Bulldogs said they want to change the image of the club with it's players behaviour.

This is going to test how serious they are. Aaron Groom will licking his lips right now.

_Johnsy

Referee
This will show if the doggies are serious about turning their image of the club around. I'd suggest not.

Perth Red

Post Whore
He has had a number of tests today including a brain scan

I wonder of they found one? Looking at the report I suspect not. Guess it wouldn't be the off season without a Doggies player indiscretion!

_Johnsy

Referee
Perth Red said:
He has had a number of tests today including a brain scan

I hope the doggies medical staff know that just simply photocopying his head does not qualify as a brain scan.

innsaneink

Referee
Theres some pretty ordinary posts happening here.

Saw a pic of him on the news, he looks like he copped a right royal flogging.

innsaneink said:

Adds credence to the proposition he should have been medically contained on the night. \

No judgement from me as yet though.

Agree on the ordinary posts.

mattyg

Bench
innsaneink said:

nothing i wouldn't come to expect when it comes to a bulldogs player though.

i'll watch the late news now hopefully i can see a picture of him, but you're right, some of the posts here are a disgrace

Tom Ace

Bench
From SMH:

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/te-maari-kod-after-going-to-help-roberts/2008/02/04/1201973775625.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

Te Maari KO'd helping Roberts

Andrew Webster | February 5, 2008

Bulldogs back-rower Lee Te Maari was left unconscious and bleeding in an alleyway after being involved in the same brawl that left teammate Ben Roberts severely concussed and later arrested for allegedly assaulting police.
On the day the club should have been celebrating a new three-year deal for captain Andrew Ryan, the Bulldogs were left to answer questions about Roberts' involvement in an incident outside the Glasshouse Tavern in Wollongong early Sunday morning.
The Herald understands Te Maari was bashed while coming to Roberts' aid.
The pair gave statements to Wollongong police yesterday in which they alleged security staff were involved.
A police spokesperson said no further complaint had been made.
Roberts' manager, David Riolo last night said: "Ben made a full statement to police, and he told them that he was bashed by up to five blokes."
Management from the popular Wollongong nightspot did not return calls yesterday but a staff member, who declined to be named, said: "It was not one of us. We were the ones who tried to help him [Roberts] after he was bashed."
Bulldogs chief executive Malcolm Noad last night refused to comment on Te Maari's involvement, but the Herald has been told the player has been "traumatised" by the incident.
It is understood the young second-rower was chased after trying to help Roberts, who had earlier been ejected from the premises.
The attack - which was not captured by CCTV footage - left Roberts with severe lacerations and bruising to his face.
Police were later forced to use capsicum spray to subdue him when he attempted to re-enter the club to look for Te Maari.
Roberts was later charged with resisting arrest, common assault, refusing to comply with a police direction and offensive behaviour and will appear in court on February 26.
"The whole thing has left him rattled," Riolo said.
While the full extent of Te Maari's injuries are unknown, Roberts will undergo scans today to reveal the extent of his concussion.
The club has not ruled out disciplinary action although it seemed to rally behind him.
Noad said Roberts had apologised to him personally but said the concussion had been the reason for his actions.
"He's at pains to point out that he was beaten quite badly, and he wants the police to investigate that beating," Noad said. "It's too early to think about what we're going to do about it. There's a police investigation and an internal club investigation going on, "I'm not necessarily saying it's not his fault. He did put himself in that position."

Roberts and Te Maari were noticeable absentees at the announcement of Ryan's re-signing.
In a clear show of unity for a club reportedly riven by factionalism heading into this month's annual general meeting, the entire Bulldogs squad and administration staff were on hand.
"We all wanted to be here, the whole club, to show we're all ready to go together as a unit," Ryan said.
Coach Steve Folkes said: "I wanted to thank Andrew for the confidence he's shown in the club. Contrary to what seems to be the perception out there, this club is not in disarray."
The Roberts-Te Maari incident follows last week's arrest of Cowboys captain Johnathan Thurston for being drunk in a public place and South Sydney's David Fa'alogo being fined and sent home for punching a man at a taxi rank in Florida on the team's US trip.
"It's always a concern when our players get involved in these type of incidents," NRL chief executive David Gallop said. "But I'm not sure whether they are more prevalent than usual."
Noad said the club had not considered alcohol bans. "You can't tell people not to drink," he said. "We try to instil the right values in them. The fact is the majority of the players do the right thing most of the time."

Lossy

Juniors
The attack - which was not captured by CCTV footage - left Roberts with severe lacerations and bruising to his face.
Police were later forced to use capsicum spray to subdue him when he attempted to re-enter the club to look for Te Maari.

So, he was he was going back to make sure his mate was OK - justifiable now we know Te Maari's condition - and resisted when stopped from doing so. Given he was likely in no condition to exercise good judgement, not surprising.

To me, that's trying to look after a mate. The intention is to be commended, even if the outcome isn't welcomed by anyone.

* edit to amend typo.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Red Bear said:
piss off
occuring in glasshouse probly means its a racist thing tho. glasshouse is an absolute sh*thole, dont bother going there. In the last year or so there's been glasssings, fights and even a rape in the alley next to it. rubbish place

Apt name.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Hmmm, I'll watch with interest what happens now with all the keyboard heroes here and their take on matters.

I'm guessing it's still all the Bulldogs fault for Te Maari getting bashed, right?

Timmah

Staff member
Friends say they thought Roberts would die after attack
By Nick Walshaw

February 05, 2008 12:00am

THIS is the battered face of Bulldogs star Ben Roberts - only hours after a mate feared he had been punched and kicked to death.

The Daily Telegraph was last night given a detailed insight into the wild Wollongong brawl that left Roberts bloodied and unconscious for up to three minutes.

Long before police subdued him with capsicum spray, it's alleged the New Zealand international was set upon by a group of bouncers from the Glasshouse Nightclub.

Bulldogs forward Lee Te Maari, who was also partying inside the club, has since told Belmore officials how he raced outside to find his mate being kicked unconscious on the ground.

"Lee reckons Ben was totally lifeless," an insider explained. "Honestly thought he was dead.

"So Lee then tried to get in there and do something to help his mate but was also beaten up."

The pair yesterday drove to Wollongong to give their version of events to local police and ask that charges be laid against their attackers.

"I spoke to Ben many times (on Sunday) and understand that he's been very badly beaten," Bulldogs boss Malcolm Noad confirmed yesterday.

"He needed medical attention on the night and will be undergoing a brain scan through the club.

"He is at pains to point out that he was beaten quite badly and he wants police to investigate."

According to eyewitness accounts, security asked Roberts to leave the nightclub after becoming involved in an argument with another patron.

However, upon reaching the door, the Belmore playmaker questioned why he was the only one being ejected.

Security are then alleged to have asked him to discuss the matter across the street - whereupon up to five bouncers punched him to the ground and then repeatedly kicked him.

Police reports will suggest Roberts was only moderately intoxicated.

He was taken by friends to Wollongong Hospital before returning to the venue, where he was later subdued by police and charged with resisting arrest.

The Narellan Jets junior, who had a conviction for drink-driving overturned last year, will appear in Wollongong Local Court later this month.

Noad yesterday dismissed calls for a total booze ban on his players.

"We can't tell players not to drink," the chief executive said.

"We try to instil the right values . . . and we believe the majority of players do the right thing all the time."

Noad also denied his club was too soft on errant Dogs and said he would wait for both police and internal investigations to take their course before deciding on a punishment.

"I'm not necessarily saying that it's not his fault. The fact is that he did put himself in that position and the coaching staff and management have tried to advise our players that nothing good happens after midnight, particularly in a nightclub."

Roberts yesterday confirmed to the Telegraph that he would be pursuing the matter, but would not comment further.

Source: The Daily Telegraph

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,23160700-5001023,00.html

0,,5873480,00.jpg

0,,5873481,00.jpg

0,,5873482,00.jpg

0,,5873572,00.jpg

brendothejet

First Grade
you know for the first time in a while the bulldogs might have got a raw deal.

The question remains why did the blokes want to bash him, but still does not make him in the wrong.

bobmar28

Bench
Lego_Man said:
Theyre Canterbury - everyone calls them that. Just like how people still call the Roosters Easts. Its simply another name for them.
Everyone calls them canterbury? Not around this area (and there are plenty of Bulldogs fans in Liverpool), in fact the only people still calling them canterbury are dinosaurs like Ray Warren and Sterlo, not the fans of the club.
By the way, let's wait for the facts about Roberts incident before passing judgement.

Timmah

Staff member
The judge jury and executioners in this thread have all gone off half cocked at what the media told them first and not waited for the full story. I have no doubt Roberts put himself in the position he did by trying to re-enter and then getting subdued etc but geez... some of the things said in this thread are f**king pathetic.

Brycey

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
:lol:

Yeah, that's all there was to it.
Maybe you've taken over the Dogs as one of the most hated clubs.

Everyone else is just realising what us Roosters fans have known for 100 years.

Latest posts