What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney a Knight in 06

Frederick

Staff member
Knights Sign Carney

Tuesday, 12 July 2005 - Newcastle Knights

The Newcastle Knights have today announced that Wigan’s international winger Brian Carney has agreed to terms with the club for season 2006.

Irishman Carney, who is considered amongst the best outside backs in the game, will link with the club for a season before joining the Gold Coast in 2007.

Speaking today coach Michael Hagan said the signing was a real boost for the club.

“Based on what we’ve all seen Brian do at international level, he will be a real asset for the club next year,” he said.

“I know that he’s excited about coming to Australia and playing on the end of a backline containing Andrew Johns.”

“We are just as excited that he will be joining us.”

“I would hope that, while he is here for only one season, he’ll develop into a potent attacking weapon and a real favourite of our home town supporters.”
Related Articles :
No related articles

Parki

Bench
Its good news, however id be interested to know how much this transit stopover is going to cost us..... if it costs us any of our juniors, ill be absolutely furious

Welcome to the transit lounge. Enjoy your one year stop-over before going to play real footy on the GC.

This better not cost us any of our juniors...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Well, I'd better start learning some Irish ditties. If the majority of fans are going to boo him, I'll need to sing extra loud to be heard

Frederick

Staff member
if they were true knights fans, they wouldn't be booing anyone playing for us, let alone aguably the best winger in the world

yeah dont boo him he's coming to help out so why would he be boo'd. Give the guy some respect and he will be good for our youngsters.

macavity

Referee
he’ll develop into a potent attacking weapon

.... for the Gold Coast Questionmarks.

seriously, if we have paid over about 100k this is yet another poor recruitment decision.

it also shows the depths to which our club has been devalued.

should we install a revolving door at Knights HQ?

Dont expect to be a crowd favorite, Brian. Our favorites are those commited to our cause.

Captain Fred - with a mindset like that, you should be working for the Bush Administration.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I agree, but there's been a lot of fans talking about doing it. Personally, as long as we aren't throwing $300,000 at him, I'll be happy to see a world class winger in the blue and red again.

~bedsy~

First Grade
He will be good at the club and I'm glad his coming here I just wish it was for more than 1 yr.

Johns Magic

Referee
macavity said:
.... for the Gold Coast Questionmarks.

seriously, if we have paid over about 100k this is yet another poor recruitment decision.

it also shows the depths to which our club has been devalued.

should we install a revolving door at Knights HQ?

Dont expect to be a crowd favorite, Brian. Our favorites are those commited to our cause.

Captain Fred - with a mindset like that, you should be working for the Bush Administration.

He was desperate to be released by Wigan to come and play with the Knights. It's not as if he's here purely to get a fell of the NRL. He'll try his guts out.

Alex28

Coach
He will be good for 2006 - as long as they go out and get a big name to replace him in 2007.

channel 9 wanted him out here to,matty & joey think he's great.The nrl wanted to bring another good player from the u.k. as well. so I think we may of had some help here.

northey

First Grade
but if it is at the expence of some other talented players... lowrie, abes... etc then i have my doubts... but if he is good... then we will see, but BUT if he gets injured and is a waste of money i will be so angry

Johns Magic

Referee
northey said:
but if it is at the expence of some other talented players... lowrie, abes... etc then i have my doubts... but if he is good... then we will see, but BUT if he gets injured and is a waste of money i will be so angry

I hope we do keep Abes.

eels1986

Juniors
Interesting signing guys. I bet the GC are happy that he will be used to NRL footy when he joins them. I really rate this guy but he has history of hamstring problems. Hopefully he scores plenty of tries for you guys.

chinorocks

Juniors
Well personally I think he's a great player...but being only an extremely one eyed suppoter could see us challenging for the title next year, I don't see the point of signing him. Hopefully he can help out the young outside backs, but Tahu, Gidley and Mad Dog couldn't, so what hope is he???