What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney a Knight in 06

Alex28

Coach
I hear what you are saying Chino...but lets face it:

* Doogs was more focused on avoiding playing footy for us while making sure he got paid by the club;

* Tahu was more focused on playing in the centres because "thats where the money is" rather than becoming the best finisher in the game; and

* Matt Gidley...well...he struggles with his own game rather than helping anyone else out.

We need a quality back - we have some talented but very raw backs in the squad and he can be a positive influence on them. Also he can score a tonne of tries :)

The problem is that if we dont replace him with some real talent in 2007 it will be a waste...

chinorocks

Juniors
Alex28 said:
I hear what you are saying Chino...but lets face it:

* Doogs was more focused on avoiding playing footy for us while making sure he got paid by the club;

* Tahu was more focused on playing in the centres because "thats where the money is" rather than becoming the best finisher in the game; and

* Matt Gidley...well...he struggles with his own game rather than helping anyone else out.

We need a quality back - we have some talented but very raw backs in the squad and he can be a positive influence on them. Also he can score a tonne of tries :)

The problem is that if we dont replace him with some real talent in 2007 it will be a waste...

Agreed. If we just end up replacing him by bringing Quinn or Salkeld back up from reserve grade in 2007 it will prove to be an absolute joke that we bothered signing him. However if he can somehow help to develop Brad Tighe into the next Tahu, than the signing will be worth its weight in gold.

Ben

Bench
There is a player that goes by the name of Darren Albert that certainly won't mind coming back to the mighty red and blue.

chinorocks

Juniors
Well if we get Carney for a year and then get Albert back I won't be complaining.

However knowing our management will probably have Carney for a year and replace him with Justin Ryder.

Phillips

Referee
great signing for Newcastle.

I dont know why some Knights fans dislike the fact they have signed a "world class" player...

Misanthrope

Staff member
Am I the only one who doesn't really see Lowrie being a future first grader? We've got a swathe of back-rowers, and if losing him comes at the expense of Carney's presence or Smith getting another year or two, I wouldn't be losing any sleep.

Abes, on the other hand, is worth retaining

Cuchullain

Juniors
Captain_Fred said:
if they were true knights fans, they wouldn't be booing anyone playing for us, let alone aguably the best winger in the world

Don't worry, they won't get many chance to boo him. He'll probably only play 1/3 of the season. ;-)
Hope your medical staff are up to it.

Seriously though, good luck to him. When he was fully fit he was awesome but injury after injury has [font=&quot]plagued[/font] him for the last 2 years.

chinorocks said:
Well personally I think he's a great player...but being only an extremely one eyed suppoter could see us challenging for the title next year, I don't see the point of signing him. Hopefully he can help out the young outside backs, but Tahu, Gidley and Mad Dog couldn't, so what hope is he???

Gidley normally provides direction defence and throws some great balls.

hatty

Juniors
The highest paid person at the Knights will be the physio, not only has he got Johns to contend with, he's got biscuit legs Carney aswell...your welcome to Carney the guy is a complete and utter to$$er

keeney

First Grade
A superb 2003 saw Brian score 16 tries in the Warriors side and establish himself in the GB and Ireland team under David Waite. Unfortunately missed much of Super League IX after sustaining a broken ankle in the Powergen Challenge Cup tie back in February against Widnes. Made his return at Salford in July, but a niggling hamstring injury meant a stop start end to the season for the popular Irishman in the cherry and white shirt. Made an impressive return for his country in the Gillette Tri-Nations Tournament scoring three tries in five outings. Has established himself as one of the best wingers in the game.

That's from his Wigan Profile

If he misses one game for us I swear that I shall be at the next game booing his f**king arse off.

Bad enough his using us for a paycheque til his next club, but if he gets injured that just kills it!

hatty

Juniors
His stats from the last two seasons with Wigan are:
PLayed 18 games
Tries 4
Thats out of a possible 60ish games, now you know why we are pretty pleased to get rid of him

~knights~

Juniors
I was reading the herald today

Matty johns says this of his mate Carney that he can cover every postion in the backs and even f/b if stretched.

"What he also brings is off the field because he is a bloke of tremendous character,and he's going to be great to have around the club."

Through his alter egos,Trent,Reg and randy :Matty johns is often the clown of the circus,but he believes Carney is just as capable.

"I'm telling you ,he is sillier than I am,beyond a shadow of a doubt"
So he will fit in really good at newcastle
He will be one of those players that will be really good for the club ,and even though he is only there for 12 months,he will be remembered for a long time"

How could anyone be sillier than matty :lol:

RABK

Referee
I liked Matty's quote....

"He'll quickly become a fan favourite and although he'll only be at the club for 12 months he'll be remembered for ever."

the saint

Juniors
You'll be lucky to get 15 games out of Carney next year he's like a Tampon in for a week and out for 3
But to enlighten you all on (Alby) Darren Albert he's just signed another 3yr contract and is a BIG crowd favorite at St Helens the lads got speed to burn

TownMarra

Juniors
Its a good coup for us, we need a world class winger, we miss tahu!

Carney is a 'Feckin' good player, the lad will do well 'to be sure, to be sure'
There is a lot of British SL players that can hack it in the NRL, in my opinion he is definately got whet it takes!
He's come a bit to late to save our season though!!!!

macavity

Referee
ok..

so he is a guy that misses more games than mad dog...

who has only played league for how many years?

he grew up playing Gaelic Footy, a slightly less stupid brother of AFL, and you guys are expecting him to teach our guys stuff?

He will be learning from us - not the other way around.

Better play every bloody game next year, plus a grandfinal.

cause he is going to win us games, right?

:(