What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney or Hastings

Walpole

Juniors
My sincerest apologies I have to take back everything I said about Carney.
We definitely have to get him to the Dragons asap.
If we put him in the fountain at the front of the club as a water feature doing his famous bubbler we could charge all the tourists $5 per selfie with him and we would quickly get enough money to get rid of the debt.
Can someone slip around to his mums and get the number?
Perhaps he could serve as a reminder of the time the Dragons board pissed the clubs future away.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I know this is a pretty divisive opinion, but I honestly think Carney would be amazing for us. Yes he can be a bit of a goose, but we're talking about Rugby League players here. 90% of them are spoons, they're always getting up to no good when they're pissed, it's just never caught on camera.

Carney is a natural footballer and has an incredible kicking, running and passing game. We haven't had that since Soward left. If you're all looking for a half to play more direct and run to the line there are fewer halves out there that do it better than Carney. Judging by some of his latest Instagram posts he seems to be committed to getting really fit as well.
It's his last chance and I think that's going to count for something. He will want to make an impression, and he's a HELL of a lot better than anyone out there right now, especially the current halves within our club.
Think about this, we're all happy to cheer on Packer when he storms up field for us, why not Todd Carney? If he's fit and ready, he could make us seriously competitive.

PerthDragon

Juniors
I know this is a pretty divisive opinion, but I honestly think Carney would be amazing for us. Yes he can be a bit of a goose, but we're talking about Rugby League players here. 90% of them are spoons, they're always getting up to no good when they're pissed, it's just never caught on camera.

Carney is a natural footballer and has an incredible kicking, running and passing game. We haven't had that since Soward left. If you're all looking for a half to play more direct and run to the line there are fewer halves out there that do it better than Carney. Judging by some of his latest Instagram posts he seems to be committed to getting really fit as well.
It's his last chance and I think that's going to count for something. He will want to make an impression, and he's a HELL of a lot better than anyone out there right now, especially the current halves within our club.
Think about this, we're all happy to cheer on Packer when he storms up field for us, why not Todd Carney? If he's fit and ready, he could make us seriously competitive.

Good points there Tom,
Plus we seem to be the place for reforming these so called outcasts and at least Carney will run some decent lines and has a fairly good footy brain.
Unfortunately our coaching staff are missing the brains with their coaching and game plan that would nullify his creativity most likely.

Bench
Don't like him but I would be happy to see him here on a 12 month contract, we need a half back and he will be cheap

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I just feel like Hutchison isn't quite good enough just yet, he's only 21 and he's already quite big and slow for a halfback.
Carney is an Origin and test half/five-eigth. I believe knowing that it is his last chance in the NRL, he can deliver. If we sign him for a year or two then we can look to someone like Jai Field in the future who I believe to be a better prospect than Drew Hutchison.
I think people are quick to forget Packers crimes. Yes he deserved his second chance and he has obviously rehabilitated himself, but Carney never did anything close to that and you want to condemn him.
He could be great for us, if we stand any chance next year I really believe a lot of that will come from Carney.
We need a kicking game, a passing game, a half that plays direct, he will give us that.

Reactions: Qdf

Old Timer

Coach
I just feel like Hutchison isn't quite good enough just yet, he's only 21 and he's already quite big and slow for a halfback.
Carney is an Origin and test half/five-eigth. I believe knowing that it is his last chance in the NRL, he can deliver. If we sign him for a year or two then we can look to someone like Jai Field in the future who I believe to be a better prospect than Drew Hutchison.
I think people are quick to forget Packers crimes. Yes he deserved his second chance and he has obviously rehabilitated himself, but Carney never did anything close to that and you want to condemn him.
He could be great for us, if we stand any chance next year I really believe a lot of that will come from Carney.
We need a kicking game, a passing game, a half that plays direct, he will give us that.
Very few if any can be away from the NRL for 2 or more years and come back as good as they were before let alone late in their career.
Carney is just like Benji past their best and on the slide before they exited the NRL and Benji never came back and neither will Carney.
Hutch deserves his chance and how could he actually have done any more to earn it?

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Very few if any can be away from the NRL for 2 or more years and come back as good as they were before let alone late in their career.
Carney is just like Benji past their best and on the slide before they exited the NRL and Benji never came back and neither will Carney.
Hutch deserves his chance and how could he actually have done any more to earn it?

How do you know he's on the slide OT? He looks just as hungry as ever to me and barring injuries he was playing very well for Catalans. I think that a full off-season behind his belt and he'd thrive. And for the record Benji had an excellent year in 2015, he was actually tied second in the Dally M standings.
I also refuse to engage in this shit about his age. So many spine players are in that age bracket, even older, and are killing it.
James Maloney is 30, he just played for Australia and is in the form of his career. The NSW halfback.
Cooper Cronk is 32, just won the Dally M Medal.
Johnathan Thurston is 33, don't really need to add much to that.
Robbie Farah is 32, as much as he's a goose he's still a very good player.
Michael Ennis is 32, just played the year of his career and was instrumental in his side making and winning the GF.

Pretty much every game that Hutch has played in First Grade, people have said that he's not up to it. Seriously I was sitting on Facebook groups for the Dragons during live games he was playing and nearly everybody was on his back saying he's not First Grade standard. I watched most Cutters games this year and he definitely didn't set the world alight. His best game was the Grand Final. I just want to avoid a scenario where in case Hutch fails, who do we turn to? It will be another year or testing and trailing halves like the whole Chase Stanley, Nathan Fien debacle.
At least if Carney fails, we can turn to Hutchison.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Hutchison l think has only played a couple of NRL games and has serious doubters. He can kick for line, kick field goals, has a good
pass, identifies gaps, puts others into space, score tries and defends soundly. People say he is slow and inexperienced. I would say that only Billy Smith and Steve Morris would have been be noticeably quicker. I believe that people think he is not fast because he sees his role is to set up other players which he does very well. If you are probing for openings for other players you typically will not run like a jack rabbit. In two recent games where he chose to run himself he scored a try in each game. He is a different type of half-back a bit like Ben Hornby but is very effective because he is constructive and makes few errors.

Old Timer

Coach
TRVR
Have a look how many games he has played in the last 2 years.
The league he is playing in is well short of NRL standard.
His form at Cronulla was pretty ordinary before he left because if it had been good they would have fought harder to keep him..
All the ones you mention above have remained in the NRL and I suspect at their ages if they had 2 years out they wouldn't come back as good as they were either.
Hutch has played bugger all games in the top grade and even when picked it was under sufferance from our gronk of a coach.
The people who say he's not up to it are some of the same people who cheered all the suspect purchases we have made over the last few years so I give little credibility to their views.
You will never know if he can do it unless you give him the chance and people like you want to say to hang your hat on someone who was good years ago.
You sound like Vas about Benji in all honesty he was not a good buy despite the Dally M points you talk about.
Tell me a game where he totally dominated for us anything like he used to 5- 7 years ago.

wouldnt be hard to find her on facey etc.
anyway.
i believe he finds out tomorrow if he can play.
be weird if the league lets him back in when basically we were directed to sack him.
didnt do it right though.
steve noyce. what a potato.

he would be fine if you have a strong coaching staff etc that keeps good discipline.
so in 2012 and 13 with flanno there...he was more or less ok.
he still did dumb shit but he tried on the pitch.
2014 he basically stopped giving a f**k given the termoil and flanagan being banned.
classic naughty kid with the relief teacher routine.
as for his actual injuries. his hammies are a real concern.

At least the water boy wouldn't have to runout to give him a drink.
Thats Premiership winning water boy, thank you very much .

In all seriousness, Carney isn't worth it. Roosters supporters warned us, Raiders supporters warned us, now we're warning you guys.
Plus the bloke cannot defend at all, you will need someone to protect him all of the time.

Last edited: