What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carney signs with sharks

roboshark

Coach
They were literally bidding against themselves. No other club was interested (ignore what his agent said...that's his job). When you're the only team after him, even if the 700k figure is exaggerated (wouldn't surprise me if it's real) why pay any more than 100k a year?

And people talk about him not doing too much wrong lately? True, but he hasn't played well since 2010. And he would be flat out to have a combined 1 season of top level performances across his career.
:lol: yet you were fingering yourself silly when he was touted as going to souffs

SharkShocked

Bench
As has been mentioned by other posters, the deal is 200K for the first year. 500K for the second year provided he makes it that far.

If you want to debate where we could save 100K, I'd much rather save it by getting rid of someone like pomeroy who has been around forever...

100K in the scheme of a 4 million dollar salary cap isn't exactly a sticking point BM.

It's pretty clear that we are taking a 200K roll of the dice... Who thinks he will actually get through year 1 without any off field problems?

I wouldn't bet on him with your money let alone mine to get through the year.

It's a punt, probably one we are in the position to take.

babyg

Juniors
LOL at the Titans who thought they could get him for $50,000.

LOL at Sharks for seeing that $50,000 and raising them $300,000.

For the record I think he will go alright next year.

Haffa

Well done to the Sharks for picking him up. Considering the shortage of quality halves around they've done well to get him. If you've got the cash to slip him under the cap I don't see the issue paying him the amount quoted. If he's a nuffy he'll have his contract torn up and he'll get nothing.

canberra_raiders2k2

First Grade
At his best, his probably worth $500k a season, it really depends on how he approaches the season and what he does to avoid the off field drama. I hope he comes out and plays well, I know he is a deadbeat but the sharks really need a lift and if he can provide that then good.

Slackboy72

Coach
Well done to the Sharks for picking him up. Considering the shortage of quality halves around they've done well to get him. If you've got the cash to slip him under the cap I don't see the issue paying him the amount quoted. If he's a nuffy he'll have his contract torn up and he'll get nothing.

And this is why expanding to an 18 team comp is a silly idea. The fact that Carney can still get a run says to me we don't have enough talent for 16 teams let alone 18.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They were literally bidding against themselves. No other club was interested (ignore what his agent said...that's his job). When you're the only team after him, even if the 700k figure is exaggerated (wouldn't surprise me if it's real) why pay any more than 100k a year?

And people talk about him not doing too much wrong lately? True, but he hasn't played well since 2010. And he would be flat out to have a combined 1 season of top level performances across his career.
Gumby, if he had signed with souths you would have blown a load and told us how you were going to win the next ten premierships.

Todd should go alright at the sharks.

_snafu_

Immortal
Worth the punt I reckon. Good signing by the Sharks, although they still lack quality in the outside backs department.

Stonecutter

First Grade

We weren't the only team after him and that's a fact.

Stonecutter

First Grade
LOL at the Titans who thought they could get him for $50,000.

LOL at Sharks for seeing that $50,000 and raising them $300,000.

For the record I think he will go alright next year.

LOL at you who thinks the minimum wage in the NRL is $50,000.

juanfarkall

Coach

Are you talking about Carney or this bloke ?

249040-john-sutton-south-sydney-nrl.jpg

FWIW I hope Carney stays off the soup and goes OK.

Latest posts