What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast and the Bears - Important Fact

meltiger

First Grade
Speak for yourself, watching 20 years of a States RL development disappear virtually overnight so they could have a team in melbourne left a gaping wound to us in WA that is only just starting to get a scab on it!:x

Agree.

The two biggest mistakes post SL were killing Perth & The Gold Coast who had finally sorted themselves out as the Chargers.

North Sydney just fell to bad luck, as did the rest of us who supported clubs who happened to be sh*thouse on the field at the time/didn't whore our soul to SL

Hass

Juniors
It's quite simple really.

Assume the Bears didn't commit to Gosford in the late 90's - would the Central Coast still be in a position to get a first grade team immediately?

Had the Bears decided to stay on the North Shore would there be a stadium in Gosford today?

Without that stadium there wouldn't have been any NRL matches on the coast over the past decade. There wouldn't be any Central Coast Mariners. If another Sydney team decided to move there full-time they would have to go about building a new stadium. They'd have to put up their own money, lobby the government for funding and put in the hard yards.

How can any team (whether it be an existing club or a new creation) justify riding in on the Bears' coat-tails? Had the Bears slinked away into obscurity you could justify it, but they're alive and knocking on the door. Anyone who begrudges them 1 or 2 games at North Sydney Oval a year isn't being fair dinkum.

I see nothing wrong in playing 2-3 games at North Sydney Oval. The Bears have a heritage with which they are trying to re-instate into the NRL after they were cheated. If anyhthing 1-2 Games at North Sydney is a general must to keep some form of hold in the North Shore.

CanadianEagle

Juniors
You ignorant prat.
The Northen Eagles was Manly - name, colours, people.

You're the ignorant coc*hole! When the Bears and Sea Eagles joined, they were supported by Bears people.. You know the people that held the Florimo, Larsen and Seers banners.. I was standing right next to them at the games! Did you ever go to the games? Doesn't sound like it, dribbler!
I also went to school in Nth Sydney at the time and the majority of my mates supported the Bears.. I was standing shoulder to shoulder with them cheering the Northern Eagles, a vast majority now support the Sea Eagles, some refuse to which is fair enough.

How can you comment on stuff you have no idea about?

Problem with rugby league is dildos like you who talk tough but have no idea about where the strength of the game lies.

Well face it you old tart.. its dildos like you that couldn't support the Bears financially and they faded from 1st grade rugby league, now you're sitting on league forums whinging that neither the NRL or people on the Central Coast want them up there...

I have nothing against Norths but its fuc*head supporters like you that gives rugby league a bad name, fu*k you and fu*k you wanting your team in the Central Coast, the majority prefer they're own team based there, not a team that has supporters like yourself giving their area a bad rap an trying to jump on the bandwagon of their love of rugby league in that area..

And as for you constantly saying Manly WILL and WANTS to move to the CC... don't even get me started you dense fu*kwit!

Jason Maher

Immortal
A lot of people who never followed Norths and generally laughed at their continual on-field failures were incensed by what happened to them, just like a lot of non-Souths supporters were incensed by what happened to them. This includes myself, in both cases. The NRL admitting defeat and letting the Bunnies back in healed many wounds, and allowing the Bears to return on the Central Coast with the odd game at NSO would heal many more. The goodwill that would result in the rugby league community is priceless and would never be generated by a standalone Central Coast side.

I understand where Perth red is coming from in saying NSW does not need any more sides. In fact I agree - except in this case it would be returning a team that should never have been booted in the first place. I also believe the Sharks should be financially supported by the NRL to relocate to Adelaide. Perth are doing very well laying the ground work for their own team and should in time be rewarded for this (not to mention they are another team that was unjustly booted, though part of me says serves them right for jumping into bed with News). Adelaide is not in that position, and thus relocation is the best option if we ever want to get a foot in the South Australian door. Perth + Cnetral Coast Bears + Adelaide Sharks gives us 18 teams. The next step is more teams in Queensland, whether that is by relocating one or two teams from Sydney, or two new teams to bring the number to 20 (the ideal number for mine), long term it must happen.

mightybears

Bench
As somebody who lives on the Central Coast - for the CC Bears to make any ground here they will definately need to cut all ties with North Sydney to make it work.

Dropping the Bears would be a good start. New colours. No red and black. No association to North Sydney all.

Jeez sandy what a remarkable insight, so the bears move to the cc, the cc gets an NRL team but no red and black, are you sure you want the team to be called the bears?

mightybears

Bench
I don't think it's the CC people are asking anyone to bend over backwards.

What I would like to see is a team based from the Central Coast sometime in the future.

North Sydney Bears are steeped in tradition. They should represent North Sydney. We are not NORTH SYDNEY. We are North OF Sydney. Our Region is Sydney North. Not North Sydney.

I am not a fan of taking on someone else's tradition/history. And listening to many talkback radio stations up here on the coast, neither does it seem are the majority up here.

Other than media huff and puff the CC has never floated a new start up bid, we paid a bit and convinced state and fed government to pay for the majority of bluetongue, we have been tapping the cc for decades now [orford, o'meley, fairleigh].

mightybears

Bench
If they do any sort of half-arsed move with the Bears to Gosford, it'll fall on its arse just like the Beagles did. To do otherwise if not giving people of the central coast what they want, a team they can call theirs.

If the Bears want to keep their history, keep it where it is now, in the same place as Balmain, Wests and Newtown.

half arsed?
We argreed to move 100% in 1997!
the only Sydney team to volunteer to leave Sydney
we got the stadium built, even if we only paid the minority [state and fed government and us].

mightybears

Bench
I wasn't so much talking about North Sydney as much as the whole North shore, which many claim will become the domain of the CC BEars if it happens.. Apparently there are 600,000 people in this area. If they were all die hard Bears fans then they must have had some massive crowds!

one of only 2 Sydney teams to average home crowds of more than 10,000 every season from 1991 to 1998.

not parra, not canterbury, not penrith, not balmain, easts or wests, not even st george but the NSDRLFC.

one of only 2 Sydney teams to average home crowds of more than 10,000 every season from 1991 to 1998.

not parra, not canterbury, not penrith, not balmain, easts or wests, not even st george but the NSDRLFC.

North Sydney Oval had an aura like Leichhardt during the early-90s. I remember plenty of big crowds there.

If the re-admitted Bears played a few games at NSO, I'd definitely be inclined to go.

Crippler

Juniors
Remember seeing a giant bear above the C Coast Leagues Club

Am i Right in saying that blue tongue stadium was due to be ready by the start of the 1999 season and that constant rain delayed it till 2000?

Just thinking now had the bears started in 99 they may of avoided insolvancy with consistant bumper crowds and would still exist today.

t-ba

Post Whore
Remember seeing a giant bear above the C Coast Leagues Club

Am i Right in saying that blue tongue stadium was due to be ready by the start of the 1999 season and that constant rain delayed it till 2000?

Just thinking now had the bears started in 99 they may of avoided insolvancy with consistant bumper crowds and would still exist today.

It was a perfect storm of events really. The Stadium, the Criteria, the player revolt early in the season, all conspired at precisely the wrong time in the games history.

half arsed?
We argreed to move 100% in 1997!
the only Sydney team to volunteer to leave Sydney
we got the stadium built, even if we only paid the minority [state and fed government and us].

errr, in the future.

I dunno about you but I reckon changing the past is not all that possible.

How can you comment on stuff you have no idea about?

Doesn't stop you.

Problem with rugby league is dildos like you who talk tough but have no idea about where the strength of the game lies.

So, the strength of the game lies in North Sydney?

:lol:

Gimme a f**king break you dim-witted gimp.

I've been folllowing the game for 40 odd years, I don't miss Norths that much to be honest. I don't miss Newtown, Annandale and Glebe either....

Had your chance, f**ked it up. If you don't get back in, Rugby League will not be weaker for it.

The Bears were cheated out of a licence - the last great open wound of superleague. there's a chance to heal this wound and give the game a massive boost - especially when most clubs are practically insolvent.

Norths got into bed with Manly. Do you know anyone who thought that was a good idea for Norths?

It's only an open wound with a few people like you, and that idiot Mike Gibson. To the vast majority, it's a non-issue. Sure, it'd be nice if Norths got a guernsey on the CC in the NRL but we're not losing any sleep if it doesn't happen.

Think ahead, you moron.

Says the slice of knobcheese who keeps posting history lessons, with his own particular slant...

If Norths get the CC and an NRL licence, good. If they don't, that's fine too.

You had your chance.

*Sandy*

First Grade
mightybears said:
but they'd be called the central coast bears, training, based, admin 100% at gosford, with one or two matches at the nso.

I cannot see it working. First of all I find it hard to believe that the majority of your fans will travel up the freeway and make the Bluetongue Stadium their home. Therefore you are looking to convert from the Central Coast. Many of us are already established fans of other clubs. That leaves the youth of the CC. A large part of the youth follow the Mariners and it has been very successful thus far.

I cannot see the youth of CC taking on an established football club from another area, becoming passionate about their history and respecting their tradition.

Therefore in my opinion no club will survive on the CC unless it comes from the grass roots. CC needs to have pride in it's own history.

MayMoo

Juniors
I cannot see it working. First of all I find it hard to believe that the majority of your fans will travel up the freeway and make the Bluetongue Stadium their home. Therefore you are looking to convert from the Central Coast. Many of us are already established fans of other clubs. That leaves the youth of the CC. A large part of the youth follow the Mariners and it has been very successful thus far.

I cannot see the youth of CC taking on an established football club from another area, becoming passionate about their history and respecting their tradition.

Therefore in my opinion no club will survive on the CC unless it comes from the grass roots. CC needs to have pride in it's own history.

How may fans would need to travel ?
It holds just over 20K - If the majority of Bears fans did travel (and that's the ones on the North Shore) there wouldn't be any room for any CC residents and Bears fans already on the Coast.

Kids wont follow a team called the CC ?
Cause of their links to the Bears - bullsh*t.

If you insist that a team called the Central Coast Bears playing out of Bluetongue as the home team, that just happens to have links to a club with over 100 years history / tradition etc from the adjoining territory couldn't be sucessful - Fine Then..

Just one thing - Put the Bears back at NSO first - After all they built a stadium & went willingly to Gosford over 10 years ago and had local support then.

So if you keep insisting they aren't welcome now, put them back at NSO and join the back of the queue.

It amazes me how people are prepared to fully kill of the Bears and start from scratch on the Coast when it is such a bleedingly obvious good fit.

Last edited:

Latest posts