What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

taipan

Referee
BDGS - C'mon now don't be exaggerating like that... Thanks for pointing out their ridiculous decision to change their name to that though.

Taipan - I actually am concerned all clubs are financially strong. This is the sorta thing that really changes opinion and direction... I'm not concerned with individual clubs. I'm concerned with the league as a whole. If a bid can prove they are going to be more profitable and achieve more support and success than an existing club. Switch them over. I'm very liberal towards the NRL.

RBB - Do you think time spent on the bid gives Bears an advantage over Brisbane2? Is that fair?

Well champ I also care about the game and intnl rl, however the league is made up of the 16 clubs.If all clubs are financially strong ,the NRL is strong.As the SL war showed losing even one club does irreparable damage to the code as a whole.Ask Bears fans for starters.

If a club is unable to compete financially fair enough,relocate.
I am sure if the Cowboys were in financial duress ,and everyone suggested they shut down or move,you would be leading the cheer squad.
Getting rid of a club that becomes financially strong and self sufficient,is lunacy for the club and the game as a whole.
I like the not concerned about individual clubs comment....shhhsh except when it involves my own.;-)

clarency

Juniors
I should clarify. I didn't mention that it applies exclusively to Sydney because of the large quantity of teams. Some teams that are covering large areas on their own (Cowboys, Canberra, Broncos, Melbourne and soon to be Perth, fingers crossed) would be more valuable to the NRL because they are the sole provider of NRL to their respective areas. If a Sydney team went bunk... yea i'd be sh*t but most (apart from the odd few die-hard fans) will likely shimmy across to the several other clubs that are located nearby, minimising fan damage.

If I were supporting a Sydney club and they were going down... I don't know how i'd respond. It is a clash of desires really. That said I am the kind that could switch the team I was following, so I would get over it.

The NRL will look worse if they have a team fall over on them, opposed to relocating/dropping them from the competition before hand.

If I were supporting a Sydney club and they were going down... I don't know how i'd respond. It is a clash of desires really. That said I am the kind that could switch the team I was following, so I would get over it.

Depends on scenario and circumstances. If a team goes down because of their own managerial mistakes then that's their own fault. The clubs fans/members should have voted their board out. However if a team chooses to relocate for the better good of the game and still goes down, then fans have the right to be angry at the games organization for a backflip of support and promises.

clarency

Juniors
Yea I didn't mention that either. The Norths situation was just bullsh*t too. I'd be hilarious to see Manly kicked out and all 3 bids accepted. That would be grand.

Yea I didn't mention that either. The Norths situation was just bullsh*t too. I'd be hilarious to see Manly kicked out and all 3 bids accepted. That would be grand.

Manly have been intelligent enough to shore up another location (Sunny Coast) incase that ever happens. Plus I personally want Manly to survive because of the potential grudge matches.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Manly have been intelligent enough to shore up another location (Sunny Coast) incase that ever happens. Plus I personally want Manly to survive because of the potential grudge matches.
Why would the CENTRAL COAST bears, a new club, have a grudge match against manly?

Oh, I understand. When it suits the bears are a new club representing the Central Coast. Otherwise they are really just North Sydney representing a few fans on the north shore.

How about the fact Manly did a dump and run on the CC? Is that good enough answer for you? When the Northern Eagles were scheduled to play all games at Bluetongue yet they (backed by Manly board) took the majority to Brookvale..

Considering the majority of fans are based on the CC. All operations are ran from the CC. The huge community ground swell of support from the CC. The 40+ local CC based businesses that are bid partners/sponsors. The Center of Excellence center proposal on the CC. But you guys will call it a North Sydney team to undermine the bid.

Note that i didn't even mention the pre existing Bears/Sea Eagles rivalry?

But keep twisting things all you want. I'm always here to straighten it out.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
How about the fact Manly did a dump and run on the CC? Is that good enough answer for you? When the Northern Eagles were scheduled to play all games at Bluetongue yet they (backed by Manly board) took the majority to Brookvale..

Considering the majority of fans are based on the CC. All operations are ran from the CC. The huge community ground swell of support from the CC. The 40+ local CC based businesses that are bid partners/sponsors. The Center of Excellence center proposal on the CC.

Note that i didn't even mention the pre existing Bears/Sea Eagles rivalry?

But keep twisting things all you want. I'm always here to straighten it out.
Let's not beat around the bush. The only reason that the bears give a tinker's cuss about the CC is because its their 'in' back into the NRL. All this bullsh*t about doing it for the CC community is padding. The bears are doing it for themselves. Not that there's anything wrong with that, in fact its the perfect reason to do it. But drop the bullsh*t about doing it for the community.

The problem with the bears bid is that try as it might to look at the future it is obsessed with righting the supposed wrongs of the past.

Let's not beat around the bush. The only reason that the bears give a tinker's cuss about the CC is because its their 'in' back into the NRL. All this bullsh*t about doing it for the CC community is padding. The bears are doing it for themselves. Not that there's anything wrong with that, in fact its the perfect reason to do it. But drop the bullsh*t about doing it for the community.

The problem with the bears bid is that try as it might to look at the future it is obsessed with righting the supposed wrongs of the past.

So building a stadium on the Central Coast was all about the Bears? Holding weekly membership drives on the CC on the back of volunteers is just about the Bears? Pretty much all the CC junior clubs affiliating themselves to the bid is about the Bears? The CRL affiliating themselves with the bid is all about the BEARS? The 40+ businesses from the CC backing the bid is all about the BEARS?

It's about the Central Coast and from day one it's been a community based bid but what would I know compared to you about the Central Coast Bears bid aye? It's not like ive been keeping up to date on it or anything:sarcasm::roll::lol::crazy:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
So building a stadium on the Central Coast was all about the Bears? Holding weekly membership drives on the CC on the back of volunteers is just about the Bears? Pretty much all the CC junior clubs affiliating themselves to the bid is about the Bears? The CRL affiliating themselves with the bid is all about the BEARS? The 40+ businesses from the CC backing the bid is all about the BEARS?

You're contradicting yourself. Aren't the CC and the Bears one and the same?

It's about the Central Coast and from day one it's been a community based bid but what would I know compared to you about the Central Coast Bears bid aye? It's not like ive been keeping up to date on it or anything:sarcasm::roll::lol::crazy:

If its about the central coast drop the connection to north sydney and drop the past entirely.

Its only a community based bid because that's what the NRL requires. If the NRL didn't require that then the community wouldn't be given a second thought.

You're contradicting yourself. Aren't the CC and the Bears one and the same?

If its about the central coast drop the connection to north sydney and drop the past entirely.

Its only a community based bid because that's what the NRL requires. If the NRL didn't require that then the community wouldn't be given a second thought.

Ive said it once, I'll say it again for the slow. Just because the Central Coast Bears are in a unique position where we can represent the future in the Central Coast but also maintain historical links to our past, North Shore. it shouldn't be a reason for people like yourself to get all emotional. It's a good thing for the game. The BEARS brand brings in the corporate support, the Central Coast brings in the community support. It's a beautiful unity which has spawned a brand new entity.

However you don't see St. George/Illawarra letting go of their historical links with Illawarra and St. George. Likewise with Wests Tigers and their connections to Balmain/Western Suburbs.

Even the Titans have kept their historical links with the Seagulls, Chargers..

Should they all drop their history too?

Beowulf

Juniors
Let's not beat around the bush. The only reason that the bears give a tinker's cuss about the CC is because its their 'in' back into the NRL.

A short history lesson which I'm sure you're familiar with, but it just doesn't suit your Bear-hatred.

1908-1947 CC is part of the North Sydney Bears catchment.
1908-1982??? Central Coast rep sides wear red and black
1981 Bears first start talks about relocating to Central Coast
1991 Firm talks held with CCDRL but local CC Clubs reject idea as they didn't want an NSWRL team overshadowing them.

Then of course the Bears offered to move to the CC, voted in 1997 to change their name to the CC Bears, helped pay for a stadium there after being assured of support if needed from the administration that was never forthcoming, unlike 5 or 6 other clubs who have had similar cash flow shortages from time to time. When Manly abandoned the Coast, they left the Bears and CC as one in their disgust of Manly. That's why this is the perfect fit and why most RL fans want the CC Bears in - to stick it to Manly, if nothing else! Both sets of fans will love it!

And all that time since 1981 I though the Bears were making a genuine commitment to the Coast - it was all a masterplan insurance policy in case they were kicked out of the comp! :sarcasm: :crazy:

Last edited:

BDGS

Bench
I should clarify. I didn't mention that it applies exclusively to Sydney because of the large quantity of teams. Some teams that are covering large areas on their own (Cowboys, Canberra, Broncos, Melbourne and soon to be Perth, fingers crossed) would be more valuable to the NRL because they are the sole provider of NRL to their respective areas. If a Sydney team went bunk... yea i'd be sh*t but most (apart from the odd few die-hard fans) will likely shimmy across to the several other clubs that are located nearby, minimising fan damage.

Yeah, that worked so well last time :sarcasm:

ah say no more

No it wouldn't, why would we want to lose a club with as much history? With that much fans? With that much player pulling power?

These last few statements undermine your support of the game altogether.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
A short history lesson which I'm sure you're familiar with, but it just doesn't suit your Bear-hatred.

1908-1947 CC is part of the North Sydney Bears catchment.
1908-1982??? Central Coast rep sides wear red and black
1981 Bears first start talks about relocating to Central Coast
1991 Firm talks held with CCDRL but local CC Clubs reject idea as they didn't want an NSWRL team overshadowing them.

Then of course the Bears offered to move to the CC, voted in 1997 to change their name to the CC Bears, helped pay for a stadium there after being assured of support if needed from the administration that was never forthcoming, unlike 5 or 6 other clubs who have had similar cash flow shortages from time to time. When Manly abandoned the Coast, they left the Bears and CC as one in their disgust of Manly. That's why this is the perfect fit and why most RL fans want the CC Bears in - to stick it to Manly, if nothing else! Both sets of fans will love it!

And all that time since 1981 I though the Bears were making a genuine commitment to the Coast - it was all a masterplan insurance policy in case they were kicked out of the comp! :sarcasm: :crazy:

Here's some history. The bears were goooone in at the end of 1999. thats 12 years ago. If they re-enter in 2013 that's 14 years ago. Noone on the central coast under the age of 18 will even know who the bears are and give a damn about their history despite what you and a few other relics might say. Getting little kids to don the same old hat and hold up a sticker doesn't mean their fans who know the history of the bears, it just means they're being photographed with a piece of merchandise. (on a side note do the parents of these kids give permission for their photo to be published to a potential world wide audience?)

As for Manly giving the bears the arse, no kid under the age of 16 will remember or care. Nor do CC people unless they were NS bears supporters who can't let go. Again its just the dinosaur brigade.

There is a continuing contradiction with the bears bid. On the one hand they are a new club representing the CC. On the other hand they are a foundation club looking for reinstatement.

On the one hand they are a CC community based club. Then they are a team that carry the same old tired grudges from the past.

Its the achilles heel of the bid.

_Johnsy

Referee
Here's some history. The bears were goooone in at the end of 1999. thats 12 years ago. If they re-enter in 2013 that's 14 years ago. Noone on the central coast under the age of 18 will even know who the bears are and give a damn about their history despite what you and a few other relics might say. Getting little kids to don the same old hat and hold up a sticker doesn't mean their fans who know the history of the bears, it just means they're being photographed with a piece of merchandise. (on a side note do the parents of these kids give permission for their photo to be published to a potential world wide audience?)

As for Manly giving the bears the arse, no kid under the age of 16 will remember or care. Nor do CC people unless they were NS bears supporters who can't let go. Again its just the dinosaur brigade.

There is a continuing contradiction with the bears bid. On the one hand they are a new club representing the CC. On the other hand they are a foundation club looking for reinstatement.

On the one hand they are a CC community based club. Then they are a team that carry the same old tired grudges from the past.

Its the achilles heel of the bid.

For someone who considers themselves a supporter of RL in this country, it's a shame you are ready to discard history. Do we wipe the entire history books because some kids under the age of 16/18 dont care about the past ?

Tired old grudges = tradition & rivalry.

The North Sydney Bears history should be celebrated. I see that as their biggest strength, I suppose that's natural for someone who appreciates our games history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts