What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quidgybo

Bench
Still don't believe that SE QLD is ready for another team. Titans need a few more years to really establish and solidify their position.
Which is a sound position to take. But do we go with an 11th NSW side in the mean time even though the game doesn't really want an 11th NSW side simply because there's a strong bid standing by? Or do we wait until the places where the game actually wants more teams are ready?

Leigh

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
The Bears being a NSW side is irrelevant to me. The Central Coast + North Sydney is a large area that can flourish in the NRL and definitely would add value.

Goddo

Bench
^ but it won't add much revenue, and it may put increased pressure on current Sydney sides.

I'd rather the NRL goes after the big money to be made from Queensland, and use that to reinforce the competition with substancial increases to club grants and junior funding.

Raises the question, why expand? To improve revenue/market reach/new markets? If thats the case, you automatically look to the locations that best fit those criteria. Thats Perth and Brisbane.

BDGS

Bench
I don't see how adding another Brisbane team will cannobilise the Titans corporate or supporter base any greater than adding a team in Gosford may do to the other 9 NSW teams. Titans seem to have an equal supporter and corporate base as any Sydney team.

I agree with this, it's a issue that both the Central Coast and Brisbane bid will equally feel.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interestingly I haven't heard the Titans/Cowboys criticise the Q'land bids in the same way NSW clubs have the Bears.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Titans CEO said no expansion in SEQ for at least five years months ago.

I think he is right as well. They are a young club trying to build their supporter place, they could do without extra competition for another few years yet.

clarency

Juniors
Titans are going to feel at least some advantage of a new Bris team through an additional derby, and possibly lead to fans' having a stronger attachment to their team with more "local" "enemies".

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So crowding the SEQ market will be beneficial but crowding the NSW market is a disaster?

:?

adamkungl

Immortal
I think he is right as well. They are a young club trying to build their supporter place, they could do without extra competition for another few years yet.

This. Give them a few more years to pick up the young fans before giving them another nearby choice.

Beowulf

Juniors
So crowding the SEQ market will be beneficial but crowding the NSW market is a disaster?

:?

You can't win! The point of difference is that Manly/Newcastle have been around a long time and have established bases of support. Broncos similarly would survive a new entrant, but the Titans are very vulnerable.

The Bears ownership model being prepared for release in coming weeks will rely on revenue sources of no threat to other NSW teams.

On Sky Sports Radio this morning, John Grant outlined his criteria for an expansion team: strong community involvement, proven local support, proximity to other teams, good public transport links so travelling fans can get to the ground with speed and ease.....sounds like Flo is writing his script!

So ignore all the agenda driven anti-Bears drivel in recent months, because for the people that matter, the Bears are ticking all the right boxes. We're not stupid - we learned from the previous bid.

The Bears bid is watertight - with 5 failed SEQ franchises in a row, will the NRL gamble on a 6th AND gamble with expansion to the west with another AFL franchise on the horizon? They may do one, but not both.

Perth Red

Post Whore
AND gamble with expansion to the west with another AFL franchise on the horizon?
:)

Perth will not get another AFL franchise in the next 30+years. Unlike RL they are not stupid enough to dilute the fanbase and $'s too much. NRL needs another NSW team as much as AFL needs another Victoria team.

AND gamble with expansion to the west with another AFL franchise on the horizon?
:)

Perth will not get another AFL franchise in the next 30+years. Unlike RL they are not stupid enough to dilute the fanbase and $'s too much. NRL needs another NSW team as much as AFL needs another Victoria team.

That's a bit rich. How is it diluting when it's quite clear that the Central Coast Bears bid is the only bid with an established fan base already and I'm not talking about a few hundred people either. For all the noise being made by the other bids I'm yet to see regular Joe's dedicate themselves to their cause.

Teddyboy

First Grade
That's a bit rich. How is it diluting when it's quite clear that the Central Coast Bears bid is the only bid with an established fan base already and I'm not talking about a few hundred people either. For all the noise being made by the other bids I'm yet to see regular Joe's dedicate themselves to their cause.

Can I keep both you and Perth Red happy by kicking out time wasters like Souths and the Roosters and having a worth while cause like the Central Coast replacing one of them.

BuffaloRules

Coach
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-for-except-nick/story-e6frfgbo-1226097144991

Everyone's excited - except Nick

THERE is no sense at all in calling for a boycott of the biggest show in town.
The Daily Telegraph sports columnist Nick Walshaw won't be at Friday week's NRL blockbuster between fierce rivals Manly Sea Eagles and Wests Tigers at Gosford's Bluetongue Stadium because of the general perception that the Central Coast won't be included in any near future NRL competition.

But Gosford and its residents need this match for a multitude of reasons.

I went to school in Gosford way back and know the area well. I remember the Pacific Highway ran through the centre of town and my parents' fish and chip shop opposite the railway station, like the rest of the businesses in Mann St, was thriving.

Not so any more. Gosford township after dark is lifeless compared to the thriving town it once was.

The place needs a lift and 20,000 football fans can provide some much-needed atmosphere and, more importantly, dollars into the local community. The cash-strapped Central Coast Leagues Club opposite the ground will be packed from mid-afternoon, during and after the game. It will take on one night what it normally takes in two weeks.

The motels and the numerous takeaway food outlets and restaurants will do a roaring trade, as will the hotels. People will make a long weekend of it.

I know I will as I head for the beautiful Star of The Sea resort at nearby Terrigal.

Try telling more than 70 starry-eyed youngsters under 10 years of age that they can't go to the big game and have their long-awaited opportunity to strut their stuff on the field of dreams at halftime.

The youngsters from St Edwards Bears, Entrance Tigers, Umina Bunnies and Northern Lakes Warriors are counting the days until they can strap on the boots and play in front of the biggest crowd of their short lives.

They'll attempt to emulate the Benji Marshall step or the Kieran Foran show and go.

They will marvel at the up-close-and-personal look at the superstar Kiwis in the No.6 jerseys having a personal duel.

There are many thousands of Tigers and Sea Eagles fans on the Central Coast who travel to Campbelltown, Leichhardt or Brookvale several times every winter to cheer on their favourite team.

For them, this is a real home match on a superb ground, well run by a team of talented and professional local women employed by the Coast's biggest sports fan, John Singleton. The ground and the people of the district deserve elite sport. They get a taste with the well organised and well coached Central Coast Mariners but even their coach Graham Arnold would admit the Central Coast people love their rugby league.

And they will come in numbers on Friday week. The boycott called for by Nick Walshaw will fall on deaf ears, in general seating and corporate areas.

The 34 corporate suites are sold, many to local companies. Ticket sales are well in advance of last year's match, which attracted more than 19,000 fans.

Advertising for the match has just started in earnest and Channel 9 will telecast the game to a massive audience.

bobmar28

Bench
I'd just like to add that as the Titans perform terrible this year their fans have deserted them for the most part and this is a team who has been established for a few seasons now. It's obvious that they are struggling and Im quite sure no one expected their current predicament. I have no doubts that putting another team close to their promixity with their current situation could potentially be fatal to their franchise (though highly unlikely). If we have learnt anything from history is that the Gold Coast needs breathing space to grow and not 2 teams up the road (one established and with their hands already in the cookie jar whilst the other *bid team* would be fighting for corporate dollars).

You shouldn't be death riding the Titans in the hope that it will benefit the Bears.

Billythekid

First Grade
Another Brisbane team would give the GC another local derby which would really help them.

I'm not trying to make any judgements just looking at it from another angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.