What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I am not a bears fan, never have been.

Still remember the raiders knocking them out all those years ago in the early 90s and enjoying it immensely.

That said, you are right it was not 100 percent manlys fault, the bears and the nrl have to shoulder some of the blame. The license should have never reverted back to manly.

You could not give a club like manly a reason not to support the thing 1,000,000 percent. I get that every club has to look out for itself, but there becomes a point where you have done that much harm that what good you have gained from getting your license back is way out wieghed, by the destruction of the bears to the league and to manly.

Wasnt it the Bears that couldnt pay their contributions that lost them the seats in the club??

I mean, Manly may have never really committed to a JV, and it still shits me that they ditched the CC after it fell apart, but the death of the Bears in the NRL was the Bears fault alone...

As for the arguement that they should not be rewarded for destroying the JV, this happened 15 years ago. This is one of those instances where petty conflicts and feuds should not be placed above the game. North Syndey needs proper pathways and Manly need juniors; the whims of bitter SL rivals should not be given presidence to the prosperity of the game.

The other thing is, manlys juniors in general have sucked more then north sydneys in my time here, thus why give manly who are pretty shit at bringing juniors through and getting more people to play rugby league control of something they clearly fail out.

Unless you have some studies or some clear evidence, other than your own personal experience that it is the Manly Sea Eagles RLFC that is the reason these junior pathways are so shit, this cannot be taken seriously as an arguement...

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
lol like a Qland area is going to accept a historic NSW brand and club. the market value of the Bears to a new area is insignificant really and is the reason no new region has tried to get into bed with them.

Accept ?? - They are losing $$$$ per year.

They have had multiple rebrands over the years.

Are you saying they wouldn't want the away crowds in Sydney etc ??

The Titans is a tarnished brand.

Ultimately there will be a few pooh poohers (including you) however it will be up to the NRL and from what can be seen so far the benefits far outweigh any negative.

Including the fact that you have passionate people prepared to put there hard earned into a failing franchise being propped up by the NRL.

What region would have tried to get into bed with them ??
You do know they are/have been running their own bid to gain entry into the competition on the CC right.

adamkungl

Immortal
Slapping Bears name and colours on Gold Coast doesn't make them the Bears.

Teams changing names or cities is a dodgy business, but the thing that gives them the same identity (in my opinion) is continuity.

North Sydney Bears has continued on in NSW Cup and there has been a sustained effort to rebirth their First Grade on the Central Coast.

Slapping the brand over the Titans doesn't give old fans, or North Sydney, or the Central Coast anything except a mascot. There's no connection.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
I know what you mean however if the CC Bid is doomed this will have large support from Bears 1/4's so in fact it will make them the Bears if the fans support it.

North Sydney will still remain in the NSW Cup if this happens.

I'd say the question of if there is a connection is up to Bears fans to decide.

One thing is for sure, the NRL will not run/fund the GC indefinitely if there are parties offering to buy in and ease that burden.

reanimate

Bench
Slapping Bears name and colours on Gold Coast doesn't make them the Bears.

Teams changing names or cities is a dodgy business, but the thing that gives them the same identity (in my opinion) is continuity.

North Sydney Bears has continued on in NSW Cup and there has been a sustained effort to rebirth their First Grade on the Central Coast.

Slapping the brand over the Titans doesn't give old fans, or North Sydney, or the Central Coast anything except a mascot. There's no connection.

The options the Bears seem to have been given are set up shop elsewhere, or see the brand remain gone from first grade forever. I think Bears fans would rather see them exist in some form, rather than not exist at all. It worked for the South Melbourne Swans.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Accept ?? - They are losing $$$$ per year.

They have had multiple rebrands over the years.

Are you saying they wouldn't want the away crowds in Sydney etc ??

The Titans is a tarnished brand.

Ultimately there will be a few pooh poohers (including you) however it will be up to the NRL and from what can be seen so far the benefits far outweigh any negative.

Including the fact that you have passionate people prepared to put there hard earned into a failing franchise being propped up by the NRL.

What region would have tried to get into bed with them ??
You do know they are/have been running their own bid to gain entry into the competition on the CC right.

GC gain nothing from a good Sydney crowd...

flippikat

First Grade
Bears LC did buy out Seagulls LC

So they do have a base on both camps

Spot on. Aren't the Burleigh Bears a feeder for the Titans too?

Ok, so this might be like saying 2 + 2 = 22, BUT a rebrand of the Titans does pull together a number of threads here into a nifty solution.

The new club gets a classic colour scheme, a decent logo/mascot, and a connection to a foundation club.

The NRL importantly settles the issue of what to do with the Bears, and keeps the Central Coast as a possible 2nd venue or relocation destination for a struggling Sydney club, and the next expansion is a no-brainer - Perth and a 2nd Brisbane team.

Peter C

Juniors
If the bears dont get the north shore territory for juniors it should be split as follows:-
North of Gordon (upper north shore) becomes part of parras juniors.
South of Gordon (lower north shore) becomes part of tigers juniors.

Whatever happens whilst the clubs still run sydneys juniors manly should have no claim to north shores junior rugby league, or to there fans (in any way other then any other football side).

When my boys start playing footy it would be easier to be in a comp playing some of the manly teams .. belrose / forrestville, but truth be told, manly were 99 percent of the reason the northern eagles failed, which was the end of the bears, they should not be rewarded when they destroy rugby league.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story Papabear.
These are the FACTS behind the joint venture between Norths and Manly,
under the rules of the criteria for the final 14 teams, Norths were not included as they went into administration a few weeks before, so they were ineligible for a license, Manly made the criteria and were granted a license in their own right.
With inducements or pressure from NRL and some Manly management, they decided to go into a J/V with Norths, with one condition, that if the J/V failed for whatever reason the license would revert back to Manly, as it was theirs before the J/V.
The board of the J/V was always fractured, as the Norths side of the board [mainly Mark Cannon] was insistent on all games being played out of the Central Coast stadium which infuriated the Manly side side, which inevitably caused the split, Norths even tired to take away the license by saying that Manly was almost insolvent and couldn't pay the players.
Manly did pay the players, North Sydney Leagues would not contribute anything to the J/V and it all collapsed, with the license reverting to the original owners.

siv

First Grade
Norths were in administration when the administrators did a deal with Manly FC to get access to some of the $8mil to form a JV

papabear

Juniors
Obviously North Sydney were behind North Sydneys own demise.

But just as obviously, Manly were behind the JV's demise.

papabear

Juniors
The bears wanted the JV to succeed.

Manly did not want the JV to succeed.

The fact that both clubs still hated eachother should have been irrelevant to keeping the joint venture going.

The suggestion that manly should take control of Norths Juniors is the laughable suggestion made by the same idiots who suggest manly had nothing to do with the JV failure, if you can't connect the dots then dont even bother.

Bullsh!t. Typical obstinate bears propaganda.

If the bears wanted the joint venture to succeed they would not have demanded something so obviously untenable. That being, that all games should be played at Gosford.

The bear personalities involved with that irresponsible tantrum hold the overwhelming responsibility for their demise.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

The fact that both clubs still hated eachother should have been irrelevant to keeping the joint venture going.

The suggestion that manly should take control of Norths Juniors is the laughable suggestion made by the same idiots who suggest manly had nothing to do with the JV failure, if you can't connect the dots then dont even bother.

Theres a story that the Bears reps walked into the first meeting and said that they would own the club outright in 2 years....

t-ba

Post Whore
The Bears wanted the JV to succeed. Lol.

The Bears wanted to finish Manly off and claim the license. If they wanted the JV to succeed they would have put some cash in in July 2001 instead of letting the JV fall apart. The Leagues club was responsible for the club going down in 1999 by geniusedly hodling off funding, just like they were responsible for killing off the JV in hopes of getting the license.

Stop srinking from the kool-aid

papabear

Juniors
The Bears wanted the JV to succeed. Lol.

The Bears wanted to finish Manly off and claim the license. If they wanted the JV to succeed they would have put some cash in in July 2001 instead of letting the JV fall apart. The Leagues club was responsible for the club going down in 1999 by geniusedly hodling off funding, just like they were responsible for killing off the JV in hopes of getting the license.

Stop srinking from the kool-aid
Come on now?

how do the bears finish manly off and claim the license when the terms of the JV has the license reverting directly to manly.

Its not me drinking the kool aid.

Latest posts