What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

t-ba

Post Whore
Come on now?

how do the bears finish manly off and claim the license when the terms of the JV has the license reverting directly to manly.

Its not me drinking the kool aid.

Norths did not think Manly were capable of paying their way out of the problem. Conventional wisdom at the time held that the JV had bled the Manly Leagues Club dry and that the football club would go into liquidation. The dumb f**ks running Norths at the time thought that Manly would have their license revoked and they could swoop in and take it.

They were stupid, just like they were in 1999 when they thought it would be a good idea to send the football club into administration on the eve of a mass culling.

toomuchsoup

Juniors
seeing as expansion seems to be out of the picture for the foreseeable future, the bears only real opportunity to come back is to take over the titans.

GOLD COAST BEARS!

black and red

It'd be mad!

i highly doubt it'd ever happen though

Tigers1986

Juniors
BUMP

Well well well, read in the Herald today that North sydney officials are keen as mustard to purchase the Titans licence and see them re-branded the Gold Coast Bears, splitting home fixtures between Robina, Gosford and North Sydney.

I'd absolutely adore for this to happen.

applesauce

Bench
2 games max away from Robina IMO.

1 in NSO and 1 at Gosford. Sydney Bears fans will have Titans/Bears away games to attend if they wish. It shouldn't come at the weakening of RL on the gold coast.

Tigers1986

Juniors
RL and sport in general is dead on the Gold Coast. They've had FOUR chances now to setup a team there, all doomed. Capitalising on the existing base is great business.

North Sydney Oval would be amazing to watch a game at again. No place like home.

jim_57

Staff member
I'm sure NRL will have conditions in place that if such a buy out of the license was to happen that at least 10/11 games would remain on the Gold Coast. We don't need more games in NSW and we don't need less games in QLD, simple stuff.

1 game, maximum 2 a year at NSO, I don't think Central Coast is theirs to claim if they buy the Gold Coast license, they have never fielded a top grade team there.

NRL should offer a financial incentive for a Sydney club to move 4/6 games a year to the Central Coast much like St George do with Wollongong.

paulmac

Juniors
Agree 100% with Jim.10 games at Robina,2 games at NSO.Let Manly or the Roosters have Central Coast.

alien

Referee
NRL should offer a financial incentive for a Sydney club to move 4/6 games a year to the Central Coast much like St George do with Wollongong.

st george ILLAWARRA don't MOVE home games to wollongong. wollongong is their home as much as kogarah is.

jim_57

Staff member
st george ILLAWARRA don't MOVE home games to wollongong. wollongong is their home as much as kogarah is.

Yes but the NRL should offer a club to MOVE games to Central Coast, meaning they would have a similar home game structure to St George. I'm perfectly aware of how the the StGI merger/home game situation works, you know what I meant precious.

reanimate

Bench
Please NRL, for the love of rationality and common sense, if you allow the Bears to enter the NRL as the Gold Coast Bears, you have to make them give up the North Shore to a Sydney-based NRL team. They can't have their cake and eat it too, getting the Gold Coast has to come at the cost of allowing the North Shore to breathe and develop again under a Sydney team's full time presence.

Knightmare

Coach
RL and sport in general is dead on the Gold Coast. They've had FOUR chances now to setup a team there, all doomed. Capitalising on the existing base is great business.

North Sydney Oval would be amazing to watch a game at again. No place like home.

NSO is a picturesque ground no doubt, but watching footy there feels less like being at a sporting event and more like being in a large park with a beer garden and a game of footy going on in the background. I agree that having at least one Bears game a year at their spiritual home is a great idea, but the emphasis should be for more games in Gosford.

Said it back in 2005 amidst people blinded by the "We must have a Qld team!" mantra: The GC is the wrong place to support a team. Too many short-stayers with no loyalty to the area and too many expats who won't be jumping ship anytime soon. Then you get this ridiculous parochialism from Qlders who see the Titans as "not a Qld team" because it's not chock-full of Maroons stars.

Best case scenario? Move the Bears to Gosford full-time (at long last) and let's take a look at the other Qld NRL bids to fill spot #17. I'd lean towards CQ or an existing QRL team from the Bribane/ greater Brisbane area making the jump.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I'm sure NRL will have conditions in place that if such a buy out of the license was to happen that at least 10/11 games would remain on the Gold Coast. We don't need more games in NSW and we don't need less games in QLD, simple stuff.

1 game, maximum 2 a year at NSO, I don't think Central Coast is theirs to claim if they buy the Gold Coast license, they have never fielded a top grade team there.

Pretty much this. 10 games Robina, 2 Games CC, with another 4-5 coming from Sydney teams taking there match vs the GC to the CC. Bulldogs and Manly always take a game there, just getting a few others to do similar and you have the CC sown up. Though the GC will get a bit of an advantage by having the 2 home grounds in reality.

siv

First Grade
Bears to get back in FG anyway they can

Then in a few years look at playing a heritage game or two

Then increase to to 3 or 4 and slowly relocate off the GC

The NRL should just have a licence on the Gold Coast.

If the Titans can't do it (which is ironic, because isn't it the NRL's property?) is should be sold to a bidder on the proviso the team plays all its home games on the Gold Coast and is named the Gold Coast so and sos.

Same thing should have been done with the Gosford / CC licence the Northern Eagles had. When that relationship soured, the licence reverted to the NRL and they gave it to another consortium to enter/establish a team on the CC.

This is how the NRL should proceed. We have a Perth licence, we have an Adelaide licence, we have a South Island in NZ licence...etc. And people bid for the licence in that region and not have regions bid for a licence.

Stops everyone wasting their time.

BuffaloRules

Coach
If the Bears decide to join forces with the Gold Coast then they should cut ties with the Central Coast and let another team ( Roosters maybe?) start moving into the area with perhaps the long term goal of being essentially based there permanently..

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Chargers, Seagulls, Gladiators, Titans... And now the Bears. I can't put this plain enough. If the Titans are re-branded the Bears, they may as well relocate them to Gosford. Nobody will support them through another name change. I know a few Tits fans, can't imagine they could do it all over again. Hand over the keys on the GC to the AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If this happens how long until rumours of a full relocation back to NSW begins? I am sure the Bears can come up with all sorts of reasons it just isn't working on the GC.