What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If this happens how long until rumours of a full relocation back to NSW begins? I am sure the Bears can come up with all sorts of reasons it just isn't working on the GC.

That's easily avoided by linking the licence to the GC when the NRL sells the Titans to whoever purchases it.

In other words you can have an NRL team but only if it plays the majority of it's games on the GC otherwise your NRL licence is null and void.

Though undoubtedly the rumours will start as soon as the Bears take over (if they take over) no matter how many times it's explained to the media that they can't move the NRL club.

Pommy

Coach
If the Bears decide to join forces with the Gold Coast then they should cut ties with the Central Coast and let another team ( Roosters maybe?) start moving into the area with perhaps the long term goal of being essentially based there permanently..

If Roosters did that then Moore Park would essentially become a "soccer" stadium.

BuffaloRules

Coach
If Roosters did that then Moore Park would essentially become a "soccer" stadium.

Heard of the Waratahs?

The Roosters get average crowds and consider that they have been in the Top 3 teams for years.

I think there is a limit to how big they can get based in the Eastern Suburbs

The East Coast Bears would be a joke- a team trying to represent areas 800 kms apart and in different states.

Look at the issues the merged teams playing out of multiple grounds and trying to keep two areas happy have had only being 50kms apart.

Pommy

Coach
Heard of the Waratahs?

The Roosters get average crowds and consider that they have been in the Top 3 teams for years.

I think there is a limit to how big they can get based in the Eastern Suburbs

The East Coast Bears would be a joke- a team trying to represent areas 800 kms apart and in different states.

Look at the issues the merged teams playing out of multiple grounds and trying to keep two areas happy have had only being 50kms apart.

Yes I know who they are note the use of the word essentially. SFC have a minimum of 14 home games a season as the league currently stands either way it won't be used for the football it's named after. Not unless they can entice Souths back there which I would be happy with if the public transport is improved to a decent level.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
BUMP

Well well well, read in the Herald today that North sydney officials are keen as mustard to purchase the Titans licence and see them re-branded the Gold Coast Bears, splitting home fixtures between Robina, Gosford and North Sydney.

I'd absolutely adore for this to happen.

As long as the contract has a minimum number of games at Robina and says the team must be based up there.

Id hate to see the NS group swoop in and turn the GC presence down to a minimum.

Henestly, if they were to do this, id rather they gave up the CC to someone else (the Roosters seem interested)

Marlins

Juniors
If the NRL does let the bears buy out the GCTitans. Then what are chances other bids trying to buy out the other clubs the NRL have control over. Could we see the west coast/Perth bid trying to buy out say the Wests Tigers.

Pommy

Coach
If the NRL does let the bears buy out the GCTitans. Then what are chances other bids trying to buy out the other clubs the NRL have control over. Could we see the west coast/Perth bid trying to buy out say the Wests Tigers.

Surely if the situation arose west magpies have first refusal of the other half.

Tigers1986

Juniors
Wests Magpies have first and last rights to purhcase Balmain's stake in the venture so they will never have the Wests Tigers be sold to another consortium.

Marlins

Juniors
I wonder what would of happened if the Gold Coast had branded themselves with the north Sydney bears back in 07' instead of the Titans. Would they be a more successful club now and in a better position and if so is to late to do it now.

flippikat

Bench
I wonder what would of happened if the Gold Coast had branded themselves with the north Sydney bears back in 07' instead of the Titans. Would they be a more successful club now and in a better position and if so is to late to do it now.

I'm not sure if it's too late now.. it still may work if the Bears are serious about basing themselves in the GC, and not wriggling their way out to Gosford once they get their hands on the license.

The NRL needs to be firm on that. It's wise of them to hold the Bears to staying focused on the GC, because that leaves the Central Coast as an option for other Sydney clubs to engage with, or at worst some sort of leverage to deal with underperforming Sydney clubs. (Not meeting KPIs? How about you relocate to Gosford, away from the saturated Sydney market...?)

The Great Dane

First Grade

That's an interesting question.

In my opinion if we assume that the Bears made all the same mistakes that the Titans have made up until this point then they'd be in the same position that the Titans are in now.

Unlike many I don't think that the Titans brand poisoned them from the start, I don't think that it is a very good brand, but I also think that it could have worked if they had not made all their financial and community engagement mistakes.

In my opinion no brand could survive the constant flow of mistakes and negative media that the Titans have dealt with for long.

Marlins

Juniors
What's everyone's honest opinion on the Gold Coast.
A) should the Gold Coast stay as the Titans
B) should they rebrand themselves as the bears or some other bid name
C) should the NRL quit on the Gold Coast for now and try again in the future

flippikat

Bench
What's everyone's honest opinion on the Gold Coast.

A) should the Gold Coast stay as the Titans

B) should they rebrand themselves as the bears or some other bid name

C) should the NRL quit on the Gold Coast for now and try again in the future

A) No. The colour scheme is not distinctive (enough teams in blue, or blue & yellow as it is), the name is a generic "fly in", and tainted by a dicey pre ious administration.

B) For me, the Bears works. Distinctive colour scheme, ability to leverage off the old Sydney base for a sizable number of away games, righting a wrong from the post-war peace settlement.. it all adds up.

C) IF the Bears bid fails to buy the Titans, the next option I would consider is a second Brisbane club to replace the Titans (probably Ipswich/Jagera, playing 2-3 home games on the Gold Coast, to keep SOME NRL presence there)

Marlins

Juniors
Agreed If the bears fail on the coast. 2nd Brisbane team IMO a Brothers Qld team playing games at Suncorp, GC and towns in NQLD/CQLD

flippikat

Bench
Agreed If the bears fail on the coast. 2nd Brisbane team IMO a Brothers Qld team playing games at Suncorp, GC and towns in NQLD/CQLD

The Brothers bid is an interesting one... my only concern is they'd have to be careful not to take too many games out of Brisbane - it would erode the value of season memberships too much, and lose focus for the players and organisation if they're forever travelling for 'home' games.

3, maybe 4 home games away from Brisbane per year, maximum I'd say.

That's the key reason why I prefer West Brisbane/Ipswich over Brothers. More focus.

If the Gold Coast falls over, and club 16 is reallocated to Brisbane2 (whichever syndicate) - that makes the next expansion for me a no-brainer: West Coast Pirates & a second NZ team.

Keep the Central Coast vacant for any Sydney club to adopt as a secondary market... or a potential relocation if any Sydney club hits the wall.

Marlins

Juniors
I hope the GC can sort it out wether be Titans or Bears. As for the Brothers bid I agree majority of games at Suncorp but a brothers team playing games in Cairns/Mackay/Rockhampton would be a great of getting NRL games to those places which are RL crazy and craving NRL games. All those towns also have brothers teams playing in RL, Soccer and Cricket and would be a great way to gain more supporters and give those towns a team to support without actually having a full NRL side in those towns and still give the NRL more games at Suncorp.

taipan

Referee
A) Titans.That's the original name for 10 plus years>leave it at that and grow the brand.

Latest posts