What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

alien

Referee
So would the "Gold Coast Bears" technically be a new club when it comes to records, or will it be a continuation of the Titans' records, or will it be a continuation of the North Sydney Bears records (which means they basically come back into first grade, but relocated). It should be the last option imo, and I guess it would be if it's actually Norths that take over the license.

Last edited:

Diesel

Referee
Some news regarding the Gold Coast Bears from Rugby League Review June 2016 issue Page 10 The Detective column:
Earlier this season there were reports that the North Sydney Bears were looking at taking over the licence of the Gold Coast Titans and re-brand them the Gold Coast Bears and play in the red and black jerseys.
The team will continue to play out of the Gold Coast, but may also take several games a season to the Bears' home base on the NSW Central Coast as well as a game at North Sydney Oval.
Even though things seem to have gone quiet in the past three months, I am hearing that things are progressing.
The Gold Coast Bears, should they get the green light, are likely to play to their matches on the Gold Coast. But they are looking at getting NRL clubs to play a number of "home" matches on the Central Coast and North Sydney Oval.

I'd imagine any public information about this would come out after the Titans last game, be it R26 or after that GF.

If Norths are being this and what I've read, they are, then that GC Bears would have two premierships already

Perth Red

Post Whore
GC Parasite Bears? Latch on to Gosford as a hope of return then latch onto GC when Gosford looks unlikely. Bet the Titans fans are wetting themselves at the prospect of supporting a Sydney club lol.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Some news regarding the Gold Coast Bears from Rugby League Review June 2016 issue Page 10 The Detective column:
Earlier this season there were reports that the North Sydney Bears were looking at taking over the licence of the Gold Coast Titans and re-brand them the Gold Coast Bears and play in the red and black jerseys.
The team will continue to play out of the Gold Coast, but may also take several games a season to the Bears' home base on the NSW Central Coast as well as a game at North Sydney Oval.
Even though things seem to have gone quiet in the past three months, I am hearing that things are progressing.
The Gold Coast Bears, should they get the green light, are likely to play to their matches on the Gold Coast. But they are looking at getting NRL clubs to play a number of "home" matches on the Central Coast and North Sydney Oval.

I take all of this gossip with a massive grain of salt, but....

If this does happen, the ARLC need to mandate a minimum number of games on the GC every year. I dont want to see the Bears gradually move 2, then 4 then 8 then 11 to the CC.

I definitely think the Titans need to sort out their shit when it comes to branding, but in not sure the best option is to ditch 10 years of work and planting a 20-years-dead Sydney club....

The Great Dane

First Grade
I take all of this gossip with a massive grain of salt, but....

If this does happen, the ARLC need to mandate a minimum number of games on the GC every year. I dont want to see the Bears gradually move 2, then 4 then 8 then 11 to the CC.

I definitely think the Titans need to sort out their shit when it comes to branding, but in not sure the best option is to ditch 10 years of work and planting a 20-years-dead Sydney club....

They should mandate that all 12 home games must be played on the GC.

However if they can convince some of the Sydney clubs to move their games to Gosford or NS then who cares.

Tigers1986

Juniors
The 4000 Titans fans would be so displaced from losing a few games a year. They'd fill North Sydney Oval and Central Coast Stadium. 1 a year at the old boutique ground would be amazing, especially if it were against the silvertail scumbags.

I'd love for it to happen because they're never going to expand with the Bears in mind. Perth, NZ & Brisbane the front runners.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
The bears @ Gosford would be positive step for crowds anyway, the current 16 clubs with a few exceptions couldn't give away tickets at the moment

flippikat

Bench
The 4000 Titans fans would be so displaced from losing a few games a year. They'd fill North Sydney Oval and Central Coast Stadium. 1 a year at the old boutique ground would be amazing, especially if it were against the silvertail scumbags.

I'd love for it to happen because they're never going to expand with the Bears in mind. Perth, NZ & Brisbane the front runners.

That's why the "Gold Coast Bears" idea has some merit - it restores an established brand, in an existing location.

Plus if they forgo the Central Coast, it leaves that area as a potential relocation destination for another Sydney club (eg Roosters or Tigers or some of Manly's home games ala St George-Illawarra) if they fail to meet NRL targets as a Sydney-based club.

Gold Coast Bears, Roosters to Gosford (or at least a few Roosters games there every year), add Brisbane 2 & Perth, and have regular games (guaranteed 2-3 per season) in Adelaide and regional NZ - gearing up for Adelaide & NZ 2 - whether that's new teams or relocations - would be my approach.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
My father was a Bears fan and I would love to see them back in the comp at the Central Coast. However for mine the Gold Coast is wrong for everyone involved. The Gold Coast has had some rough years however know they are starting to become competitive again. Ditching the Titan brand will help no one and kill of interest in the Gold Coast club as they see some of there games taken to Central Coast/North Sydney. The Titans are the Gold Coast's team. The Bears are a North Sydney/CentralCoast team. Either bring the Bears back on the Central Coast or not at all.

T-Boon

Coach
I'd support the idea of the Brisbane Bears (did that name already exist in some AFL team).

alien

Referee
Either bring the Bears back on the Central Coast or not at all.

what are the chances the nrl would add another nsw club though. i think they would have more of a chance coming back as an outside of nsw club. maybe adelaide is their best chance, and north sydney bears can stay in the nsw cup as their reserve grade team. adelaide bears could always play 1 home game at north sydney oval per year (heritage round)

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
While i hate the Titans current brand, i would much prefer they stuck with the general image they have now and just refined some of the shittier aspects.

The only reason i would have any support for the GC Bears is that it would give them an established logo/jersey they couldnt f*ck around with too badly.

But whether the GC locals would take to the Bears brand is the main issue here. We all know how proud QLD RL fans are, im not sure throwing them the scraps of NSWRL would go down well. Really it just proves the NRL is Sydney-centric.

(Maybe if they attached themselves to the Burleigh Bears and called it a merge)

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
I really like the idea of a Adelaide or Perth using the Bears logo and colours. However I don't want to see any current team rebranded. Thats not fair on the fans who have supported them from the start and will make the Gold Coast seem like another NSW club which the QLD fans will hate.

T-Boon

Coach
While i hate the Titans current brand, i would much prefer they stuck with the general image they have now and just refined some of the shittier aspects.

The only reason i would have any support for the GC Bears is that it would give them an established logo/jersey they couldnt f*ck around with too badly.

But whether the GC locals would take to the Bears brand is the main issue here. We all know how proud QLD RL fans are, im not sure throwing them the scraps of NSWRL would go down well. Really it just proves the NRL is Sydney-centric.

(Maybe if they attached themselves to the Burleigh Bears and called it a merge)

The Gold Coast got it wrong from the start as the jersey and colours were totally wrong. You've got to pick a jersey design and colours that are immediately identifiable as the clubs (like black and red). Even a pure white jersey would have been a better design than the colours they came up with.

On the Bears, they should actually go and locate themselves at the place they want to represent. Like if they one day want to be the GC Bears then go up there and play there.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
How Max Donnelly stopped Parramatta Eels merging with North Sydney Bears

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-with-north-sydney-bears-20160723-gqc9p6.html

Interim Eels boss Max Donnelly could well be presiding over the Parramatta Bears had he not blocked a push to merge the Eels with foundation club North Sydney.

Donnelly was the voluntary administrator of the North Sydney Rugby League Club when financial difficulties forced it out of the NRL competition at the end of 1999. The Bears, desperate to remain in the top grade, looked at suitable merger partners and considered Newcastle before ultimately entering into the ill-fated venture with Manly that produced the Northern Eagles.

However, before getting in bed with the Sea Eagles, the Bears considered overtures from Parramatta about forming an alliance. Long-time Eels chief executive Denis Fitzgerald, the self-proclaimed "Emperor of Parramatta", put a proposal to Norths powerbrokers that could well have changed the course of rugby league history.

However, Donnelly would have none of it.

"Denis Fitzgerald was only interested in a takeover, not a merger, at the time," Donnelly told Fairfax Media.

"Parramatta were a financially very powerful club and they didn't need a merger, they may have had one if they could gain something out of it. I guess that's what Denis Fitzgerald was after at the time.

"The Bears' boundaries were [with] Parramatta because they stretched right up to the north shore, up at Waitara, and that linked onto the back of Parramatta's territory. The Bears' natural merger partner was either Parramatta or Manly or Newcastle, although Newcastle were never really interested.

"From memory, Parramatta wouldn't agree to even one game at the Central Coast or North Sydney Oval. It was a complete takeover – they said 'we'll take over, take your players, take on your liabilities, but we won't compromise a game or do anything'.

"It wasn't like I was in a great bargaining position – I had an insolvent club, as opposed to Parramatta. So the only place I could merge with was Manly and the league gave us $9 million. That fixed Manly's problems, Norths' creditors got paid and the Northern Eagles got some funding to start with and the clubs could fund it 50-50."

While the Northern Eagles were wound up in 2002, Donnelly has the utmost confidence in Parramatta's long-term future. Its leagues club is trading strongly, he has appointed leagues club chief executive Bevan Paul as the interim boss of the football club – "we've agreed to 30 days but that may end up being 60" – and the search is underway for a new Eels board, chief executive and football manager.

Donnelly will oversee the transition after being appointed temporary administrator of the leagues club and, subsequently, the chairman of the football club. He has been impressed with the ability of Brad Arthur to insulate his team from the seemingly endless crises plaguing the Eels and indicated he was keen to retain the coach beyond his current contract, which expires in 2017.

"My personal view – and he is contracted until next year – is that you'd want to leave him on," Donnelly said.

"Maybe that's something I should be leaving to the new CEO and the board. But having said that, I can't defer things that need to be done. We have a playing roster that goes up and goes down, so you've got to keep trading like normal.

"I think the coach has done an amazing job. I've only met him this week. Before I'd met him, just as an observer of rugby league, he seemed to be doing an amazing job.

"You look at what happened at Cronulla. It was a totally different problem, but it was still a club-based problem and they ended up with the spoon."

On Tuesday, at the invitation of Arthur, Donnelly will address the players for the first time. Asked what message he will deliver, the veteran executive said: "I can imagine I'd introduce myself, tell them about the changes to the board, tell them nothing changes.

"There might be less people in the dressing room. Just do what your contract says and the line of communication doesn't change, it's just a different board. It shouldn't affect the players at all.

"Somehow, [countless scandals] don't seem to have affected the players in terms of performance. When they go out on the field, I don't think they're thinking about the board. I hope they're not."

Is this really something to brag about?? Sure Fitz wanted a takeover, but wasnt he also looking for a more marketable name that "Eels"...

Rather that have the Bears running around a few kms down the road, he put together a deal where they merged with their biggest enemies and died off completely 3 years later.

Great job dude...

Perth Red

Post Whore
Titans potential is there to see. They just need some decent management and investment. They are a long way from being the worse club in the NRL!

If the Bears had jumped into bed with the WARL back in 2008 the West Coast Bears may be a reality now. The way I have heard it told the push for an expansion into perth was being seriously looked at for 2013 but there was concerns over A) the WARL's ability/scope to run an NRL club and B) the NRL financial commitment if things went tits up.

A joint Bears/WARL bid might have given the NRL more confidence. I don't blame them for wanting to be a CC based club though, it makes sense but they are victims of too many current failing NSW clubs and the NRL's lack of balls to do something about it.