What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

papabear

Juniors
IMO the perth bears would be a massive success.

Though going back to a bye round each round sucks balls.

Marlins

Juniors
Has there been any more noise about the Bears bid for the GC?
Can't see it happening now that the Titans have success on & off the field. I honestly don't think the Bears will ever comeback unless one the Sydney teams leaves the compition.

paulmac

Juniors
Titans potential is there to see. They just need some decent management and investment. They are a long way from being the worse club in the NRL!

If the Bears had jumped into bed with the WARL back in 2008 the West Coast Bears may be a reality now. The way I have heard it told the push for an expansion into perth was being seriously looked at for 2013 but there was concerns over A) the WARL's ability/scope to run an NRL club and B) the NRL financial commitment if things went tits up.

A joint Bears/WARL bid might have given the NRL more confidence. I don't blame them for wanting to be a CC based club though, it makes sense but they are victims of too many current failing NSW clubs and the NRL's lack of balls to do something about it.
West Coast Bears would be a perfect bid.New audience,tradition,new timeslot etc.They could use the Reds jersey from their last season as it was predominantly red & black.

paulmac

Juniors
We'll maybe not the exact jersey but at least there could be a justification for using red and black as the colours.Also the Perth Wildcats use those colours could possibly form links there.

Marlins

Juniors
Is still prefer the WC pirates but as stands there won't be any expansion anytime soon. Also instead of adding more nsw teams I think they should probably drop to Nswrl cup or relocate a couple. Honstely can't ever see the Bears back in the top Comp unless a relegation system is in place.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I don't think the Bulldogs are ever going to relocate. They've got the best average attendance in Sydney over the last few years.

Yeh, of the Sydney teams likely to move, the Bogs are in the same catagory as Eels and Panthers (when hell freezes over and pokes stop paying out)...

If the ARLC got serious about proper distrbution, the teams "likely" (i use likely very loosely) would be:

- Tigers: theyd be the easiest for the NRL to give a push.
- Sharks: sure they sold their properties but (iirc) that gave them a one-off payent, not a regular income, so theyll burn through that in 10 years...
- Dragons: Though if they ever leave Sydney, Wollongong is the obvious alternative.
- Sea Eagles: ive always wondered how they would cope if the Penns got tired of losing money (though Gosford seems their logical next step)

The rest i dont see being forced into it (though if they got a great offer, i would see them jumping on it; Souths went from Sfs to ANZ for a better deal)

Perth Red

Post Whore
How do roosters get their money? Do they have a load of pokies? Certainly isnt from crowd revenue

Marlins

Juniors
Western Tigers (Perth)
Canterbury Bulldogs (Christchurch)
I was only throwing around ideas.
With the dogs though arnt they one of the most supported clubs in the NRL with there supporters spread it out through Australia. I don't think a relocation of sorts to Christchurch would be that bad of an idea. They could still be run through there current location and still have the juniors and all that but play majority of there games from Christchurch. They would still play all the Sydney teams in away games & maybe a trial game & a couple of home games at belmore. They could still keep the name Canterbury Bulldogs. When reading why crowds arn't big in Sydney one of the most common reasons is there are too many teams & games in the Sydney area. This could help by not playing so many games in Sydney, bring NRL to a new region and hopefully not piss too many dogs fans off. Just a thought.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Better would be for th to play 4-6 games in Christchurch and build it as a second home. Get best of both worlds. Two home games, one against warriors, and 2-4 away games against Sydney teams played there. Still get 10 home games 1 at belmore, 9 at new western Sydney stadium)

taipan

Referee
Yeh, of the Sydney teams likely to move, the Bogs are in the same catagory as Eels and Panthers (when hell freezes over and pokes stop paying out)...

If the ARLC got serious about proper distrbution, the teams "likely" (i use likely very loosely) would be:

- Tigers: theyd be the easiest for the NRL to give a push.
- Sharks: sure they sold their properties but (iirc) that gave them a one-off payent, not a regular income, so theyll burn through that in 10 years...
- Dragons: Though if they ever leave Sydney, Wollongong is the obvious alternative.
- Sea Eagles: ive always wondered how they would cope if the Penns got tired of losing money (though Gosford seems their logical next step)

The rest i dont see being forced into it (though if they got a great offer, i would see them jumping on it; Souths went from Sfs to ANZ for a better deal)

Mate the Sharks will be getting min $1m pa rental on the retail side of their development,based on a 99 year lease to the various businesses.That is in addition to the large sum of monies made on the residential development .They will be in the top 3/4 financially solid clubs in the NRL,according to the former Bronc's CEO Bruno Cullen.
The licensed club will generate heaps more monies with 700 units next door and a completely refurbished club and restaurants.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Mate the Sharks will be getting min $1m pa rental on the retail side of their development,based on a 99 year lease to the various businesses.That is in addition to the large sum of monies made on the residential development .They will be in the top 3/4 financially solid clubs in the NRL,according to the former Bronc's CEO Bruno Cullen.
The licensed club will generate heaps more monies with 700 units next door and a completely refurbished club and restaurants.

Happy to be corrected, but i was under the impression they sold everything...

And anyway, if this has made them so much money, why not sell the land Shark Park is on and head up to SFS?

You could be the biggest club in Sydney.

Marlins

Juniors
Happy to be corrected, but i was under the impression they sold everything...

And anyway, if this has made them so much money, why not sell the land Shark Park is on and head up to SFS?

You could be the biggest club in Sydney.
There fan base is at the shire.

jim_57

Staff member
I like the model of teams "adopting" places that are unlikely to ever get their own team or not for a long while. Playing a few of their home games there and trying to talk other clubs in to playing their home game against them there if it's likely to draw better crowds. A few we could aim for:

Roosters - 4-6 Games Central Coast (4 home, 2 "away")
Eels - 2-3 Games in Darwin
Tigers/Manly/Sharks/Anyone - 2-4 Games in Adelaide
Bulldogs - 4-6 Games in Christchurch
Anyone - 1-2 Games in PNG
Cowboys - 2-3 Games in Cairns (1 Home, 1-2 "away")
Storm - 1-2 Games in Hobart

Hell, maybe even think International if the money is there, South Africa or Japan spring to mind. Would love to see a club make a link with South Africa to play an annual NRL game there and create a pathway for promising players to trial with them.

If the same teams are a constant in all NRL fixtures played there and maybe even set up links with the area they are bound to win some goodwill and new fans.

Last edited:

flippikat

First Grade
I like the model of teams "adopting" places that are unlikely to ever get their own team or not for a long while. Playing a few of their home games there and trying to talk other clubs in to playing their home game against them there if it's likely to draw better crowds.

Spot on.

Ideally the NRL & clubs would work together to identify emerging markets for 'adopted' home games, and set up the business model for this to succeed.

It's really the simplest way for the NRL to have a presence in new markets - especially those with little rugby league background. It beats me why we don't have a game or 2 (at least) per season in Adelaide for instance - just to build the code's profile.

Latest posts