What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears NRL Bid.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Do the Bears have any money?

Their leagues clubs are rolling in it, have been since the early 90's.

Maybe not as rich as Penrith, Wests Ashfield, etc, but they have more then enough to buy one of the NRL clubs for sale if they really want to.

The real question isn't whether they can afford it, it's whether their proposal supports RL on the GC or is just a veiled way to get into the NRL by any means necessary.
Even if after they have bought the Titans they are still playing the majority of their games on the GC it's not in RLs' interest if they are taking the majority of the funding, resources and support that the Titans put into local RL on the GC away to NS and the CC, and of course there's the possibility that they intend to slowly move the majority of their games away from the GC and into NS and the CC.

alien

Referee
i'd like to see the bears come back in as "northern bears", with their junior districts being the north sydney area and the central coast area, with them playing all their home games at gosford stadium, except for heritage round where they would play at north sydney oval. they should bring in a second brisbane side at the same time to make it an 18 team comp, but keeping the top 8 finals system

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
i'd like to see the bears come back in as "northern bears", with their junior districts being the north sydney area and the central coast area, with them playing all their home games at gosford stadium, except for heritage round where they would play at north sydney oval. they should bring in a second brisbane side at the same time to make it an 18 team comp, but keeping the top 8 finals system

Might bring back too many bad memories or the Northern Eagles.....

Their leagues clubs are rolling in it, have been since the early 90's.

Maybe not as rich as Penrith, Wests Ashfield, etc, but they have more then enough to buy one of the NRL clubs for sale if they really want to.

The real question isn't whether they can afford it, it's whether their proposal supports RL on the GC or is just a veiled way to get into the NRL by any means necessary.
Even if after they have bought the Titans they are still playing the majority of their games on the GC it's not in RLs' interest if they are taking the majority of the funding, resources and support that the Titans put into local RL on the GC away to NS and the CC, and of course there's the possibility that they intend to slowly move the majority of their games away from the GC and into NS and the CC.

I dont know much about the Bears recent history.

If they are so flushed with cash, why did they default on the Northern Eagles??

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh because another NSW and Qland team is going to help expansion of the game lol.

At the moment the leagues club is only putting in less than $800k a year into RL. How much more does it have that it could invest in an NRL club and why aren't they spending more on local RL if they have a lot more money? I know you should take profit and loss with a pinch of salt but on a $40mill revenue their profit margin was only $700k in their last annual report. They are certainly asset rich but are they cash rich enough to significantly invest in the ongoing costs of an NRL team?

http://www.northsydneybears.com.au/...s-bearsden-nsbw/nsb-2014-financial-report.pdf

https://issuu.com/norths/docs/norths_annualreport_2014_web

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Anyone else worried the nrl will look the same in 10 years time? With no direction or strategy for the future of the competition these bids are going to start dropping off. As it is the gold Coast/bears thing smells like a last throw of the dice.

Why are the likes of cronulla and manly deserving of a place in the national competition ahead of central coast, ipswich, or redcliffe all of which represent similar sized or larger communities. The only reason is a hangover from the transition from the NSWRL to the NRL and the fact the current clubs merely survived the purge at the expense of the games footprint.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not worried, I'm convinced! No leadership with vision, pssing away the massive revenue increase and no groundwork being done or planned to get anywhere ready for the next tv deal in 2023, bailing out failing clubs in the hope they will come good, a nswrl mentality still. No hope.

alien

Referee
Why are the likes of cronulla and manly deserving of a place in the national competition ahead of central coast, ipswich, or redcliffe all of which represent similar sized or larger communities. The only reason is a hangover from the transition from the NSWRL to the NRL and the fact the current clubs merely survived the purge at the expense of the games footprint.

you could add the roosters as a sydney club with a small junior district too

perth roosters sounds good

taipan

Referee
I'm not worried, I'm convinced! No leadership with vision, pssing away the massive revenue increase and no groundwork being done or planned to get anywhere ready for the next tv deal in 2023, bailing out failing clubs in the hope they will come good, a nswrl mentality still. No hope.

Um the bailed out clubs are now for sale or part sale.The Dragons have been part sold to Win TVs Gordon and will repay money owed to the NRL..Wests have taken over 25% more of the Wests Tigers giving that money to the NRL.The Tigers still owe the NRL about $2.7m
The Knights are up for sale for a reputed figure up to $20m,and the Titans will follow.

You need to keep up to speed.

None of us know what is planned for the future,once they clear the clubs of debts owed.
You can have all the vision in the world,but if there is not the money available ,it's all BS.
$100m according to Grant will be allocated to grassroots pa from 2018.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
you could add the roosters as a sydney club with a small junior district too

perth roosters sounds good

Fiar enough. My point is all of the sydney clubs are not any more deserving of nrl footy than other major areas currently without

T-Boon

Coach
Adelaide Sharks (or Southern Sharks)
Wellington Roosters
Perth Panthers
Brisbane Sea Eagles

flippikat

First Grade
Adelaide Sharks (or Southern Sharks)
Wellington Roosters
Perth Panthers
Brisbane Sea Eagles

Adelaide Sharks is a cool idea if we're looking at dots on the map, but the Sharks are doing pretty well as they are at the moment & Adelaide needs groundwork - especially some games moved there- to build a following for NRL. Much how Perth has had NRL games in recent seasons.

Dunno about Roosters to Wellington. They seem to be putting some effort into cultivating the Central Coast into their "home away from home". Will be interesting to see where they go with that if this current form slump turns into a long dry spell & spills over to their finances.

Perth Panthers sounds interesting. Would hand that district to Parra, though - and make a superclub that other Sydney clubs might be a little jealous of.

Brisbane Sea Eagles won't happen. The NRL establishment won't want to leave Sydney with no teams north of the bridge.

While we are at it...
How about we just merge all 16 clubs and call it the universal intercontinental australasian super friends

cozemail

Juniors
Some news regarding the Gold Coast Bears from Rugby League Review June 2016 issue Page 10 The Detective column:
Earlier this season there were reports that the North Sydney Bears were looking at taking over the licence of the Gold Coast Titans and re-brand them the Gold Coast Bears and play in the red and black jerseys.
The team will continue to play out of the Gold Coast, but may also take several games a season to the Bears' home base on the NSW Central Coast as well as a game at North Sydney Oval.
Even though things seem to have gone quiet in the past three months, I am hearing that things are progressing.
The Gold Coast Bears, should they get the green light, are likely to play to their matches on the Gold Coast. But they are looking at getting NRL clubs to play a number of "home" matches on the Central Coast and North Sydney Oval.

For mine, a Gold Coast Bears outfit need to play all their 12 games at home on the Gold Coast.

But if they can wrangle 4-6 Sydney clubs to play a 'home' game on the CC, even better.

I reckon they should also go with a red black and yellow/gold strip. Predominantly black and red but with a a fine gold/yellow hoop.

Latest posts