What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchpng

Juniors
If we wanted to increase 'spots' for TV Ratings we need to look at Perth and then another major city - possible NZ...

I just think outside of Perth, there isn't much future for expansion at the moment that is viable to the NRL. CC should really have relocated side to spread out the congestion in Sydney.

PNG is the best contender on a media rights level. The pacific island region will all support this. Have no idea what CC or CQ can offer in relation to tv rights

Perth Red

Post Whore
the thinking is long term, ie over the next couple of decades. New markets are always being looked for in any business, sometimes they take a long time to bare fruit and other times they fail but are worth the risk. I'm sure the Bears will be in as there are no other serious bids but if they are the best option for a long term use of license remains to be seen.

Where I do envy AFL is they do have a vision and a committment, again wether it is a massive folly or a masterstroke that will see them the number one code in years to come only time will tell.

Joker's Wild

Coach
mitchpng said:
PNG is the best contender on a media rights level. The pacific island region will all support this. Have no idea what CC or CQ can offer in relation to tv rights

PNG for all intents and purposes is still a 3rd world country.

You really think putting a team there will increase Foxtel/Austar subscriptions? Because this is really what we are talking about when it comes to TV money

dimitri

First Grade
To the Central Coast Bears naysayers digest some of this below.. Who on the coast doesn't want us? How many other bids have done what these photo's show? Yes in this instance a picture truly is worth a million words.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=4267488&id=72707929443

Photo of a Central Coast BEARS bid billboard ad located near @ Laycock St Theater, North Sydney.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=4266915&id=72707929443
Click on people's faces in the photo to tag them.

The gang out & about in Terrigal for the Bears membership drive.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=4266913&id=72707929443

The lovely Ros and a couple of the youngsters at Erina Fair on Saturday for the Bears membership drive

and some more

Its a shame there werent that many bears jerseys at all at the sharks v bulldogs game

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think there will always be a doubt about how many people actually living on teh CC will go along to support the CC Bears. I guess the NRL benchmark for crowds is pretty low anyway but the question remains do we need another NSW club drawing 13-16,000?

Having said that I have massive admiration for the Nth Sydney Bears bid team and how they have gone about their business. I also cannot fault teh Nth Sydney Bears fans who want to see their club back in the NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its a shame there werent that many bears jerseys at all at the sharks v bulldogs game

It was good to see a fair smattering of WA reds gear amongst all the Sth Sydney apparel in perth, even if it was beanies and scarves given how frickin cold it was!

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
So in other words half of that 'crowd' (and I dare say more than half) are just North Sydney Supporters looking to get their Bears back in.. I found it funny to see one of the signs ending in 'YDNEY'... Pretty sure that is North Sydney...

I would love the Bears to come back - I really would. However, realistically if the goal is prop up the TV Rights and amount of sponsorship in the game, the Central Coast only really offers an extra TV game and minor sponsorship - where new markets offer an extra game and extra sponsorship through the tv rights.

To be honest, I'd be happy to see CC Bears and WA Reds enter the comp - but I don't think it is the move that will bring the most to the NRL.

Mate considering we have 2000 paid members and have had 2 rallies thus far with a couple thousand people showing. 3 years before the team is due to come in through expansion, in an area which has no team. 15, 000+ facebook members and average crowds of 13, 000+ again in an area with no official team. That's pretty damn good.

Considering it's a new BEARS team, not the North Sydney but a Central Coast identity. As far as funds go we'll be right.

The BEARS after all were the 2nd most watched team in Rugby League in Australia during the 90's even after all the lean years without a premiership.

Considering we are trying to create a new culture, a new brand with the BEARS insignia.

I think we have done pretty damn good and shame on everything bagging us and our hard work. We will give the NRL a deal they can't refuse. We will prop and generate revenue for the game itself and the area of Central Coast, NSW.

We will have loyal supporters locally and abroad. We will represent the CC, NRL, the BEARS and Rugby League in general. We will embrace everyone that embraces us and have a business and sport team which everyone can be proud of.

The BEARS will make ends meet. We won't suffer from internal problems and will over come all external hurdles put in front of us.

The mighty Central Coast BEARS RLFC, in red & black, home ground BlueTounge Stadium, located @ Gosford, Central Coast, NSW. A team for locals and a team for everyone.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
I laugh at these people that say the Central Coast team should not be called the Bears and have their own separate identity. Having the North Sydney element with Red & Black and called the Bears makes the Central Coast bid so much stronger.

Central Coast on it's own would not last and be another Illawarra Steelers as they won't have enough corporate support for a stand-alone team. The North Sydney side of things provides this. And never mind that it was the Bears that tipped in the cash to build that stadium in Gosford!

The Bears and Red & Black colours is a very strong brand - EVERYONE on the North Shore of Sydney identifies with it. If the team were called something else the North Shore corporates would not back it. And not to mention the large and wealthy North Shore population would not back it. 99% of Central Coast people will support any Central Coast team whether it be the Bears or not - but that's not enough, we need the North Sydney side of things to be on board so the club is stronger overall.

The North Sydney area is the wealthiest part of Sydney and has a large CBD with heaps of corporate types.

The team will be called 'Central Coast' and be based on the Central Coast and most of the juniors will come from the Central Coast. The colours and logo will be North Sydney's Bear and red & black. 10 home games in Gosford and 2 at North Sydney Oval. North Shore geographically is the closest area and wealthiest part of Sydney to the Central Coast. It's a perfect fit.

And I also laugh at the WA Reda and Gosford/Bears fans sniping away and who's got the best crowds. News flash people: it doesn't matter - the NRL will be admitting 2 teams not one as they need an even number for an extra game. The NRL doesn't want 17 teams it wants 18. Both teams should be admitted in 2013 and everyone can live happily ever after.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
10 home games in Gosford and 2 at North Sydney Oval. North Shore geographically is the closest area and wealthiest part of Sydney to the Central Coast. It's a perfect fit.

11 Gosford 1 North Sydney actually.

And Northern Beaches is geographically closer - North Shore is closer by all transport methods not involving a ferry.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
11 Gosford 1 North Sydney actually.

And Northern Beaches is geographically closer - North Shore is closer by all transport methods not involving a ferry.

I thought the North Shore region connected to the Central Coast region?
What is in between ?

Loudstrat

Coach
I think there will always be a doubt about how many people actually living on teh CC will go along to support the CC Bears. I guess the NRL benchmark for crowds is pretty low anyway but the question remains do we need another NSW club drawing 13-16,000?

Well, yes. Why not?

Face it - Pay TV has saturation all over Australia, and there are no more sets that will be turned on in Perth than there will in Gosford, Rockhampton or anywhere else if an NRL side came in. And any teams that will get 13-16k would be welcome, given that Melbourne still struggle to get that.

Put it this way (sensible people only not Sydney decimators) which current NSW club jagging 13-16k could we do without? Newcastle? Wests? Saints? Manly (although tempting)? Answer = none.

Brutus

Referee
Well, yes. Why not?

Face it - Pay TV has saturation all over Australia, and there are no more sets that will be turned on in Perth than there will in Gosford, Rockhampton or anywhere else if an NRL side came in.

Thing is, those sets in Gosford are already being turned on for RL. The ones in Perth aren't to a large degree.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
I challenge anybody to name a successful company so stupid enough that they won't put a franchise or place of business where they have nearly 1000000 potential customers that already love or have an affinity to the product?

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
I say yes to a CC BEARS team. But only if a Sydney team merges or relocates.
Where would they relocate to given that the Bears would be on the central coast????

Thing is, those sets in Gosford are already being turned on for RL. The ones in Perth aren't to a large degree.

And the Swans/Lions/Tahs/Reds/Farce/Brumbies/A League experience shows that they probably wont.

That's the thing - TV gets excited only because it gets an extra program, or in Pay TV's case allows it to sell it's product strongly in a new market. Of all the sports available in Sydney, only cricket and League make a FTA impact on prime time. Grand Slam tennis is invariably on later hours, Swimming is spasmodic if 9 remembers the ratings it can get, and Union (apart from Wallaby tests at home), AFL, Soccer, Motor sports (from touring cars to grand prix), and many other sports do not get a look in on FTA.

We should not look at TV beyond what it can give us for an extra game each week.

smithie

Juniors
I challenge anybody to name a successful company so stupid enough that they won't put a franchise or place of business where they have nearly 1000000 potential customers that already love or have an affinity to the product?

The AFL. Choosing GWS over Tasmania.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts