What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixgill

Juniors
League NEEDS a feel good story ASAP. After all the bad headlines over the last few months, something needs to happen.

I could care less if their entry means the end of the Cronulla Sharks...

You know, I was actually considering a membership for the Bears to help them out, even though I support the Sharks. What happened to them was unfortunate and I miss the black and red in the comp.

But you lost me right there with that comment.

I would never advocate removing another team from the NRL and I think you are doing a massive inservice to the Bears by negative comments like that, which is unfortunate, because the majority of your postings are passionate and positive.

All team supporters marched for the reinstatement of the Bunnies. Be careful isolating people like me who may have actually become an associated support base for you.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Great work by the Bears and lets hope we see the CC Bears and WA Reds in the NRL by 2013.

I don't want to see any teams go by the way side and play NSW Cup only e.g Sharks.

One idea is for some clubs to have a defacto relation with other areas if this will promote them cost wise. The game is not the same without the Bears/Jets/Balmain/Magpies no more teams to be booted - only more teams in

2013 CC Bears and WA, 2018 PNG and CQLD.

e.g. Manly and PNG/SUNSHINE COAST - Cronulla/Adelaide/Darwin play three to four games.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Centr...ef=ts#!/pages/Central-Coast-Bears/72707929443
Here is a question asked by Michael to David Gallop and Gallop's response.

Michael Hanley: I was lost to the game of rugby league for about seven years after the Bears were kicked out. We've got 15,000 members on Facebook supporting our cause. Why can't we fast track the club's return?

David Gallop: In about 12 months time, when we have a TV ... See Morerights deal done, and know how much money we have in the game, we will look seriously at expansion. Expansion has to be sustainable and it has to add something to the entire competition. There's no doubt that one of the most bitter pills of the mid-90s was the loss of the Bears. I am in frequent contact with Greg Florimo, I'm encouraging them with what they're doing but short of promising that come 2011, they'll definitely be included. I was in Perth last week and I believe they've also got a lot going for them. Booming economy, they're going to have a stadium soon, they're a live timeslot opportunity for us. If the game can afford it, the game will be thinking 18 teams.

Michael Hanley here, fresh from the NRL Fan Commission meeting with NRL CEO David Gallop, Chief Operating Officer Graham Annesley and Director of Media & Communication John Brady @ NRL headquarters.
Opportunities like the one I received today do not come up very often, and it certainly did not disappoint. The meeting... went for an hour and a half, where I and 5 other NRL fans were able to put forward our ideas for the future of the NRL competition. We were all given plenty of time to put our ideas and concerns across, and I felt that the NRL team (especially David Gallop) were very open, honest and forth coming with their responses and questions to us. Some of the topics discussed this afternoon were: Expansion (specifically The Central Coast Bears bid), the Salary Cap (including concession rules), when to play State of Origin (stand alone match on weekend or stay with Wednesday night with byes), Test Match Rugby League, Independent Commission, Video Ref, McIntyre System, clarification and simplification of rules and “Is the season too long?”.

I assume the majority of people (at least on this page) are mostly interested in what was said about the Central Coast Bears bid.

Expansion of the NRL into new areas with new teams probably got the most discussion time today, and with me sitting there in my Central Coast Bears Jersey, David Gallop and his team knew it was going to be my main topic of discussion. I basically put forward our main argument points for admission into the NRL, which I knew David Gallop was already aware of, but this was face to face from a fans point of view. He responded with answers and statements we have all read before, and like some of the more recent statements in the press, he made it pretty clear that he would like to see a team on the Central Coast and have The Bears back in the NRL.

However he and Graham Annesley made it very clear that it is not that simple. The 2 main things they are looking for (and I know I have heard Greg Florimo mention this in interviews) are that they want to see a strong and sustainable financial plan, and for any new team to be admitted into the NRL they would need to add something to the competition. They listened to everything I had to say, and I made sure they knew that what I was saying was not just coming from one person. The most encouraging thing that came from this discussion was when David Gallop said to me “Central Coast Bears fan can be cautiously optimistic”.

As I said at the start of this report, today was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I hope I have helped the progress of the Central Coast Bears bid, even just a little bit.

Go You Bears!

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
icon1.gif

447526-fans-commission.jpg

Ideas...NRL boss David Gallop with (clockwise) Ross Martin, John Fenech, Michael Hanley, Brent Adams, Andrew Jackson and Jason Abraham. Picture: Mark Evans Source: The Daily Telegraph

THE NRL's ironmen could be rewarded under a proposal to give clubs salary cap concessions for players when they reach milestones as early as 50 and 100 games.

NRL CEO David Gallop admitted he was considering the plan yesterday at a meeting with a six-man Independent Fans Commission, chosen from thousands of readers of The Daily Telegraph.

Under the proposal discussed yesterday, clubs could potentially receive salary cap concessions for durable players after two seasons in the NRL instead of the current eight-year starting point.

This would add great value to a player like Cronulla's Luke Douglas, who played 100 consecutive games after his debut.

See link to left to read what the fans had to say to NRL boss David Gallop
Gallop said that rewarding milestones had merit.

"It's something we have been looking at for players at [50 games], then 100, 150, 200, etc," he said. "We have been looking at that."

The NRL is also examining a sliding rule of salary cap concessions that starts at six years' service through to 10.

Clubs are currently given a $100,000 concession for players with eight years' service. This could be tweaked to $100,000 for six years and a further $100,000 for eight years' service.

As Gallop and NRL chief operating officer Graham Annesley discovered yesterday via the six-man NRL supporters delegation, player retention and player loyalty are

key concerns for fans. They are adamant they want more one-club players.

The 50/100-game proposal, from passionate Wests Tigers fan Jason Abraham, of Casula, was among dozens of ideas presented to Gallop and Annesley.

Others include:

OVERHAULING the representative calendar to start with City-Country, State of Origin and Test football;

EXPANSION to the Central Coast, Perth and Papua New Guinea;

STAND-alone weeks for State of Origin;

A TWO-tiered salary cap - one for two marquee players and the other for the remaining 23;

CAP exemptions for marquee players;

LIFTING the Toyota Cup age limit from 20 to 22; and

INCREASING representative payments to keep stars in the code.

Gallop and Annesley yesterday spent two hours with the Telegraph's Independent Fans Commission and won praise from lifelong Bears fan Brent Adams, of Wamberal.

"It was great just to get the opportunity that not many people would get to express their views on the game," Adams said.
"We've all got ideas how to improve the game."​

eagles4eva

Coach
LIFTING the Toyota Cup age limit from 20 to 22;

This is a great idea, keeping more young players, more development time...

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Let'straighht about this.

In 2004, the CC Bears had a fabulous stadium, backing etc including John Singleton who would have brought Gerry Harvey, Qantas etc on board and delivered rugby league a new powerhouse team.

Instead, Gallop went for the Dolphins - Titans - who had no stadium and, as we now see, big questions about their financial stability.

Gallop is saying now exactly what he said 6 years ago - all bullsh*t. What's your financial position etc etc?

f**k him. He is a News Limited lackey who is there to promote News Limited's interests. He was the one who organised the last rubbish TV deal - why will the new one be any different?

mightybears

Bench
You know, I was actually considering a membership for the Bears to help them out, even though I support the Sharks. What happened to them was unfortunate and I miss the black and red in the comp.

But you lost me right there with that comment.

I would never advocate removing another team from the NRL and I think you are doing a massive inservice to the Bears by negative comments like that, which is unfortunate, because the majority of your postings are passionate and positive.

All team supporters marched for the reinstatement of the Bunnies. Be careful isolating people like me who may have actually become an associated support base for you.

Sixgill,

the debate has been run a number of times on Dave's mightybears.com, but in summary the vast majority of bear fans don't want Cronulla or anyone else removed from the comp. We more than anyone know what that feels like, its sucks, its sad and i've been pissed for a decade plus!

dgsfan

Juniors
Agreed. More teams in NSW is not what the NRL needs. Perth and another QLD team should be next.

Brutus

Referee
Central Coast people were in full voice again tonight. You could hear their screams (for an NRL team) all the way from Sydney.

Neither CC or Perth has shown an overwhelming hunger for NRL football in the past couple of weeks. Before the Gold Coast were admitted they were selling out every game they got at Carrara, even though they were pretty much all only pre-season games. Neither of these hopefuls are making such clear statements with their crowds.

TheRam

Coach
CC if admitted into the NRL would be just another Illawarra and a waste of a franchise and resouces. May as well bring in another Cronulla ffs.

mate
CC if admitted into the NRL would be just another Illawarra and a waste of a franchise and resouces. May as well bring in another Cronulla ffs.

mate do stupid f**ks understand we want the bears up here and now im a panthers man and that wont change but even ill go to every game that doesnt stop me seeing the panthers. i can't believe you lazy sydney f**ks if my team was 10mins down the road how dont we get 20,000 every game

Teddyboy

First Grade
Iam starting to get depressed because it seems Illawarra,Cronulla,Gold Coast,Penrith,Eastern Suburbs,Souths,Central Coast,Perth etc don't want League in fact who really wants to support Rugby League in Australia:(

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Iam starting to get depressed because it seems Illawarra,Cronulla,Gold Coast,Penrith,Eastern Suburbs,Souths,Central Coast,Perth etc don't want League in fact who really wants to support Rugby League in Australia:(

Can I offer you a rope?

Status
Not open for further replies.