What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
If you consider Hornsby/Berowra etc Bears territory I suppose you're right but I think you'll find a lot of current RL supporters would view North Sydney/Chatswood/Cremorne/Mosman/Willoughby etc as Bears territory.

Berowra are a club in the NSDJRL.

Upper North Shore including Hrornsby, Berowra, Asquith etc have always been part of the NS Bears catchment.

TERRIGAL AND ERINA FAIR GET BEHIND THE CENTRAL COAST BEARS

5th July, 2010 | Posted by Central Coast Bears

The Terrigal community and patrons of bustling Erina Fair have demonstrated strong support for the NRL's next franchise, the Central Coast Bears, as the club took its membership drive to a number of busy locations on Saturday 3 July.

The red & blacks have been working hard to engage the Central Coast community, and the team led by Bears’ CEO Greg Florimo and members of the bid team met with hundreds of league fans at the famous Central Coast shopping hot spots.

Greg Florimo said, "We were overwhelmed with the support of the shoppers we met along the strip at Terrigal Beach and outside Dymocks at Erina Fair.

"It's pleasing that the Central Coast is supporting the Bears as its team and understand that the club will be giving local youngsters the opportunity to stay at home and play professional football in the NRL.

"At Terrigal and Erina Fair we spoke with many hundreds of local Central Coast supporters and activities such as this have helped push our membership numbers to almost 1700."

Hundreds of supporters also grabbed Central Coast Bears' membership forms pledging to pay just $30 for individual membership, which are excellent value and won't terminate until the end of December 2012.

Florimo added, "It was also pleasing to see youngsters from the local rugby league clubs signing up with their parents and grandparents.

"We also sold plenty of merchandise with our brand new training shirts selling fast at just $45, while the Central Coast Bears' foundation jerseys at $120 continue to be highly sought after."

Florimo congratulated Brett Hunter from Raine & Horne Terrigal for permitting the Central Coast Bears to use the pavement outside the leading Central Coast property firm's new state-of-the art premises on Terrigal Esplanade.

"There are a number of people who I would also like to thank. All of the volunteers and Bears fans who helped on the day, Belinda Mills and all the Management at Erina Fair for their support and Vince Coco and his staff from Mortgage House for supporting Saturday's membership and merchandise drive."

Mr Hunter, an avid supporter of the Central Coast Bears, said, "The Central Coast is prime rugby league real estate and it makes absolute sense for the Bears to be included in the NRL pronto.

"The Central Coast Bears have a compelling and sustainable business case and I personally can't wait for the brand awareness, tourism dollars and additional business to start to flood into the Central Coast.

Mr Hunter, who is also a director of the Real Estate Institute of NSW, added "I would like to encourage David Gallop to take a drive up the F3 and meet with local community, business and tourism authorities to understand how the Bears will support and be supported by the Central Coast."

The Central Coast Bears membership drive will next visit Rebel at Westfield Tuggerah on 7 August, while a business networking event is planned for the Platinum Building at Erina on 3 September 2010.

WOW !!!!!!! have a look at the hundreds of people in the last photo, jeez that is a mighty impressive turn out

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Good to see you show your knowledge of what went on.

Your attempts to belittle the bid are quite hilarious.

RedVee

First Grade
If you consider Hornsby/Berowra etc Bears territory I suppose you're right but I think you'll find a lot of current RL supporters would view North Sydney/Chatswood/Cremorne/Mosman/Willoughby etc as Bears territory.
Yes, it is/was Bears territory.

Berowra are a club in the NSDJRL.

Upper North Shore including Hrornsby, Berowra, Asquith etc have always been part of the NS Bears catchment.

Exactly, you beat me to it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I completely understand, I'm just telling you what the perception might be.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Everyone and their stinking dog has an opinion on who what and where the next expansions should be. People however are high on metho. Because to actually have a chance for expansion you need a few things 1st.

A stadium. Financial backing. Sponsors. Fan base and support both locally and away. To generate enough revenue ($15m) year after year once brought in. Memberships. Cooporate backing, again both local businesses and big businesses. Grassroots in juniors, local comps and league foundations. Bid meetings with locals updating the bids status. Oh and most importantly a bid itself!

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Everyone and their stinking dog has an opinion on who what and where the next expansions should be. People however are high on metho. Because to actually have a chance for expansion you need a few things 1st.

A stadium. Financial backing. Sponsors. Fan base and support both locally and away. To generate enough revenue ($15m) year after year once brought in. Memberships. Cooporate backing, again both local businesses and big businesses. Grassroots in juniors, local comps and league foundations. Bid meetings with locals updating the bids status. Oh and most importantly a bid itself!

Or - you need a few old dinosaur mates at the ARL and Gallop to be your buddy.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/07/11/nrl-expansion-eastern-seaboard/

Looking at the NRL’s expansion options

With the NRL being pressed about expanding their competition (with TV rights being the most important factor of course), David Gallop has indicated that Central Coast Bears (Gosford) and a team from Perth are the frontrunners.

I say let’s forget Perth as a team and concentrate on the Eastern seaboard of Australasia.

Why put a team back in Perth solely for the timezone reason (think Western Force beating Melbourne in 2004 for Super 14) with about 7,000 spectators on average per week? The Perth Reds didn’t set the world on fire and it will be the same again.

Imagine if the NRL aggressively decided to make the eastern seaboard a rugby league stronghold. It could create a powerful competition and would become an instant international money spinner.

Here’s what I’m thinking:

Create four new franchises: Papua New Guinea (PNG), Central Coast Bears, Wellington (NZ) and either a Central Queensland or a second Brisbane team (either way another Queensland team).

That would give us exactly 20 teams.

There would be two different ways to come up with the right plan:

First plan: have two conferences of 10 teams each; the top five in each conference battling it out for the semi-finals.

Second plan: have two divisions, a Premier League and a first division. The four new teams start in the first division, and the bottom six teams in the NRL are relegated (tough luck). Both divisions will battle it out throughout the year and at the end we will have two top teams from the first division promoted, bottom two teams from Premier League relegated (think EPL), on top of Grand Finals.

Could you imagine the indignity of, say, the Broncos ALMOST being relegated in a playoff at the end of the year? Or PNG being finally promoted to the Premier League causing a national holiday for a fortnight?

The mind boggles. It can be done. Let’s keep rugby league on the eastern seaboard. Rivalries would be created: Auckland vs Wellington, Bears vs Knights, PNG vs Cowboys, Brisbane vs Brisbane. The list goes on and on. Stand alone State of Origin weekends on Friday night with Pacific Islander vs Aboriginal All Stars on the Sunday.

But hang on… this is the NRL i’m talking about. There is more chance of the bureaucrats sitting on their fat hands than doing something constructive.

adamkungl

Immortal
Wow, a rubbish article from the Roar. What a surprise.

The Eastern Seaboard already IS a Rugby League stronghold you dope. Nobody gives a f**k about Union.

Perth Red

Post Whore
lol at the Roar. Yep ignore one of the largest amd most lucrative cities in the country for Rockhampton :)

If the Eastern seaboard isn't a RL stronghold after 100 years adding 4 more teams isn;t going to change it!

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
There is a Central Coast Bears doublepage article spread in the august edition of alpha
magazine titled "out of hibernation". Look out for it. Go the bears!

Status
Not open for further replies.