What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
This can't hurt the Bears' NRL bid either. You will notice in the artists impression that Bluetongue Stadium is in the middle of it, and right on the waterfront where the proposed redevelopment will be.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...sford-waterfront/story-e6freuzi-1225892387616

$1 billion plan to breathe life into a dying Gosford waterfront

387511-gosford-waterfront.jpg

Artist's impression ... room for 10,000 new residents is to be built on the Gosford waterfront in an health and education precinct. Source: The Daily Telegraph

GOSFORD will be transformed into a world-class waterfront city, with developers yesterday invited to contribute to the $1 billion plan.

The State Government opened expressions of interest for the first 100ha stage of the 350ha project that will bring 10,000 new residents in 6000 dwellings and new offices.

The community-designed master plan envisages three hotels, a convention centre, performing arts hub, luxury office space, new bridges and roads, a university and a waterfront boasting dining, shopping and tourism.

"Gosford has suffered as a dying centre as the outskirts were developed," Gosford City Mayor Chris Holstein said yesterday.

The first steps towards Gosford's Cinderella story was revealed as two Sydney councils unveiled draft plans to open up land for new homes - one on waterfront, and the other within walking distance of the CBD.
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/#sidebar-end

Proposed zoning changes will be considered at Sydney City Council next week to allow Glebe's Harold Park Raceway to be sold for development up to eight-storeys high and with 1200 homes.

Sydney City CEO Monica Barone said the site's heritage-listed tram sheds would be restored and turned over to community, retail and commercial use.

"We want at least 35 per cent of the site to be public open space," she said.

Canada Bay Council also unveiled a new plan for Rhodes West peninsula - towers up to 25 storeys tall to house 12,000 people.
The peninsula, previously used for chemical manufacturing, will be given a green foreshore, parklands, shops, a town plaza and bike paths.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I think a team on the Central Coast is ridiculous.

They're junior base is going to chew into that of Newcastle, and considering how poorly the Knights are travelling in recent years, one can only wonder if a Central Coast team would be detrimental to Newcastle.

Furthermore, the game need to expand further interstate if it wishes to draw a decent figure from the next broadcasting deal. Perth has to be one team included in the games expansion. If there is to be another team it should come from an area quite well populated and not encroaching too much on the area of any existing teams, as well as being an area which produces a good deal of local talent, and is also in an area where AFL is making in-roads.

A team from Logan is also stupid.

I see no real reason for or against having an odd number of teams. Players will be in favour of it, as it will mean a team will have a bye every week.

Considering also that the Australian Soccer World Cup bid will result in a huge new stadium in Perth (from early reports I read about the bid a few months ago anyway) then it means Perth should be about 99% certain of re-admission already.

Given the large number of New Zealand and Islander based players, it might pay to have another team from New Zealand.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Personally I think a team on the Central Coast is ridiculous.
Good thing you don't have any decision making ability for the NRL then.
They're junior base is going to chew into that of Newcastle, and considering how poorly the Knights are travelling in recent years, one can only wonder if a Central Coast team would be detrimental to Newcastle.
How is that so? The Central Coast junior area is separate from that and until 2010 (Central Coast Centurions), the Knights had little to do with the Coast and it's junior system. Most Central Coast juniors who've made it to NRL level are playing at clubs all over Sydney and beyond - Heighno @ Tigers, Millington @ Sharks. They hardly call on Coast juniors at the moment, now would be not much different.
Furthermore, the game need to expand further interstate if it wishes to draw a decent figure from the next broadcasting deal. Perth has to be one team included in the games expansion. If there is to be another team it should come from an area quite well populated and not encroaching too much on the area of any existing teams, as well as being an area which produces a good deal of local talent, and is also in an area where AFL is making in-roads.
A fair point, but on the same note, how can we ignore such a large RL nursery, a bid that has such strong corporate backing already - not to mention the wealth of facilities already in place. While I accept an interstate team would help seal an increased broadcasting deal when it's next on the table (and as such I agree that Perth should join simultaneously), we shouldn't be ignoring League strongholds, because we may not hold onto them forever.
A team from Logan is also stupid.
Completely agree, Central QLD (Mackay/Rocky etc) is a much better prospect. Even have Manly relocate to Noosa?
I see no real reason for or against having an odd number of teams. Players will be in favour of it, as it will mean a team will have a bye every week.
That's something I laugh at when people use it as an anti-expansion argument and your views are 100% correct. We already have bye weekends and whatnot with even teams, it's not much difference and gives players a break.
Considering also that the Australian Soccer World Cup bid will result in a huge new stadium in Perth (from early reports I read about the bid a few months ago anyway) then it means Perth should be about 99% certain of re-admission already.
While I support the idea of Perth joining as well, we need to prepare for the fact the WC bid may very well not be successful and then what of these stadia proposals? That said, by the time expansion decisions are made, the fate of the WC bid would be known.
Given the large number of New Zealand and Islander based players, it might pay to have another team from New Zealand.
If Perth can't be done - I honestly think Wellington or Christchurch should be sticking their hands up.

The constant humdrum I keep hearing about the CC bid is that "noone wants it to be the Bears". While I would prefer it wasn't, I'm still 100% behind the concept, purely for the reason that they've stuck their hand up, have a strong bid (nearly 2,000 members without a team even existing - some current clubs barely crack that number), and are committed to the Central Coast, something we never felt sure of when the NE debacle happened.

If someone else on the Coast put together something as strong I'd probably be behind that instead, but for now the Bears model is the best we've got and something we can definitely be proud of.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
The constant humdrum I keep hearing about the CC bid is that "noone wants it to be the Bears". While I would prefer it wasn't, I'm still 100% behind the concept, purely for the reason that they've stuck their hand up, have a strong bid (nearly 2,000 members without a team even existing - some current clubs barely crack that number), and are committed to the Central Coast, something we never felt sure of when the NE debacle happened.

If someone else on the Coast put together something as strong I'd probably be behind that instead, but for now the Bears model is the best we've got and something we can definitely be proud of.

The constant humdrumming is just that, empty vessells etc etc.
People like you who are open minded the Bears need more of.

However, in my personal dealings there is a lot of wide-spread acceptance and even hope for the Bears on the Coast. From people who go for other teams, through old time Bears supporters, to people who just want a team and like what the Bears have been trying to do. (including the thousands of League players on the Coast, include a lot of them as well)

I will say though for something as strong to be put together would be impossible, as one of the strengths of the bid is the existing fanbase outside and inside the CC for the Bears brand. Along with that goes the sponsors, the overall appeal etc etc.

Some poeple don't even like Santa Clause though so you can't please everyone.

They built the stadium, this will be a CC team and for a long time now Gallop has referered to the Bears brand as a key part of having a team on the CC as well, So I for one cannot imagine a scenairo where if we get a CC team it will not be the Bears.

Talons

Juniors
Good thing you don't have any decision making ability for the NRL then.

How is that so? The Central Coast junior area is separate from that and until 2010 (Central Coast Centurions), the Knights had little to do with the Coast and it's junior system. Most Central Coast juniors who've made it to NRL level are playing at clubs all over Sydney and beyond - Heighno @ Tigers, Millington @ Sharks. They hardly call on Coast juniors at the moment, now would be not much different.

A fair point, but on the same note, how can we ignore such a large RL nursery, a bid that has such strong corporate backing already - not to mention the wealth of facilities already in place. While I accept an interstate team would help seal an increased broadcasting deal when it's next on the table (and as such I agree that Perth should join simultaneously), we shouldn't be ignoring League strongholds, because we may not hold onto them forever.

Completely agree, Central QLD (Mackay/Rocky etc) is a much better prospect. Even have Manly relocate to Noosa?

That's something I laugh at when people use it as an anti-expansion argument and your views are 100% correct. We already have bye weekends and whatnot with even teams, it's not much difference and gives players a break.

While I support the idea of Perth joining as well, we need to prepare for the fact the WC bid may very well not be successful and then what of these stadia proposals? That said, by the time expansion decisions are made, the fate of the WC bid would be known.

If Perth can't be done - I honestly think Wellington or Christchurch should be sticking their hands up.

Timmah, as a long time Manly supporter I am genuinely interested as to why you should suggest that Manly relocate to Noosa when there is a far great congestion of clubs in Sydney's west ?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/07/18...-but-where-to/

NRL expansion talk heats up, but where to?

The past week has seen much focus on the NRL’s future expansion plans. Currently there are bids in play from the Central Coast, Perth and Central Queensland (CQLD).

David Gallop has just indicated that there will eventually be another team added to the NRL from the Brisbane/South East Queensland (SEQ) region.

A brief look at the bids gives a clue as to what order of entry the NRL may follow (pending a satisfactory TV deal):

Central Coast – all systems in place and steadily building up their financial membership base. They will need to convince the NRL that the Central Coast supports the Bears bid. If so, the appeal for the NRL to reconnect with the Bears former North Shore support base would be strong.

Perth – upgraded stadium under construction. Junior teams already competing in NSWRL competitions. The only non-heartland bid, it offers the NRL a chance to grow the game in a thriving capital city and at the same time offering attractive TV viewing slots to the east coast. With two AFL teams plus the Force and Glory to compete for fans with, will the west support league again?

CQLD – strong grassroots support, however only the intention to build a stadium at this point should they win admission. They will need to convince the NRL that they have the corporate and population base to sustain a team long-term. Unfortunately their bid website lists their number one advantage over other bids as the support of a Mr Kevin Rudd! (The number two advantage is the support of Anna Bligh – also soon to be history.)

Brisbane region – intention given to bid in 2013 by Ipswich/Logan. There are two options for SEQ – either a true second Brisbane team playing out of Suncorp (another Crushers), or a new stadium built in the Ipswich region to service the growing corridor west of Brisbane.

At first glance, a second side out of Suncorp might appeal, however Brisbanites pride themselves on being a big country town, and prefer the ‘one town, one team’ mentality. The city already has four codes strongly represented via the Broncos, Lions, Roar and the Reds. The fear is that a second true Brisbane team would just split fans with the Broncos.

An Ipswich/Logan bid offers access to a growing population base with no national sporting representation to date, but requires a stadium. The other problem is the name of the owner of the Ipswich leagues club – a Mr John Ribot.

I believe the NRL would prefer an Ipswich/Logan bid sans John Ribot, which would require a stadium to be built. Ipswichers are staunchly independent from Brisbane and would not travel to Suncorp – their admission would create an instant rivalry, a la Gold Coast. It would also allow ’space’ in SEQ for an eventual team on the Sunshine Coast, hence the Broncos would be ringed by three local rivals (south, west and north) – a perfect tribal scenario.

All four regions (Central Coast, Perth, CQLD, SEQ) deserve representation in the NRL in the future, and given the stage of their bids, at this stage, the Central Coast Bears and WA Reds have less boxes to tick than the other contenders. David Gallop has said there is no rigid ‘order’ of the contenders, so it will come down to who is most ready.

The expansion timetable I foresee is therefore:

2013 – Central Coast Bears and WA Reds
2017 – Ipswich/Logan and CQLD

Future expansion after 2017 would therefore feature Wellington, PNG, Sunshine Coast and Adelaide. Gallop said he is opposed to relocation, so unless there is natural attrition of weak Sydney teams, we may be looking at a 24 team competition by 2025, with one full round each year allowing stand-alone weeks for State of Origin.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
TUGGERAH SUPA CENTA
Today the membership drive continues @Tuggerah Supa Centa between 11am-2pm.....Join the fight to bring an NRL team
to the Central Coast.
Meet David Fairleigh,
Central Coast Bears Head
of Football Operations Free face painting
and jumping castle too.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Timmah, as a long time Manly supporter I am genuinely interested as to why you should suggest that Manly relocate to Noosa when there is a far great congestion of clubs in Sydney's west ?
As a long time Manly supporter, are you aware of your club's connection to the Sunshine Coast?

Seems ideal to me, especially if a Central Coast/North Sydney entity were to enter the comp.

juro

Bench
I would assume that the logic is that the majority of money comes from television rights. If you have 17 teams, you have 8 games still, meaning all the teams get a smaller cut of the pie. If you have 18 teams, the extra game would bring extra revenue so other teams aren't put out.

Bro Bear

Juniors
Sooner the NRL accepts the Central Coast Bears and WA Reds into the comp the better.

2013 Bears and Reds.

2018 - Another Brisbane/Ipswich team - Logan Brothers/Diehards/Diggers and NZ Orcas.

Adelaide a long wait. Maybe a defacto relationship with a struggling club e.g Sharks.

vice versa PNG with a current club - Manly two games a year there will boost their coffers..

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Gallop and the NRL should just give the green light now for expansion into western Australia and to bring in the bears. Use the sure entry as a bargaining chip for the tv rights rather then the other way around which is what they're doing now. Give w.a. reds a salary cap exemption of 300, 000 to 500, 000 but not to the bears as we are in a rugby league state already.

Then get a current nrl team to play a few games in adelaide a year and another team to play in southern nz. Use pre season games to shore up NT, png, central qld, Ipswich, sunny coast/redcliffe. Let's get the bloody ball rolling. Us fans want to know what's happening with the game here in aus!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gallop and the NRL should just give the green light now for expansion into western Australia and to bring in the bears. Use the sure entry as a bargaining chip for the tv rights rather then the other way around which is what they're doing now. Give w.a. reds a salary cap exemption of 300, 000 to 500, 000 but not to the bears as we are in a rugby league state already.

Then get a current nrl team to play a few games in adelaide a year and another team to play in southern nz. Use pre season games to shore up NT, png, central qld, Ipswich, sunny coast/redcliffe. Let's get the bloody ball rolling. Us fans want to know what's happening with the game here in aus!
:clap:

bender

Juniors

One way i was thinking might be okay to sure up/improve expansion areas would be the use of Monday night Football. Traditional areas dont really take to this time slot but it would be pretty good for other areas, because it would mean that there would not be a clash with Aussie Rules, Union or whatever sport the other team plays. And the NRL already subsidises clubs for the time slot. This would mean that one game a week could go to Central Coast, Perth, Adelaide, Christchurch, Wellington, PNG, Darwin, Central Queensland, NSW Country or whereever, and if some of the areas only had capacity to get 10,000 or so crowds it wouldnt really matter because that is roughly the crowds that go now on mondays, anyway.

mightybears

Bench
Alpha Magazine, Issue 61 August 2010. Northern States edition of said News Ltd Mag, with Hindmarsh & Civoniceva on the cover has a two page article entitled

Good News Bears: The Red & Black are Almost Back

Positive article from what i read in 30 seconds at Shell Coorparoo.

Of course, going by the cover there's also an article about how to punch like Danny Green. [Step 1-ensure opponent is mentally and physically well past it, Step 2-promote the bout yourself, in your home state even when other jurisdictions laugh at you, Step 3-be a big man by pretending you had no idea and bag sad opponent off in ring in front of the crowd you ripped off etc! etc], so of what value the Bears article is-i don't know other than obvious continued promotion.

Loudstrat

Coach
20k at Gosford. Twice that that went to Adelaide. But we should put a team in Adelaide and not Gosford so we can get bigger crowds...............

FMD!!!!!!!

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Why is there such huge support for Wests Tigers on the Central Coast? They seem to draw the largest attendances at Gosford games.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Great crowd in today. Great to see the cc residents come out in force. I can't wait for the day the central coast bears run out on bluetounge for the first time. Hope the NRL took some notice @ the figures today. Cmon Bears!

Status
Not open for further replies.