What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeepe

Immortal
20k at Gosford. Twice that that went to Adelaide. But we should put a team in Adelaide and not Gosford so we can get bigger crowds...............

FMD!!!!!!!

Whilst I agree, it was a fantastic crowd, they need to start doing it on a regular basis. In the last 12-15 months they've had this crowd, but they've also had crowds of 6,000 and 8,000.

It seems like they only support league on Sundays, and that's not enough.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.centralcoastbears.com.au/news/tuggerah_gets_behind_central_coast_bears.html

TUGGERAH THE LATEST TO GET BEHIND THE CENTRAL COAST BEARS

The Tuggerah Community showed their support for the Central Coast Bears bid on Sunday 18th July at Tuggerah Supa Centa.

The Bears bid team and its growing team of volunteers have been working hard to engage the Central Coast community, and they were out in force led by Bears Head of Football Operations David Fairleigh. Mr Fairleigh said, "It was tremendous to see so much support from the Northern region of the Coast.

"Support from the Central Coast community is essential to the success of this bid and this event really showed that the support is endless."

A number of supporters took up premium membership options on the spot which start at just $30 for an individual and $80 for a family of four and is valid until 31st December, 2012.

Mr Fairleigh added, "It was wonderful to also receive support from the businesses located in the centre who understand the significance and benefits that a team on the Central Coast would mean for the community".

"Tuggerah Supa Centre provided huge support for this event and I would like to thank them as well as the volunteers that were there on the day"

Tuggerah Supa Centa Centre Manager Gabrielle Briggs is 100% behind the Bears bid to enter the NRL.

"I absolutely cannot wait for this to happen, and we keep supporting the Bears to get them over the line" Briggs said.

Briggs added, "To have a Rugby League team representing the Central Coast is not only beneficial to the game itself but will also have a flow on of benefits to the Central Coast community and its businesses"

Central Coast Bears merchandise was also on sale including men's and women's polo shirts and training tees - the two recent additions to the Bear's stylish range. The Central Coast Bears Foundation jersey which is selling at $120 is also proving a hot ticket item at all events.

The Central Coast Bears will be holding another Membership Drive on Saturday 7th August from 10am-3pm at two locations, Rebel at Westfield Tuggerah and also Dymocks at Erina Fair. As well as these two drives the Central Coast Bears will be hosting a business networking event on Thursday 2nd Septemeber 2010 at Quattro's in the Platinum building in Erina.

Loudstrat

Coach
Whilst I agree, it was a fantastic crowd, they need to start doing it on a regular basis. In the last 12-15 months they've had this crowd, but they've also had crowds of 6,000 and 8,000.

You really are a dumb f*ck at times. In the last 5 years the average crowd at Gosford has been neck and neck with the average crowd at Canberra - except 2006 - when Gosford beat you by 6000 each game.

I take it therefore you want no Bears OR Raiders in the comp so we can have Adelaide? :lol:

chrisD

Coach
Where are these 50 (2 x squads of 25) NRL standard footballers that are so unlucky that they are not playing in the NRL at present? There are a few in the UK but not 50...

The talent is spread pretty thin at the moment and the NYC is not developing the talent that it should be.

I'm all for expansion but I honestly don't think the competition is ready.

I agree with you that there aren't 50 other first graders in the country to maintain the standard of footy I'd like to watch, but I still think it's best we bite the bullet. The players will come, the teams will attract more juniors and after the new TV deal there will be more money to keep more players in Australia/league and maybe even bring some back. I think it's a problem that will correct itself in time and we'd be missing too big an opportunity to not act on it. So long as we don't move too fast I think it'll be well worth it in the long run.

mightybears

Bench

Jeez Mr Glass half empty 30 odd matches at the ground since the end of "the evils that i dare not speak its name", 25 odd matches over 10,000, 10 over 15,000, and 1 match of less than 8500.

Work out the averages, factor the ad hoc nature of PROMOTION AND SCHEDULING, that most games are Sydney clubs playing out of staters that don't draw crowds like the Cows, or the Knights doing the same-and you have a 'top 5 average crowd' venue for the last 8 years. Much like the bears had in the 90's!

fmd that Mortgage House logo with the white "billboard sticker" on the CC jersey is a massive eyesore. Would rate it up there with the Broncos WOW sponsorship.

yeah it stands out, but thats what a sponsor wants

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Is that someone getting a massage in the background? :lol:

As for skeepe, until your region starts performing with crowds more than just full houses for Saints games, stfu.

applesauce

Bench
yeah it stands out, but thats what a sponsor wants

I know it is minor but they could still have the same effect by making a white outline around the logo much like this image:

roospresser.jpg

It keeps the fans happy and the sponsors happy. Plus there is an added bonus to actually being embraced by a club and being a part of the jersey. I don't shop at WOW just because of the mockery they have made of the Broncos strip where if they did the outline or incorporated their logo like Pirtek do with Parramatta I would have a better "connection" with that company, which from an advertising sense is the whole purpose of the sponsorship.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/07/27/blue-tongue-crowd-a-sign-that-nrl-should-expand/

Blue Tongue crowd a sign that NRL should expand

Sunday offered three debates, but only one was answered resoundingly. There was, of course, the debate between two party leaders, which lacked any clear winner, and there was the debate over whether Robbie Farah dived against the Sea-Eagles. But the one debate that was ended in the most conclusive fashion was: is the Central Coast was ready for an NRL team?

Hell yeah.

In debates, it’s often useful to provide a few figures to give your argument that little bit of academic rigour to separate it from the rest of the noise, which is based on the “people I speak to” school of thought.

I’ll offer one: 20,059.

Not since Round 1 of the 2000 NRL season have so many people squeezed themselves into Blue Tongue Stadium, not for the Rugby World Cups, not for the A-League, and not for the countless other NRL matches which have looked to pick up a quick cheque from the people of the Coast and a quick beer at Club Troppo.

Just why so many fans chose to flock to this game when so many others have failed to capture the public imagination is a little bit of a mystery. But one worth investigating, especially seeing the club which took the game to Gosford could be justifiably seen as public enemy number one as they’ve spent a not inconsiderate amount of time bemoaning the part of their history which forced them to play there.

Most importantly, it was a quality fixture on a Sunday afternoon.

Many matches at Gosford seem to be the 5.30 Saturday fixture, as a club looks to cut their losses against opponents with smaller travelling fan numbers (Sharks, Storm, Warriors) or cash in on the Knights travelling fans.

So that is probably the first starting point for any future games. Make it a good one.

Fans who had travelled up from Sydney and were turned away at the gate must have thought they’d entered a parallel universe. I normally find fans have a big enough beef if they have to queue, let alone if they can’t get in.

There are obviously other compelling reasons to expand the game to the likes of Perth and Central Queensland. But as long as they can show the correct level of financial support, then you are a hard marker if you claim the Central Coast Bears have any other criteria that they need to fulfill.

But not only did the fans turn up, they were entertained with a game from the code’s top shelf.

Did Robbie Farah dive? I don’t know.

Far be it from me to judge whether a bloke is soft or not, as I take in the match from a very safe distance. Also, when we have just gone through the whole Paul Briggs farce, it’s hard not to be sceptical when the team doctors are wheeled out to talk about how crook a bloke was at halftime and teammates talk about how tough a bloke is.

At least the bookies weren’t offering a market on whether Steve Matai would knock anyone out.

The fact that I viewed the match from my lounge room also left me unable to answer the other key question in the wash up: Just how hard would it have been to get into Club Troppo and a buy a few schooners?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...he-central-coast/story-e6frg7mf-1225897216635

NRL to go fishing on the Central Coast

THE NRL has said it will be "fishing where the fish are" when it decides next year whether to expand the competition.

This comes after more than 20,000 fans crammed into Gosford's Bluetongue Stadium to watch Manly and Wests Tigers on Sunday.

The Central Coast Bears have a meeting with the NRL on Thursday to give an update on their bid. And the packed house on Sunday wasn't lost on NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday.

"(The crowd figure) was reflective of two things," Gallop said yesterday.

"Firstly, the fact that Manly and Wests Tigers are genuine contenders in a very tight race to the finish.

"Secondly, it shows Central Coast people love their rugby league.

"Certainly these are opportunities for people to vote with their feet and this is what they did emphatically yesterday.

"We said we'd look at expansion in 12 months time, so that's midway through next year.

"Clearly from yesterday's crowd we'd be fishing where the fish are at Gosford, with the added attraction of a reconnection with the tradition of the Bears."

North Sydney was a foundation club of the NSWRL in 1908.

Central Coast Bears general manager Greg Florimosaid even he was stunned by the 20,059 fans who filled the stadium, prompting the "house full" sign to be posted an hour before kickoff.

It was quite surprising given Manly was playing and Central Coast fans have scant regard for the club after a failed joint venture between it and Norths.

"I went there to watch the under-20s and I thought there was a fair crowd rolling in and they might hit 15,000," Florimo said.

"When I left before kickoff all roads into the stadium were jammed with traffic.

"It sends a message loud and clear to the NRL that the people are here on the Coast ready to support the game and they will attend the Central Coast Stadium en masse if we have our own team."

The Bears and Perth are the two groups that have the inside running if the NRL decides to expand its competition in 2013.

The fate of expansion is tied to negotiation of the next television deal from 2013 and the establishment of the game's first independent commission, with a target date set for November 1 this year.

The Bears have 2000 financial members and have secured Mortgage House as a major sponsor.

"2013 is the date we've targeted based on the fact that you do need a good two years to get the thing put together, especially recruiting blue-chip players," Florimo said.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://north-shore-times.whereilive...n-jets-honour-rugby-league-legend-frank-hyde/

THE North Sydney Bears are poised to turn the tables against the Newtown Jets when the NSW Cup sides clash in a Frank Hyde Shield match at North Sydney Oval on Friday night.

The Jets lead the clubs’ three-match series 2-0 this season following wins in round two and nine and the Bears are desperate to avoid a whitewash.

The shield commemorates the late Frank Hyde, a former centre who played for the Bears, Jets and Balmain Tigers in the 1940s.

Later, as a 2SM rugby league commentator, Hyde dominated weekend radio ratings for more than 30 years.

A 1970 Roy Francis heritage jersey will be the match-day raffle prize and Cammeray Public School band will feature in the pre-match and halftime entertainment.

Meanwhile, State Willoughby MP Gladys Berejiklian has become an ambassador for the Central Coast Bears NRL bid.

Bears boss Greg Florimo said Ms Berejiklian would be an asset to the club’s quest to return to the NRL.

``Gladys cherishes a lot of her memories of the Bears in the 1990s,’’ he said.

``From my discussions with her, she’s very proud to lend a hand to the Central Coast Bears.’‘

The Bears went down to the Western Suburbs Magpies 33-20 at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on Saturday.Friday’s match kicks off at 7pm, with gates open at 6pm. Admission is $8.

WESTERN SUBURBS MAGPIES 33 (G Aiga 2, R Pritchard, N Akeripa, K Kara, J Davis tries; J Sharkie 4 goals, R Pritchard field goal) d NORTH SYDNEY BEARS 20 (C Johnston 2, M Hunt, B Molan tries; E Paea 2 goals).

Last edited:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...he-central-coast/story-e6frg7mf-1225897216635

NRL to go fishing on the Central Coast

THE NRL has said it will be "fishing where the fish are" when it decides next year whether to expand the competition.

This comes after more than 20,000 fans crammed into Gosford's Bluetongue Stadium to watch Manly and Wests Tigers on Sunday.

The Central Coast Bears have a meeting with the NRL on Thursday to give an update on their bid. And the packed house on Sunday wasn't lost on NRL chief executive David Gallop yesterday.

"(The crowd figure) was reflective of two things," Gallop said yesterday.

"Firstly, the fact that Manly and Wests Tigers are genuine contenders in a very tight race to the finish.

"Secondly, it shows Central Coast people love their rugby league.

"Certainly these are opportunities for people to vote with their feet and this is what they did emphatically yesterday.

"We said we'd look at expansion in 12 months time, so that's midway through next year.

"Clearly from yesterday's crowd we'd be fishing where the fish are at Gosford, with the added attraction of a reconnection with the tradition of the Bears."

North Sydney was a foundation club of the NSWRL in 1908.

Central Coast Bears general manager Greg Florimosaid even he was stunned by the 20,059 fans who filled the stadium, prompting the "house full" sign to be posted an hour before kickoff.

It was quite surprising given Manly was playing and Central Coast fans have scant regard for the club after a failed joint venture between it and Norths.

"I went there to watch the under-20s and I thought there was a fair crowd rolling in and they might hit 15,000," Florimo said.

"When I left before kickoff all roads into the stadium were jammed with traffic.

"It sends a message loud and clear to the NRL that the people are here on the Coast ready to support the game and they will attend the Central Coast Stadium en masse if we have our own team."

The Bears and Perth are the two groups that have the inside running if the NRL decides to expand its competition in 2013.

The fate of expansion is tied to negotiation of the next television deal from 2013 and the establishment of the game's first independent commission, with a target date set for November 1 this year.

The Bears have 2000 financial members and have secured Mortgage House as a major sponsor.

"2013 is the date we've targeted based on the fact that you do need a good two years to get the thing put together, especially recruiting blue-chip players," Florimo said.

Fish where the fish are. :roll:

Gallop said exactly the same thing in 2004 - when the CC Bears had Singleton and his money backing the bid.

The bloke is a f**kwit of the highest order.

skeepe

Immortal
Ah yes, shoot the messenger and ignore the message. Typical stuff on the LU forums. My comment has nothing to do with the fact that Canberra have pathetic home crowds. That's a given, we all know this.

That out of the way, one 20,000 crowd does not make up for absolutely atrocious crowds over the last few years for an area that is apparently desperate for a team.

If the Central Coast was so desperate to see a team there, every game would have been played in front of a packed house. Instead, we hear excuses like the games being brought up aren't good enough and so on and so on. Seriously, it's a load of sh*t.

Look I'm glad they got such a great crowd on the weekend, but they've got a long, long way to go to convince me that they deserve a team over areas like Perth and Brisbane. Going to games on Saturday nights would be a start.

adamkungl

Immortal
Skeepe makes a good point. That said I'd still give them the 18th spot (the 17th going to Perth).

The crowds are a weakness in their bid imo. The reason I'd still give them the spot is because
-I think we should expand by 2 to get an extra match
-Right the wrongs of the Bears being punted. MASSIVE feel good story and could result in a general boost of the game in Sydney.
-I don't believe Brisbane city should get a second team, and I think SEQLD should be allowed to settle for another 5 years or so given they've had a recent addition in the Titans who are already looking shaky.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
The funds are there, the sponsors are there, the support is there, members & memberships are there, the stadium is there, the population and suburban density is there, the business plan is there, the brand, name and colours are there, the history is there, the structure, management and corporative backing is there, the people the fans the local supporters are there, the juniors are there..

Central Coast Bears.. Hibernation ends 20.13.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
Ah yes, shoot the messenger and ignore the message. Typical stuff on the LU forums. My comment has nothing to do with the fact that Canberra have pathetic home crowds. That's a given, we all know this.

That out of the way, one 20,000 crowd does not make up for absolutely atrocious crowds over the last few years for an area that is apparently desperate for a team.

If the Central Coast was so desperate to see a team there, every game would have been played in front of a packed house. Instead, we hear excuses like the games being brought up aren't good enough and so on and so on. Seriously, it's a load of sh*t.

Look I'm glad they got such a great crowd on the weekend, but they've got a long, long way to go to convince me that they deserve a team over areas like Perth and Brisbane. Going to games on Saturday nights would be a start.

Why do they have to have sellout crowds every game involving neutral teams?

They built a stadium and then the Bears got the boot.

Next in rolls the Northern Eagles, Then Cronulla looking to Move in.

They tick all the boxes withe their bid allready.

They have been dicked around for years by the NRL.

I know a heap of people who will not go until the Bears are playing there (People from the coast and also the north shore).

I personally have been going, but if you think that cause every game that these teams wheel up the road to take the 400K or whatever has to be a sellout, or even a huge crowd, you are kidding.

You will not see that until the CCB's are in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.