What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ah yes, shoot the messenger and ignore the message. Typical stuff on the LU forums. My comment has nothing to do with the fact that Canberra have pathetic home crowds. That's a given, we all know this.

That out of the way, one 20,000 crowd does not make up for absolutely atrocious crowds over the last few years for an area that is apparently desperate for a team.

If the Central Coast was so desperate to see a team there, every game would have been played in front of a packed house. Instead, we hear excuses like the games being brought up aren't good enough and so on and so on. Seriously, it's a load of sh*t.

Look I'm glad they got such a great crowd on the weekend, but they've got a long, long way to go to convince me that they deserve a team over areas like Perth and Brisbane. Going to games on Saturday nights would be a start.

The reason you get shot as a messenger is because you make such stupid, uneducated statements.

Below is every single crowd for NRL matches at Bluetongue since the folding of the Northern Eagles.

City v Country 17,674

City v Country 15,310
Souths v Cowboys 10,138
Tigers v Bulldogs 14,987
Bulldogs v Canberra 10,473
Roosters v Cowboys 16,127

Souths v Newcastle 16,162
Roosters v Canberra 16,253
Souths v Cowboys 13,079

Roosters v Newcastle 18,124

Souths v Newcastle 18,321
Tigers v Melbourne 19,111
Sydney v Newcastle 11,264
Souths v Melbourne 14,288
Manly v Newcastle 17,122

Sydney v Newcastle 14,176
Manly v Cowboys 9,343
Souths v Melbourne 8,761
Manly v Newcastle 13,978

Souths v Newcastle 15,227
Sydney v Melbourne 8,412
Bulldogs v Melbourne 10,923
Roosters v Titans 6,232 (MNF)
Manly v Newcastle 15,857

Manly v Newcastle 12,138
Souths v Newcastle 16,098
Sydney v Newcastle 10,018
Sharks v Bulldogs 9,826
Manly v Tigers 20,059

Lets be honest - for a region with no team, that's a quite impressive set of crowds. 13 of 29 crowds over 15,000, only 3 falling below 10,000. Every team is going to have some sort of downturn like that at times, largely due to scheduling and form of teams involved in a match.

I think the crowd support is actually quite a strong point for the bid, the Coast has showed that despite a long time without the team they will still most definitely respect and attend rugby league. That theory is yet to be tested in Perth with just the one game being held there, but I certainly hope Perth gets a few more games because their case is still a strong one and both bids can probably help each other across the line, so to speak.

The funds are there, the sponsors are there, the support is there, members & memberships are there, the stadium is there, the population and suburban density is there, the business plan is there, the brand, name and colours are there, the history is there, the structure, management and corporative backing is there, the people the fans the local supporters are there, the juniors are there..

Central Coast Bears.. Hibernation ends 20.13.
Summarising it all beautifully, well said.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Ah yes, shoot the messenger and ignore the message. Typical stuff on the LU forums. My comment has nothing to do with the fact that Canberra have pathetic home crowds. That's a given, we all know this.

That out of the way, one 20,000 crowd does not make up for absolutely atrocious crowds over the last few years for an area that is apparently desperate for a team.

If the Central Coast was so desperate to see a team there, every game would have been played in front of a packed house. Instead, we hear excuses like the games being brought up aren't good enough and so on and so on. Seriously, it's a load of sh*t.

Look I'm glad they got such a great crowd on the weekend, but they've got a long, long way to go to convince me that they deserve a team over areas like Perth and Brisbane. Going to games on Saturday nights would be a start.

You f**king idiot.

Many, many people like me haven't been to a rugby league game in 11 years - as a protest against the fraud perpetrated against the Bears in 1999 - and the continuing fraud to keep the CC Bears out for 11 years.

to get 20k people after 11 years is a fabulous effort - and shows up the News Limited turds who continue to keep this obvious fraud continuing. And you come along and sledge this effort, you dickhead.

you should be lucky they don't introduce a fair dinkum criteria - not a News Limited rigged one - because your club would be one of the first of 6 that would be turfed out in an instant.

adamkungl

Immortal
You f**king idiot.

Many, many people like me haven't been to a rugby league game in 11 years - as a protest against the fraud perpetrated against the Bears in 1999 - and the continuing fraud to keep the CC Bears out for 11 years.

to get 20k people after 11 years is a fabulous effort - and shows up the News Limited turds who continue to keep this obvious fraud continuing. And you come along and sledge this effort, you dickhead.

you should be lucky they don't introduce a fair dinkum criteria - not a News Limited rigged one - because your club would be one of the first of 6 that would be turfed out in an instant.

Wait, so you haven't been to a game even when your attendance would make a case for the Bears re-admittance?

Timmah

Staff member
Seems silly when you look at it that way kungl, but at the same time you can see his point too.

bazza

Immortal
Wait, so you haven't been to a game even when your attendance would make a case for the Bears re-admittance?

That seems to be the mentality of the Central Coast supporters.
They didn't like the Northern Eagles and wanted their "own" team so they stopped going to matches.
That didn't work out - you think they might have learnt

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Let's be honest here, lots of north Sydney bears fans whom support another team now-a-days would instantly be attracted to the central coast bears. Many fans who haven't watched the nrl since the bears dissolved and have since then become waratahs, united and swans supporters I'm positive would also return to support the newly incarnated central coast bears. Many of that percentage would alongside local central coast residents become members of the ccbears once the team is running.

With a members figure of currently 2000 without a team in the comp, I'm also positive that the ccbears can break 10, 000 - 13, 000 paid members once the bears are running out on to the field. Add the possibility of another 5000 - 10000 part time bears supporting patrons that surely will mean averages of 15, 000-16, 000 per game @ bluetongue stadium.

There's also plenty of bears supporters interstate and seeing how popular the bears were in the 90s, expect alot of new start families backing the bears. As long as we keep fighting the good fight and as long as we keep up this momentum and ride it out until the very end, then the central coast bears will be a real threat to the comp on the field and a real positive to the comp off it.

C'mon BEARS!!..

Last edited:

Timmah

Staff member
That seems to be the mentality of the Central Coast supporters.
They didn't like the Northern Eagles and wanted their "own" team so they stopped going to matches.
That didn't work out - you think they might have learnt

The crowd stats beg to differ...

Teddyboy

First Grade
If the Central Coast got in would it have high ticket prices and end up like the Gold Coast.

Loudstrat

Coach
How the f*ck would you know?????

Anyway - Generally 5 games per year at Bluetongue - roughly the same at Campbelltown.

Anyone got comparative stats between the two?

BuffaloRules

Coach
I have a theory that yesterdays great crowd was a direct result of the tigers support on the CC and them being in reasonable form.

The crowd appeared do be 80 per cent tigers fans.

Have a look at the crowd that the tigers got there against Mellbourne in 2007 - 19K on what was a sat night from memory.

Unfortunately for the bears, the tigers can only play there once a year if they get the nod.

How the f*ck would you know?????

Anyway - Generally 5 games per year at Bluetongue - roughly the same at Campbelltown.

Anyone got comparative stats between the two?

One is a home ground and the other hosts neutral sides. I don't understand the point of the comparison?

I believe that if the CC Bears were admitted into the competition they could potentially draw sell-out crowds against

Manly
Tigers
St George
Newcastle
Canterbury
Souths

They would also share a healthy rivalry with Easts as a fellow foundation club.

Alex28

Coach
there are over 100 former 1st grade NRL players playing Rl in England + RU and AFL. If you had the $'s you could easily make two competitve teams out of that.

On top of that you would hope the NRL IC would support grass root development in WA so that in the next decade we were producing our own.

and on top of that you would hope NRL clubs eventually got the financial point where they could be turning the tables and signing top class players from other codes.

Some of those players were not good enough for the NRL the first time around. I think the "signing from other codes" is a bit of a pipe dream to be honest.

I think the code is a lot weaker this year than it has been in previous years. Spread that talent over another two teams, get a few stars back from England but fill the majority from NSWRL and QLD Cup and NYC and see the quality of play get worse.

Lets get 16 strong teams first and then look to expansion.

bazza

Immortal
I believe that if the CC Bears were admitted into the competition they could potentially draw sell-out crowds against

Manly
Tigers
St George
Newcastle
Canterbury
Souths

They would also share a healthy rivalry with Easts as a fellow foundation club.

and Parramatta...

In fact they would get good crowds against teams that have fans living on the Central Coast and from travelling fans who are under an hour away... unless it was raining, at the wrong time, the team wasn't winning or masterchef was on

Last edited:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Some of those players were not good enough for the NRL the first time around. I think the "signing from other codes" is a bit of a pipe dream to be honest.

I think the code is a lot weaker this year than it has been in previous years. Spread that talent over another two teams, get a few stars back from England but fill the majority from NSWRL and QLD Cup and NYC and see the quality of play get worse.

Lets get 16 strong teams first and then look to expansion.

Every year players leave.. every year kids step up to the plate. If this year is such a weak comp then why is it yet another tight comp where anyone between 1-12 can still win it all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts