What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...relies-on-growth/story-e6frg7mf-1225910105698

EXPANSION frontrunners yesterday warned any delay past 2013 could have a damaging effect on the game's growth in those areas.

Central Coast and Perth responded to an article in The Australian yesterday in which Gold Coast chief Michael Searle warned the game might not be ready to expand until at least 2017.

Searle, a proclaimed expansionist, said any decision should be the domain of the game's soon to be formed independent commission and would also be tied to the revenue generated from the next television rights deal after it expires at the end of 2012.

Central Coast general manager Greg Florimo said the Bears' bid was geared towards 2013 and any delay would force the franchise to reconsider its position.

"We've all been focused on 2013 for a number of reasons," Florimo said.
"There will be an injection of finances into the game with the new broadcasting agreement and hopefully that agreement will bring extra value to the game.

"(NRL chief executive) David Gallop has said himself if we were to expand we'd consider it for 2013, so we're counting on that as a target and a date for us."

West Australian chief executive John Sackson said any delay to push the date back would hurt the game's growth in that state.

He added the inclusion of new franchises could prove beneficial in negotiations for the next TV rights deal as it would open up new markets.

"I understand what Michael is saying and Michael has obviously been through it, but

I'm sure he can relate to the amount of energy, money, passion that we're injecting into constructing a compelling bid," Sackson said.

"His comments don't change our resolve, or our focus, or our determination to get into the NRL because the West Australian market is ripe for rugby league, it's ripe for an NRL franchise."

Having pushed for the Titans' inclusion in 2007, Searle said the game needed to sort out other issues first, including guaranteeing the financial security of existing clubs.

It is understood most chief executives share Searle's concerns but have yet to go public.

Central Coast and Perth are believed to have the edge over Ipswich and Central Queensland when the NRL expands.

Both are hoping to have an answer midway through next season.

Florimo added any delay in expansion would be hard for fans given they have been waiting for their own team since the failed Northern Eagles folded in 2002.

The Bears gave their best advertisement for inclusion when a sell-out crowd packed Bluetongue Stadium for the match between Manly and Wests Tigers.

"We've certainly built our fans up to expect 2013 is the date, so if that wasn't the case, some would certainly have something to say," Florimo said.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Here we go with club chairmen looking to feather their own nest first and influence the IC before it's even formed. Ultimately as long as one extra game a week is worth $10mill a year then it is a cost neutral exercise at worse.

adamkungl

Immortal
If it isn't happening, Gallop should just come out and say it. Millions of dollars are being put into these bids.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
If it isn't happening, Gallop should just come out and say it. Millions of dollars are being put into these bids.

I will take the NRL to court of behalf of the Perth & CC bids if it doesn't happen. I already friends in the legal system on notice and the research on the appropriate laws and legislations concerning the matter is being done as we speak.

We are leaving nothing to chance this time.

applesauce

Bench
I will take the NRL to court of behalf of the Perth & CC bids if it doesn't happen. I already friends in the legal system on notice and the research on the appropriate laws and legislations concerning the matter is being done as we speak.

We are leaving nothing to chance this time.

:lol:

Red&BlackBear

First Grade

What's so funny? Souths did it through the courtrooms. Maybe the fact that I said it on the internet makes it funny? Well sometimes people in life get lucky and I'm lucky that my girlfriends family has some serious clout in Sydney and luckier that her favorite aunt, Denise, is a supreme court judge and an ex. barrister and more importantly an old BEARS supporter. Flo & bid management know the deal, that's all that matters to me.:lol:

dannyboy

Juniors
Is the only central coast option a "Bears" one? I regularly hear of central coast dwellers wanting their OWN team, not a relocated ex-Sydney centric team bringing its colours, name and baggage. If its to be a new team then shouldn't it have a new moniker and skin colour?

Is the only central coast option a "Bears" one? I regularly hear of central coast dwellers wanting their OWN team, not a relocated ex-Sydney centric team bringing its colours, name and baggage. If its to be a new team then shouldn't it have a new moniker and skin colour?

Nope Bears have done the hard yards. Everyone i know wants the BEARS in

Red&BlackBear

First Grade

To have a bid you need time, money and commitment. Only the BEARS bid have all three. People need to realize the BEARS are their own CC team. Why else would the BEARS be spending so much time and dedication on the CC, if it's not for the locals? Makes no sense other wise.

These people who keep bagging the BEARS bid are the same people who sit at home and do sweet F.A. but criticize others on their hard work. Their opinions aren't important and have no bearing on the continuous work being done or the final outcome on expansion.

In saying that, should their mind's eye open and they realize the great work being put in and how committed the CCBEARS are, then great. More fans.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member

There's no other consortium standing up, putting together a business plan, forming a membership strategy and drive, building corporate support... if there was, I'm sure the people of the Coast may just support that.

Instead the Bears have done all those "hard-yards" and deservedly have the support of the Central Coast community... depending who you speak to though. Some would have you believe the whole Coast wants the Bears to f**k off. That is certainly not the case.

applesauce

Bench
What's so funny? Souths did it through the courtrooms. Maybe the fact that I said it on the internet makes it funny? Well sometimes people in life get lucky and I'm lucky that my girlfriends family has some serious clout in Sydney and luckier that her favorite aunt, Denise, is a supreme court judge and an ex. barrister and more importantly an old BEARS supporter. Flo & bid management know the deal, that's all that matters to me.:lol:

I want the Bears in. :)

But I find it hilarious every Bears fan thinks it's their god given right to have this CC team given a licence in 2013.

Please tell me how your legislative might will get you in with a court battle? Souths were in the comp and then went to court soon after, the bears have been dead for years (NRL wise). Besides the Souths verdict (and some people would argue that it wasn't a good one) we all know how good court battles are for the code, the parties involved and most importantly the fans.

The more I hear of this one-eyed "me me me" bullsh*t from the Bears fans makes me think maybe the Sea Eagles would of been the perfect fit for your breed and it is this attitude that is slowly turning me off the idea.

dannyboy

Juniors
There's no other consortium standing up, putting together a business plan, forming a membership strategy and drive, building corporate support... if there was, I'm sure the people of the Coast may just support that.

Instead the Bears have done all those "hard-yards" and deservedly have the support of the Central Coast community... depending who you speak to though. Some would have you believe the whole Coast wants the Bears to f**k off. That is certainly not the case.

And so the old boy nostalgic Sydney centric supporter club continues.
I get that its only the bears that are making the effort and more power to them for it - I just don't see the merit in inviting a new (lol) team into a comp already fat with sydney teams when that new team is historically yet another sydney team.
Don't get me wrong, my formative years as a supporter was the Sydney only comp and I'd left school well before the comp expanded past the then Sydney Basin. Names like Bears and Jets are part of my football following history (as a rival fan)....but thats the main word - 'history'
I just think that the CC team if it is admitted should be a completely new entity else maybe the new openings should go to places like Perth & Sunshine Coast that don't have so much football on the doorstep

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
And so the old boy nostalgic Sydney centric supporter club continues.
I get that its only the bears that are making the effort and more power to them for it - I just don't see the merit in inviting a new (lol) team into a comp already fat with sydney teams when that new team is historically yet another sydney team.
Don't get me wrong, my formative years as a supporter was the Sydney only comp and I'd left school well before the comp expanded past the then Sydney Basin. Names like Bears and Jets are part of my football following history (as a rival fan)....but thats the main word - 'history'
I just think that the CC team if it is admitted should be a completely new entity else maybe the new openings should go to places like Perth & Sunshine Coast that don't have so much football on the doorstep

old boy nostalgic Sydney centric supporter club?

I'm born and bred on the Central Coast, never gave two f**ks about North Sydney and probably never will. I am already a paid member of the Central Coast Bears.

Your views on why there shouldn't be a Bears team on the Coast seem pretty thin. There are hundreds of reasons for and very few against.

mightybears

Bench

Two things:

You may think the 'pipes are calling' for another CC Bid, but its never reared its head ever, we are the only game in town re the CC and NRL,

and

Are you a MW supporter?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't see how you could launch legal action? Gallop has been very careful to say that there is no guarantee of expansion and unless they call for official bids then they are not guranteeing it. I would love you to be succesful though! Hopefully it won;t come to that and the TV deal will more than cover expansion AND increasing the grant to clubs.

Expansion will cost around $10mill a year. For the 16 clubs that is $625,000 less in a grant rather than if there was no expansion (doubtful of course that the money would be the same without expansion and the extra game). To put it into context if clubs increased their avg attendance by 1500 fans a game it would be the same amount!

Red Bear

Referee
Just a quick message in here. I like to stay out of this thread (unless someone writes utter crap that needs to be dismantled) because, frankly, whilst im excited at the possibilities of the future, im both far too biased and far too pessimistic to be of proper discussion here.

Just like to mention that my Grandfather recently died. If it wasnt for him I wouldnt be a Bears fan, his dad was a massive fan, it got passed onto my dad and i ended up running with the family as well. We had many great times sitting in the O'Reilly stand at North Sydney Oval, wathcing the mighty bears. It was with him that I saw my last ever Norths match of them in the top grade, when they got beaten by Newcastle in 1999. He bought me the Bears flag thats still prominant in my room that day. It was mentioned in his tribute how he was a keen Bears fan.

This is what this club means to people and this is what the NRL can never kill and never take away.

Do the right thing David. Bring back the mighty Bears

bobmar28

Bench
Just a quick message in here. I like to stay out of this thread (unless someone writes utter crap that needs to be dismantled) because, frankly, whilst im excited at the possibilities of the future, im both far too biased and far too pessimistic to be of proper discussion here.

Just like to mention that my Grandfather recently died. If it wasnt for him I wouldnt be a Bears fan, his dad was a massive fan, it got passed onto my dad and i ended up running with the family as well. We had many great times sitting in the O'Reilly stand at North Sydney Oval, wathcing the mighty bears. It was with him that I saw my last ever Norths match of them in the top grade, when they got beaten by Newcastle in 1999. He bought me the Bears flag thats still prominant in my room that day. It was mentioned in his tribute how he was a keen Bears fan.

This is what this club means to people and this is what the NRL can never kill and never take away.

Do the right thing David. Bring back the mighty Bears

I think everyone agrees the Bears should be back in the comp at CC. The problem is it can't happen unless there is a reduction in the number of Sydney teams, that would free up a franchise for the CC. There are already too many teams in the Sydney area.

Bro Bear

Juniors
The NRL may have a majority of teams from the Sydney basin but this is where most of the rugby league followers are from. The NRL can sustain another NSW team and that being the CC Bears. Give 5 - 10 years and the population of Sydney/Central Coast/Newcastle/Illawarra regions will be about 20% more than what it is now. The Central Coast is screaming out for a team. No other Sydney Club wanted to move there on a full time basis, they all wanted to stay in their own location. Only the Bears since 1998 HAVE wanted to be on the Central Coast on a fulltime basis.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Surely there's nothing stating that just because 10 people work for a company and live in the same suburb, that you can't hire someone new on the basis that they too live in that suburb. If the best person/bid is from that suburb then so be it. Keep post codes for mail, not to judge who gets the gig. If the shoe fits then it fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts