What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think there are prob a few nervous Sydney clubs who fear that a succesful CC Bears could be bigger and better supported than them maybe?

dgsfan

Juniors
If that would be the case they should not be considered until a Sydney team folds. Expansion is not about cannibalising current teams.

adamkungl

Immortal
You can just see the bears about to get dudded again by some pissy 6 month QLD bid...because "QLD is RL heartland"

I'd like to see the Bears and Perth as our next two NRL teams.

The CC should have their own team and it should be the Bears. There are no excuses any more that wash for mine. They're in a heartland area, they've ticked all the boxes and they work their arses off.

Part of the problem for me is that the Bears have worked so long and so hard at getting everything right it would be a travesty if they missed out to a team who have done 1/10th the work.

It would mean that in the future, doing all the hard work is a waste of time so why would anyone bother to do the hard slog when they can just put their hand up at the last minute?

bobmar28

Bench
I'd say for all the people who are screaming out for a team, all the sponsors who want to invest in our game and the cc through the CCBears. All the members who have paid hard earned cash. All the kids who have seen the possibility of a local team of their own with local heroes. All the Bears fans who just want their team back and in return will start followng the nrl again.

We have the business plan.
We have major sponsors.
We have local business sponsors.
We have foundation members ($5000 pp).
We have over 4100 memberships and growing.
We have the juniors.
We have the population.
We have a stadium.
We have the local interest.
We have plans on how to grow the NRL pie.
We have supporters and fans ready.
We have identity.
We are ready.

Yes, you do have all that. The only problem is NSW already has too many teams. QLD doesn't have enough and WA has none.

Goddo

Bench
I'd like to see the Bears and Perth as our next two NRL teams.

The CC should have their own team and it should be the Bears. There are no excuses any more that wash for mine. They're in a heartland area, they've ticked all the boxes and they work their arses off.

Part of the problem for me is that the Bears have worked so long and so hard at getting everything right it would be a travesty if they missed out to a team who have done 1/10th the work.

It would mean that in the future, doing all the hard work is a waste of time so why would anyone bother to do the hard slog when they can just put their hand up at the last minute?

Its not about trying hard. Its about being in a location that adds the most to the over all competition.

Why is this so hard for Bears fans to admit? Yes, its a good bid, but compared to a solid bid from Perth and Brisbane, the CC is a poor option. FACT. That is nothing personal. Its just a fact that the CC is inferior.

The Bears should be brought in only in the event of a Sydney team relocating interstate or folding. They should have first dibs on any such licence.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Because our bid has more signitures of the dotted lines then anyone else. including current nrl teams. By that I mean cheques from sponsors, memberships, junior programs and community initiatives.

We have a war chest ready of equity and we have one of the best business models. Think greenbay packers in the NFL. We have the population to boot to and people genuinely want a team. If the locals get shafted again then I predict within 7 years that the cc will be an afl/soccer heartland and will be lost to rugby league. Then in 10years time when the cc pop is half a mil alone, the true ramifications of not going there will be seen. By that time all the cc rl juniors will be a thing of the past.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Yes, you do have all that. The only problem is NSW already has too many teams. QLD doesn't have enough and WA has none.

Well then it's up to those areas to get their butts into action isn't it? Titans set the benchmark and the CCBears have met it. If these other areas haven't shown half the interest then why should they get a team?it's up to their bid team to engage in the community but they haven't. It's up to them to build a good business model but they haven't.

You can either take in someone for the job who is ready or someone who is half ready. Half ready is associated with loss of profits before you gain any. Ready is streaming revenue from the outset. If you feel so passionate about Ipswich or central qld bobmar then get off your ass and start membership drives and community initiatives. Like us ccbears fans have.

Its not about trying hard. Its about being in a location that adds the most to the over all competition.

Why is this so hard for Bears fans to admit? Yes, its a good bid, but compared to a solid bid from Perth and Brisbane, the CC is a poor option. FACT. That is nothing personal. Its just a fact that the CC is inferior.

The Bears should be brought in only in the event of a Sydney team relocating interstate or folding. They should have first dibs on any such licence.

Fact? :lol:

Fact my arse.

The Bears should be the next team in the NRL.

The Central Coast is Rugby League territory and they've shown that they're more than ready for a team. They have a stadium, a good fan base and have been more than willing to stick their bums on the seats of their stadium to watch other teams over the years.

They will also be able to draw travelling fans, as they do now, something which Perth won't be able to do.

As for any new Queensland team, Queenlanders don't seem to be able to work out where it should be based.

And I'm not a Bears fan.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Posted and discussed over 24 hours ago. Welcome to December ;-)
If that would be the case they should not be considered until a Sydney team folds. Expansion is not about cannibalising current teams.
Why on earth not? If the NRL can shed deadwood by bringing in a strong team then that would be a smart business move.
This "QLD doesn't have enough" argument is interesting.

Apart from the lack of quality bids (CQ is the best bet at the moment and is yet to tick A LOT of the boxes), how do we know Queensland's smaller population can sustain more teams? Brisbane is the key strength in Queensland at the moment, with the Titans and Cowboys' support in decline at the moment.

Talons

Juniors
Fact? :lol:

Fact my arse.

The Bears should be the next team in the NRL.

The Central Coast is Rugby League territory and they've shown that they're more than ready for a team. They have a stadium, a good fan base and have been more than willing to stick their bums on the seats of their stadium to watch other teams over the years.

They will also be able to draw travelling fans, as they do now, something which Perth won't be able to do.

As for any new Queensland team, Queenlanders don't seem to be able to work out where it should be based.

And I'm not a Bears fan.

Just out of interest what team do you support ?

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Central Coast Bears
Membership Drive TODAY

Where: BEST AND LESS ( Erina Fair )
Time: 5pm - 8pm
All those signing up for membership at Erina today will go into the draw to win an XBOX 360 so come along and sign up the family for xmas and become part of the fastest growing sporting club in Australia.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/12/02/why-an-independent-commission-is-crucial-for-the-game/

Why the Commission is crucial for the NRL

The report that many of the Sydney Club CEO’s are not in favour of a Central Coast Bears team in the competition is predictable and should come as no surprise to any follower of the game or the expansion debate.

It is the perfect demonstration of why a truly independent commission is crucial to move the game forward by removing blatant self-interest.

The report comes just days after glowing reports on the progress of the Bears bid – an underwrite guarantee of $10 million by Mortgage House, which ensures the bids financial longevity.

Add to this the exponential growth being achieved in membership numbers (over 4,100) and Facebook fan numbers (over 22,000), the Bears franchise would lay claim to being the fastest growing sporting entity in Australasia.

David Gallop has enthused openly about the prospects and appeal of this bid and therein lies the question – who is running the game?

The Clubs need to be strong and evenly balanced to have a viable competition. To achieve financial security they require funding to close the gap between NRL grants and their salary cap.

An enhanced TV rights deal will achieve this.

Add to this the soon-to-be-elected NSW State Opposition’s plan to reduce poker machine taxes on NSW sporting Clubs and projected cost savings of $10 million a year with an Independent Commission and there should end their demands on the administration.

It is the brief of the administration (and IC) to ensure the long-term viability of both the competition and the game. The competition will soon be in a healthy state and the NRL will look to expansion into regions that can increase revenues – broadcasting rights, merchandising, memberships, tickets and corporate support.

The main four license bidders can all lay a claim towards achieving increased revenues, and the NRL (not clubs) have consistently stated there are no preferred tender locations – the best bid will get the nod and there are three that have developed grassroots support – Central Coast, Perth and Central Queensland.
Of these, only one is ‘new territory’ and appears to be a favourite due to the TV timeslots and ‘national’ branding possibilities for sponsors (Perth). The NRL, like any business, needs to balance a short term costly Perth entry with a no risk, low cost heartland bid.

So out of Central Queensland and Central Coast, who is the most ready for a team? Both are financial secure and are bring new sponsors to the table, so how about the other criteria?

Central Coast has been the favoured NRL site for expansion due to these advantages:

- Its possibility to reconnect with old Bears supporters in Sydney and elsewhere.
- Two magnificent grounds.
- Its potential for merchandise sales due to a large population and generational support.

- Proven support with over 4,100 financial members, more than a few NRL teams.
- Ticket sales, as attracting away fans is a major attraction.
- The need to counter the AFL’s growing presence in north and north west Sydney following the announcement of the GWS Giants AFL franchise.

The only question is then, would entry of the Bears weaken any NRL teams?

Certainly not in terms of sponsors as the Bears are bringing new sponsors into the game. An increase in interest in the game will increase the number of juniors playing, and so there will be ample supply for Manly and Newcastle to choose from – the Bears have no mortgage on every junior in the territory.

With Newcastle certain to sign up for the Tinkler rescue plan, their financial future will be secured and both Manly and Newcastle will benefit tremendously from the local rivalries that can be marketed and leveraged into increased memberships, merchandise and attendances for all three clubs.

Which brings us back to the crutch of the matter – why do some NRL clubs oppose the entry of the Bears? Two reasons, neither relevant to an IC:

- Ego.
- The requirement to become as professional as the Central Coast Bears and change a lifetime of poor business practice.

The IC will want strong, professional products. Central Coast, Perth and CQ can offer this. I would love to see a vision statement drawn up with entry in 2013 to the Bears and WA Reds, and provisional licences granted to CQ and a Brisbane model yet to be determined.

In 2015, these provisional licences can be reviewed as to progress and to see how the new teams have bedded down. This way new sponsors to the game will not be lost and the two teams that miss out this time can keep the momentum going and be all the stronger for it upon entry.

The IC cannot come soon enough!

dgsfan

Juniors
So say if a Blacktown bid started now for inclusion in a 2020 expanded comp we should give it to them just because they will have tried so hard, they're in a RL stronghold and because the have a lot of sponsors? I don't think that's how it works and hopefully the people up top see it that way.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
So say if a Blacktown bid started now for inclusion in a 2020 expanded comp we should give it to them just because they will have tried so hard, they're in a RL stronghold and because the have a lot of sponsors? I don't think that's how it works and hopefully the people up top see it that way.

Rubbish.
If the bid stacks up and gives the game more reach in its stronghold, then all the better.

the big argument against expansion (especially the CC Bears) are those incompetently run clubs (and fans) close to the brink for decades who would rather see the game wallow in a welfare state than grow stronger.

For those who argue " we should maintain current clubs for tradition etc; - well, the game showed in 1999 that this was crap when they tried to kill off Norths and Souths.

BuffaloRules

Coach

Apparently they are building a new stadium at Blacktown if Australia wins the world cup bid, so if they get the nod and 4,000 members, then using the CC as a model I would have to say yes...bring them in.

adamkungl

Immortal

Blacktown is within 20 mins of both Parramatta and Penrith. Terrible analogy. Gosford is 2 hrs from Manly and 1.5 hrs from Newcastle. Also, Norths never should have been booted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts