What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

macavity

Referee
dgsfan wins this thread - top posts.

So CC fans are holding the NRL ransom now, are they? Give us a team or we won't support you anymore. FFS grow up. You're in an area that already supports RL in a state that has over 60% of the current teams.

This.

Timbob, are you going to stop supporting the Dogs if the Bears don't get in? Will you stop supporting the Dogs if they do?

Because both arguments are being put forward by the Bears bid.

"Give the Central Coast their own team, or all the coasties will stop supporting the NRL teams they support now"

However, they also say.... "Give the Central Coast their own team, and all the coasties will stop supporting the NRL teams they support now"

:crazy:

Given coasties haven't turned their backs on their existing teams en masse, it would seem both statements are false.

mightybears

Bench
Can't wait for it not to happen, now. You guys can f**k off and follow AFL if you want. Fact is NSW has 10 teams out of 16 and you want to make it 11? What's the point? You will; just be taking support away from existing teams.

maybe you should have a look at fumbleball, as you have no idea about rugby league culture.

Talons

Juniors
Things are heating up!
THE Sea Eagles and Bears - fierce northside rivals for more than 50 years - have resumed hostilities.

Manly are furious the Bears are attempting to prevent the Brookvale club from promoting the game in the Asquith and Berowra areas, a traditional North Sydney district.
Central Coast Bears CEO Greg Florimo said the Upper North Shore remained his club's territory "according to the boundaries".
Manly claim the Bears are now on the Central Coast and have no right to claim Sydney's North Shore.
The Sea Eagles are planning to send in their star players to promote rugby league at a NSWRL community carnival for kids early next year.
"Manly have focused on the Upper North Shore clubs like Berowra," Florimo said.
"We were asked whether they could come into those schools and areas and, as a whole, the answer is no.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

Related Coverage

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"We are trying to promote our brand name in those areas - not Manly's brand.
"It is a traditional [Norths and rugby league] area.
"It is a good, strong rugby league district. We have given a lot of support to clubs in those areas."
Manly have privately questioned who Norths will send to the schools given the Bears do not have an NRL licence.
Central Coast officials claim their area stretches from Milsons Point to Lake Munmorah - and Manly should back off.
But banning Manly players from attending the carnival will only damage the kids and rugby league, according to Sea Eagles chairman Scott Penn.
"The kids shouldn't suffer," Penn said. "It is an NSWRL junior development program, so we should have first bite given the Bears do not currently have an NRL licence.
"I'm sure the NSWRL will want an NRL team promoting the game. We are not looking for a fight with a non-existent NRL club.
"The GWS AFL franchise isn't far from the Upper North Shore. The Lower North Shore is rugby union, the Upper North Shore is rugby league.
"We are getting a multitude of players from that area and we will continue to do so.
"Youngsters from Berowra and Asquith areas are welcome and, indeed, play in our junior competitions.
"We will continue to welcome and encourage them.
"Young people need a pathway to the NRL and Manly can provide that.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...orthern-turf-war/story-e6frexni-1225964855717

mightybears

Bench
Brisbane's crowds are the highest they've been in years. I think the current CEOs have a little more information than we do, and if they feel that a CC team would negatively effect other NSW teams then I don't think they should be admitted.

Sure, CC has the best bid atm, but the NRL hasn't even asked for bids yet. A rumour was going around that submissions would be called for mid next year. Bears fans have counted their eggs before they have hatched, I feel, and those eggs will soon be over all of their faces soon enough.

yeah mate i've been counting them since 1999.

juro

Bench
I'd be happy to see the CC Bears join the league, and am not a fan of Manly by any means, but think it is disgusting that the Bears are trying to block Manly from getting into schools.

At the moment there is no guarantee that the Bears will ever be in the NRL, so what right do they have to do this to a current NRL club??

bobmar28

Bench
Well then it's up to those areas to get their butts into action isn't it? Titans set the benchmark and the CCBears have met it. If these other areas haven't shown half the interest then why should they get a team?it's up to their bid team to engage in the community but they haven't. It's up to them to build a good business model but they haven't.

You can either take in someone for the job who is ready or someone who is half ready. Half ready is associated with loss of profits before you gain any. Ready is streaming revenue from the outset. If you feel so passionate about Ipswich or central qld bobmar then get off your ass and start membership drives and community initiatives. Like us ccbears fans have.

I'm not passionate about Ipswich or QLD but I am passionate about rugby league and where the game should be headed. That is QLD and Perth and in the future NZ, PNG, even Darwin some day.

That might seem like dots on a map but in my opinion that is what's needed. The game is evolving from a Sydney suburban competition to a national one and to put a 10th team in the Sydney region is the wrong way to go. IMO.

I might upset some people but I would like to see 2 Sydney teams merge to free up a franchise for the Bears. And that includes the Bulldogs.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Things are heating up!
THE Sea Eagles and Bears - fierce northside rivals for more than 50 years - have resumed hostilities.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...orthern-turf-war/story-e6frexni-1225964855717
This is one of the problems of the Bears bid. Is their interest in the Central Coast a genuine one or is their commitment to the the CC just one of convenience? Seems to me at heart they are still the North Sydney Bears and their commitment to the CC is purely to make their bid look sweeter and an expansion opportunity rather than NSB reentry. If they're fair dinkum about the CC just go there holus bolus - petty bullsh*t with Manly will do the bid no favours.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
http://www.theroar.com.au/2010/12/03/wedge-politics-at-play-on-the-central-coast/

Central Coast Bears played by politics
The divisive approach by opponents of the Central Coast Bears attempting to drive a wedge in the community has been revealed with a number of NRL clubs opposing the admission of any team on the Central Coast into the NRL in the future.
For a while now, debate has raged over which was the better model, a Central Coast Bears or a Central Coast stand alone model.
Opponents of the Bears bid say that a Central Coast-only model was superior due to the fact it would have less impact on Manly, as Manly would have access to the North Shore and Northern regions of Sydney.
As a Manly fan, I'm ashamed to say there are fans and representatives of both my club and Newcastle pushing this line.

Peter Peters last weekend even said he was happy to have a Central Coast only side in the competition. Nine days later, the truth has come out at the NRL conference at Byron Bay.
Manly does not want a team of ANY description on the Central Coast, hoping to divide the Bears region with Newcastle. A Central Coast only team,position was just a ploy to fracture Bears support on the Coast.

In effect, two weak teams are planning to feast on the body of what would be a much stronger, healthier animal. The problem is, they have been doing so for 11 years and both Manly and Newcastle are still struggling, badly servicing the former Bear and Central Coast territories.

So if the Central Coast has no team, long term there will still be two weak teams between the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the QLD border.

An Independent Commission surely must see the long term folly of this position, as AFL will surely advance and eventually capture the bulk of uncommitted sporting fans north of the harbour.
Anger on the Coast against Sydney-centric Clubs will be palpable at present. With only the Mariners as a local team to support, more Coasties will drift to soccer, particularly as real momentum and belief has been growing that finally, their time was approaching.

Ironically, as when Melbourne supporters united together this year in the face of perceived bias and actually grew their membership base, this treachery by the existing NRL clubs may in fact galvanise even more support for the Bears.
As everyone now can see unless this Bears bid is accepted, there will never be a Central Coast team. Ever.

If rejected, watch crowds start to inexorably decline at Bluetongue from 2012 onwards as interest from this heartland area declines. If there'sno prospect of ever getting a local NRL team, why not encourage the kids to play soccer instead for the Mariners?

I would love to see this bid succeed, if only because of the constant hurdles that have been put in its way since the Bears voted to move in 1997 to the Central Coast with the NRLs blessing and guarantees of never-failing support.

They've been let down by the games administrators, News Ltd, their own Board, the weather, the State Government and Manly, although for Manly it was a case of us or them.

This last point irks me. On my own clubs website it says how important it was to the establishment of Manly in 1947 that Norths willingly agreed to the breakup of its territory to create Manly for the good of the game.

I always enjoyed the fierce rivalry between the clubs and want to experience them anew. I want my club to show honour and return the debt it owes by supporting the Bears bid.

I support Manly on the field always, but I love the game more.

Administrators of my club and those opposing the Bears are just looking after themselves, not the game.

That's is from a Manly fan too. On the dailytelecraps article above, well in the decade the bears weren't around, manly didn't do much to get into these areas. Now that the ccbears bid is growing and becoming a potential threat. Manly realize that they lost an opportunity. Real talk. No manly hate.

We should work together for a change or risk both collapsing.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
This is one of the problems of the Bears bid. Is their interest in the Central Coast a genuine one or is their commitment to the the CC just one of convenience? Seems to me at heart they are still the North Sydney Bears and their commitment to the CC is purely to make their bid look sweeter and an expansion opportunity rather than NSB reentry. If they're fair dinkum about the CC just go there holus bolus - petty bullsh*t with Manly will do the bid no favours.

we have said all along and the nrl have acknowledged all along that the ccbears bid also covers the north shore.

Also before people beat up the bears vs manly story. Remember manly had an entire decade to go to these areas. How convinient is it that they only go now when the ccbears bid has momentum and members. They had all of last year and the years before that. The ccbears have been at these schools with the ccmariners for over a year now. I think manly are looking after themselves then crying out like the kid who got the dirty done on him even though he started it or in this case didn't initiate these school
programs.

Don't believe me? Search this thread and you will find links to articles from last year where the ccbears are in the ns and cc schools.

On a side note the last time manly held a membership drive on the ns they go no members. Last timethe ccbears held a membership drive on the ns we got 200 peole.

Last edited:

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
we have said all along and the nrl have acknowledged all along that the ccbears bid also covers the north shore.

Also before people beat up the bears vs manly story. Remember manly had an entire decade to go to these areas. How convinient is it that they only go now when the ccbears bid has momentum and members. They had all of last year and the years before that. The ccbears have been at these schools with the ccmariners for over a year now. I think manly are looking after themselves then crying out like the kid who got the dirty done on him even though he started it or in this case didn't initiate these school
programs.

Don't believe me? Search this thread and you will find links to articles from last year where the ccbears are in the ns and cc schools.

On a side note the last time manly held a membership drive on the ns they go no members. Last timethe ccbears held a membership drive on the ns we got 200 peole.
Mate I acknowledge the work that the bid team has put in and you personally for keeping this forum updated on progress. But petty arguing with Manly regardless of who started it will not help the bears cause. Yes, I know there is a long and intense rivalry and a lot of bitterness via the Northern Eagles debarcle. But if you're seriously a new club have a new start in how you deal with Manly. Greg Florimo's comments detract from your strong work on the CC.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
Mate I acknowledge the work that the bid team has put in and you personally for keeping this forum updated on progress. But petty arguing with Manly regardless of who started it will not help the bears cause. Yes, I know there is a long and intense rivalry and a lot of bitterness via the Northern Eagles debarcle. But if you're seriously a new club have a new start in how you deal with Manly. Greg Florimo's comments detract from your strong work on the CC.

Well souths shouldve stopped their rivalry with easts upon returning to the comp. This is healthy for the game but the journos have beat the story up abit. I'm not arguing with anyone personally and I'm sure flo just sees it like most do. Manly had a decade to initiate activities on the NS and the fact remains besides the odd one community event, they stayed home at manly. The timing of it all is what bothers flo and many ccbears fans.

Personally? It's been a baddish week media wise and you have to expect that. Regardless if you're a bid or a team. We will just keep working hard and try not to be suckered into bs like this. Purposely started to make us look bad. It's ok though, the work will speak volumes for itself.

Go the Bears.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Well souths shouldve stopped their rivalry with easts upon returning to the comp. This is healthy for the game but the journos have beat the story up abit. I'm not arguing with anyone personally and I'm sure flo just sees it like most do. Manly had a decade to initiate activitie on the NS and the fact remains besides the odd one community event, they stayed home at manly. The timing of it all is what bothers flo and many ccbears fans.

Personally? It's been a baddish week media wise and you have to expect that. Regardless if you're a bid or a team. We will just keep working hard and try not to be suckered into bs like this. Purposely started to
make us look bad. It's ok though, the work will speak volumes for itself.

Go the Bears.
I agree it has been a bad week, but only 1 in a lot of good ones. Good luck with the bid and hard work.

Talons

Juniors
As stated before "I have no malice towards the Bears" and readily admit I am a Manly supporter (cue Ronnie) but I would be wrapped for the kids at any Manly Warringah school to get a visit from Benji Marshall, Nathan Hindmarsh, Darren Lockyer, the list is endless.
I hope for the sake of all clubs we can put we can find a little civility when it comes to kids kicking a footie around.

Last edited:

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
As stated before "I have no malice towards the Bears" and readily admit I am a Manly supporter (cue Ronnie) but I would be wrapped for the kids at any Manly Warringah school to get a visit from Benji Marshall, Nathan Hindmarsh, Darren Lockyer, the list is endless.
I hope for the sake of all clubs we can put we can find a little civility when it comes to kids kicking a footie around.

It is a little simplistic to use the "think of the children" argument here.

Your analogy invloves two NRL clubs.

The Bears situation is that they are bidding to get back into the NRL,and it is openly known that Manly are against this.

The Bears service these areas with their own players, also Fairleigh, Buettner, Daley, Taylor etc and through there relationship with Souths NRL players etc.

Why invite the enemy into the bedroom. When Manly will try and use this as an example of why we shouldnt get back in.

Sorry don't trust 'em, no offence.

applesauce

Bench
I haven't chosen where I stand with the CC. I can see both sides. The only bid I am sure we need is WA.

Other than that if I was a CC fan I would be nervous after last nights FIFA verdict...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts