What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talons

Juniors
If you want to live in a fantasy world then go ahead. I trust the people where i get my information from especially when it is straight from the horses mouth and not journalist who weren't there.

Let me get this straight, you can't provide a credible source of reference for a sweeping statement then accuse me of living in a fantasy land.

So I ask you one more time who is this trustworthy inside informant and please don't insult us further by saying you'd compromise yourself by naming names...still waiting !

BDGS

Bench

The Bears are at Erina Fair outside Dymocks, 52 new members in the first two hours. 2011, year of the Bear!!

Smokin Blonde :p

Let me get this straight, you can't provide a credible source of reference for a sweeping statement then accuse me of living in a fantasy land.

So I ask you one more time who is this trustworthy inside informant and please don't insult us further by saying you'd compromise yourself by naming names...still waiting !

Piss off, i'm not naming names. Unlike you i'd rather have inside news on as much as i can. Naming names is the only way of ensuring the opposite happens.

Obviously you don't have this problem because you are not trusted.

Beowulf

Juniors
G'day BDGS, thought I'd join this site to back you up re this bizarre anti-Bears sentiment!

I can confirm BDGS is correct but cannot reveal my source, but what happened at the Byron Bay meeting re expansion was this.
Different expansion scenarios were floated and in general, most expressed a desire to wait till 2014 or 2015 so they could reap the benefit of an expanded TV deal for a few years to improve their bottom line. The mood was along the lines of 'we'd rather not expand at all so we can have all this money, but I suppose we'll have no choice'.

When it came to individual bids, club comments were along self-interest lines, ie which bid wil impact on me. 2 Clubs expressed strong opposition to Central Coast (Manly & Newcastle), 2 expressed strong opposition to another Brisbane side (Broncos and Titans), 1 expressed mild opposition to CQLD (Cowboys) and 1 mild opposition to WA (Warriors - travel reasons). Tigers were indifferent to the Bears due to the number of fans they have on the Coast.

This self-interest is 1 reason an IC is coming into being - to stop self-interested Clubs hindering the games future. All of the above talk is 100% irrelevant anyway as its the IC who will decide on expansion. In meetings subsequent to the Byron Bay conference, the NRL I understand have been very happy with the progress of the bid and its the CFO and David Gallop who will have the ear of the IC.

Only one bid is anywhere near NRL compliant (the Bears). The Jets will be supplying a document on their bid in a few months, so they aren't really looking at entry for quite a few years to come. WA Reds and Central Queensland are duking it out for the other slot. A WA team is slight favourite due to TV timeslots and a stadium ready soon - the only possible spanner for WA Reds is the possibility the NRL may consider moving the Sharks to Perth, but I doubt it.

docbrown

Coach
Even if its 2014 instead of 2013, an agreement on the expansion clubs could be made in 2011 to fit in with the broadcast deal. At least under that scenario those new clubs would have an extra year to get ready and existing clubs would get one year's financial boost.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
G'day BDGS, thought I'd join this site to back you up re this bizarre anti-Bears sentiment!

I can confirm BDGS is correct but cannot reveal my source, but what happened at the Byron Bay meeting re expansion was this.
Different expansion scenarios were floated and in general, most expressed a desire to wait till 2014 or 2015 so they could reap the benefit of an expanded TV deal for a few years to improve their bottom line. The mood was along the lines of 'we'd rather not expand at all so we can have all this money, but I suppose we'll have no choice'.

When it came to individual bids, club comments were along self-interest lines, ie which bid wil impact on me. 2 Clubs expressed strong opposition to Central Coast (Manly & Newcastle), 2 expressed strong opposition to another Brisbane side (Broncos and Titans), 1 expressed mild opposition to CQLD (Cowboys) and 1 mild opposition to WA (Warriors - travel reasons). Tigers were indifferent to the Bears due to the number of fans they have on the Coast.

This self-interest is 1 reason an IC is coming into being - to stop self-interested Clubs hindering the games future. All of the above talk is 100% irrelevant anyway as its the IC who will decide on expansion. In meetings subsequent to the Byron Bay conference, the NRL I understand have been very happy with the progress of the bid and its the CFO and David Gallop who will have the ear of the IC.

Only one bid is anywhere near NRL compliant (the Bears). The Jets will be supplying a document on their bid in a few months, so they aren't really looking at entry for quite a few years to come. WA Reds and Central Queensland are duking it out for the other slot. A WA team is slight favourite due to TV timeslots and a stadium ready soon - the only possible spanner for WA Reds is the possibility the NRL may consider moving the Sharks to Perth, but I doubt it.

I take it the bit in bold wasn't discussed at the meeting?

Beowulf

Juniors
Even if its 2014 instead of 2013, an agreement on the expansion clubs could be made in 2011 to fit in with the broadcast deal. At least under that scenario those new clubs would have an extra year to get ready and existing clubs would get one year's financial boost.

Thats one possibilty, agree. Though as a Bear supporter, its a long time to wait! Certainty would however make contracting players easier, as some already have contracts covering 2013. That may be a compromise if the NRL has any doubts another team will be ready to enter with the Bears in 2013.

BDGS

Bench

Hey mate, welcome to this site. Be prepared to get whatever you say with or without sources totally thrown away due to people agendas getting the better of them.

On this topic after what you told me about the meeting and the limited information you did reveal to me i took a educated guess and went and got my own sources. I was however told not to mention which clubs were against which bids. Obviously your source did not make this arrangement with you :).

docbrown

Coach
Thats one possibilty, agree. Though as a Bear supporter, its a long time to wait! Certainty would however make contracting players easier, as some already have contracts covering 2013. That may be a compromise if the NRL has any doubts another team will be ready to enter with the Bears in 2013.

Well a bye for a year could work as a necessary evil, but 2 teams just make sense for the extra F2A game.

If only 1 club is ready in 2011, then award one spot and then review again in 2012 for the second spot.

The smartest thing though is to make sure its accounted for in any TV deal covering that period.

Beowulf

Juniors
Hey mate, welcome to this site. Be prepared to get whatever you say with or without sources totally thrown away due to people agendas getting the better of them.

On this topic after what you told me about the meeting and the limited information you did reveal to me i took a educated guess and went and got my own sources. I was however told not to mention which clubs were against which bids. Obviously your source did not make this arrangement with you :).

I only mention the clubs because its common knowledge out there now and I've heard it from a few places. Basically the NRL/IC won't give two hoots about the Clubs anyway! If they find strong bids that add value to the game, they'll be first in line. As we know, there's only 2 candidates.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Don't undertsand the Warriors travel issue, there is a direct flight from Auckland to Perth, takes 6 1/2 hours.

Sharks to Perth? If that is the credibility of your source then I'll take the rest with a pinch of salt as well.

Red Bear

Referee
6 1/2 hours is a pretty long flight PR, not easy to adjust to. Shouldnt stand in your way but I can understand the reservations.

Will be a helluva of home advantage should you get in however.

docbrown

Coach
Don't undertsand the Warriors travel issue, there is a direct flight from Auckland to Perth, takes 6 1/2 hours.

And only once at most during the regular season, if that.

Just of curiosity, what's the travel time from Melbourne to Townsville?

Perth Red

Post Whore
6 1/2 hours is a pretty long flight PR, not easy to adjust to. Shouldnt stand in your way but I can understand the reservations.

Will be a helluva of home advantage should you get in however.

Not when you live in Perth it's not!

They will only have to do it once a year, twice at most very rarely. Our netball team can handle it, I'm sure that big tough NRL players can! As this is second hand gossip I will take it with the credibility it deserves.

Status
Not open for further replies.