What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Juniors
So you agree QLD needs another team?

The NRL stated in 2010 that they have no preferred order of entry for expansion teams. They are encouraging bids in areas that have potential for inclusion, ie Central Coast, Perth, western brisbane corridor. They weren't even looking at CQ until D Gallop was impressed by his tour end of the year.

If there is no preferred order of entry, the successful tenders will be whoevers bid is most advanced and ticks all the boxes.

Everyone agrees there will be at least 1 more QLD team in the NRL at some point - the question is, is their bid superior to Central Coast or WA Reds for inclusion THIS TIME. If not this time, then obviously 1 or maybe even 2 QLD teams will enter next time IF they keep going and develop the bids.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Gary Freeman was pumping a Shark relocation big time second half of the season on Fox. Also yesterday on Sydney radio Sky Sports Radio, Jimmy Smith & Stuart Clark (the cricketer - a Sharks fan) were saying the Sharks are doomed long term so the NRL should relocate them. They also dissed the CC Bears bid, saying the NRL don't want them!

Muppet Freeman.. thats a great source, although he didnt mention a relocation to Perth apparently...

Maybe they could relocate to the Central Coast?

Your happy to quote Smith & Clark on the Sharks being doomed, but dismiss them when they bag off the Bears...

BuffaloRules

Coach
If there is no preferred order of entry, the successful tenders will be whoevers bid is most advanced and ticks all the boxes.

Everyone agrees there will be at least 1 more QLD team in the NRL at some point - the question is, is their bid superior to Central Coast or WA Reds for inclusion THIS TIME. If not this time, then obviously 1 or maybe even 2 QLD teams will enter next time IF they keep going and develop the bids.

I hate to be blunt, but the winning bid will be about which teams will bring in the most dollars, and a secondary consideration will be taking on/or consolidating areas against threats from other codes ( meaning AFL).

The Central Coast had the best bid the last time, and we know how that turned out...

supera

Juniors
i hope not... at some point the NRL has to get back to supporting it's heartland. it ripped the balls out it's heartland 15 years ago, and it hasn't reclaimed it - on the contrary, the NRL have become bigger ballbusters than ever at telling it's clubs to get its sh!t together (Sharks in particular).

as much as i think the WA Reds would be a good addition to the game, we have to support our heartland with Central Coast and Ipswich-Logan.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
i hope not... at some point the NRL has to get back to supporting it's heartland. it ripped the balls out it's heartland 15 years ago, and it hasn't reclaimed it - on the contrary, the NRL have become bigger ballbusters than ever at telling it's clubs to get its sh!t together (Sharks and Storm in particular).

as much as i think the WA Reds would be a good addition to the game, we have to support our heartland with Central Coast and Ipswich-Logan.

Lets just remember our supposed new "heartland" was the birthplace of what ripped our game apart. QLD certainly did not suffer from this ball ripping excercise, why would they rip their own balls off? If they have a bid that is up to scratch and one of the best two bids, fine we could admit them. If not they can wait.

Just because our new "heartland" want a team it doesn't mean we automatically give them one. If other bids are more advanced, in short better, reward those as they have done the hard work.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
well done on getting over 5000 members. Great effort by the Bears and the volunteer fans that are getting out there and doing their bit to get their club back in the NRL.

supera

Juniors
absolutely johnsy, i agree...

but my point is this... I was originally from Tasmania, so I've always watched with interest as the AFL rejects perfectly good submissions from Tasmania (one in about 1996, another one in about 2009) because Tassie is already a heartland - ie. the AFL don't believe there's any point putting another team there because everyone there already supports AFL, so the benefit is minimal. (GWS didn't even submit a proposal - in fact, GWS didn't even exist initially, except in the minds of the Globalists in the AFL!)

My point is that NRL should look after its heartland better than the AFL does. If Central Coasts bid sucks, sure, don't accept them. But if they have the best bid, they must be accepted - they shouldn't be turned down for the same reasons that Tassie were (because Central Coast is already a rugby league heartland) because it takes the region for granted and slaps the supporters of the game in that region right in the mouth.

Beowulf

Juniors
Muppet Freeman.. thats a great source, although he didnt mention a relocation to Perth apparently...

Maybe they could relocate to the Central Coast?

Your happy to quote Smith & Clark on the Sharks being doomed, but dismiss them when they bag off the Bears...

I'm not happy to quote Smith and Clark at all - I disagree with all their thoughts on Sharks, Reds and Bears. Sharks can sink or swim at Cronulla. They can't move to Gosford anyway because the Bears have the playing rights for another 10 or 11 years. Sharks fans wouldn't travel to the Coast and the Coast would reject them anyway. Plus they don't reconnect with northern Sydney so that suggestion is funny.

WA Reds and Central Coast Bears entry heals old wounds.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
absolutely johnsy, i agree...

but my point is this... I was originally from Tasmania, so I've always watched with interest as the AFL rejects perfectly good submissions from Tasmania (one in about 1996, another one in about 2009) because Tassie is already a heartland - ie. the AFL don't believe there's any point putting another team there because everyone there already supports AFL, so the benefit is minimal. (GWS didn't even submit a proposal - in fact, GWS didn't even exist initially, except in the minds of the Globalists in the AFL!)

My point is that NRL should look after its heartland better than the AFL does. If Central Coasts bid sucks, sure, don't accept them. But if they have the best bid, they must be accepted - they shouldn't be turned down for the same reasons that Tassie were (because Central Coast is already a rugby league heartland) because it takes the region for granted and slaps the supporters of the game in that region right in the mouth.

Well said, I just cannot fathom why supporters of the Ipswich bid they deserve a spot because they are in QLD. If they are good enough they'll get a side when the NRL deems it ready. I just can just imagine the hissy fits if they are not admitted in 2013.

In short the best bids will be admitted, just as it should be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Difficulty is, as the AFL know and act on, you can't put a team in every heartland area AND expand into non heartland areas to push your game into national prominence, which is what reaps great rewards. There's only so many teams you can have in one league and generally 16 is probably the ideal.

I agree Gosford would be a pretty good location for a regional heartland team but sadly it is in a heartland state that already has alot of teams. If we had the rest of the country sewn up and still had space to expand then it would make more sense.

In reality AFL could easily have put a 3rd team in Perth instead of GC and GWS. Would have been equally succesful as the other 2 have been and there is more than enough fans and $'s to support it. They didn't as they know they have heartlands like WA and Tassie sewn up and know that NSW and Q'land are the big financial rewards in the long term.

Beowulf

Juniors
well done on getting over 5000 members. Great effort by the Bears and the volunteer fans that are getting out there and doing their bit to get their club back in the NRL.

Cheers mate. How's it coming along with the bid - we both need each other up to speed for a 2013 entry!

_Johnsy

Referee
Thats why I believe they'll admit WA (new area) & CC (heartland).

2nd Brisbane side (playing out of Suncorp) will be next in line.

It's no secret - when the Sharks had their latest financial woes 18 months ago and when the Storm rort blew up last year, the Bears were contacted by the NRL asking if they could be ready to field a team within 1 year if required.

Oh whatever....

Now let me give you some news.
Not only are we going to be in this competition we are going to be one of the very strong and financially sound Clubs in the NRL.

Keep an eye in the media in coming months.

Sorry to disappoint all the Central Coast Bears supporters. Lol.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Oh whatever....

Not only are we going to be in this competition we are going to be one of the very strong and financially sound Clubs in the NRL.

Hooray! Good to know we'll have another 44 years of being a wooden spoon contender in our comp. That is unless you f**k up this development deal like you have so many others and go back to surviving day to day.

Hooray! Good to know we'll have another 44 years of being a wooden spoon contender in our comp. That is unless you f**k up this development deal like you have so many others and go back to surviving day to day.

Hardly 44 years of wooden spoon contender arsewipe.

Hope Russell Crowe is in good health.......

BDGS

Bench
Oh do tell!

The NRL put the Central Coast Bears on standby, once in 2009 when Cronulla looked like they were going to fall over financially and once again in 2010 the week the Storm cap crisis came out in the media.

Where are they going to play?

In a Stadium build or them in their area and not in an already existing stadium that is the home of another NRL team and out of their area.

So you agree QLD needs another team?

Yes, most definitely. Timing though is a factor and i'd rather wait and get these crucial QLD Bids right instead of rushing them in especially when there is two bids that will be ready for 2013.

Gary Freeman was pumping a Shark relocation big time second half of the season on Fox. Also yesterday on Sydney radio Sky Sports Radio, Jimmy Smith & Stuart Clark (the cricketer - a Sharks fan) were saying the Sharks are doomed long term so the NRL should relocate them. They also dissed the CC Bears bid, saying the NRL don't want them!

Shows how little they know....Central Coast Bears and WA Reds for 2013.

hahaha. Stick to cricket Clark.

It's no secret - when the Sharks had their latest financial woes 18 months ago and when the Storm rort blew up last year, the Bears were contacted by the NRL asking if they could be ready to field a team within 1 year if required.

yeah, i had a quick look for the article, can't seem to find them though.

I hate to be blunt, but the winning bid will be about which teams will bring in the most dollars, and a secondary consideration will be taking on/or consolidating areas against threats from other codes ( meaning AFL).

The Central Coast had the best bid the last time, and we know how that turned out...

The Central Coast bid last time lacked community input and financial sustainability. It was based on a rich man and a petition. It was by far not the best NRL bid in that round and the GC eventually got their deserved spot.

Oh whatever....

haha no idea.:lol:

BunniesMan

Immortal
Hardly 44 years of wooden spoon contender arsewipe.

Hope Russell Crowe is in good health.......
Actors have to have complete physicals before every major movie to get insurance, so I'm sure he's doing fine. And one day when he does die I'm sure he's teaching his son the greatness of Souths so while Rusty will be in charge for our 30th premiership, his son will be in charge for our 40th. Which will be 40 more than the Sharks have.

Status
Not open for further replies.