What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beowulf

Juniors
The IC in conjunction with David Gallop and the CFO will have to look at every single option re expansion. I personally think they'll go CC Bears and WA Reds, however they must undertake due diligence on all bids - until all the bids are submitted for review and the talks with TV execs in full swing, no one really knows how strong each bid option is. The only concrete thing we know is that Central Coast will be ready, WA Reds are aiming for 2013, and the QLD bids won't be ready till 2014 or 2015. If WA Reds can get their financial package so strong it gets the tick of the NRL's CFO, I think they'll get the OK and any media talk of a Sharks relocation will end.

bobmar28

Bench
G'day BDGS, thought I'd join this site to back you up re this bizarre anti-Bears sentiment!

I can confirm BDGS is correct but cannot reveal my source, but what happened at the Byron Bay meeting re expansion was this.
Different expansion scenarios were floated and in general, most expressed a desire to wait till 2014 or 2015 so they could reap the benefit of an expanded TV deal for a few years to improve their bottom line. The mood was along the lines of 'we'd rather not expand at all so we can have all this money, but I suppose we'll have no choice'.

When it came to individual bids, club comments were along self-interest lines, ie which bid wil impact on me. 2 Clubs expressed strong opposition to Central Coast (Manly & Newcastle), 2 expressed strong opposition to another Brisbane side (Broncos and Titans), 1 expressed mild opposition to CQLD (Cowboys) and 1 mild opposition to WA (Warriors - travel reasons). Tigers were indifferent to the Bears due to the number of fans they have on the Coast.

This self-interest is 1 reason an IC is coming into being - to stop self-interested Clubs hindering the games future. All of the above talk is 100% irrelevant anyway as its the IC who will decide on expansion. In meetings subsequent to the Byron Bay conference, the NRL I understand have been very happy with the progress of the bid and its the CFO and David Gallop who will have the ear of the IC.

Only one bid is anywhere near NRL compliant (the Bears). The Jets will be supplying a document on their bid in a few months, so they aren't really looking at entry for quite a few years to come. WA Reds and Central Queensland are duking it out for the other slot. A WA team is slight favourite due to TV timeslots and a stadium ready soon - the only possible spanner for WA Reds is the possibility the NRL may consider moving the Sharks to Perth, but I doubt it.

So the Jets are going to all this trouble and expense just so they have a chance at getting a franchise in 2018?

BuffaloRules

Coach
The IC in conjunction with David Gallop and the CFO will have to look at every single option re expansion. I personally think they'll go CC Bears and WA Reds, however they must undertake due diligence on all bids - until all the bids are submitted for review and the talks with TV execs in full swing, no one really knows how strong each bid option is. The only concrete thing we know is that Central Coast will be ready, WA Reds are aiming for 2013, and the QLD bids won't be ready till 2014 or 2015. If WA Reds can get their financial package so strong it gets the tick of the NRL's CFO, I think they'll get the OK and any media talk of a Sharks relocation will end.

Why wont the Qld bids be ready until 2014?

Agree with the bolded parts. This means that the NRL IC needs to consider which two bids will bring in the most money for the competition - the differences will mostly be through what combination of bids will attract the highest TV rights...

So do you agree that if two other bids other than the CC are shown to be most profitable when the review process is conducted, then these two teams should get the nod?

Beowulf

Juniors
So the Jets are going to all this trouble and expense just so they have a chance at getting a franchise in 2018?

They have said themselves they're not looking to come in till 2015. They are only at the intital stages, like where Central Coast were 2-3 years agao and CQLD and Perth 1-2 years ago. CQLD ahve said 2014 at earliest, WA reds are hopeful of being ready by 2013 and the Bears have already been put on standby twice in the past year, for Sharks and Storm.

Beowulf

Juniors
Why wont the Qld bids be ready until 2014?

Agree with the bolded parts. This means that the NRL IC needs to consider which two bids will bring in the most money for the competition - the differences will mostly be through what combination of bids will attract the highest TV rights...

So do you agree that if two other bids other than the CC are shown to be most profitable when the review process is conducted, then these two teams should get the nod?

See other reply - other bids have said themselves they won't be ready for 2013. CQLD don't even have a stadium - they are relying on a QLD Labor Govt grant, and Jets are at premiliminary stage only. It takes min 3 years to get NRL compliant - am a volunteer for the Bears bid and I see all the toing and froing with the NRL thats involved. They are very, very cautious when it comes to adding new teams -seeing soccers expansion problems i can't blame them!

Note WA Reds and Bears are going financial memberships with the NRL's blessing.....why would they do that, knowing the outrage that will ensue with a rejection?

If two bids are presented that are superior to the Bears bid then they should get in, but they're going to have to be outstanding to do that! By offering financial memberships, it PROVES to the NRL that people are willing to vote with their wallets to get their team - they have invested. A petition style doesn't cut it. The Bears could get 100,000 signatures but what does that prove? 5,000 financial members, already more than 3 NRL teams without a licence yet - now that PROVES a market. The Bears are trying to remove all the question marks.

By superior, it means the product must be nett profitable, sustainable, marketable after taking into consideration any collateral damage to existing clubs (e.g Manly & Newcastle for Bears, Broncos & Titans for Jets, Cowboys for CQLD). There must be no question marks. By nett don't forget costs incurred by existing teams and fans in travelling and accommodation to the new franchises, plus away fans a team can bring to games.

These last points are huge pluses for the Bears, considering the relative proximity of most teams and a national fan base. The other huge pluses for the Bears are merchandising potential with a heritage brand, access to 2 outstanding existing stadiums and a rock-solid financial base. Being ready for 2013 means the NRL can maximise the TV deal by offering 1 extra game from 2013 IF another team can get ready for 2013...Perth look best placed at present.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
See other reply - other bids have said themselves they won't be ready for 2013. CQLD don't even have a stadium - they are relying on a QLD Labor Govt grant, and Jets are at premiliminary stage only. It takes min 3 years to get NRL compliant - am a volunteer for the Bears bid and I see all the toing and froing with the NRL thats involved. They are very, very cautious when it comes to adding new teams -seeing soccers expansion problems i can't blame them!

Note WA Reds and Bears are going financial memberships with the NRL's blessing.....why would they do that, knowing the outrage that will ensue with a rejection?

If two bids are presented that are superior to the Bears bid then they should get in, but they're going to have to be outstanding to do that! By offering financial memberships, it PROVES to the NRL that people are willing to vote with their wallets to get their team - they have invested. A petition style doesn't cut it. The Bears could get 100,000 signatures but what does that prove? 5,000 financial members, already more than 3 NRL teams without a licence yet - now that PROVES a market. The Bears are trying to remove all the question marks.

By superior, it means the product must be nett profitable, sustainable, marketable after taking into consideration any collateral damage to existing clubs (e.g Manly & Newcastle for Bears, Broncos & Titans for Jets, Cowboys for CQLD). There must be no question marks. By nett don't forget costs incurred by existing teams and fans in travelling and accommodation to the new franchises, plus away fans a team can bring to games.

These last points are huge pluses for the Bears, considering the relative proximity of most teams and a national fan base. The other huge pluses for the Bears are merchandising potential with a heritage brand, access to 2 outstanding existing stadiums and a rock-solid financial base. Being ready for 2013 means the NRL can maximise the TV deal by offering 1 extra game from 2013 IF another team can get ready for 2013...Perth look best placed at present.

CQ are no hope for 2013, so I'm happy to leave them out of the argument...

I believe that Ipswich/another SEQ could be up and running for 2013 if they are given the green light by the end of this year...

As I have said previously the TV companies should tender based on the combinations of 2 of the other 3 bids coming in for 2013.

i.e the NRL IC says to Channel 9/7 how much will you pay for 18 team comp with the following as the expansion teams;

1 CC and Reds
2 Reds and SEQ
3 CC and SEQ

If the answer is the same for all, than by all means give one of the spots to the CC.

If they will pay an extra $50 mil ( $10 mil per year) or more for one of the others, than give it to them...

If the IC were to put in one combination in, at an overall cost to the game and the other clubs for one of the other combinations, than that would be a breach of their professional duties...

We wont know though until the exercise has been done...

I personally feel that your other points about merchandise and member numbers dont carry that much weight....

Not only that but selling merchandise at a national retail store albeit in stores on the central coast only but available at your local best and less via request in store or by phone/email with no obligation to purchase. Going to great measures to ensure maximum revenue and marketing pre bid submission. All with the NRLs blessing too. I don't think any other bid in any sport in Australia has had merchandise available at retail stores before bid submission, let alone official approval for a license.

The Central Coast Bears aren't playing around. With a commited bid team and passionate locals like Beowulf and all the other great devoted fans volunteering in the community membership drives. The corporate sectors see the potential of the CCBears and hence the sponsors and local businesses backing the bid and team. The Central Coast Bears have support and have viability. They'll keep the ball rolling.

They have said themselves they're not looking to come in till 2015. They are only at the intital stages, like where Central Coast were 2-3 years agao and CQLD and Perth 1-2 years ago. CQLD ahve said 2014 at earliest, WA reds are hopeful of being ready by 2013 and the Bears have already been put on standby twice in the past year, for Sharks and Storm.

Oh do tell!

The Central Coast BEARS have passed 5000 financial members. Congratulations to everyone who signed on and put their hard earnt towards the bid. This is a big step to assuring that the Central Coast get their own NRL team and that the return of the mighty Bears is nigh!

Beowulf

Juniors
what media talk?

Gary Freeman was pumping a Shark relocation big time second half of the season on Fox. Also yesterday on Sydney radio Sky Sports Radio, Jimmy Smith & Stuart Clark (the cricketer - a Sharks fan) were saying the Sharks are doomed long term so the NRL should relocate them. They also dissed the CC Bears bid, saying the NRL don't want them!

Shows how little they know....Central Coast Bears and WA Reds for 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts