What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears - Stand Aside

Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
DS

Problem is we have been hearing this for about 2-3 years now.

I hope all your eggs are not in the one basket (residential development on a swamp).
That's pretty much exactly how it is with the Sharks. Don't see a plan B. If the development really goes through they might actually be ok, but it certainly isn't the slamdunk they think it is.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cheers mate. How's it coming along with the bid - we both need each other up to speed for a 2013 entry!

From what I know pretty well. Quite a lot happening outside of the public gaze, the WARL commisioned two reports that have not been made public. One showed the NRL the value of a Perth team to a wide range of areas including TV and the other was for the WA Govt showing the value to the State of having an NRL team here in Perth.

The membership packages launched recently are far better than previously and should get a good uptake. Dissapointing we lost the pre season trial game as it was the perfect opportunity to directly market them to 12k WA RL fans.

Our jnr development programmes continue to improve and we have high hopes the SG Ball team will do better this year, even though last year was nothing to be ashamed of given the challenges they faced.

I have heard on the grapevine we also have some interested backers. Not sure if these are individuals or companies.

The stadium redevelopment has moved another step forward with WA Govt buying out the Town of Vincent, this was one of the last hurdles and work is expected to commence on the new stand end of this year.

Finally our supporters group is taking shape and we now have a steering committee to organise things. Hoping to launch it all prior to the Sth's game in June so we can be signing people up there.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
Interesting times with expansion...

The Bears need expansion to be in 2013. If its at all delayed by a year or two, all hope is lost really as they will be passed by Qld. They are ready now, but offer little long term growth. Unfortunately for them, the current clubs are cold on the idea of another NSW club, and also on 2013 expansion (they want to stabilise the current set up before expanding in 2014-15).

Perth are a must for TV scheduling and money, especially with Anti-Siphoning changes and the pending ARLC.

Queensland makes the most sense for expansion, having only 3 clubs in the games second biggest market. But the two bids strengths are polar oposites.

My money is on Ipswich Jets and Perth Reds but in 2015 not 2013.

dannyboy

Juniors
That's pretty much exactly how it is with the Sharks. Don't see a plan B. If the development really goes through they might actually be ok, but it certainly isn't the slamdunk they think it is.

So Mr Mixmatosis
While I agree that the Sharks are history if the development is a white elephant, whats the vermins' Plan B if Rusty decides he's tired of his toy & goes back to movieland.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I could live with 2015 as long as the NRL had some strategy in the in between years to help us grow the game here, ie FTA TV, funding for a NSW cup team, 3 or 4 NRL games a year etc

adamkungl

Immortal
So Mr Mixmatosis
While I agree that the Sharks are history if the development is a white elephant, whats the vermins' Plan B if Rusty decides he's tired of his toy & goes back to movieland.

well they're over 15,000 members for a start...I think they've certainly secured their future for the short to medium term, and if they ever have a successful year (long shot, i know) they'll continue to grow.

Bro Bear

Juniors
More positive news for the Bears - long term growth for sure. Stadium, sponsorship, fast growing area, members, good juniors and proven to be NRL standard and now a HQ. Manly and Newcastle will have to get used to it. Bears and Reds for 2013, QLD clubs for 2015 or 2018.

A NSW Liberals & Nationals Government will secure the Mount Penang site on the Central Coast for the establishment of a Central Coast Bears headquarters, NSW Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell and the Liberal Central Coast team announced today.

Under the proposal the site, owned by the NSW Government, would be reserved as a special sporting precinct to be developed with administrative and training facilities when the Central Coast Bears consortium is successful in securing an NRL franchise license for 2013.

Mr O’Farrell met with Bears representatives including CEO Greg Florimo, Head of Football Operations David Fairleigh and Director Ken Sayer, who is also CEO of the Bear’s major sponsor Mortgage House at the site along with Liberal Candidate for Gosford Chris Holstein, Liberal Candidate for The Entrance Chris Spence, Liberal Candidate for Wyong Darren Webber, and Liberal Member for Terrigal Chris Hartcher.

Mr O’Farrell said the proposal will allow the Bears to approach the NRL with a comprehensive plan for a new Rugby League team for the Central Coast.

“The Central Coast loves its sport and the group behind the Central Coast Bears bid has been working hard to develop a strong supporter base on the Central Coast," Mr O'Farrell said.

“The State Government has a role to play in that process and a NSW Liberals & Nationals Government will work with the Central Coast community and the Bears to push for a local NRL team," he said.

“This proposal ensures that the Central Coast Bears consortium will be able to present the NRL with a strategic plan in March 2011 that includes provisions for training and administrative facilities.

“The Bears will be subject to the same commercial lease conditions as others at the Mount Penang site but this proposal gives the consortium an option over that lease while they prepare their submission to the NRL.

“If the bid proposal is successful then the land will be immediately available for the construction of new facilities.

"The local Liberal Central Coast team have made it clear to me how important a rugby league team would be here and I'm prepared to do everything I can to back it in."

Greg Florimo welcomed the announcement and said he was looking forward to working with the next NSW Government to establish the NRL’s newest team on the Central Coast.

“This announcement from Barry O'Farrell and the NSW Liberals is a great step forward and will allow us to bring together a great package to present to the NRL," Mr Florimo said.

“The Central Coast and North Shore communities have backed us all the way and we’re excited about establishing a new team here," he said.
“This is a unique location which is already supported by some great businesses, community organisations and events.

"We’re looking forward to adding to that community by establishing new state-of-the-art facilities here at Mount Penang.

“Hundreds of thousands of spectators have visited Blue Tongue Stadium to attend Rugby League events during the past 10 years and a local NRL team is expected to significantly increase the economic benefit brought to the Coast by major sporting events," Mr Florimo said.

Last edited:

jim_57

Staff member
The NRL stated in 2010 that they have no preferred order of entry for expansion teams. They are encouraging bids in areas that have potential for inclusion, ie Central Coast, Perth, western brisbane corridor. They weren't even looking at CQ until D Gallop was impressed by his tour end of the year.

If there is no preferred order of entry, the successful tenders will be whoevers bid is most advanced and ticks all the boxes.

Everyone agrees there will be at least 1 more QLD team in the NRL at some point - the question is, is their bid superior to Central Coast or WA Reds for inclusion THIS TIME. If not this time, then obviously 1 or maybe even 2 QLD teams will enter next time IF they keep going and develop the bids.

Seems a short sighted way of doing things, if a second Brisbane side's bid couldn't be ready by 2013 (they definatley could IMO) but would be able to become a more viable option in 2014-5 then wouldn't you think the NRL would wait the extra year or two for the long term good?

Some of the CC bid supporters on here now seem to be going for the "put us in now, before they get better than us" approach. The panic has quite obviously set in now that a 3rd genuine contender has signalled interest.

FWIW I'd like to see the CC Bears in the NRL, but not at the expense of Brisbane 2 or Perth. I'm yet to be convinced the current 'Jets' bid is the ideal one for the NRL as a Brisbane 2 option though.

BunniesMan

Immortal
So Mr Mixmatosis
Seeing as we're the only profitable Sydney club in 2010, I think we'll do ok even if Crowe was to leave (which is a highly unlikely scenario), and with him we'll continue you to be the best managed team off the field. And just wait for when we start getting on field success, it will only amplify our off field position with memberships etc.

jim_57

Staff member
I'm not happy to quote Smith and Clark at all - I disagree with all their thoughts on Sharks, Reds and Bears. Sharks can sink or swim at Cronulla. They can't move to Gosford anyway because the Bears have the playing rights for another 10 or 11 years. Sharks fans wouldn't travel to the Coast and the Coast would reject them anyway. Plus they don't reconnect with northern Sydney so that suggestion is funny.

WA Reds and Central Coast Bears entry heals old wounds.

The Sharks should be looking at a gradual relocation if they can't survive in Cronulla IMO. Adelaide or Christchurch would be ideal, start by taking 2-4 games a year there to try and build a fanbase then if the need arises pack up ship and move there full time. Same could be said with Manly and Sunshine Coast, if Brookvale can't get an upgrade and it no longer becomes viable for them to play there then they won't have a choice.

andrew057

First Grade
More positive news for the Bears - long term growth for sure. Stadium, sponsorship, fast growing area, members, good juniors and proven to be NRL standard and now a HQ. Manly and Newcastle will have to get used to it. Bears and Reds for 2013, QLD clubs for 2015 or 2018.

A NSW Liberals & Nationals Government will secure the Mount Penang site on the Central Coast for the establishment of a Central Coast Bears headquarters, NSW Opposition Leader Barry O'Farrell and the Liberal Central Coast team announced today.

Under the proposal the site, owned by the NSW Government, would be reserved as a special sporting precinct to be developed with administrative and training facilities when the Central Coast Bears consortium is successful in securing an NRL franchise license for 2013.

Mr O’Farrell met with Bears representatives including CEO Greg Florimo, Head of Football Operations David Fairleigh and Director Ken Sayer, who is also CEO of the Bear’s major sponsor Mortgage House at the site along with Liberal Candidate for Gosford Chris Holstein, Liberal Candidate for The Entrance Chris Spence, Liberal Candidate for Wyong Darren Webber, and Liberal Member for Terrigal Chris Hartcher.

Mr O’Farrell said the proposal will allow the Bears to approach the NRL with a comprehensive plan for a new Rugby League team for the Central Coast.

“The Central Coast loves its sport and the group behind the Central Coast Bears bid has been working hard to develop a strong supporter base on the Central Coast," Mr O'Farrell said.

“The State Government has a role to play in that process and a NSW Liberals & Nationals Government will work with the Central Coast community and the Bears to push for a local NRL team," he said.

“This proposal ensures that the Central Coast Bears consortium will be able to present the NRL with a strategic plan in March 2011 that includes provisions for training and administrative facilities.

“The Bears will be subject to the same commercial lease conditions as others at the Mount Penang site but this proposal gives the consortium an option over that lease while they prepare their submission to the NRL.

“If the bid proposal is successful then the land will be immediately available for the construction of new facilities.

"The local Liberal Central Coast team have made it clear to me how important a rugby league team would be here and I'm prepared to do everything I can to back it in."

Greg Florimo welcomed the announcement and said he was looking forward to working with the next NSW Government to establish the NRL’s newest team on the Central Coast.

“This announcement from Barry O'Farrell and the NSW Liberals is a great step forward and will allow us to bring together a great package to present to the NRL," Mr Florimo said.

“The Central Coast and North Shore communities have backed us all the way and we’re excited about establishing a new team here," he said.
“This is a unique location which is already supported by some great businesses, community organisations and events.

"We’re looking forward to adding to that community by establishing new state-of-the-art facilities here at Mount Penang.

“Hundreds of thousands of spectators have visited Blue Tongue Stadium to attend Rugby League events during the past 10 years and a local NRL team is expected to significantly increase the economic benefit brought to the Coast by major sporting events," Mr Florimo said.

More fantastic news for the Bears bid.

BDGS

Bench

MASSIVE NEWS FOR THE BEARS.

Bears are a no brainer now, i they weren't already.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Sharks should be looking at a gradual relocation if they can't survive in Cronulla IMO. Adelaide or Christchurch would be ideal, start by taking 2-4 games a year there to try and build a fanbase then if the need arises pack up ship and move there full time. Same could be said with Manly and Sunshine Coast, if Brookvale can't get an upgrade and it no longer becomes viable for them to play there then they won't have a choice.

NRL should take some leadership in this and offer them some $'s to do it.

Offer $300k a year for a guaranteed 3 games a year in Adelaide for 4 years. Work with the SARL to maxmise attendances and boost the profile of RL in SA and everyones a winner. Of course that takes some sort of long term strategic plan, oops there's the flaw in my suggestion!

Beowulf

Juniors
MASSIVE NEWS FOR THE BEARS.

Bears are a no brainer now, i they weren't already.

This really is huge - a precinct for the Bears reserved by the soon-to-be Premier....a former Bears supporter! Along with the money allocated by the Labor Govt to put the bid together, we have massive bi-partisan support. The Central Coast is a cluster of marginal elecotrates....its pay off time!

I'm sorry to spoil the party but this doesn't guarantee the Bears re entry.

The Govt. will make the land available IF a license is given to the Bears.

I can't see the NRL making a silly strategic decision in choosing the Bears as the next franchise.

So don't get excited.

BunniesMan

Immortal
ndead

I can't see the NRL making a silly strategic decision in choosing the Bears as the next franchise.

So don't get excited.
Can't wait to hear what all the braindead anti bears morons have to say if the Bears are the next team in. Would be good if you all put your combined 80 iq points together and think of a reply when it happens.

Beowulf

Juniors

So don't get excited.

The proposed Centre of Excelelnce is one resaon Gold Coast won the license last time. It's a major incentive for players to join the franchise. Couldn't wipe the grin off Dave Farleigh's face on the news tonight!

Not sure why you hate the Bears. The Bears have always said they don't want to come in through another team falling over. The NRL approached us, not the other way around.

I've been stating I don't think the NRL would relocate you to Perth.

I also think the Sharks need every friend they can get. If the Bears bid is strong and so is the WA Reds, and they are both admitted to the NRL, your place at Cronulla is safe. Perhaps that's why Sharks management is pro-Bears.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.