What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 Blows Dog

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Willow said:
With respect, I would have thought it was pretty obvious.

It opens up a whole can of worms regarding consistency and who is calling the shots.

The judiciary and the Match Review Committee haven't been the most consistent in the past and now that have opened themselves to more inconsistency than ever before.

Do you really want a partial observer looking for dirt in every game? Would Rohan Carroll, who is apparently a Manly supporter, have felt morally obliged to report a head high tackle if Steve Menzies was the perpetrator?

Rohan, or whoever was instructing him, isnt paid for this. Its not his job and why would he want the work? Its was not Nine's job to be the MRC's reviewer.
It is the MRC's job to find these things out. There should be some sort of statute of limitations.

No problem with the end result. Its the method which should be questioned. What about all the other little things that were missed? Does the MRC now have to look at every match from that weekend? What counts as being submissible and not submissible? Who decides...? Apparently its a junior sub editor at channel nine, acting on his own, if you believe that.

And I can assure I would have the same criticism if it was Nathan Hindmarsh or anyone if they were suspended in this manner. I'd still agree with the verdict but I would be asking questions as to how we got to this stage where anonymous people are doing the MRC's job for them.

Even Steve Crawley (Channel Nine Sports Director) thought it wasn't right when he reportedly phoned the Dragons Club and apologised. according to the SMH (that paper Steve Mascord used to write for), he said he was “uncomfortable with Nine policing rugby league”.

Fair enough, I didn't think of it as opening a can of worms but you're very right on this one.

Steel Dragon

Bench
Its all pretty hilarious - Ribs is a celebrity:D

Do Journo's lurk around chat forums looking for scoops and inside goss?
You could understand the paper article if when Ribs went on his rant, there were others who got on the lunacy bandwagon and were all "yeah c'mon lets smash sh!t up" and so on.
But it was one off handed comment by some random fan (youre not random to us Ribs - but to everyone reading the tele you are).

I thought your original post was funny - I assumed you werent serious, but it was hysterical that Mascord thought anyone would listen to you and face arrest following your advice.

We should make sh!t up and see how serious the press take us, ie start red herring threads! Should be good for (another) laugh!

Saint 60

Juniors
It will b swept under the carpet as soon as channel 09 and the NRL can...

and probibly Saints will be the only team that suffers...Barrett to me got exactly what he deserves...but again Saints will be the only team that suffers from the complete load of rubbish the way it was reported...
thats what stinks -----------

but deep down i spose if I was that worried about it i could of taped every game this week..
i could of found probibly an incident or 2 in every game that the ref and linemen and the clubs missed...and sent it to the NRL...
be nice to do say 3 weeks b4 the finals....?

they have indeed opened a can....a sh#t can...and i bet they'd like to drop it as soon as they can ---

its just not league the way it was done....its dam rubbish.
if anything the league should sue channel 09 for giving them bad publicity
rofl.......

whatever happend to the game of just Sydney clubs? -- b4 we got to dam big and had all this crap to interfer with the game of footy....grrrrrrrr

Godz Illa

Coach
I'm just glad that all the limelight hasn't gone to his head and Ribs is still talking to us. Can I have an autograph, Mr Ribs? hehe

dannyboy

Juniors
Saint 60 said:
...i spose if I was that worried about it i could of taped every game this week..
i could of found probibly an incident or 2 in every game that the ref and linemen and the clubs missed...and sent it to the NRL...

It wouldn't make a difference because what you taped is what would be sent to the match review committee anyhow...they'd see exactly what you saw.

The Barrett issue came from tape that was NOT televised at all.

Saint 60

Juniors
thus proving the way it was done was totally incorrect...
if the incident was not shown on telly...Y is channel 0nine staff reporting the incident???? they are now the NRL Police ?
there are many things that happen in a game that is not reported and or let go...and nobody complains about these incidents...

for an example...Buderous got kicked in the head in the last 5 - 10mins of the last SoO...? he then threw a punch which most of us would...
no problem there....but no punishment except a penalty to the wrong side?
the kick itself would surely be worth some time off the field to the naughty boy?
rather one sided i would argue...?

as i said...channel 09 bought this on themselves...whether it was shown on telly or not...and i bet they hope it goes away fast ----

Willow

Assistant Moderator
dannyboy said:
It wouldn't make a difference because what you taped is what would be sent to the match review committee anyhow...they'd see exactly what you saw.

The Barrett issue came from tape that was NOT televised at all.
Actually, that's not entirely correct. The video ref and the MRC have access to a number of angles and can access extra angles if they are available.

In the case of Barrett-Carney, there was a man down (Carney) with the broadcast showing that he was hurt in the tackle. There was also a query from Kinghts forward Craig Smith. For reasons unknown, the MRC didnt investigate or ask for additional angles.

In the end, Channel 9 did the job for them... possibly forcing the MRC's hand? Incompetance? Who knows? As has been said, the method employed in bringing justice to the table raises a number of questions. At the very least, the MRC didn't do their job.

Andrew Voss said on the Footy Show that if the MRC didn't act on the video footage, he would have exposed the tackle on national TV later on.

Join the dots. Who's running the MRC?

LocalDarby

Juniors
Ribs isnt the only member of the forums to make the telegraph. a few years ago a certain member's satirical take on "liberating the shire from the mainland" made a mention and scored a spot on the "heres luck" section of the daily telegraph website...

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Remember it well LD. Presumably you're still waiting for the cheque as well. ;-)

Meanwhile, I've found some more work for Rohan to mull over....

2006_13_00-400.jpg

2006_13_00-400-1.jpg

Keep in mind that Coops has been suspended for a dangerous throw from the same match, and the MRC claim that missing the Barrett incident was a rarity.

Ribs

Bench
EMAIL IT......... The Craprag tele had a big 'crackdown' issue, send it to them too, and Rohan. Send it to John Howard!

HevyDevy

Coach
I don't see a hand between the legs in that shot Willow, but don't let the rules of the game interfere with your rant

Ribs

Bench
The return of the brain dead flea.

Beyond horizontal, dickhead.

Are you honestly saying that its ok to spear someone headfirst into the ground, as long as you dont have a hand between the legs?

The Preacher

First Grade
HevyDevy said:
I don't see a hand between the legs in that shot Willow, but don't let the rules of the game interfere with your rant

:crazy: :crazy: Warning - Goose Alert - Longneck on line !!- Warning:crazy: :crazy:

You Flip
Then again, you'd be an expert on blokes having a hand between their legs, wouldn't you ???

Latest posts