What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 doing more for AFL than NRL

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Just checked sevens website it looks as though they have AFL on Friday night 8.30pm Nationally, they will get a big fat greek thumping I reckon.

Sign of things to come though? They have to really push AFL to get their money back, we are dead set under fire at the moment, can't even get a story on back page tv show last night.

Can we get the players out to night clubs or something and get back in the news??

El Diablo

Post Whore
Cumberland Throw said:
can't even get a story on back page tv show last night.

The Back Page is sh*t and has been since Chippy died and Paul Kent moved o/s. i don't think they even have a Rugby League panelist.

i wouldn't watch it in a fit

El Diablo said:
The Back Page is sh*t and has been since Chippy died and Paul Kent moved o/s. i don't think they even have a Rugby League panelist.

i wouldn't watch it in a fit

I dont watch it anymore either , the sparring between chippy and fitzsimmons was great stuff!

on a side note has anyone noticed that tracey holmes ( who sometimes appears on back page) will be hosting ABC grandstand again!?

so we have a choice between 2GB and Tracey ' I hate rugby league' Holmes over at 702 abc. I realise we wont here that much of her when the rugby league is on but they do cut to the host for updates of other sports.

any tracey holmes is too much tracey holmes IMO.

El Diablo

Post Whore
ParraEelsNRL said:
Back page didn't even mention the WCC :x

did they mention the AFL clown who got done for assault?

they hardly ever mentioned scandals/indescretions involving AFL players

the gloves were off when it was a RL player though

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
El Diablo said:
did they mention the AFL clown who got done for assault?

they hardly ever mentioned scandals/indescretions involving AFL players

the gloves were off when it was a RL player though

Tiny little bit, made a few jokes then it was forgotten.:roll:

JW

Coach
Ugly Betty said:
I saw it in a tv guide as well on Friday.

I doubt this thou, its likely an error!!

Double checked its on Friday night in Brisbane at 8:30pm!!

First Chicken Run, then First Wives Club. Now the Flogball will be on the end of a severe slaughter at the hands of...

my_big_fat_greek_wedding.jpg

eelandia

Juniors
herbert henry1908 said:
I dont watch it anymore either...

Same here. Do they even have Rugby League panelists anymore? Gibbo doesn't count as I suspect he is going senile. Rubbish show.

tiburon

Juniors
herbert henry1908 said:
I dont watch it anymore either , the sparring between chippy and fitzsimmons was great stuff!

on a side note has anyone noticed that tracey holmes ( who sometimes appears on back page) will be hosting ABC grandstand again!?

so we have a choice between 2GB and Tracey ' I hate rugby league' Holmes over at 702 abc. I realise we wont here that much of her when the rugby league is on but they do cut to the host for updates of other sports.

any tracey holmes is too much tracey holmes IMO.

Is Holmes the one that kept ripping into league on the back page when webcke was on promoting his book and then kept asking why he would play a sport like rugby league and not go to union etc.?

tiburon said:
Is Holmes the one that kept ripping into league on the back page when webcke was on promoting his book and then kept asking why he would play a sport like rugby league and not go to union etc.?

not sure , but that sounds like Tracey Holmes , she is a real low life.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,21310373%255E19742,00.html
Nine grabs consolation prize
02 March 2007 Herald-Sun
Damian Barrett

CHANNEL 9 may have lost the AFL's television rights but it has gained advertising revenue associated with the game.

Foxtel announced it would spend millions of dollars in advertising and sponsorship arrangements with Nine after more disagreements in its long-running standoff with AFL broadcast partners Channels 7 and 10.
Three Nine football programs will be sponsored in the deal.
For 2007-11, Foxtel is to broadcast four matches weekly, with Seven and Ten each to cover two games a week.
PBL, which controls Nine, owns 25 per cent of Foxtel

I'm not suprised but don't really see the big deal with 9 showing an AFL program in the southern states.

What I DO have a problem with is the lack of promo of League at the moment, we are merely 2 weeks away from the start of the season, and SFA to be seen.

Stations such as 7 & 10 have effectively bought the contract to promote rules above and beyond any other sport, similarly radio stations such as MMM only talk AFL. They are attempting to create hype around the sport and block any league talk as if the entire population of Sydney are eager to hear it.

AFL has its market here and its growing. Kudos to them for taking the bull by the horns. Instead of a bull, the NRL & 9 are tugging on the wispy tail of a 2-legged goat.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21311075-7582,00.html

Nine's plan to hijack the footy

* Nick Tabakoff and Michael Bodey
* March 02, 2007

THE Nine Network, which will not show a single AFL game this year, plans to become "football's pirate station" after signing Foxtel as the main sponsor of its three AFL programs.
Industry estimates put the value of the one-year deal - which will involve Nine's Footy Show, Sunday Morning Footy Show and a new Monday football program, Football Confidential - at more than $2 million.

It was initiated by senior PBL management, in conjunction with Nine boss Eddie McGuire, on Wednesday as the network moved to capitalise on the bitter dispute between the Seven and Ten networks and Foxtel.

Television industry sources said they believed it was the first principal sponsorship of a major free-to-air television program by Foxtel, which is 25 per cent owned by News Limited, publisher of The Australian.

The sponsorship announcement followed news earlier this week of a move by Seven and Ten to ban AFL advertising from Foxtel until further notice, after Foxtel attempted to run advertisements on the two networks promoting its live coverage of AFL games. Nine will broadcast the contentious Foxtel advertisements and will show Foxtel sponsor billboards at the beginning and end of each program. Mr McGuire told The Australian last night: "If people want to watch Collingwood versus the Western Bulldogs, it's silly to pretend it's not on pay-TV. It's like standing against the tide."

He said Nine intended to become "football's pirate station", as it had been prior to 2001. "In a lot of ways, Foxtel are the AFL broadcasting station, and we're the AFL station for news and the big names."

But the move yesterday led to a new round of hostilities from Seven. Ian Johnson, CEO of Seven in Melbourne, said: "I would have thought free-to-air television was something that should be protected as an industry and you wouldn't promote your competitors."

Simon Francis, Seven's director of corporate development, went further: "We do applaud Nine - as a half owner of Fox Sports and major shareholder in Foxtel - on investing advertising dollars in itself and becoming the free-to-air promotional arm of pay-television."

Industry sources saw the latest development as heralding a new period of hostilities between Seven and Ten, and Nine and Foxtel. "This is an explosive move, designed to be highly competitive," said prominent media buyer Harold Mitchell. "It's unlikely to bring any of the parties closer together for a long period of time."

The new Nine-Foxtel deal is understood to have been done within an hour on Wednesday morning, after calls by senior PBL executives to Foxtel boss Kim Williams. The Foxtel arrangement was a convenient way to fill a sponsorship hole for Nine. Mobile phone retailer Crazy John's was the major sponsor of The Footy Show last year, but its sponsorship arrangements with Nine were put on hold for the first half of 2007.

Nine officially launched its 2007 season AFL programming in Melbourne last night. Ex-Kangaroos premiership captain and former Foxtel identity Wayne Carey signed this week with Nine, joining other high-profile recent recruits including former Seven commentator Craig Hutchison and The Age's Caroline Wilson as new faces for the network's AFL programming.

Eddie has to go

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/enews/Footy-Confidential-020307.html

Footy Confidential
Author: Nine Network | Mar 2, 2007, 09:34

Wayne Carey and Caroline Wilson join Garry Lyon and Craig Hutchison for Footy Confidential.

Football is set for a shake-up when the game’s biggest names and agenda-setters lock horns on Footy Confidential on the Nine Network for a provocative look at the AFL landscape.

One of the greatest players of all, Wayne Carey, and Australia’s most fearless football reporter, Caroline Wilson, will join Garry Lyon and Nine’s new AFL editor, Craig Hutchison, every Monday at 10.30pm to tackle the sport’s burning issues.

“It’s great to be back at Channel Nine where it all started for me on The Footy Show,” Carey said today.

“I am looking forward to a new and exciting season working with the best in the business.”

Hutchison said: ”We are delighted to lure Wayne to Nine – he’s one of football’s all-time greats, with opinions that make people stop and take notice.”

Footy Confidential will maintain the strong AFL on Nine brand as the must-watch program every Monday night for everything that’s happening on and off the field.

“With the straightforward approach from Caroline alongside Garry Lyon, Nine’s AFL football great, it promises to deliver an enviable blend of opinion and conflict, even among ourselves,” Hutchison said.

“AFL on Nine is the home of breaking news, entertainment and hard-nosed opinions on the game.

“We’re the only network committed to weekly news and entertainment football programming and viewers won’t miss a beat about what’s happening in the world of AFL.”

Fearless and confrontational, Footy Confidential will be a fiery combination of conflicting opinions, breaking stories, expert analysis and insight, with guests ranging from coaches, players and club presidents to anyone central to the raging issues of the day.

“There’ll be no cosy couch to relax on,” Hutchison said.

“Our guests will be grilled and we’ll be grilling each other. Our team are all from different walks of life, with a different slant on the game. There’ll be nothing comfortable about it, so fireworks are inevitable.”

FOOTY CONFIDENTIAL Premieres Monday, April 2 at 10.30pm on Nine

how about every beat of the NRL, dickhead?

McCrud

Juniors
I saw a Channel Nine/Broncos ad yesterday, so that's something.

As for all this other garbage, screw McGuire - it's getting out of hand.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
WTF is going on, I'm happy I got fox now, but 9 is supposed to be the home of RL, this guy is a merkin, I hope he dies.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Where are these reporters who constantly take stuff from LU and print it?

Why are you sitting back and letting this fat victorian mekin do this?

Where are the questions in the newspapers?

Or have you all been bought off by the AFL aswell?

Arseholes.