What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Channel 9 wants to kill of a sydney club

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Then there was the time between 1983 till 1996 ( apart from 1987 ) when we all basket cases because of our team, I've seen my team go through absolute highs and absolute lows so I don't take anything for granted.

I originally remember the chooks in the 90s as an average team, not a juggernaut but not basket cases either. But they’ve been one of the top 2-3 sides for consistent success since the turn of the millennium.

I originally remember the chooks in the 90s as an average team, not a juggernaut but not basket cases either. But they’ve been one of the top 2-3 sides for consistent success since the turn of the millennium.

When Russell Fairfax was coach, we regularly had 50+ put on us. We were also going the way of Newton Jets before Politis took over such was our situation. Definitely a basket case for a while there.

T-Boon

Coach
Does Politis have a son or some family member who is as committed to the Roosters as he is?
I am hoping when he is too old for it the Roosters are going to regress as a club and some other club with better merits will supersede them as the Sydney power club.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does Politis have a son or some family member who is as committed to the Roosters as he is?
I am hoping when he is too old for it the Roosters are going to regress as a club and some other club with better merits will supersede them as the Sydney power club.

He’s set them up financially for a long rich future.

When Russell Fairfax was coach, we regularly had 50+ put on us. We were also going the way of Newton Jets before Politis took over such was our situation. Definitely a basket case for a while there.

The turn around started in the early 1990s when they got rid of Ron Jones form Easts Leagues Club. he'd run the place into the ground. They only just got it all done up and running smoothly when the board's attention turned to the football club. Problem is that was 1995 and along came Super League...….

adamkungl

Immortal

The problem with this wishful thinking is
How do you see another club superseding them if other clubs continue on their current path?
The success or failure of other clubs has nothing to do with Easts.

Roosters disappearing wouldn't change the fortunes of anyone else. It's not like Politis is soaking up resources someone else could be using.
Politis' retirement won't
transform Brookvale into a passable stadium
stop Eels from constantly infighting
make Penrith stop making sex tapes and punting all their juniors
end Paul McGregors employment as an NRL coach

Expect better from your own clubs instead of trying to drag down competent ones.

adamkungl

Immortal
He’s set them up financially for a long rich future.

He's set it up so the money will take care of itself. The club owns a healthy property portfolio and the board is stacked with wealthy successful business people.

There could be a valid concern that the next Chair won't have the same devotion and real love for the club that Politis does. A different chair might (hypothetical worst case) come in and relocate us to Perth, change the logo to a cool sounding weather pattern, and swap the club to Rugby Union.

But back to the board. Luke Ricketson stands out as the only member who isn't a CEO or executive director of a company. My suspicion is Ricketson will provide the steadying influence, ensure the club stays true when the money men get big ideas.

Reflector

Juniors

I remember hearing that after Canberra put 66 points on them in 1990, Russell wouldn't allow the team coach to stop off on the return trip to Sydney to grab beers, and put on an instant replay of the match instead. Watching the Panthers game on the weekend, I was thinking O'Brien should do something like that with the Knights next year if they repeat a performance like that.

T-Boon

Coach
The problem with this wishful thinking is
How do you see another club superseding them if other clubs continue on their current path?
The success or failure of other clubs has nothing to do with Easts.

Roosters disappearing wouldn't change the fortunes of anyone else. It's not like Politis is soaking up resources someone else could be using.
Politis' retirement won't
transform Brookvale into a passable stadium
stop Eels from constantly infighting
make Penrith stop making sex tapes and punting all their juniors
end Paul McGregors employment as an NRL coach

Expect better from your own clubs instead of trying to drag down competent ones.

The roosters ability to sign unbelievable rosters could suffer if Nic isn’t replaced by someone like him. So a guy like Tedesco might stay at the Tigers or sign with the new super club. This makes a difference. If Tedesco was with another Sydney club the competition would be more interesting.

adamkungl

Immortal
The roosters ability to sign unbelievable rosters could suffer if Nic isn’t replaced by someone like him. So a guy like Tedesco might stay at the Tigers or sign with the new super club. This makes a difference. If Tedesco was with another Sydney club the competition would be more interesting.

Tigers already had Tedesco and weren't successful.
Tedesco going somewhere else might give them an on-field boost for a year or 3, but doesn't change the culture of the club to build for sustained success.
Every club (well almost) is capable of making the finals in any given year. Roosters Storm and Broncos separate themselves from the pack by doing it year on year.
That's a back office thing, and if your back office is up and down and infighting and paying fines for cheating, your roster is still gonna be all over the place no matter what Roosters do.

He's set it up so the money will take care of itself. The club owns a healthy property portfolio and the board is stacked with wealthy successful business people.

There could be a valid concern that the next Chair won't have the same devotion and real love for the club that Politis does. A different chair might (hypothetical worst case) come in and relocate us to Perth, change the logo to a cool sounding weather pattern, and swap the club to Rugby Union.

But back to the board. Luke Ricketson stands out as the only member who isn't a CEO or executive director of a company. My suspicion is Ricketson will provide the steadying influence, ensure the club stays true when the money men get big ideas.

Have a look at our board mate. Ricko may be the big name ex-player on it, but most of the directors on the board have been roosters fans for decades. Guys Like Brien Samphier have been involved for over 30 years at all levels in the club. IIRC, it was his blue print which got the Leagues Club back on a good footing post Ron Jones. People like him would not relocate the club.

T-Boon

Coach
Tigers already had Tedesco and weren't successful.
Tedesco going somewhere else might give them an on-field boost for a year or 3, but doesn't change the culture of the club to build for sustained success.
Every club (well almost) is capable of making the finals in any given year. Roosters Storm and Broncos separate themselves from the pack by doing it year on year.
That's a back office thing, and if your back office is up and down and infighting and paying fines for cheating, your roster is still gonna be all over the place no matter what Roosters do.

Yep, well, I look forward to seeing the Roosters not have so much success signing the likes of Tedesco. That signing did a lot of damage to the game in Sydney in my opinion.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Yep, well, I look forward to seeing the Roosters not have so much success signing the likes of Tedesco. That signing did a lot of damage to the game in Sydney in my opinion.
Oh dear... You seem to have gone full T-Boon again...

Perth Red

Post Whore
As they say, dont hate us, be like us.
If other clubs cant compete that is their own problem not the Roosters, Storm or Broncos. I can see Eels joining the big three if they can get stability in the board. Souths briefly threatened but their fans dont like ANZ so that is an anchor around their neck to being amongst the games powerhouses. After that its hard to see anyone stepping up to the next level, Wests might if they moved 90% of games to Bankwest and built their crowds there. Warriors continue to be sleeping Giants and be interesting to see if the new stadium boosts NQ to another level of revenue and subsequent consistent on field success.

T-Boon

Coach
The broncos aren’t a powerhouse on the field. Storms run will come to an end very soon. Roosters will hopefully regress soon. I hate them for many reasons. The Swans should buy the Roosters for a walnut.
Parra will hopefully replace the storm and roosters at the top. That’s what everyone in the game wants.

ACTPanthers

Bench
The broncos aren’t a powerhouse on the field. Storms run will come to an end very soon. Roosters will hopefully regress soon. I hate them for many reasons. The Swans should buy the Roosters for a walnut.
Parra will hopefully replace the storm and roosters at the top. That’s what everyone in the game wants.

Only Parra fans want that...

T-Boon

Coach
Only Parra fans want that...

Everybody wants the Roosters and Storm to regress. Even their own fans are bored.

Most RL fans seem to think Parra would be a suitable super club and they are right. When ever Parra has been a super club they have made sure that the game is played in the right spirit (including style of play). The same cannot be said for Melbourne and the Roosters.

You’re going to be disappointed cos he setting the club up to have a billion dollars in assets when pulls up stumps